"WII" to change again?

"49% said they wouldn't buy the console judging only by its name"

That's just pathetic. Are those numbers true? Where did they conduct that survey?

[quote name='6669']"49% said they wouldn't buy the console judging only by its name"

That's just pathetic. Are those numbers true? Where did they conduct that survey?[/quote]

I have yet to hear a single person actually say something like that. I'm sure this post could produce a few people to agree and say they wouldn't buy it because of the name, but please, give me a break. It sure as hell is no 50%. If the numbers are from a legit survey then someone walked around a retirement community and asked which product they would buy a Revolution or a Wii, with no context what so ever, 50% might not like the name. But if you've seen the system and no Nintendo then why would you care about the name enough to boycot the system??

Funny how negative the reaction to the name change was around E3, and nobody believed the disappointment would go away. Now it seems as nobody cares, not that they really should have in the first place.

I still personally prefer "Go" if they had to change it from Revolution.

[quote name='TimPV3']Funny how negative the reaction to the name change was around E3, and nobody believed the disappointment would go away. Now it seems as nobody cares, not that they really should have in the first place.

I still personally prefer "Go" if they had to change it from Revolution.[/QUOTE]

"Go" does have a pretty good ring to it, but I wonder if that wouldn't confuse people into thinking it's a portable.

They could call it "Steaming Pile of Dog Dung" and Nintendo fans would buy it.

Given how pointless some names have become, you know seemingly silly, they can call it anything and if it's a good product it's then viewed as a "brilliant marketing strategy establishing a new brand".

I'd believe it when I see it from a more renoun site that sources it from better information. A random rant "attributed" to "Someone over at the Nintendo Marketing Department" doesn't exactly seem all that valid.

[quote name='6669']"49% said they wouldn't buy the console judging only by its name"

That's just pathetic. Are those numbers true? Where did they conduct that survey?[/QUOTE]

What people say and what they do are often completely different... while I'm sure that some kids won't buy the system because of the name (because kids are stupid), most of that 49% will end up wanting the system anyway.

[quote name='CheapyD']No chance in hell Nintendo is changing the name of the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better.

This thing is set in stone.

Like I said, if it establishes itself as a great product the name is irrelevant and will be called a brilliant move in establishing a new brand and a new gameplay concept.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Couldn't have said it better.

This thing is set in stone.

Like I said, if it establishes itself as a great product the name is irrelevant and will be called a brilliant move in establishing a new brand and a new gameplay concept.[/quote]

High Risk, High Reward.
People should be glad to see such initiative from Nintendo.
They could have just taken the easy, conservative way out and used the mundane "Revolution" name, but they took a risk and went with Wii.

Hopefully, it pays off.

I kinda scoffed at first, but I gotta say... you see "Wii" mentioned anywhere, and you know exactly what is being discussed. "Revolution," however, could apply to anything.

It was really a smart move to unveil the Wii name before E3.
This way, everyone was used to it by the time the show took place. Otherwise, people might have focused on the name during the show, instead of the product itself.

Sony should have done the same thing with the PS3 price announcement. They should have announced either before or after E3.

[quote name='CheapyD']It was really a smart move to unveil the Wii name before E3.
This way, everyone was used to it by the time the show took place. Otherwise, people might have focused on the name during the show, instead of the product itself.

Sony should have done the same thing with the PS3 price announcement. They should have announced either before or after E3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the giant enemy crabs and RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACEEEEEEEEER were enought of a shock to me.

That's just pathetic. Are those numbers true? Where did they conduct that survey?[/quote]

That survey is so legitamite that when you click on the poll link it can't be displayed. What a stupid survey if that is actually true. Also stupid people.

[quote name='schuerm26']That survey is so legitamite that when you click on the poll link it can't be displayed. What a stupid survey if that is actually true. Also stupid people.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's what I was wondering.

