Wii to get its first non-VC downloadable game

catapult37

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I can't say I've ever played the game in question -- "Impossible Mission," originally for the Commodore 64 -- but I'm excited to hear this news. Looks like the game is being remade and will be available for download not from the VC but from the Shop Channel, meaning this is the first of what I can only hope will be a steady stream of original content coming down the pike.

I have to admit, though, I'd figure there'd be more fanfare -- like a whole new channel dedicated to this stuff. I personally find the Shop Channel a little overdesigned. It takes too much clicking to find the actual content, making the interface a bit of a barrier to "impulse buys". People like us follow the news online, but I doubt many people are checking the shop channel daily or even weekly for updates.

Anyway, this original content stuff is good news. Even if it's not the greatest game, I'll probably buy it just to support the idea and hopefully ensure that the Wii will eventually get its Geometry Wars or Calling All Cars.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/poppin-fresh/wii-shop-channel-pops-its-cherry-257323.php

Info about the original game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_Mission

That is a great game! It actually was impossible too, couldn't be finished due to some glitch. Can't wait to check it out :bouncy:

STAY AWHILE!

STAY FOREVER!!!

omg I LOVED that stupid game back in the day. According to the newest Nintendo power, theres also a new/updated version coming out for the Wii. *edit* I meant DS.

If you've never played/heard of it, think of a mashup of Elevator Action, and Flashback/Out of this world. Kinda...

Meh--it was passable back in "the day," but its hardly a title to get overly excited about. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be an original IP. Dissapointed, but good to see I guess, if you like paying money for old computer games that haven't aged well. Whats next--Tony LaRussa baseball?

[quote name='Serpentor']So, i'm assuming the game will be saved to the SD card? Or Wii is going to have an external HD add-on?[/quote]

I'm sure it'll save to the internal memory.

Hopefully this will be the title that paves the way for more non-VC downloads, with original IPs coming in the future.

Agreed. With online multi too.

[quote name='Vinny']I'll wait until I see how much it costs before saying anything.[/quote]

That's a good question considering VC prices.
Will they try to compete with Live or even PSN prices?

We'll see.

[quote name='dallow']That's a good question considering VC prices.
Will they try to compete with Live or even PSN prices?

We'll see.[/quote]For most people, the price of downloadable games on Wii will be compared to VC pricing, not Live or PSN, so that's what they will have to price it against. It's less a question of "why would I pay $8 for this when I can go buy a 360 and pay $5 for a comparable game?" than "why would I pay $8 for this when I can get this awesome SNES game for the same $8?"

[quote name='botticus']For most people, the price of downloadable games on Wii will be compared to VC pricing, not Live or PSN, so that's what they will have to price it against. It's less a question of "why would I pay $8 for this when I can go buy a 360 and pay $5 for a comparable game?" than "why would I pay $8 for this when I can get this awesome SNES game for the same $8?"[/quote]

Then that really sucks.

So will the Wii controllers work on this game, or would we have to use Game Cube controllers ? Forgive my ignorance

[quote name='fshaia']So will the Wii controllers work on this game, or would we have to use Game Cube controllers ? Forgive my ignorance[/quote]

No information on this yet, but it's unlikely that GC controllers would be required. With the VC right now, GC controllers are optional, but not required for anything.

Side note: You must use the GC controller when playing a GC game because when you go into GC backward-compatibility mode, the machine basically becomes a Gamecube, and has no concept of wireless communication or the Wii menu or whatever.

Who could forget the annoying "Ahhhhhhh!!!" when the guy fell!!! Maybe they'll release the "One on One - Dr. J vs. Larry Bird" for VC or the shop channel!!!:applause:

I liked Impossible Mission. The main character jumped like a jackass, doing that somersault flip thing.

I'd buy it, but Wii Shop Channel takes decades to load on my Wii.

And they charge too much.

But I'd buy it for $5. Won't BE $5, but I'd buy it for $5.

[quote name='dallow']That's a good question considering VC prices.
Will they try to compete with Live or even PSN prices?[/QUOTE]

Is there a difference? Isn't Pac Man or Gauntlet -- whatever stuff they have in common -- the same price across the board?

[quote name='trq']Is there a difference? Isn't Pac Man or Gauntlet -- whatever stuff they have in common -- the same price across the board?[/quote]

I don't use Live anymore, so I don't know their pricing schemes.
They use points, so dollar value flucuates.

They don't have any games in common right now. Similar games, I suppose.
Prices vary from game to game though on PSN. All are relatively low.

[quote name='gleasone']Who could forget the annoying "Ahhhhhhh!!!" when the guy fell!!! Maybe they'll release the "One on One - Dr. J vs. Larry Bird" for VC or the shop channel!!!:applause:[/QUOTE]

"Get him my robots!" :) The funny thing was, the Amiga version had a LAME voice actor... He sounded like a cross between Liberace and Richard Simmons.... No accent at all to speak of.. and the annoying habit of stretching out the "rrrrr" in "forever".

Man, those were the memories...

It's good to see non-console titles coming to the Wii... now, if I only had one :p

[quote name='dallow']I don't use Live anymore, so I don't know their pricing schemes.
They use points, so dollar value flucuates.

They don't have any games in common right now. Similar games, I suppose.
Prices vary from game to game though on PSN. All are relatively low.[/QUOTE]

Well, since I'm new to Live and have been checking out various things I'll chime in here. Of course, with points it is much like the Wii. But let's assume you buy the 1600 points card for $20 retail (just like 2000 Wii points cards).

It appears, to me, that all XBLA games are $10 (800 points) except for arcade remakes and things like Backgammon which are $5 (400 points). But pretty much any of the decent stuff is $10. If Nintendo can price original content at that level they will be competing with Live. But then this is a remake of an old game so it falls somewhere in between an original game and an arcade remix. So, I dunno, I guess $8 (ie, 800 Wii points) is a fair level, though probably not one that I would pay ;).

But really, the big handicap to getting decent original downloadable games for the Wii is the pathetic on board storage coupled with the lack of ability to play off the SD cards. Hopefully they can fix the latter situation with an upgrade. And I'm sure one hardware change that will happen with the system is that they will add more flash memory. I haven't even downloaded that many VC games, but I'm already starting to push it with what I have left.

Though I guess if they stick to the old XBLA-type limit (of what was it, 50MB?), they might be OK for a while. People can get a few of those types of games no problem.

[quote name='remorhaz']That is a great game! It actually was impossible too, couldn't be finished due to some glitch. Can't wait to check it out :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
The Atari 7800 NTSC version of Impossible Mission was the one with the glitch (puzzle pieces placed 'under' computer terminals).

The vastly superior (IMHO) Commodore 64 version didn't suffer from that glitch, although there was a problem with its sprite collision detection routine (you could get electrocuted by a robot without being near it, just at the same relative platform level).

If the game is coming to the DS and PSP, then i think you could only hope that itll cost as much as VC titles instead of how much it will for those portable consoles.

Unless theres some bells and whistles for the DS/PSP I dont know about

bread's done
Back