Wii Sales vs. Homophobia

rickonker

CAGiversary!
I think it's safe to say a lot of GC sales were to preteen boys, say ages 6-13. Older than that and they probably got a PS2 or Xbox. Obviously there are many exceptions to this but still. As you all know, in most cases the younger you are the more you get influenced by peer pressure. Isn't the "Wii" name a huge risk? Most of these kids go to schools where discussing video games is very common and calling someone gay is the most popular insult. If the "gay" label attaches itself to the Wii a lot of easily influenced kids will avoid it like the plague.

I think Nintendo knows that "Wii" sounds silly to most adults but they're counting on kids to buy it. I don't believe this "Wii is a universal name" shit for a second, they're not that stupid. But if Wii "sounds gay" to at least some kids and sounds ridiculous to some adults, who's left?

It seems like Nintendo is trying to make the Wii the iPod of consoles, meaning it doesn't have the most features or anything, it's just supposed to look cool and be easy to use. We all know how the iPod got a huge boost from so many people spreading positive reactions. Isn't it possible for negative reactions to the Wii to spread just as quickly?

I guess "gamecube," "playstation," and even "xbox" can all be related to homosexuality in some way. But come on, "Wii"? I can just picture Jay Leno announcing the release of the Wii in his monologue this November. I know kids don't watch Jay Leno but all it takes is some of the "popular" kids to decide the Wii is "too gay" for them and the rest will follow. Obviously a lot of Wiis (what the fuck kind of word is "wiis") will be sold, but I still think the name will have consequences beyond the obvious ones that everybody's already figured out.

I haven't been a preteen for a long time so I have no idea how "Wii" would be received nowadays.

But if you're asking will negative reactions will spread, certainly. If there are negative reactions. Issues with a name will only go so far till it's old, as we've seen here (where a lot of us have the attitude of preteens). I think the success of the Wii will depend solely on the games and the advertising.

Yes, I'll be getting the xbox 360 because I need a console to compensate for my small penis. :roll:

Anyone that chooses what to buy for such a stupid reason needs to be hit in the teeth with a locker.

He has a good point though. Kids will want the console that all their friends have so they feel like they fit in. I don't think it will make or break the console but it will have some effect.

[quote name='Kayden']
Anyone that chooses what to buy for such a stupid reason needs to be hit in the teeth with a locker.[/quote]

For the WIN!

[quote name='depascal22']He has a good point though. Kids will want the console that all their friends have so they feel like they fit in. I don't think it will make or break the console but it will have some effect.[/QUOTE]
He has a point if the hypothetical situation of kids going apeshit ridiculing the name occurs. Otherwise there's no reason the Wii can't be the console that all their friends have.

Sony should then go for the "masculine" angle in their marketing.

$250 consoles are for HOMOS! DO YOU WANT TO BE A HOMO, KID? BUY A $600 MAN MACHINE!

[quote name='rickonker']
... Isn't the "Wii" name a huge risk? Most of these kids go to schools where discussing video games is very common and calling someone gay is the most popular insult. If the "gay" label attaches itself to the Wii a lot of easily influenced kids will avoid it like the plague.

I think Nintendo knows that "Wii" sounds silly to most adults but they're counting on kids to buy it. I don't believe this "Wii is a universal name" shit for a second, they're not that stupid. But if Wii "sounds gay" to at least some kids and sounds ridiculous to some adults, who's left?

I guess "gamecube," "playstation," and even "xbox" can all be related to homosexuality in some way. But come on, "Wii"? I can just picture Jay Leno announcing the release of the Wii in his monologue this November. I know kids don't watch Jay Leno but all it takes is some of the "popular" kids to decide the Wii is "too gay" for them and the rest will follow. Obviously a lot of Wiis (what the fuck kind of word is "wiis") will be sold, but I still think the name will have consequences beyond the obvious ones that everybody's already figured out.[/QUOTE]

Someone has some sexuality issues she needs to work out. Gay this, gay that... not knowing that the gay community has been driving whats fashionable for quite some time.

Wait till college and see which friends you ask for advice for what to wear on a date.

