Wii Specs Leaked

h2dk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
TeamXbox

The Wii Hardware

• Nintendo Wii’s ‘Broadway’ CPU operates at 729MHZ with a maximum bandwith of 1.9gbyte/sec.
  • Nintendo Wii’s ‘HollyWood’ GPU is clocked at 243MHZ, the internal memory of it includes 3mb of embedded graphics memory and 24megabytes of high speed main memory.
  • 64megabytes of GDDR3 (MEM2) as the external main memory. Just like the internal memory, it can be accessed from the CPU and GPU with a maximum bandwidth of 4gbytes/sec and can also store programs in the MEM2.
  • The GPU of the Wii is identical to the GC’s but it is on average 1.5X faster.

Wii's Optical Disc Drive

• Opitcal Disc Drive (ODD) supports single and dual layer Wii disks, discs eject with software or button and the maximum read speed is the equivalent of DVDx6.
  • Two main disc types supported the single sided 12cm single sided 4.7gb and the double sided 8.51 GB. Nintendo GC discs also supported. Some of the capacity of the discs are used by the system and games can not use full disc space.
  • Inserting a disc will start the Wii console, even if it was already in an off state. Pressing the eject button will change the console to an on state to take out the disc also.

General Overview

• An optional wired LAN adapter that connects to a USB port is in the pipeline for users who do not possess a wireless LAN set-up currently.
  • Internal non-removable 512MB flash memory used to storage game save data and downloadable content thus eliminating the Need for a memory card.
  • Both Wii discs and Gamecube discs can be played via an intelligent mode swap. When running in GC mode, the Wii’s CPU and GPU will lower to the respective speeds of the GC and some of the MEM2 functions as ARAM.
  • Software development environment is an upgrade to the ‘Dolphin SDK’ used with the GC; the same libraries are used so developers can get up to scratch easily as well as the possibility of ports being easier.
  • The following interfaces are included with the Wii; SD card slot, Wireless controller, two USB 2.0 ports, wireless LAN, 4x GC controller ports, 2x GC memory card slots and an AV multi output jack (only an analog jack).
  • Supports Wii disks (one sided 12cm) and GC discs (one sided 8cm) and console auto switches depends on what disk is inserted
  • More than just the Nunchaku is planned as an extension. GC peripherals such as DK bongos can be used in both Wii and GC modes.
  • Three power status, on, off and unplugged. To prevent mistaken turn offs, the power button must be held for about a second.

The Wii Control System

• The Wii controller features; Direct Pointing Device, Three axis accelerometer, Wii power button (remotely turn console on/off), buttons, wireless connectivity, indicator LED’s, rumble, battery powered (two AA alkaline batteries) and ability to connect extension unit.
  • The Wii controller supports three types of operations; by itself, with a nunchuk extension or with a classic controller. Classic controllers will ship to developers during August 2006.
  • The SYNCHRO button on the Wii controller exchanges wireless ID numbers when pressed at the same time as SYNCRHO on the Wii console. Wireless communications are only possible with consoles which have been authenticated.
  • The rumble motor can be turned on and off and the intensity can be changed.
  • The Wii remote has a pointer for fine movements as well as a motion sensor +/- 3.4G suitable for larger body movements, the nunchuk attachment has a sensor of +/- 2G
  • The sensor bar must be placed above or below a TV set, the pointer measures coordinates between the ends of the bar which are about 20cm apart.
  • The Wii remote has four status, disconnected, communicating, establishing connection and pairing wait status.
  • The pointer can measure co-ordinates within bounds of rectangle centered upon the sensor bar, thus it can also measure points beyond the screen. It also responds to strong light sources, windows, fluorescent lamps, fireplaces, mirrors etc.
  • Due to players hands shaking while holding the controller, a ring buffer allows a precise direction to be created to hold and average accelerator samples.

maxconsole

*UPDATE* The dev mailed us and said he was shocked to see all these cries of 'fake', so he provided some more info to show he's not bluffing...

Broadway CPU

Broadway is Wii's CPU. Broadway functionality and specifications are as follows.

