Wii Shop Channel Thread - 12/29 StarTropics II, Maboshi's Arcade, Cue Sports: Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up 4000 points and I think I'm going to download...

- Star Tropics
- Mario 3
- Zelda 1
- Zelda 2
- Zelda OoT
- Pokemon Snap

As for other games to download, which of these should be dl'd first and foremost? (All of the following titles I've never played so I can't say from experience)

Gunstar Heroes genesis 800
Ninja Gaiden nes 500 (I'm afraid it'll be too hard...)
Gate of Thunder turbo cd 800
Excitebike nes 500
Star Tropics nes 500
Bubble Bobble nes 500
Devil's Crush turbo 600
Super Mario Lost Levels nes 500

and the ones I've heard alot of good things about but still haven't played:
Super Metroid snes 800
Sin and Punishment n64 1200

Sin and Punishment, then Super Metroid, then Gunstar Heroes. Haven't played most of the others yet, except for Ninja Gaiden, which I like much less than Ninja Spirit (also available on VC); Devil's Crush, which is a pinball game and I don't like pinball games; and Lost Levels, which is SO HARD OH MY GOD

[quote name='Foo228']As for other games to download, which of these should be dl'd first and foremost? (All of the following titles I've never played so I can't say from experience)

Gunstar Heroes genesis 800
Ninja Gaiden nes 500 (I'm afraid it'll be too hard...)
Gate of Thunder turbo cd 800
Excitebike nes 500
Star Tropics nes 500
Bubble Bobble nes 500
Devil's Crush turbo 600
Super Mario Lost Levels nes 500

and the ones I've heard alot of good things about but still haven't played:
Super Metroid snes 800
Sin and Punishment n64 1200[/QUOTE]

Super Metroid is arguably the best SNES game ever (I wouldn't put up a fight against LttP).

Ninja Gaiden is kinda tough, but 2 and 3 are MUCH harder. 3 is downright brutal.

Star Tropics and Excitebike used to be 2 of my favs 15-20 years ago, but they certainly havent aged well.

Dave

I've got 2200 points right now and I've been thinking about some shmups. What are the best shmups on VC and why? I'd prefer one with either a health meter (that is, not one-hit-kill) or a revive-in-the-same-place-you-died mechanic; I know some of these old games shot you back to the beginning of the level when you died. Also co-op is a huge plus. I generally prefer vertical shmups, but I'm open to anything at the moment. I'm thinking about waiting for Lords of Thunder as it looks great, but I want to hear your opinions.

EDIT: It looks like the only co-op shmups at the moment are Monster Lair, and Bio-Hazard Battle. Any of you guys play these? What'd you think? Also, sorry if I've asked this already.

A proposal lilboo. I found an icon set called Crystal Clear.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Clear

It has a pretty sweet CD icon. I resized it to 15x15.

cdv2.png

What do you think about it replacing the crappy one I made for the TGCD games?

[quote name='seanr1221']Downloading Pokemon Snap now, which brings me down to 774 blocks. Damn, I wish the Wii had more memory.[/QUOTE]

You could always delete the ones you don't play much, and redownload them (free) later. I don't get the whole "Wii doesn't have enough memory" argument when you can do this. Yes, it's kind of a pain, but it's a free solution...and isn't that what being a CAG is all about? ;)

RD

WrestleCrap'sRD;3886733 said:
You could always delete the ones you don't play much, and redownload them (free) later. I don't get the whole "Wii doesn't have enough memory" argument when you can do this. Yes, it's kind of a pain, but it's a free solution...and isn't that what being a CAG is all about? ;)

RD

Finally someone who agrees!

[quote name='seanr1221']I just realized that a good chunk of my N64 collection is on the VC. I wonder if it would be worth dumping all my cartridges...[/quote]
Personally, I try to do this whenever possible. Over the summer I sold Super Metroid and Super Mario RPG since I knew they were coming to the VC, and I got far more than what I'd pay to buy them on the VC, so I get extra cash and have all the games in one place. Works for me. I've got a ton of NES/Genesis/Sega CD games that I need to sell at some point as well.

The only time I won't buy a game I already own is if it's available on a PS2, Wii, or GC compilation, since those are the systems I keep hooked up. Or, y'know, if it sucks.

I am not sure if the games look different on a widescreen hd tv. I noticed supermetroid looks really good, but donkey kong country almost looks better on my standard tv.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']I am not sure if the games look different on a widescreen hd tv. I noticed supermetroid looks really good, but donkey kong country almost looks better on my standard tv.[/QUOTE]
If you have your Wii set for a widescreen display, by default VC games will also be displayed in widescreen. Since most (all?) of the games on the VC were designed for a 4:3 display, they will look stretched out in widescreen mode. This is not as noticeable on some games, but very much so on others. I personally can't stand to look at anything stretched from 4:3 to 16:9, so I toggle between 4:3 and 16:9 mode on my display so that I can play everything in 4:3.

