Wii U back in stock @ Target

The deal been available at BB and GS since June, but the sales for Xbox 360 has been declining every month compare to last year. So I do not think it will get 10% of sales.

[quote name='62t']The deal been available at BB and GS since June, but the sales for Xbox 360 has been declining every month compare to last year. So I do not think it will get 10% of sales.[/QUOTE]

As I said, it's a dry run. Did you read my posts before replying or did you read like half then reply? A dry run is a trial to test the waters for the real thing and work out the bugs. They didn't just start this a year before the new console is released by coincidence after all.
The current Xbox pricing is very different than a new launch will be so way more people will take advantage of this. Why do I even have to type this. Either you didn't read my posts fully or you are being intentionally obtuse. The Wii U is going to have a hell of a time competing against a $199.99 Xbox 720 under contract.

[quote name='62t']The dry run was at MS store (limited area), then it was expanded to GS and BB (basically everywhere)[/QUOTE]

So you think that the dry run for a major console launch doesn't include the current setup? You simply don't agree with anything I say because you hate this and can't stand for it to be true. Is that right? The MS store was a test market type of small scale thing. The current is a dry run for the real launch. When you see 199.99 720's flying off the shelves next year, try no to glower too much at being incredibly wrong about this. I won't say I told you so because I already know it will work. Everyone was wrong about the original Wii launch but I predicted that and now I predict massive subsidized console sales that disrupt the console market.

You would have to be a moron to buy the current 99 dollar xbox. If they do that again with the 720, its going to be a rip off yet again.

I think the contract console will work, a lot of people don't have $600 to buy a new console up front but they will pay $199 for a new Xbox with 2 year xbox live subscription. I personally think its not a bad deal if they warranty your console for the 2 year period instead of 1 year.

It does sound a bit more attractive for new hardware though rather than something that you can buy for roughly $149 new if you need a replacement console or if you want to get started. If this option is properly advertised and the console is very expensive without the contract then it will work.

If anyone tries to sell a console for $600 it will not work again, I don't think anything over $399 will sell in this economy, since there are simply cheaper options out there.

The main problem though is a large portion of your install base will likely be people that already had a 360, and most likely already has a running live account. If they already have months of it running,what would then be the point of getting a 2 year contract?

Also, those that do have live, will likely know its not a good deal, and can get it cheaper.

[quote name='Deader2818']The main problem though is a large portion of your install base will likely be people that already had a 360, and most likely already has a running live account. If they already have months of it running,what would then be the point of getting a 2 year contract?

Also, those that do have live, will likely know its not a good deal, and can get it cheaper.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what happens, go buy a $99 Xbox and find out. Seriously though, I'm sure that MS has taken that into account. No doubt they tack your current subscription onto the end or something.

When you say "those of us" I assume you mean specifically CAG's because "most" gamers are not CAG members and "most" gamers pay full price using their credit card to pay for the subscription with auto-renewal on.

[quote name='SaraAB']I think the contract console will work, a lot of people don't have $600 to buy a new console up front but they will pay $199 for a new Xbox with 2 year xbox live subscription. I personally think its not a bad deal if they warranty your console for the 2 year period instead of 1 year.[/QUOTE]

While Microsoft's pricing scheme for the XBox line seems like a good idea initially, they are walking on rotten ice. Ever since Playstation Plus started gaining traction, a lot of people have begun questioning the need for a subscription fee for XBox Live. Back when XBox Live was the end-all-be-all of console online gaming, it made considerably more sense to pay a premium for Microsoft's on-line service. But now on-line support and on-line play are considered default features, even for Nintendo's platforms. The XBox is now the only home console that you can't play on-line games on out of the box.

This value disparity is beginning to work against Microsoft. It's time for them to start re-evaluating XBox Live's subscription system.

We also need to hear more about the upcoming systems. At the moment they are both just big question marks. An accurate appraisal of the future of the console market requires more information.

[quote name='Richard Kain']While Microsoft's pricing scheme for the XBox line seems like a good idea initially, they are walking on rotten ice. Ever since Playstation Plus started gaining traction, a lot of people have begun questioning the need for a subscription fee for XBox Live. Back when XBox Live was the end-all-be-all of console online gaming, it made considerably more sense to pay a premium for Microsoft's on-line service. But now on-line support and on-line play are considered default features, even for Nintendo's platforms. The XBox is now the only home console that you can't play on-line games on out of the box.

This value disparity is beginning to work against Microsoft. It's time for them to start re-evaluating XBox Live's subscription system.