What does that even mean? I wouldn't buy any console just because of the name. Are they trying to state that 49% would choose not to buy it because of the name, regardless of other factors? That isn't how it reads to me.

[quote name='guessed']What does that even mean? I wouldn't buy any console just because of the name. Are they trying to state that 49% would choose not to buy it because of the name, regardless of other factors? That isn't how it reads to me.[/QUOTE]
I was wondering what the rest of the results of the survey say. Does that mean 51% would buy the console on its name only?

You have to consider the people that visit that site can't represent the consumers that Nintendo wants to target, you know, millions of buyers. Plus, they didn't say how many people participated in the survey.

Oh, and the page that's supposed to have the survey is down.

Yeah the "poll" is lame and not enough info, but Sony wins by just having the name Sony so why not? I know people who will buy the PS3 because it's the PS3 and no other reason.

That said I doubt they will change the name.

SHould have called it Vii... dumbasses at Nintendo.

[quote name='CheapyD']It was really a smart move to unveil the Wii name before E3.
This way, everyone was used to it by the time the show took place. Otherwise, people might have focused on the name during the show, instead of the product itself.[/QUOTE]

Word. I can only imagine what the CAG Chat Room during the Wii Conference would have been like - and trust you me, it would not be pretty.

CheapyD owned this thread.

Since he is the big boss man and everyone knows that, I do not wish to be seen as the ass-kisser in here, so let me use the remainder of this post to tell CheapyD that his ESRB advertisements were weaker than Andy Dick's stand up.

Look,

I don't care what you say, "Wii" is a dumb name. I'm a huge Nintendo fan, and I'm buying the system, but calling it "Wii"? Strictly on name alone, right now if you say "let's go play PS2" there is no risk there. But if you say "let's go play Gamecube" I'm sorry, there is a big risk whoever you're talking to is going to look at you like you just asked him if he wants to ride his tricycle over to your house for a lolly-pop. Is that due largely to public ignorance? Yes - but reality is reality.

If you look at some of my other posts you will see that my Nintendo bias strongly favors the company. But sometimes you just have to accept reality.

Picture yourself on the phone:
"Want to come over and play a little PS3 tonight?"
Or
"Want to come over and play a little Wii tonight?"

I'm very disappointed with the name choice. Maybe it *shouldn't* hurt, but it's obviously not going to help.

[quote name='chosen1s']Picture yourself on the phone:
"Want to come over and play a little PS3 tonight?"
Or
"Want to come over and play a little Wii tonight?"[/quote]

Who am I talking to on the phone in the above scenario?

You are correct, though. There needs to be a manly suffix that will stomp advertisements. It ain't cool unless it's a BOX or a STATION. Going with something that doesn't sounds like it has sharp edges means that it does not posess any real threat to women and/or children, which makes the manly past time of kicking ass at a video game so much more unappealing. Especially when you have to call some random someone to ask to be your playmate and you have to say "Wii."

However, all of your Revolution supporters, you are really forgetting the following:
  • it won't be televised
  • Russians had one
  • French had one
  • Che was a communist
  • number nine? number nine? NUMBER NINE?

Shakespeare got it wrong. A rose called "Wii" would stink like asshole.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Who am I talking to on the phone in the above scenario?

You are correct, though. There needs to be a manly suffix that will stomp advertisements. It ain't cool unless it's a BOX or a STATION. Going with something that doesn't sounds like it has sharp edges means that it does not posess any real threat to women and/or children, which makes the manly past time of kicking ass at a video game so much more unappealing. Especially when you have to call some random someone to ask to be your playmate and you have to say "Wii."

However, all of your Revolution supporters, you are really forgetting the following:
  • it won't be televised
  • Russians had one
  • French had one
  • Che was a communist
  • number nine? number nine? NUMBER NINE?