1 game this week....
With 3 a week there was at least a CHANCE that I would get something.

I wonder what their exact plan on picking VC games is. Throw a dart at a board with names on it? Or is it release a bunch of bad games have just a few good ones a year? Or a set # of each system?

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']1 game this week....
With 3 a week there was at least a CHANCE that I would get something.

I wonder what their exact plan on picking VC games is. Throw a dart at a board with names on it? Or is it release a bunch of bad games have just a few good ones a year? Or a set # of each system?[/quote]

All of 'em

The chance of it being a good game though, is like hitting a bullseye...won't come by too often

Names of games chosen are probably in each sect like on a dart board (1=really bad, 10=average, 20=good but not that good)

Different dart boards for different systems, I'm guessing...but they could always swipe out the names with others (some bullseyes: sin and punishment, super metroid)

But in reality, they probably figure we're impatient and we'll buy the shit each week regardless of it being good or not

So has Nintendo still not released any kind of numbers on VC sales? It's something I'd be really curious to hear about. Are all those casual gamers we keep hearing about downloading anything between games of Hannah Montana and Nicktoons?

I thought I read the downloads were going quite well for Nintendo, especially since their first party offerrings were selling. As in, the top 5 games were all Mario titles, followed by Zelda and the like.

GoNintendo sometimes has this data, but I have no clue where they get it from.

[quote name='Strell']GoNintendo sometimes has this data, but I have no clue where they get it from.[/QUOTE]

Their ass.
When you go to the VC and look at popular titles they seem to change everyday. Not by much..but still. I think this is the only thing we know what's selling. We just don't know how many.

[quote name='lilboo']Their ass.
When you go to the VC and look at popular titles they seem to change everyday. Not by much..but still. I think this is the only thing we know what's selling. We just don't know how many.[/quote]http://gonintendo.com/?p=33990
1/17-1/23
1 (1) Super Mario Bros 3
2 (2) Mario Kart 64
3 (3) Super Mario Bros
4 (4) Super Mario World
5 (E) 1080 Snowboarding
6 (5) Super Mario 64
7 (6) Street Fighter 2 Turbo
8 (7) The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time
9 (8) Bomberman 93
10 (9) Super Mario Bros 2
11 (10) The legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past
12 (13) Sonic 3
13 (12) Pokemon Snap
14 (14) Paper Mario
15 (11) Donkey Kong Country 3
16 (16) The legend of Zelda
14 (18) Sonic
18 (19) Pac-Man
19 (15) Bubble Bobble
20 (20) Yoshi’s Story
Comes from here: http://wiiz.fr/article.php?a=16126

It was the first great snowboarding game, and was only ever surpassed by a couple of the SSX games. That said, I'd rather pick up one of those than get 1080; I bet I could find 'em for the same price, too.

Found this out yesterday, but couldn't post :lol:
Japan's FOUR, yes..FOUR games this week!

Mappy -NES- 500 Points
Super R-Type -SNES- 800 Points
Phantasy Star II -Gen- 700 Points
Super Air Zonk -TGCD- 800 Points

I had never heard of Mappy. I may have to google it later.

Mappy is an arcade game made by Namco. You play as a mouse cop and have to "borrow" all of the valuable items while avoiding the cat burglars. The levels have multiple floors and you reach them by jumping on trampolines.

The game is pretty fun from what I remember. I know it was on one of thos plug and play into the TV Namco Arcade sticks.

[quote name='AHEADAMUS']I remember Mappy Land vaguely on the NES.[/quote]

Mappy Land was a great game.

I haven't played it in 17 years. I STILL get the music from the first level stuck in my head.

I guess that gives us hope for a good week since Japan got 1 game last week, right?

I hope we get some Phantasy Star love (in particular 4).

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I guess that gives us hope for a good week since Japan got 1 game last week, right?

I hope we get some Phantasy Star love (in particular 4).[/QUOTE]
Yeah .. Phantasy Star 4 was my favorite, I'd take that one easy (and buy it immediately) but any of the Phantasy Stars would be instant buys for me.

Hooray, the forums are back up! Now I can ask something I've wondering about. Does anyone know where I can find a list of VC titles that support more than two players? I know of Bomberman '93 and Mario Kart 64, but are there others?