We also need to hear more about the upcoming systems. At the moment they are both just big question marks. An accurate appraisal of the future of the console market requires more information.[/QUOTE]
MS's service is still a lot better. You can't do anything like this on the PSN. It's much better than getting the 2 and 4 year old around the computer to Skype with family. You can talk to them from your living room and they can see the whole room.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6VhhVlS1bw

[quote name='Blaster man']MS's service is still a lot better. You can't do anything like this on the PSN. It's much better than getting the 2 and 4 year old around the computer to Skype with family. You can talk to them from your living room and they can see the whole room.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that an extra feature that requires a $100 peripheral really counts as a selling point for a subscription service. The real draw for subscribing to XBox Live continues to be the ability to play games on-line. Without the gold subscription, you can't play any XBox games' on-line multiplayer modes.

With the growth of other console's on-line offerings, and the increasing advertising taking place on the XBox dashboard, XBox Live's subscription service is becoming more and more questionable.

[quote name='Richard Kain']I don't think that an extra feature that requires a $100 peripheral really counts as a selling point for a subscription service. The real draw for subscribing to XBox Live continues to be the ability to play games on-line. Without the gold subscription, you can't play any XBox games' on-line multiplayer modes.

With the growth of other console's on-line offerings, and the increasing advertising taking place on the XBox dashboard, XBox Live's subscription service is becoming more and more questionable.[/QUOTE]

Eh...you don't think it counts? Okay sure. I already had a Kinect and I use the online chat service through this more often than I play online multiplayer since i dont really like playing online. I guess your opinion doesn't apply to everyone. It's not like Sony couldnt get something like this with Skype except they don't. Wait, their camera doesn't have a mic does it? I guess either they can't do it or they simply don't care to match features.

FYI: rumor has it that Sony is going to charge to play online with the PS4.

[quote name='Blaster man']Eh...you don't think it counts? Okay sure. I already had a Kinect and I use the online chat service through this more often than I play online multiplayer since i dont really like playing online. I guess your opinion doesn't apply to everyone. It's not like Sony couldnt get something like this with Skype except they don't. Wait, their camera doesn't have a mic does it? I guess either they can't do it or they simply don't care to match features.

FYI: rumor has it that Sony is going to charge to play online with the PS4.[/QUOTE]

Well, no, it doesn't count because you're describing a service that requires a peripheral. So your situation definitely doesn't apply to everyone. And the PS3 camera does have a built-in mic.

[quote name='theflicker']Well, no, it doesn't count because you're describing a service that requires a peripheral. So your situation definitely doesn't apply to everyone. And the PS3 camera does have a built-in mic.[/QUOTE]

Okay so then why doesn't Sony work something out with Skype? Until they have a service like this, they will never be as good as XBL for me.

Regardless, getting back to the original point, you guys severely underestimate the number of people that would sign up for a subsidized Xbox. I have to wonder how experienced you guys are with the average consumer.

[quote name='Deader2818']You seem to be "fan boying" pretty hard.[/QUOTE]

More like "common sensing". The general public loves subsidized products.

This is one of those things that everyone arguing with me will come out in droves next year saying they knew that the subsidized xbox would be a huge success and will refuse to admit they were arguing the opposite. Oh, it will be SOOOOOOO obvious next year, or so you will say. This year YOU are "fan boying" by arguing against something that's so fucking obvious.

[quote name='Blaster man']More like "common sensing". The general public loves subsidized products.[/QUOTE]

They like subsidizing when the product in question is one that they are planning on buying anyway with a service they intend to use. But no one buys a console so that they can get XBox Live. They buy the console so that they can play XBox games, and then they pay extra to play XBox games on-line. Trying to sell the XBox in a subsidized fashion is like putting the cart before the horse, and a lot of people are beginning to wonder if the cart is necessary in the first place.

And come on. No one is going to purchase an XBox, a Kinect peripheral, and then subscribe to XBox Live just so they can experience video chat with other people who have bought all those same things. There are any number of cheaper solutions available to get the same experience, especially with similar functionality being built into most cel phones and laptops as a standard feature. What you're describing is a pretty extreme fringe case.

The only reason why a subsidized system for purchasing an XBox exists is because of the XBox Live subscription requirements. If that subscription wasn't a requirement for on-line play, as is the case with all other consoles, the subsidized pricing becomes meaningless.

[quote name='Richard Kain']They like subsidizing when the product in question is one that they are planning on buying anyway with a service they intend to use. But no one buys a console so that they can get XBox Live. They buy the console so that they can play XBox games, and then they pay extra to play XBox games on-line. Trying to sell the XBox in a subsidized fashion is like putting the cart before the horse, and a lot of people are beginning to wonder if the cart is necessary in the first place.

And come on. No one is going to purchase an XBox, a Kinect peripheral, and then subscribe to XBox Live just so they can experience video chat with other people who have bought all those same things. There are any number of cheaper solutions available to get the same experience, especially with similar functionality being built into most cel phones and laptops as a standard feature. What you're describing is a pretty extreme fringe case.

