Wii - Red Steel 24.99 Used (EB Games)

phrogxix

CAG Veteran
Long time reader, first time poster so be gentle :)

Considering that it's only a few months old, I was suprised to check into my local EB Games (Downers Grove, IL) to find that Red Steel had been marked down TWENTY bucks from what I had seen it only a few days earlier to 24.99 *Used*.

Despite being very hit or miss with reviewers, I'm having a great time with it and it's definetly worth picking up for 50% off of retail. Every other used Wii title is still 44.99 (5 dollars off for used? Pfft.), so Red Steel, used from EB Games, is basically now the cheapest software you can get for the Wii.

Hope this is helpful! :D

is anyone going to brave this one and let us know? is it really as bad as the reviews suggest? i know its supposed to be horrid, but for some reason im still intrigued and i probably wont believe how bad it is until i try it myself...

The game is decent, I liked it and payed 8 bucks to rent it.

Still, it's not one of those games you cherish and keep forever. I'd say wait until it hits $20 or less.

If not for the recurrence of my FPS-sickness, I would have kept my launch copy. It's not more than $20 good, but then, neither are a lot of games. I'm planning on buying it again once it drops low enough, before the (hopefully improved) sequel shows up sometime next year. If you're one to belabor imperfect controls and the occasional graphical glitch, don't bother. But it's certainly playable and, dare I say, enjoyable.

[quote name='Gycot']is anyone going to brave this one and let us know? is it really as bad as the reviews suggest? i know its supposed to be horrid, but for some reason im still intrigued and i probably wont believe how bad it is until i try it myself...[/quote]

No, it definitely isn't as bad as some reviews suggest. I played through it, had a lot of fun and still play the multiplayer from time to time. The controls take some time to master and the mutiplayer options are limited, but I agree with the NP rating of 8/10.

It has some unfair expectations placed on it. The sword fighting is weak, the plot and voice acting mediocre. But, it actually is fun to play through. There is little replay value (for single players), but for a launch game, it is not bad. The fps controls on the wii work fine.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm not going to buy a shitty game just because it's cheap.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately i don't think the majority of this forum shares your sentiments.

[quote name='onikage']No, it definitely isn't as bad as some reviews suggest. I played through it, had a lot of fun and still play the multiplayer from time to time. The controls take some time to master and the mutiplayer options are limited, but I agree with the NP rating of 8/10.[/quote]

Limited isnt the word...

I wanted to do a multiplayer swordfight, but as far as I am aware, it is impossible. Damnit!

I wanted the game for the swordfighting, but its decent, like a 6.5/10 to me

its a decent $20 purchase if you're a BIG fan of FPSes. I just might go ahead and rebuy this... but I'm out of cash for a good while.

It's not nearly bad as people suggest. I have a feeling that most who played it played very little of it or not for very long. In the long run the game is probably a 7 or 7.5. But the learning curve is very steep.

I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit when I rented it, not amazing, but worth the $30 price. Don't expect the second coming of the FPS or an amazing swordfighting game, but when the aiming works, it feels real good. Unfortunately it doesn't always work.

I have to agree that it's worth 25 or less. Game gets a lot more interesting once you get farther and farther into Tokyo.

This game is meh. Its fun for a while, as it feels amazing to actually phsyically aim at people, but once the initial wow factor wears off you realize that you are playing an awful FPS. THe difficulty is way off, the sword fighting system is broken, the last part of the game has literally punishing difficulty, and it is short. I recommend trying it, to see a glimpse of what an FPS could do on the WIi, but this one is $20 tops.

I thought it was a solid piece of work. Similar in quality (as a pure FPS) to, say, Sin Episodes. Not particularly deep or memorable, but it is solid enough to get through to the end. Wouldn't be playable without the Wiimote, as it would be too generic, but I thought it was worth $25, as it was a blast with the Wiimote.

I saw it for that price when I was in EB on Friday. Given that it's dropped this far this fast, I'm content to wait until it's sub-$20.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']unfortunately i don't think the majority of this forum shares your sentiments.[/quote]

Ditto.

I don't get the people who complain about the difficulty; I thought the game was very easy if you used the slow-motion aiming system (meaning: you just suck).

I like the word generic used above in reference to this game. You feel like you're playing GoldenEye64, but some effects (lighting, particularly) are amazing and you have the pixel-perfect aiming of the Wiimote.

I think it's absolutely worth 30 as far as its current competition in the genre.

[quote name='snipegod']I thought the game was very easy if you used the slow-motion aiming system
[/quote]

Yea, I definitely killed less and less people as the stages went on. I just made almost everyone surrender. Good game.

[quote name='blandstalker']I saw it for that price when I was in EB on Friday. Given that it's dropped this far this fast, I'm content to wait until it's sub-$20.[/quote]

Agreed. I figure by the time I finish my backlog of Wii games, I should be able to snag this for below $20 (be it by sale or coupon or whatnot).

Used the BB $5 coupon and got it for $25, have not played it yet, but if it is not any good for that price I can always trade it or whatever.

I enjoyed it quite a bit also. I thin as stated most people who give it low scores tried it for too short of period. Give it 2-3 hours and you wil have an enjoyable easy to use game.

Definately $30 worth of game to me.

bread's done
Back