Wii Super Paper Mario $30 @ EBGames (requires trip to Best Buy)

Zorn

CAGiversary!
This involves going to both Best Buy and EBgames. Here's what you do:

First, print off two of the "$5 off any Wii game" coupons here: http://img452.imageshack.us/my.php?image=coupons1hf5.jpg

Then, go into Best Buy, and pick up Open Season and Far Cry: Instincts. These games are both $19.99, and if you use the $5 off coupons on them they are $15 each. Note that you may have to buy one at the customer service counter then buy the other one at the regular register since the same person might not let you use 2 coupons at once. Plus as a bonus, if you're a RewardZone member, you get the points on those games.

Then go to EBgames, they have a promotion going on until 4/15 where if you trade in any 2 Wii games, you get one for free, maximum value $49.99. So you trade in your two newly acquired $15 games and walk out with a $50 Super Paper Mario. All done!

Sure, it takes going to two stores, but if where you live is anything like me, the EBgames and Best Buy are basically right next door to each other.

[quote name='Gotchaforce']The offer is online? Can you link me to it? Everyone is saying there is no 2 wii games get one free for 3/26 to 4/15, but if i can print it out online you will SAVE MY ASS!!!

Im looking for it not but now finding anything.

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/trade-ins/trade-ins.asp

this sort of says it, is there a better ad?

God i hate the people at gamestop/ebgames so much, i just wasted an hour going to different ones with all of them not knowing their own promotions. This is utterly ridiculous.[/quote]

That's it. Look at the bottom of the page. There's an asterisk which clearly states the restrictions and expiration date. Print the whole ad (I just did front and back of a page). There's not a whole lot for them to argue about that. The worst they can do is call a district manager to see if it's legit, and they'll tell them it is.

[quote name='Gotchaforce']Dude theyre working at gamestop and ebgames, do you expect them to be good at their jobs and even understand that there is no reason for them to feel like they need to make sure that the company isnt getting ripped off from their stupid deals?

Seriously wal-mart is pretty bad, but at least you know that you never worked at gamestop/ebgames. That is lower even than walmart on the "crappy retail store jobs"[/quote]

When FYE was doing the trade 2 get 1 for Xbox 360, I had cashiers act the same way though. They act like you're stealing. Sure, I suppose technically you're ripping them off, but I didn't hold a gun to their head and force them to do this promotion. It's just sad that you get treated like a criminal for being an informed consumer with a little business savvy.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']When FYE was doing the trade 2 get 1 for Xbox 360, I had cashiers act the same way though. They act like you're stealing. Sure, I suppose technically you're ripping them off, but I didn't hold a gun to their head and force them to do this promotion. It's just sad that you get treated like a criminal for being an informed consumer with a little business savvy.[/QUOTE]

The only time i was treated quesitonably for unopened games was for the psp games trade in deal waaaaaay back before the psp was released.

From then on i knew if i brought a sealed game the employees are absolute assholes and your chances go down to 0%.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']That's it. Look at the bottom of the page. There's an asterisk which clearly states the restrictions and expiration date. Print the whole ad (I just did front and back of a page). There's not a whole lot for them to argue about that. The worst they can do is call a district manager to see if it's legit, and they'll tell them it is.[/QUOTE]

I see the asterik at the bottom of the page but i am doubting the employees at gamestop can actually read.

gotchaforce, worst-case-scenario, try driving up the 101 to san bruno area. around the tanforan and serramonte malls i have asked and gotten this deal to work (there are about 6 or so gamestops/ebgames by 94066). if you'd like, here's a link to the store locator for my area.

good luck with that.

My BB is sold out of Open Season and Far Cry for the Wii... :(

Oh well, I still picked up Paper Mario at my BB with a $10 RZ cert so I got it for $39.99 anyways. I'll take $10 off a new game like this anyday! :)

[quote name='phattsoe']gotchaforce, worst-case-scenario, try driving up the 101 to san bruno area. around the tanforan and serramonte malls i have asked and gotten this deal to work (there are about 6 or so gamestops/ebgames by 94066). if you'd like, here's a link to the store locator for my area.

good luck with that.[/QUOTE]

Or even closer to San Jose...
Yesterday the Sunnyvale EB Games accepted my trades no questions asked. In fact I bought Open Season and Far Cry NEW and told him once the purchase was complete I wanted to trade it in for Super Paper Mario. He was like "you are a genius" and went and completed the triple transaction (Buy, trade, preorder)

If you are lucky the new "used" games I traded in yesterday will be there for purchase.

