Wii: Samba De Amigo with 2 Maracas $14.99 @ Fry's

I liked it.

It takes time to grasp the controls, and it's nowhere near as good as the awesome DC version, but all Wii owners should have it at that price.

(Don't use the maraca casings though; use two Wiimotes.)

I've been deliberating over whether to get it since its release, cause I really enjoyed the DC one, silly as it was. I've read everywhere this new Wii one is nothing compared to that, but is it any good at all?

[quote name='anubis20']heard controls stunk on the wii, otherwise i would have gotten it[/quote]

It is alrite, you just cant play it on harder levels because there is a small delay when you move the maracas too fast.

Unless you're always going to play this as a casual party game on the easiest difficulty setting stay far away. The controls are way too inaccurate for serious play, which sucks because the Dreamcast version was amazing.

Price sucks if you have no Fry's near you and need to buy online (unless you actually want the maraca casings). You almost may as well just pay $20 from Amazon and use free super saver shipping.

[quote name='acyw13']anyone knows the if the Maracas cases are two wii motes base, or one wii mote one nunchuk ?[/QUOTE]

got it at fry's today
it's one wiimote + one nunchuck

thx chwang, i will wait for a better deal then, shipping is too much, plus wiimote+nunchuk might ruin gameplay

[quote name='Rig']
(Don't use the maraca casings though; use two Wiimotes.)[/quote]

Why? The maraca casings make the rattling sound. It's like the one time where a Wii accessory is more than just some plastic.

This is a great deal - thank you!

I prefer to play this with two remotes, but either way I can definitely recommend the maraca shells - the handles give the right leverage for a good snap that the remote senses a little better which helps with some of the control complaints.

[quote name='Vegan']Why? The maraca casings make the rattling sound. It's like the one time where a Wii accessory is more than just some plastic.[/quote]
Unless you have big hands, your hands will hurt after a bit trying to hold onto the bulky plastic handles.

With the Carnaval coming up... Not bad!
2.gif

Thanks OP!

For those who say the DC version's control is much better, why would you guys even consider the Wii version even though it's quite cheap? Why not just play the DC version?

Just got back from Fry's with a copy of the game and the maracas. For some reason, I thought the deal was for (2) sets of maracas. Gonna need to buy another set now. Still a nice deal, thanks OP!

[quote name='Vegan']Why? The maraca casings make the rattling sound. It's like the one time where a Wii accessory is more than just some plastic.[/quote]

Because two Wiimotes are better than the Wiimote + Nunchuk.

I also found it harder to get the pointer to work in the menus while the shell was on the Wiimote.

Argh, sold out online :cry:

-
Well, $6 shipping and then tax on top of that would have killed it. It would be around the same at bestbuy, about $25 for the game and maracas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a set today at lunch. The checkout girl had to look up the bundle code for me (which was in the AD from Friday) - that took about 5 minutes for her to find. IMO this is a steal. Good post OP!

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']For those who say the DC version's control is much better, why would you guys even consider the Wii version even though it's quite cheap? Why not just play the DC version?[/quote]
Wii version is Samba de Amigo, Samba de Amigo Ver. 2000 and additional songs and such.

That and the official maracas for the DC version are near impossible to find without paying up to $80 or more.

[quote name='jonrosing']I got a set today at lunch. The checkout girl had to look up the bundle code for me (which was in the AD from Friday) - that took about 5 minutes for her to find. IMO this is a steal. Good post OP![/quote]

I had to bring the cashier with me to electronics to look at a flyer there. Once he had the bundle number, it was no problem, but the system will not do this automatically.

[quote name='Tsukento']That and the official maracas for the DC version are near impossible to find without paying up to $80 or more.[/quote]

Personally, I want to see how the Wii version is, and it's going to be really hard to be too down on it at $15. The DC version may control better, but the DC maracas have their own issues and take up a lot of space.

Several left in stock at the Downers Grove, IL Fry's. (After my gf picked one up for me!) It's a fun game so far...

[quote name='nater']Several left in stock at the Downers Grove, IL Fry's. (After my gf picked one up for me!) It's a fun game so far...[/quote]

Ooh, a day early. I'm going there tomorrow with the woman as well, for the same reason, actually.

I heard that the controls were terrible, but I was able to get A ratings on Hard with the maracas when I tried it, so they seem perfectly adequate. I'd only played the DC version once or twice years ago, so it's not like I'm an expert. My fiancee had the DC version and wasn't doing as good with the Wii-mote and nunchuk combo, so maybe there are subtle differences in timing and movement. For only $15 I think it's worth it.

The maracas are too large and it's way too easy to pause the game accidentally because gripping it while avoiding buttons is difficult, but for short bursts of gameplay they are serviceable. IMO playing without the maracas is taking out half the fun... like playing DDR on a controller.

Boatloads of copies at Fry's in Woodland Hills, Ca. There were at least 50 copies if not more. As for the maracas, I only saw around 15 of the ones that are given away with the game.

bread's done
Back