I think Nintendo had a very good and appropriate name with Revolution, and I was sorry to see it go. However, I've already gotten used to the name Wii, and if the software delivers the masses will too. You can't get much "gayer" than the name GameBoy, and it managed to sell a couple tens of millions of systems.

The following seems appropriate:

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
—William Shakespeare

If I was a teenage boy and my friends seriously ridiculed me for the name of my videogame system, then I'd find new friends.

Ahhh yes, high school. I remember those days. That was when the only source of sex I could have was from myself.

And maybe an improvised instrument here or there.

[quote name='Strell']Ahhh yes, high school. I remember those days. That was when the only source of sex I could have was from myself.

And maybe an improvised instrument here or there.[/quote]
:rofl:

I remember that time some guy named Carlo assplowed me after I rented Ballz 3D on SNES.

I mean, I'm not gay, but I figured, "Well, the name of the game is sorta faggy...so I guess I'm obligated to participate."

WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS.

Granted, I was 18 or 19 when the gameboy first came out, but I didn't think for an instant what my friends would say about having something called GameBoy sticking out of my pocket.

If someone is so insecure with their sexuality that they have to make fun of the name of a product you bought, perhaps a sock full of wood screws to the side of the head will make it clear what you think of their opinions.

Wow... fucking Wow. I see that SOME of you are forgetting to read the dictionary. Yes, I mean YOU, mr. rickonker.

gay
adj. gay·er, gay·est
  1. Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
  2. Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.
  3. Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.
  4. Given to social pleasures.
  5. Dissolute; licentious.
Wii is a piece of plastic and metal conglamorated into a single box. Yes, perhaps it can be BRIGHT OR LIVELY (especially in color), or you will be GAY (as in: merry) and if you're playing with friends, it's technically a social pleasure, so GAY it is.

But something tells me that when you say GAY you mean gay as in "brokeback mountain" gay. Hard MAN LOVE gay. Gay as in "your uncle" gay.

So, allow me to summarize:

No.

Shame on you.

How many kids would associate that with piss or dick these days? Have you been to a school lately? If anything, douchebags will say the system is "gay" because it's made by Nintendo. I mean, fuck, Nintendo is GHEY.

The Wii does sound gay and I'm not exactly rallying for gay marriage, but it's not like that's going to convince me to not get a Wii.

[quote name='mykevermin']Sony should then go for the "masculine" angle in their marketing.

$250 consoles are for HOMOS! DO YOU WANT TO BE A HOMO, KID? BUY A $600 MAN MACHINE![/QUOTE]
works for the car industry...

Well, Nintendo should learn a lesson from SNK, whose portable "cocksmoker" didn't do well in the states.

It was, strangely enough, an immense hit in Spain.

I can't see any reason why someone so stable over their manliness can be afraid of such a thing which puts you in a controversial position which you can go f..igure yourself. *wink*

Me? I'd hug it through texas even if it was pink and decorated with lace

You know I might have worded things a little differently, but I think the idea that the original poster is getting at makes enough sense and the call for locking this thread is ridiculous.

Honestly, I'm not sure how the name will impact things. Sure some kids will think it sounds odd for whatever reason, but as someone said they may already have a negative impression of Nintendo. I wonder if being considered wee as in small might be more of a problem than anything else.

*runs through thread naked*

... *gets out of breath* ...

... *pulls a muscle* ...

... *lights a cigarette while giving the thread the finger* ...

... *limps away mumbling about gamefaqs' boards* ...

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']You know I might have worded things a little differently, but I think the idea that the original poster is getting at makes enough sense and the call for locking this thread is ridiculous.

Honestly, I'm not sure how the name will impact things. Sure some kids will think it sounds odd for whatever reason, but as someone said they may already have a negative impression of Nintendo. I wonder if being considered wee as in small might be more of a problem than anything else.[/quote]

Maybe Ultimate Matt X is correct and I should have worded my post a little differently, but I still didn't expect some CAGers to resort to calling me gay in the pejorative sense. Oh well. It seems like most of you didn't understand my point, maybe that's my fault but whatever.

bread's done
Back