I brought in the print out and put it on the counter said "Heres my proof its on your own website" the guy replies with "OH YEAH it ends up that was true we called a couple more stores". I just put my face in my hands and sighed.

I did the deal, ended up trading in open season and red steel (which im sure was WORSE than open season).

Totally not worth my time though.

I literally didnt think gamestop/ebgames employees could get any stupider but they surprise me every single time i go in there.

The first post should be edited with:
1) works at both eb games and gamestop (everyone probably knows this)
2) Bring a printout because the respective stores employees DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HOW THEIR STORES WORK.

I called my local EB Games ahead of time, and they said the deal would work just fine. But my local Best Buy had exactly one copy of Open Season and no copies of Far Cry, so I was out of luck. Oh well.

[quote name='n8rockerasu'] I had my games sealed out of the fear of them not taking them (thanks to the "new email" hoax. fuck you to whoever started that nonsense) [/quote]
Hey now, that's not a hoax... multiple GS and EBs in my area have reported that they received an update saying that no games with less than a 5$ trade in value should be accepted (that of course includes far cry and open season).

I was at the mall here which had a Target and EBGames (hoping to find more trade fodder, no luck). I asked about the 2 for 1 Wii deal. The clerk said "That deal expired" and point up to the ceiling where they have posters hanging of current deals. I told him the deal was online so he said he doesn't know anything about it. I'm going back Thursday with my games (I didn't have them on me today) and try to get the deal done.

Here's my theory on why clerks are in denial...

I think GameStop realized what was happening after the price drops on Open Season and Far Cry. They contacted their managers to let them know about the deal but try to deny any deal is going on. So, posters went down and clerks are denying any such deal exists.

I think we should all complain to corporate and possibly even file complaints with BBB. This is pretty ridiculous. They will advertise a deal exists then deny because they realized they're getting screwed?

I'll be trying this tomorrow maybe. Bestbuy.com says my store has open season in stock, but I can't even find Far Cry on Wii. Hopefully I can get them both; don't know how GS would be able to deny me since it says any wii games and has no restrictions on the trade. SPM will be mine :D

I couldn't believe my BB has a few Far Cry but no copies of Open Season.

Do you think Eb will give me lip if I trade in two copies of Far Cry.

BTW, There's a $5 rebate on Far Cry for the Wii. That woulld make it $10 AR.

[quote name='imacgod']I was at the mall here which had a Target and EBGames (hoping to find more trade fodder, no luck). I asked about the 2 for 1 Wii deal. The clerk said "That deal expired" and point up to the ceiling where they have posters hanging of current deals. I told him the deal was online so he said he doesn't know anything about it. I'm going back Thursday with my games (I didn't have them on me today) and try to get the deal done.

Here's my theory on why clerks are in denial...

I think GameStop realized what was happening after the price drops on Open Season and Far Cry. They contacted their managers to let them know about the deal but try to deny any deal is going on. So, posters went down and clerks are denying any such deal exists.

I think we should all complain to corporate and possibly even file complaints with BBB. This is pretty ridiculous. They will advertise a deal exists then deny because they realized they're getting screwed?[/QUOTE]

You think too highly of gamestop, there is no way they have the coordination to do any of that.

Its just simply the employees not knowing shit.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I couldn't believe my BB has a few Far Cry but no copies of Open Season.

Do you think Eb will give me lip if I trade in two copies of Far Cry.

BTW, There's a $5 rebate on Far Cry for the Wii. That woulld make it $10 AR.[/QUOTE]

I tried to trade in two copies of 'Red Steel' and they wouldn't let me, but it might depend on the store.

