Wii Shop Channel Thread - 12/29 StarTropics II, Maboshi's Arcade, Cue Sports: Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were no Zelda games for 3DO -- the games to which you all are referring are probably the CD-i games. I own the two released in the U.S., purely as novelty items. CD-i games will never show up on the Virtual Console, and be glad of it.

I wish I had a better way of seeing VC releases at work. As it stands now, my best/only option is Google News snippets, which I can't actually click on because those sites are usually filtered.

Ah well. One more week before my internship's done anyway, so it's not too big of a deal. :)

[quote name='rapsodist']There were no Zelda games for 3DO -- the games to which you all are referring are probably the CD-i games. I own the two released in the U.S., purely as novelty items. CD-i games will never show up on the Virtual Console, and be glad of it.[/QUOTE]

I knew that. :cool:

I'm thinking we'll be getting
Star Parodier
Break In
Strongbad

I have to admit, I am interested in Star Parodier. Well, sorta.

[quote name='lilboo']I'm thinking we'll be getting
Star Parodier
Break In
Strongbad

I have to admit, I am interested in Star Parodier. Well, sorta.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, I'd probably end up spending $20, and that's only because I don't know what Break In is. :lol:

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=16019

WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND TWO VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Aug. 11, 2008
If your idea of a superhero is someone with an invincible ego who can type e-mails while wearing boxing gloves, then the Wii™ Shop Channel has great news for you. The legendary Strong Bad (from the popular Homestar Runner Web series) makes his eagerly anticipated WiiWare™ debut this week. For even more laughs and clever gaming kicks, you'll also find a satirical space-age shooter on the Virtual Console™, along with a classic billiards game for those who prefer to keep their feet planted firmly on the ground.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Strong Bad Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner (Telltale Games, 1 player, Rated T for Teen-Crude Humor, Mild Cartoon Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes, 1,000 Wii Points): Charming. Suave. Awesome. These are the words Strong Bad would use to describe himself. In a world gone mad, only one man can be trusted to save the day. A man with an attitude. A man called Strong Bad. As the star of the Homestar Runner Web cartoons, Strong Bad has been answering e-mails (in boxing gloves), pranking his friends, pummeling his enemies, and making people with questionable taste snort milk out of their noses for years now. And he's branched out to star in Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, a monthly five-episode series. In Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner, Strong Bad's plans to beat the snot out of Homestar backfire, and he ends up with an unwanted houseguest cramping his style. Now he needs to get life back to normal by any means possible. But wait, there's more: Teen Girl Squad comics, achievements, funny costumes and arcade games. You can even send pictures and messages to Wii Friends using Strong Bad's computer. So how about it? Can you handle Strong Bad's style?

Virtual Console

Break In (TurboGrafx16, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone-Tobacco Reference, 700 Wii Points): Gather up to four players for an authentic game of pool right in your own home. Choose from six billiards games including 9-Ball, Rotation and Carom (a game played without pockets). Use Simulation mode to calculate the perfect shot, or select Action mode and check out what went wrong with your missed shots. With all that to choose from, Break In gives players-from beginners to experts-all the elements necessary to enjoy a great game of pool. But it doesn't stop there. Select Technique to practice your angles or even go for a trick shot. Get some help from the CPU and hone your skills. With Break In, you'll be a pro in no time.

Star Parodier (TurboGrafx16 CD-ROM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Cartoon Violence, 900 Wii Points): Star Parodier is the hilarious spoof of the classic Hudson shooter Star Soldier. In this parody, there are three playable ships for players to choose from: the ingratiating PAROCEASER, the hot-headed BOMBERMAN, and the ever-so-introverted PC-ENGINE. Players control one of these unique and original ships and set off to blast their way through eight stages on the planet PAROSON. The comical characters take the color and flavor of the Soldier series to the next level and are guaranteed to leave players mesmerized. In addition to the normal game mode, there are also the familiar two-minute and five-minute attack modes, making Star Parodier the complete package that is sure to have players coming back for more.

SBCG4AP and Star Parodier GET.

I'm off to get Strong Bayud.

I've waited for that game forever.

Seems like a good way to deal with some of the jet lag that is hounding me.