Shakespeare got it wrong. A rose called "Wii" would stink like asshole.[/QUOTE]

Nice sarcastic remark. Who are you talking to in the above scenario? You're talking to the sheeple (Yeah, I stole that one but it applies) who generally represent the mainstream buyers of video games and mindlessly follow marketing ploys rather than actual quality. The same people who bought an XBox because it plays DVD's (Not that XBox isn't a worthy system, but choosing a game system because it plays DVD's is counter-intuitive in my book).

Everybody said "Gamecube will be fine without a DVD option built in, people just want to play the games". I can't tell you how many minimum wage employees I saw talking parents out of the Gamecube they were holding and into buying an XBox strictly because it could play DVD's.

You can sit on your high horse thinking everybody in the world is as smart as you and above the marketing hype - but to use your example I'll challenge you to prove it. We'll set up a rose-selling stand on either side of the street with identical roses. I'll call mine "fresh red roses" and you call yours "rotten turd flowers". I'm assuming the public will figure out that there is nothing inherent in the name of what you're selling and our sales for the day will be basically equal. After all, by your sarcastic remark I am assuming that you would believe a rose by any other name would sell just fine...

I think his point was, who do you talk to like that? I've never once said "Do you want to play my GameCube?" nor have ever been asked "Do you want to play some PS2?" or anything like that. Usually statements like that refer to specific games or to "video games" in general.

Besides the fact, once "Wii" is generally known by the public, no one's going to care. I'm pretty sure if I talked to the dude at GameRush when he first started and asked about the Wii, he'd crack up or wonder what I was smoking. Now that he knows what it is, he just says "Nope, no games in the system yet."

Yes people will make fun of it for years to come. Same with any other product they either don't like or refer to affectionately. Gaystation, anyone?

I see what you're saying, but I disagree. He did have that point, but the rest of his post was condescending and sarcastic and argued several points beyond "who talks like that".

Incidentally, I talk like that - in that, I'm asking friends if they want to come over to play Gamecube games. It's a lot easier than saying "Want to play some Smash Brothers...or Mario Kart DD...or Mario Strikers...or one of the other 4-player games I have at my house that we all enjoy?"

I'm surprised if others don't talk like that but whatever. My g/f had a sister get married this weekend and her cousins came in (old-school gamers). Soon as they found out I had a Nintendo 64 we found out that we all had at least one college experience in common, and had several conversations that went something like this: "Want to play 64 later on?" -- "Sure - I'm thinking Mario Kart or Goldeneye" - "Either one's fine" etc. etc.

I still say a lame name like "Wii" isn't going to help Nintendo in the least. I'm rooting for Nintendo 100%, which is why the name change was such a disappointment. I sincerely hope Nintendo proves me wrong.

When all the other stores on the block are called something like Fresh Red Roses, every single person who walks by will think "I wonder what that Rotten Turn Flowers store is all about." Well, ok, maybe not Rotten Turd Flowers, but that's a little unfair. It's not like it is going to be called "Boring Hate-me Console." A more parallel flower store name might be Wang's Easy Erect Flowers.

[quote name='chosen1s']
You can sit on your high horse thinking everybody in the world is as smart as you and above the marketing hype - but to use your example I'll challenge you to prove it. We'll set up a rose-selling stand on either side of the street with identical roses. I'll call mine "fresh red roses" and you call yours "rotten turd flowers". I'm assuming the public will figure out that there is nothing inherent in the name of what you're selling and our sales for the day will be basically equal. After all, by your sarcastic remark I am assuming that you would believe a rose by any other name would sell just fine...[/quote]

[quote name='BKPartisan']When all the other stores on the block are called something like Fresh Red Roses, every single person who walks by will think "I wonder what that Rotten Turn Flowers store is all about." Well, ok, maybe not Rotten Turd Flowers, but that's a little unfair. It's not like it is going to be called "Boring Hate-me Console." A more parallel flower store name might be Wang's Easy Erect Flowers.[/quote]
Even if it was called Wangs Easy Erect Flowers, if it sold good flowers, more people would go there than the others.