[quote name='linkpwns']Couldn't you just pick up 2 of the same game?

I mean, they accept a trade of two of the same game, no?[/quote]

I was denied trying to trade in two Open Seasons.

My experience couldn't have gone smoother. My Best Buy had no Open Seasons and two Far Crys, I bought them both and ran over to GS. I walked in the door and asked the guy "On that trade two Wii titles for a new game, do you guys have a problem with the two trades being the same title"? He said "not at all", so I ran out to my car and opened the two I just bought. After trade I had SPM and an additional $5 on my Edge card ... not too shabby.

[quote name='gumpy5']I tried to trade in two copies of 'Red Steel' and they wouldn't let me, but it might depend on the store.[/quote]It should be policy to not allow more than one trade of the same item.

edit: looks like CrimsonPaw got lucky :D

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']BTW, There's a $5 rebate on Far Cry for the Wii. That woulld make it $10 AR.[/quote]Where is the rebate, and how do I get it? Do I need the UPC from the game? I suppose that wouldn't matter since GS takes games in just about any shape.

[quote name='imacgod']
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with the other guy - if they were coordinated about this all they would have to do is pull all the used and new copies of Far Cry and Open Season until after the promo is over (would stop store-to-store flipping anyway).

But the reason some stores think it is over became clear to me yesterday. I grabbed a flier advertizing the deal from enar the register last night in case I had trouble at other stores later. Then I noticed this flier said it ended March 25th, so it was for the *previous* time they ran this deal. That ended, but a new one started up. So some employees may know about the previous deal and not the current one.

Of course, when I got the call from "Aeris" to pick up my SPM preorder she said (in the message) that I should bring in 2 PS3 or Wii games to trade for a new game ("some restrictions apply"). :rofl: So they are definitely still pushing the deal in some ways...

So, finally, today I made out with the bonus credit like I didn't in my previous trips. I traded in the 2 games to pay off my SPM preorder (which I already had for a long time at this store). Then the guy said if I preordered something else I'd get a 10% bonus (first time I've EVER been offered this ongoing deal without asking about it). Plus I got the Edge bonus. I ended up getting over $5 back (plus my original SPM deposit) AFTER fully paying off SPM and putting $5 on NiGHTS. Sweet!

By the way, Gamecrazy finally dropped Far Cry and Open Season to $19.99. Unfortunately, the used prices are still $40+ (for now - I'm sure they will drop sooner or later). Anyway, there's another source for the games which is especially good if you have credit to use there.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']It should be policy to not allow more than one trade of the same item.

edit: looks like CrimsonPaw got lucky :D

Where is the rebate, and how do I get it? Do I need the UPC from the game? I suppose that wouldn't matter since GS takes games in just about any shape.[/QUOTE]

1) Get it at Pricegrabber.com.
2) Write a review.
3) Photocopy the back of the game with UPC and receipt
4) Fill out rebate form and mail to Pricegrabber.
5) Wait for check.

There's a whole thread about it here.

Just got my copy of Super Paper Mario. They had Open Season at Best Buy, but no Far Cry. I ran across the street to Target and they had Far Cry, so I had to shell $20 for it. Then I took them to my EBgames and traded them in.

Now that I found out the rebate for Far Cry, I'll hold onto my recipt, buy Far Cry from Gamestop, photocopy the UPC, then return the game.

Or take a picture of the UPC with my camera phone.....

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']edit: looks like CrimsonPaw got lucky :D[/quote]
I think it helps that I was in my business attire since I just got off work; the only thing the guy said was "how'd you manage to get two of the same game?" I made up some BS about me wanting it and my wife and I picking it up for me at the same time.

I traded the Open Season/Far Cry combo 3 times so far.
1. Super Paper Mario
2. Mario Party 8
3. My Sims

I bought them used for $16.19 each.
I would do it again, but they aren't taking pre-orders for Mario Galaxy or SSB

Stupid girl at BB wouldn't let me buy more than one game with the coupons. And she tried to take my extra coupons from me, saying it was against the law to try and use more than onecoupon per customer. And I was riding the bus, so I couldn't just drop the one game off in the car and wait for a chance with a different cashier.