[quote name='Cambot']Isn't snorting more of an intake than an action by which milk comes out of your nose?[/quote]
Technically speaking, snorting refers to the outgoing. For some reason it got associated with drugs, perhaps because it sounds cooler than to sniff or inhale.

Is Star Parodier something special, or "yay, another shmup"?

[quote name='botticus']Technically speaking, snorting refers to the outgoing. For some reason it got associated with drugs, perhaps because it sounds cooler than to sniff or inhale.

Is Star Parodier something special, or "yay, another shmup"?[/quote]

I haven't played it, but it sounds awesome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Parodier

I want to fly a Bomberman around.

Only in Star Parodier can you play as Bomberman or a giant PC Engine in a shmup.

I would also assume it uses whatever mechanics regular Star Soldier uses.

In other words, I don't know.

Hmm need a review of that star parodier and is that the real in game music in the video? I might just bite if it is that good and it has that music.

Although I fucking

Having only seen a few SB emails, SBCG4AP:HR is still a treat. I'd rather be playing it on PC with the accuracy of a mouse, but it's still good. I have a few gripes with the game that I'll go over when I give it more play time. (finished tutorial and a little bit of the main game, but not much)

I'll look into getting Star Parodier.

And if you look at the tags, someone cleaned them up. There's new tag rules in the forums somewhere. (Feedback?)

I hate to say it but I`m not having nearly as much fun with SB as I thought I would. I`m hoping its just the 360`s crazy action to this sudden transition.

Yeah, the tag rules are essentially, "If you're having fun you're doing it wrong". I need to figure out all the threads that I might've posted funny tags in.

I'll probably pass on Star Parodier. Even I am getting to the point where I have enough shmups. I wish they'd put some more fighting games on the Wii. Most of the Neo Geo ones are terrible and I already own the ones that aren't. The fighting thread would crucify me for this but Rare, Nintendo, kiss and make up and put up Killer Instinct.

I'd like to have Star Parodier but not at that price. I wish Wii Points cards would go on sale. Has there ever been a sale on those lil suckers? My local Walmarts never had them on clearance like the rest of you guys.

[quote name='lilboo']I'm thinking we'll be getting
Star Parodier
Break In
Strongbad

I have to admit, I am interested in Star Parodier. Well, sorta.[/QUOTE]

Damn, you're good. :shock:

Any chance of predicting Super Mario RPG next week?

[quote name='rapsodist']I'd like to have Star Parodier but not at that price. I wish Wii Points cards would go on sale. Has there ever been a sale on those lil suckers? My local Walmarts never had them on clearance like the rest of you guys.[/QUOTE]

Join the club. I checked my Wal-Mart today. There was still a HUGE island full of cards and classic controller gloves, marked at ~$25. They scanned at $20, which means I'd be getting the glove free...for a controller I don't own yet. :cry:

In terms of this week's releases, I'm probably going to get Strong Bad and Star Parodier...eventually. I don't have any shooters on my Wii yet and Star Parodier looks a lot like Parodius, one of my favorites. As for Strong Bad, I like Homestar Runner and I'm a big fan of Telltale's games.

The only thing stopping me is the copy of Bully I found this weekend. Given that I just spent $15 on a game and I'm only ~10% done, I don't think I'm quite ready to spend another $20 on my Wii yet. I'll save them for when I finish Bully. :)

So, what exactly IS this Strong Bad game like? I have to admit, I really never cared for the website and all.. I have watched it before, but it never became appealing to me, so of course this game just kinda goes "feh" for me.

I'm slightly interested in Star Parodier..but, we'll see. :whistle2:k
Is it a TGCD import game? Or just one of those random premium titles for no apparent reason...?

It's a point and click adventure with the humor of the website. Developed by Telltale (Sam and Max episodes) and has some of the same features like hints.

edit: also haven't seen very many things on homestarrunner.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lilboo']So, what exactly IS this Strong Bad game like? I have to admit, I really never cared for the website and all.. I have watched it before, but it never became appealing to me, so of course this game just kinda goes "feh" for me.[/quote]

You have to really enjoy strongbad to enjoy this game. The humor is just like the videos and if you don't like strongbad they you probably wont like this game. It is a point and click adventure like sam and max within the homestar runner universe. It is a well made game but only if you like Strongbad would I reccomend it.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=2&cId=3169224
1UP: What about the original Bionic Commando for Virtual Console?
BJ: We couldn't get it approved for the Virtual Console.
1UP: Is that because of the whole Nazi thing?
BJ: I can't say why. I can just say that we tried to get it to work. We're huge fans of the game. When you think about it, it totally makes sense as a strategy to have the original game out there in some format that people can play and see what was so great about it. But we were told no.