[quote name='Yaxley']Hooray, the forums are back up! Now I can ask something I've wondering about. Does anyone know where I can find a list of VC titles that support more than two players? I know of Bomberman '93 and Mario Kart 64, but are there others?[/QUOTE]

Battle Lode Runner (TG16)
Bomberman '93 (TG16)
Dungeon Explorer (TG16)
Moto Roader (TG16)
World Sports Competition (TG16)
F-Zero X (N64)
Mario Kart 64 (N64)
Star Fox 64 (N64)
Power Golf (TG16)

That is your current list of games that support more than 2 players.

Dearest Lilbooo, where do you getzors your leakzors every week? I love knowing in advance what is coming out on the VC.

[quote name='ZForce915']Battle Lode Runner (TG16)
Bomberman '93 (TG16)
Dungeon Explorer (TG16)
Moto Roader (TG16)
World Sports Competition (TG16)
F-Zero X (N64)
Mario Kart 64 (N64)
Star Fox 64 (N64)
Power Golf (TG16)

That is your current list of games that support more than 2 players.[/quote]

Thanks! Looks like my lack of knowledge about TG16 games left me in the dark.

[quote name='pop311']Dearest Lilbooo, where do you getzors your leakzors every week? I love knowing in advance what is coming out on the VC.[/QUOTE]

I lurk other forums where they are.. :lol:

ANYWAY! I have Monday's games and I for one am unimpressed.

Feb. 4, 2008

Wii-kly Update: Two New Classic Games Added to Wii Shop Channel

Step into two very different types of action this week. Either battle the bad guys to save hostages and preserve freedom or bury your opponents with magical jewels. Whatever you fancy, you'll need to be ready for a challenge: strategize as a fearless hero or manipulate special jewels to raise the crush bar. How do you plan to win today?

Two new classic games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the Wii Shop Channel every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week’s new games are:

OPERATION WOLF™ (NES®, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Use of Tobacco and Violence, 500 points): A group of desperate terrorists is keeping hostages in their jungle fortress. As a member of the elite tactical squad Operation Wolf, you must invade their hideout, destroy their operations, and get the hostages out alive! Maneuver through a series of missions and fight off soldiers, patrol boats, helicopters, and more. The further you progress, the more enemies you’ll have to defeat and the harder they’ll try to stop you in your tracks (going so far as tossing knives and grenades at you or wearing armor). Each area along your path ends with a boss battle where you’ll have to find and exploit each boss’s particular weakness. To top it all off, your weapon options are also limited, so you’ll need to conserve ammunition and grenades. Operation Wolf is said to be the most valiant and capable unit in the military—can you save the hostages and win the day?

Columns III™: Revenge of Columns (Genesis, 1-5 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 points): This single-player or multiplayer experience expands upon the game play of the original two Columns titles giving players some extra attacks to spring on opponents. As in the original Columns, jewels fall into a bin, and you have to twist and manipulate them to form matches of three or more in a vertical, horizontal, or diagonal line to keep the jewels from stacking up and reaching the top. In Columns III, special magical jewels do things like raise your opponent’s crush bar or lower your own, adding an extra element of strategy to the game. This is a great game to play with friends, so download it today and jump into the action!

Operation Wolf is a LIGHT GUN game. If they ACTUALLY give us Wii remote functionality on this.. then that's total win. If not, then EXTREME BOO @ Nintendo. Seriously.

This also means that NEXT Monday IS our 200th game. So, if they are going to do something "big" or at least "special" next week it will happen. Let's hope so, this is gettin' kinda lame.

In other news, Europe only got ONE game on Friday. That game was Adventures of Lolo 2 for the NES @ 500 points. Meanwhile, Japan got 4 games. ::shrugs::

Kudos to lilboo on maintaining the thread. Nice to come back to the forum after the layoff and see an update waiting. The maintenance is also impressive given how boring VC releases have become. Takes a lot of gumption to keep at it in spite of Nintendo dialing back releases from 3 to 2 to who knows how many.

Thanks, lilboo!

I'd be pretty shocked if they actually include light gun support. I really can't understand what they're thinking on the VC - it really seems like they're trying to avoid pleasing us.

[quote name='tankexmortis']I'd be pretty shocked if they actually include light gun support. I really can't understand what they're thinking on the VC - it really seems like they're trying to avoid pleasing us.[/QUOTE]

That's ashame. :lol:
We shouldn't feel like that!.. But it's true. In fact, if they don't add the light gun support someone should contact Nintendo and call them out on it! They want the VC to have games AS IS. How they were 10-20 years ago, are how they are supposed to be played now. That's fine. But if a game is a light gun game then it needs continue to be a light gun game. This is most disappointing. Between the ligh gun NES games to the super scope 6 games..there's some great games that can be added .. :whistle2:(

Was there any sort of light gun for the Genesis? TG16? Neo Geo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back