*sigh*

Sweet. Going to print out the coupons and try this out tomorrow. Hope my EB still has Super Paper Mario in stock. I'm 90% sure I'll get the "Oh, wow, are you lucky. This is our last copy. You should preorder next time to be safe" speech.

So I was at Target and saw World Series Poker for the Wii at 20.98 I'd figure I'd take a chance and see if its cheaper. Turned out to be 9.98, on my way out I called GS and ask if I can trade 2 of the same game for the new Wii game and the guy put me on hold asked someone, came back and said it was fine. I asked for his name. Fast forward to 30min ago...Got to GS and tried to trade in 2 WSP games and the guy immediately said no. I told him I spoke with ____ earlier and he said that the guy was new and didnt know store policy.

fucking idiots. Now I have to find 2 more $20 or less games. To get 2 games, since I don't think returning one WSP would be a good idea.

Question on the Best Buy coupons. Do you guys enlarge them or use them as how the come out when you print? I printed them and the fine print wasn't even readable.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Stupid girl at BB wouldn't let me buy more than one game with the coupons. And she tried to take my extra coupons from me, saying it was against the law to try and use more than onecoupon per customer. And I was riding the bus, so I couldn't just drop the one game off in the car and wait for a chance with a different cashier.

*sigh*[/quote]
Do Best Buy managers teach their cashiers to do illegal things by lying to their customers about the law? This isn't the first time i've heard of Best Buy doing something not within their rights and enforcing it by lying to ignorant customers about what is and what isnt against the law.

Disgusting.

[quote name='Sgt Grumbles']Sweet. Going to print out the coupons and try this out tomorrow. Hope my EB still has Super Paper Mario in stock. I'm 90% sure I'll get the "Oh, wow, are you lucky. This is our last copy. You should preorder next time to be safe" speech.[/quote]

Not only that, but they'll also try to sell you the "if you're a retard and use your games as coasters" protection plan for $3, and also the SPM strategy guide offered at a special discount of 20% off if bought at the same time as the game! :D

:roll: I swear, it's not good enough to just shop at a place anymore, they try to hook you into a bunch of other crap too. My favorite thing is going into Blockbuster to rent a movie and being harrassed to no end about their online service. Sometimes I just feel like saying "Inter..net...what's thaaaat??"

So I was at Target and saw World Series Poker for the Wii at 20.98 I'd figure I'd take a chance and see if its cheaper. Turned out to be 9.98, on my way out I called GS and ask if I can trade 2 of the same game for the new Wii game and the guy put me on hold asked someone, came back and said it was fine. I asked for his name. Fast forward to 30min ago...Got to GS and tried to trade in 2 WSP games and the guy immediately said no. I told him I spoke with ____ earlier and he said that the guy was new and didnt know store policy.

fucking idiots. Now I have to find 2 more $20 or less games. To get 2 games, since I don't think returning one WSP would be a good idea.

Question on the Best Buy coupons. Do you guys enlarge them or use them as how the come out when you print? I printed them and the fine print wasn't even readable.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So I was at Target and saw World Series Poker for the Wii at 20.98 I'd figure I'd take a chance and see if its cheaper. Turned out to be 9.98[/quote]

Damn, is that YMMV?

Imma try this tommorow and see what happens. My best friend is a manager at GS so trading in the games shouldn't be a problem...finding the games in stock at BB might be the only issue.

[quote name='SpazX']Damn, is that YMMV?[/quote]

Yes. Most Target clearances are. Wii games especially- if your Target recently got a remodeled area for video games with more glass cases, I wouldn't count on seeing any Wii games clearanced.