I'm guessing that was a result of some conversation like:

C: "Hey Nintendo, can we throw Bionic Commando out on the VC to raise awareness for our new version?"
N: "Oh, what's up Capcom? Is that new version of the game going to be on a Nintendo platform?"
C: "Hmm... not at this time."
N: "Application denied."

Who knows if Capcom will want to try to throw it on there later on.

In other words, Nintendo is just being Nintendo.

I love watching the Strongbad e-mail/Homestar Runner videos. I might buy tonight...

[quote name='Doomed']http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=2&cId=3169224[/quote]

Here is how I take it...

C: "Hey we want to release Bionic Commando?"
N: "Let me see, give me a copy of the NES game."
C: "Sure..."
N: "Oh wait this game is good, we can't put good games on the VC no more since Wiiware is out."
C: "What the fuck?"
N: "Go make a Wiiware version with one level where you swing around pointlessly with HORRIBLE controls and then come back to us".
C: "But that would stir up less interest in Bionic Commando for us."
N: "We don't give a shit we are rolling in money".

I don't know how you guys say the Strong Bad game lives up to the emails, which I'm a big fan of.

Strong Bad Game's Humor - 6/10
Strong Bad sb_emails - 8-9/10

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What happened to Mega Man coming out on VC? I was thinking about using the 600 pts I've had for forever to pick that up to see if I want to get MM9.[/quote]

The HomeStarRunner guys are under Nintendo's desk begging them not to release anything decent until their game it out there.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Not a Strong Bad fan so it's another week of hot garbage.[/QUOTE]

Since when is something garbage just because you didn't like it? We got two games that have been getting good reviews, and a pool game that nobody's said anything negative about. Doesn't sound like garbage to me.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Since when is something garbage just because you didn't like it? We got two games that have been getting good reviews, and a pool game that nobody's said anything negative about. Doesn't sound like garbage to me.[/quote]

QFT

BEHOLD! I give you...ZERO!

Picture2.jpg

Star Parodier is something I'll buy a little bit down the road, I'm a tad burnt out on shmups right now. I am still hoping Ys Book 1 + 2 will make it in August.

Strong Bad thought I was cool and attractive, so he thought it was nice of him to give me a spare block. It would've been -1 otherwise.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Not a Strong Bad fan so it's another week of hot garbage. Damn it, Nintendo.[/quote]
I've seen like four SB emails and still find the game funny. Maybe not worth 1000 points but no WiiWare that I've seen is worth it. Also, I personally suck at Dr. Mario and would rather be playing Tetris. When I reviewed DM on my blog I recognized that it was a good game, but I didn't like it.
[quote name='KingBroly']BEHOLD! I give you...ZERO![/quote]
I could get that...
It's not that hard when you can download anything

[quote name='rapsodist']I'd like to have Star Parodier but not at that price. I wish Wii Points cards would go on sale. Has there ever been a sale on those lil suckers? My local Walmarts never had them on clearance like the rest of you guys.[/QUOTE]

Around the time TRU had their now annual B2G1 games sale, they had a "Buy one get one 1/2 off'" accessories sale. Wii Points cards counted as accessories for that sale so I picked up a couple.

I'm hoping they run that sale again as the Walmarts in my area never clearanced out their holiday stock.

Just finished. Longer than LostWinds, but still short. And fuck TellTale. I pressed B right when the ending started and it conveniently skipped it. Of course, there's no way to view the ending again unless you beat the game again. No going back to a previous save either unless you made a seperate save before the unobvious ending because of the autosave point right after the ending. So if you do play it, can you tell me how the ending is? :bomb:

Just a heads up, there is a point near the end of Strong Bad where the game will freeze if it is set to widescreen. Seriously, I find this is unacceptable. How can something so major and game breaking slip through testing and debugging?

Anyway, I switched the game to fullscreen and beat it. Glitches aside, the game was short but enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back