The only reason why a subsidized system for purchasing an XBox exists is because of the XBox Live subscription requirements. If that subscription wasn't a requirement for on-line play, as is the case with all other consoles, the subsidized pricing becomes meaningless.[/QUOTE]

Who are these "most people" that question everything? I honestly believe the subsidy will bea knock it out of the park home run success and if I'm wrong I'm more than willing to admit that I was wrong. Are you willing to come here and say you were wrong or are you going to claim it was obvious the whole time and you were just screwing around?

They will have a 200 dollar subsidized console under contact and they will sell MILLIONS like that.

Let's put it this way, drop your arguements why you hate Xbox live. I'm not arguing for those reasons. I don't care what they get for XBL VS other consoles. What you pay for with XBL isn't what will make this sell, it's the subsidized price tag. People are going to see a brand new Xbox 720 next Christmas and that they can pay 200 now and the rest in installments and they will buy it. I'm EXTREMELY confident that this will be very successful.

[quote name='crunchewy']I love my Xbox(es - we have 2) and have Kinect, but I have never used the video chat and don't expect I ever will.[/QUOTE]
Not relevant my previous comment above yours.

So if you want to start a sidebar on that fine. Do you have small children? Do your small children's grandparents live too far away to visit on a regular basis? Is it a pain in the ass to get them around the webcam for a long period of time?

Its like people can't use cell phones anymore or something, lol.

Hey, why not just get a Wii U and do that and not have to pay a service to do so? an xbox, kinect and service will cost about the same as a Wii U, if not more.

[quote name='Deader2818']Its like people can't use cell phones anymore or something, lol.

Hey, why not just get a Wii U and do that and not have to pay a service to do so? an xbox, kinect and service will cost about the same as a Wii U, if not more.[/QUOTE]

1. People here are saying XBL is a tip off and unnecessary. The grandparents say cellphones are a rip off and unnecessary expenses. They didn't have them years ago, they don't need them now
2. How is a telephone conversation the same as a video chat in your living room?

Does the Wii U have video chat? You people think that because you have no need for any other services that no one does. If you don't need it, it's not worth it. You're wrong.

[quote name='Blaster man']People are going to see a brand new Xbox 720 next Christmas and that they can pay 200 now and the rest in installments and they will buy it. I'm EXTREMELY confident that this will be very successful.[/QUOTE]

Now you're just operating on pure speculation. There still haven't been any firm announcements about Microsoft's next system. It hasn't even been revealed to the public yet. The chances that it will launch in 2013 are actually pretty slim. We don't know anything about it.

I have two XBox 360s. And I recently acquired a Kinect as well. But I've never signed up for XBox Live, and do not expect that I ever will. I get my on-line multiplayer fix on my PC, not my 360.

[quote name='Blaster man']1. People here are saying XBL is a tip off and unnecessary. The grandparents say cellphones are a rip off and unnecessary expenses. They didn't have them years ago, they don't need them now
2. How is a telephone conversation the same as a video chat in your living room?

Does the Wii U have video chat? You people think that because you have no need for any other services that no one does. If you don't need it, it's not worth it. You're wrong.[/QUOTE]

If a grandparent doesn't have a cell phone, why the hell would they have an Xbox, a Kinect, and subscription to XBLA?

And yes, Wii U has video chat.

Its not that I don't think no one needs it or not worth it, but you are touting it like its a system seller but its not.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Now you're just operating on pure speculation. There still haven't been any firm announcements about Microsoft's next system. It hasn't even been revealed to the public yet. The chances that it will launch in 2013 are actually pretty slim. We don't know anything about it.

I have two XBox 360s. And I recently acquired a Kinect as well. But I've never signed up for XBox Live, and do not expect that I ever will. I get my on-line multiplayer fix on my PC, not my 360.[/QUOTE]

Of course I'm speculating. No more than you are by claiming chances of a launch next year are "slim" though. My main reason for believing this is because of Arthur Gies from Polygon mentioned it on a Rebel FM podcast. I believe he has a better idea of what's coming than you do or I do.

[quote name='Deader2818']If a grandparent doesn't have a cell phone, why the hell would they have an Xbox, a Kinect, and subscription to XBLA?

And yes, Wii U has video chat.

Its not that I don't think no one needs it or not worth it, but you are touting it like its a system seller but its not.[/QUOTE]

Don't reply to posts when you don't read posts or the comments and have no fucking clue what you're talking about. If you had watched the video your entire post wouldn't have happened. Go back and watch the video. They have a laptop. Can a Wii u do that with video chat?

As to your baseless assertion that I'm touting it like a system seller, if you had actually read my initial post, I said XBL is still better than PSN because of this feature (and others I haven't bothered mentioning since this one is important to me). I in no way said that video chat is a reason to buy an Xbox.

I would like to apologize if my post is rude. I'm tired as shit from getting up at the ass crack of morning + I'm sick.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back