[quote name='Sgt Grumbles']Sweet. Going to print out the coupons and try this out tomorrow. Hope my EB still has Super Paper Mario in stock. I'm 90% sure I'll get the "Oh, wow, are you lucky. This is our last copy. You should preorder next time to be safe" speech.[/QUOTE]

Well, just to give you *some* idea of what it might be like, the store I preordered at had 25 preorders and got 5 extra copies beyond that. So, anyway, try to do it tomorrow at least because they probably will run out of this initial shipment pretty quickly.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']My experience couldn't have gone smoother. My Best Buy had no Open Seasons and two Far Crys, I bought them both and ran over to GS. I walked in the door and asked the guy "On that trade two Wii titles for a new game, do you guys have a problem with the two trades being the same title"? He said "not at all", so I ran out to my car and opened the two I just bought. After trade I had SPM and an additional $5 on my Edge card ... not too shabby.[/quote]

This deserves a man-clap: :applause:

I was lucky to get a copy of farcry for 10 bucks seeing how my bestbuy was having 50 % off certain video games :p and bought open season from gamestop for around 16 bucks. So in the end I was about to get super paper mario for around 26 dollars not bad at all ^_^

My local Best Buy only had Far Cry in stock, so I bought it for around 16 after coupon and tax. Went to Target and picked up Open Season for 21 after tax. Stopped at the closest GameStop to make the trade, was first told the deal had ended on 3/25. I said that the website stated an end date of 4/15. The guy looked all around saw a poster that was on the wall behind him advertising the deal, and then said, oh yeah they must have extended it. I was shot down at this store, however, as I hadn't removed the shrink wrap from the games. He told me to open them and take it to one of their other locations. So I opened the games on the way to the next GS, made the trade for SPM there with no problem. The even screwed up and I ended up with an extra $2 on a gift card.

Bought Far Cry and Open Season from JR.com for about 24 bucks shipped. Got lucky yesterday on my second Gamestop. First one was sold out, but I should have figured since it's in a highly trafficked spot. Ended up finding a Gamestop with some in stock near my college and they took the trade-in without any problems.

FYI, the BestBuy in Austin at Gateway Shopping center had about 10 copies of Farcry on Wii and about 5 copies of Open Season on Wii. I was able to get them both with a coupon applied to each on the same receipt. Then GameStop took them both in even trade for Super Paper Mario but they made me open them first (the manager said since they are not theirs they cannot sell them used and sealed since the boxes could be empty).

Thanks a lot to the OP because despite this deal being reported elsewhere this was the most obvious post I saw.

Thanks!

[quote name='woodcan']FYI, the BestBuy in Austin at Gateway Shopping center had about 10 copies of Farcry on Wii and about 5 copies of Open Season on Wii. I was able to get them both with a coupon applied to each on the same receipt. Then GameStop took them both in even trade for Super Paper Mario but they made me open them first (the manager said since they are not theirs they cannot sell them used and sealed since the boxes could be empty).

Thanks a lot to the OP because despite this deal being reported elsewhere this was the most obvious post I saw.

Thanks![/quote]

Your lucky you didn't get flat out refused for not having them open prior to walking in the door. From other's comments on these boards most EB/GS folks seem to think you stole the games when you walk in like that.

[quote name='daminion']Your lucky you didn't get flat out refused for not having them open prior to walking in the door. From other's comments on these boards most EB/GS folks seem to think you stole the games when you walk in like that.[/quote]

Maybe we should just say, "Look... We bought both games for less than $50 total and retail at other stores. Now we're just trading them in to take advantage of your 2 for 1 deal."

:lol:

Picked up Elebits and WarioWare to round off my collection. I don't think there's anything else out right now that I want.

I took sealed games into one EBStop and they almost refused to take them. But I told the guy, "well, I can leave these 2 copies here with you and be back from my car with 2 completely different opened copies in a couple of minutes if it matter." He didn't make me go there. :applause:

And I was going to pick up one more set to make a reservation (by getting a $49.99 game to bring back within 30 days), but I noticed there is nothing coming out in the next 30 days other than Mortal Kombat. Are some people getting their stores to give them a straight $49.99 credit to use for a Wii game whenever they want? Is there a good game coming out I'm not aware of?
I don't think EBStop will let you pay off a game in full in advance so what gives? How are they ringing that one up?

[quote name='fairtrade']
I don't think EBStop will let you pay off a game in full in advance so what gives? How are they ringing that one up?[/QUOTE]

Yeah you can. I always pay for mine in full

bread's done
Back