• Operating speed: 729 MHz
• Bus to main memory: 243 MHz, 64 bits (maximum bandwidth: 1.9 gigabytes/sec)
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 instruction cache
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 data cache (can set up 16-kilobyte data scratch pad)
• Superscalar microprocessor with six execution units (floating-point unit, branching unit, system regis
ter unit, load/store unit, two integer units)
• DMA unit (15-entry DMA request queue) used by 16-kilobyte data scratch pad
• Write-gather buffer for writing graphics command lists to the graphics chip
• Onboard 256-kilobyte 2-way set-associative L2 integrated cache
• Two, 32-bit integer units (IU)
• One floating point unit (FPU) (supports single precision (32-bit) and double precision (64-bit))
• The FPU supports paired single floating point (FP/PS)
• The FPU supports paired single multiply add (ps_madd). Most FP/PS instructions can be issued in
each cycle and completed in three cycles.
• Fixed-point to floating-point conversion can be performed at the same time as FPU register load and
store, with no loss in performance.
• The branch unit supports static branch prediction and dynamic branch prediction.
• When an instruction is stalled on data, the next instruction can be issued and executed. All instructions
maintain program logic and will complete in the correct program order.
• Supports three L2 cache fetch modes: 32-Byte, 64-Byte, and 128-Byte.
• Supports these bus pipeline depth levels: level 2, level 3, and level 4.
Reference Information: Broadway is upward compatible with Nintendo GameCube’s CPU (Gekko).

Hollywood GPU

Hollywood is a system LSI composed of a GPU and internal main memory (MEM1). Hollywood is clocked at 243 MHz. Its internal memory consists of 3 megabytes of embedded graphics memory and 24 megabytes of high speed main memory.

Hollywood includes the following.
• Graphics processing unit (with 3 megabytes of eDRAM)
• Audio DSP
• I/O Bridge
• 24 megabytes of internal main memory
• Internal main memory operates at 486 MHz.
Maximum bandwidth between Hollywood and internal main memory: 3.9 gigabytes per second
• Possible to locate a program here
Reference Information: Hollywood is similar to Nintendo GameCube’s Flipper and Splash components.

External Main Memory (MEM2)

Wii uses 64 megabytes of GDDR3 (MEM2) as external main memory. Like internal main memory, MEM2 can be accessed directly from Broadway and the GPU at high speed and has a peak bandwidth of 4 gigabytes/sec. Programs can also be placed in MEM2.

Reference Information: Nintendo GameCube ARAM is used as auxiliary memory for the DSP. The CPU and GPU did not have direct access to it.

Those specs look about right, since we know the Wii is only going to be 2 to 3 times more powerful then the Gamecube.
The GPU is kind of slow, but it does have a lot of memory (more then the 360's 10 MB).

I always thought that the Wii was just a Gamecube in a re-designed box based on the graphics that were shown. The specs aren't that impressive. I'll still get one though.

these are a bit expanded from Matt "Manboobs" Cassamasina, but they are pretty much the same.

providing more info like that does nothing to add to the credibility of it.

According to wikipedia, the Gamecube transfer speeds were between 2 - 3.125 MB/S.

If I understand correctly, 6x dvd has a transfer speed of up to 7.93 MB/S.

so thats not too unreasonable. Then again, there really isnt any reason to believe that these are true. If they are true, they are probably breaking some NDA and whatever developer that leaked needs to get whatever happens when you do that.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']these are a bit expanded from Matt "Manboobs" Cassamasina, but they are pretty much the same.

providing more info like that does nothing to add to the credibility of it.[/QUOTE]

In fact it somewhat lessens the trustability of the source.

However, in this case the numbers presented seem reasonable given what Nintendo has said about the console... although I must admit hearing the GPU was identical to the Gamecube save for mhz and memory was odd. I am expecting that the GPU, and CPU, had a few new functions

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart'] If they are true, they are probably breaking some NDA and whatever developer that leaked needs to get whatever happens when you do that.[/QUOTE]

What? A cookie? INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE!

If it runs as well as my gamecube and can produce something better looking than Resident Evil 4 then I could care less about the actual specs. It has also been stated somewhere (don't remember where) that the system is pretty much free of bottlenecks and we could see a lot of games running at 60FPS. It's not going to be as graphically powerful (obviously) as the 360 or the PS3 but I think it's going to hold its own.

Even if these are the real specs, I still think it will be a great system. It should definitely be able to handle what it's designed for. But considering this GPU is only a tweaked Gamecube GPU and the CPU is nothing revolutionary, I don't see how Nintendo can sell it for higher than $200. Maybe even under $200, if it is really using 5 year old technology. It seems to be an upgraded Gamecube with wiimote functionality added, and not something that advanced proportionally with the years since GC came out, which is what we usually see for new console launches. If the gamecube was the only console on the market, they probably would have just released this as a peripheral.

This is all assuming the specs are true.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Teamxbox is where I go for all Wii related news.[/QUOTE]

The OP forgot to link to the 5+ pages of 'Nintendo is for kiddies...oh yeah, PS3 sux 2' threads that immediately follows it.

I jumped that ship first opportunity I had. Horrible OCD forum.

Yawn.

Does anyone really care about the Wii's specs anyway?? I sure don't.

We already know Nintendo isn't going for flashy graphics this time around, so fawning over specs is really a moot point.

...or a "moo" point, as Joey says...lol...