[quote name='chosen1s']I see what you're saying, but I disagree. He did have that point, but the rest of his post was condescending and sarcastic and argued several points beyond "who talks like that".[/quote]

First and foremost, you can calm down, I wasn't harassing you. If I were to harass you, I'd find some dumbass post that you've posted elsewhere that would give me way more ammunition than you posting your opinion that the name is bad. I hope you don't feel offended that a person posting on an internet forum has posted something condescending about choices in videogame advertisements. Yes, words like BOX, CUBE, STATION, -CAST are there for a reason, and while you may feel bad that I find it funny, I feel empowered. I learned that word from Oprah.

[quote name='chosen1s']
Incidentally, I talk like that - in that, I'm asking friends if they want to come over to play Gamecube games. It's a lot easier than saying "Want to play some Smash Brothers...or Mario Kart DD...or Mario Strikers...or one of the other 4-player games I have at my house that we all enjoy?"[/quote]

That is beside the damn point. I will go as far as to say that I don't really give a shit _WHAT_ people say as long as I get to come over to their house and stomp their ass in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I prefer if they feed me as well. Or at least give me some beverages, the alcoholic content of which is optional on my first visit.

[quote name='chosen1s']I still say a lame name like "Wii" isn't going to help Nintendo in the least. I'm rooting for Nintendo 100%, which is why the name change was such a disappointment. I sincerely hope Nintendo proves me wrong.[/quote]

Fair enough. However, considering that the claim that "a lame name like Wii isn't going to help Nintendo" has no real basis, no provision for proof, no statistics associated with it, and can hardly be anything but some dude's opinion (I will give you some cool points for using complete sentences and not making my nose bleed), I see no reason in actually having a large discussion about it.

So, don't feel bad that instead I chose to make some jokes about the name Revolution: those jokes were miles ahead of it's time. Their originality is a complete breed of it's own, and I was glad to finally share this material with the world. Think about it: I've mentioned the Russians, the French, made an allusion to a famous song, a famous T-shirt celebrity AND to a Beatles song that they DO NOT play on the radio... All in one post! You can all stop applauding. This is the internet and I can't fucking hear you.

[quote name='chosen1s']

Everybody said "Gamecube will be fine without a DVD option built in, people just want to play the games". I can't tell you how many minimum wage employees I saw talking parents out of the Gamecube they were holding and into buying an XBox strictly because it could play DVD's[/QUOTE]

Really?

I can't tell you the amount of people who I have seen on the bus who have to be poorer than dirt, but they all have bought their Gamecube's from Walmart. Your "logic" is faulty at best. Even with dumbass employees, I have a feeling you are one of them, the poor people buying can tell the cost difference. The GC cost at one point $150, now $100. At those same points in time the Xbox cost $200 and $180. In order to play the DVDs on the Xbox you need a $30 remote kit thing. That brings the $180 price to $210. I bought a DVD player at Sears for $35 two years ago, that's the cost of the Xbox remote. For the $60 difference between the GC and Xbox you can buy a pretty good DVD player. Hell every Christmas now you can find a $15 DVD player at Walmart. So why the fuck would someone spend so much more money on an Xbox when they can just save money and buy a GC and DVD player seperatly?

You can sit on your high horse thinking everybody in the world is dumber than you, but in the real world we are so much smarter.

David85:

You are correct in every possible regard, but he's not talking about "us," he is talking about "dumbass parents." In that respect, his high horse is that mothers and fathers who apparently are the greatest market share will be easily talked out of buying a Nintendo product due to the name.

As you can see, a person can throw out all kinds of argumentation (such as mentioning DVD player functionality of a console in a thread about Nintendo's choice of the console title), and you can spend your precious time arguing it all you want, but alas, his point stands strong because "it wasn't about DVD crap, it was about how Wii is a bad name."

"One fool can ask more questions in a minute than 1000 wise men can answer in 1000 years." (An OLD Russian Proverb)

bread's done
Back