[quote name='keithp']Yawn.

Does anyone really care about the Wii's specs anyway?? I sure don't.

We already know Nintendo isn't going for flashy graphics this time around, so fawning over specs is really a moot point.

...or a "moo" point, as Joey says...lol...[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I am always baffled by people poring over the latest unconfirmed Wii spec sheet. It's so contrary to the entire point of the Wii. Maybe I just don't get it, 'cause that shit has never had any relevance whatsoever to what console I buy.

[quote name='gambitmachete']:applause:

I am always baffled by people poring over the latest unconfirmed Wii spec sheet. It's so contrary to the entire point of the Wii. Maybe I just don't get it, 'cause that shit has never had any relevance whatsoever to what console I buy.[/QUOTE]

The specs, do and don't matter in a superficial manner. I will be annoyed paying $200 for a Gamecube and a new controller, but if the system sells me as much as I think it might when I first get to demo the unit then that annoyance will be squashed by the other benefits.

[quote name='megaseadramon']Here are some things that prove they are fake
http://gonintendo.com/?p=4270

and

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060802-7407.html[/QUOTE]

How so? Writing SRAM instead of 1T-SRAM is a minor mistake.

And Hannibal on Ars Technica is hardly an authority on the issue. As I mention on the forum over there, Nintendo, IBM, and ATI have not gone on the record with anything whatsoever indicating the Wii is anything more than a die shrink, increased RAM, and clock speed ramp of the GameCube as far as the chipset is concerned.

When you have a product less than three months from launch it is remarkably unusual that the vendor involved have not found a single new chipset level feature worthy of discussion. This is completely unprecedented in console history. Keeping it a secret would be impossible if there were anything especially interesting in there. Be if there is little to get excited about, then the rumor mill has little to feed upon.

When the GameCube was nearing launch Nintendo was thrilled to have tech articles on the chipset. Why aren't there such articles this time around? Because there isn't anything to write about.

[quote name='iufoltzie']The specs, do and don't matter in a superficial manner. I will be annoyed paying $200 for a Gamecube and a new controller, but if the system sells me as much as I think it might when I first get to demo the unit then that annoyance will be squashed by the other benefits.[/QUOTE]

But it isn't just a GameCube with a new controller.

The Wii is substantially faster and has much more memory, allowing developers to do quite a lot they couldn't do on the Gamecube.

It has 512MB of flash memory built-in for game saves, downloadable content, and online purchases of classic games. A GameCube had limited usefulness without the added expenditure on a memory card.

It has wireless broadband connectivity built-in as standard, which also enables connectivity with the DS without any added accessories such as cables required.

Wireless controller support is standard. A significant upgrade considering the popularity of the Wavebird.

It has support for much higher capacity media as standard, giving developers greater freedom to include more material in their games without concern for running out of space or requiring additional discs.

It also offers the option for DVD playback, which is good to have as a fallback, especially where space is lacking.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Those specs look about right, since we know the Wii is only going to be 2 to 3 times more powerful then the Gamecube.
The GPU is kind of slow, but it does have a lot of memory (more then the 360's 10 MB).[/QUOTE]

Not the same thing. The 10MB sub-die on the Xbox 360 GPU is just a processing stage for adding effects like anti-aliasing with far less of the traditional overhead that required.

In terms of video ram on the 360, that is the 512MB of GDDR3 shared with the CPU cores. It's fairly simialr to the original Xbox arrangement with postives and negatives.

The GameCube/Wii memory arrangement is more akin to the Amiga and PS3, where memory is divided into two or more different type with different bus access arrangements. This can offer better performance but it also means developers are locked into the allocations chosen by the hardware designers.

[quote name='epobirs']Not the same thing. The 10MB sub-die on the Xbox 360 GPU is just a processing stage for adding effects like anti-aliasing with far less of the traditional overhead that required.

In terms of video ram on the 360, that is the 512MB of GDDR3 shared with the CPU cores. It's fairly simialr to the original Xbox arrangement with postives and negatives.

The GameCube/Wii memory arrangement is more akin to the Amiga and PS3, where memory is divided into two or more different type with different bus access arrangements. This can offer better performance but it also means developers are locked into the allocations chosen by the hardware designers.[/quote]
Sorry I thought the GPU could access that memory and the main memory. Not that it really matters anymore since these specs are fake.

What I really want to know is if it A)supports wifi and if A=true then B)does it do WPA/WPA2?

WEP=trash. Learn that Nintendo.

in my opinion, graphics and specs dont matter as much as they used to during the psx/n64 era...
im positive the games will be good enough to play without being bothered by how they look
just remember...gamecube wasnt as powerful as xbox technically but Resident Evil and the Metroid Prime series just about spanked anything else on the current gen systems :)

bread's done
Back