Wii U DOOM Thread: Nintendo is going down and it's taking you with it

moothemagiccow

CAG Newbie
Pikmin 3 looks terrible! Same bad controls as Pikmin 2 Wii! No online multiplayer!

Wonderful 101? Where's Mario Galaxy ONE OH THREE

Virtual Console sucks - where's the DK pie factory?!?? :bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
What was the point of this thread?

While it's true the Wii U isn't doing very well, Nintendo is not at any risk because of it. In a bit of an odd way, a slow start for the Wii U actually works to Nintendo's advantage.

Nintendo's recent financial statement reported a net gain, while in the same quarter last year they had taken a loss. A lot of this had to do with the changing value of the yen, and the direct benefit of this trend to an export-heavy company like Nintendo. It was also due to strong performance by the 3DS. Another tidbit to come out of this statement was that Nintendo is claiming that they are still taking a loss on the Wii U's hardware.

While Nintendo is taking a loss on hardware, it reduces their losses to have soft sales for the Wii U. Having less exuberant promotion for their latest home console reduces their risk. The real danger of going for a slow burn on the Wii U is the reputation they have begun to earn with developers and publishers. It won't affect their first-party studios, but third-parties need a solid install base to defer their risk.

Heh, the idea of this thread was to have a place for the naysayers to kvetch and not bog down every Wii U thread into a potential flame war.

Heh, the idea of this thread was to have a place for the naysayers to kvetch and not bog down every Wii U thread into a potential flame war.
Well, I suppose there is merit in that. I won't complain.

And to play devil's advocate, there is plenty of reason for concern. The Wii U does not have much of a chance at the moment to mimic the break-away success of the original Wii. In that respect it could be touted as an abject failure already. And they do need to start building more of an install base if they ever expect to get third-parties behind the system. The AAA industry is extremely wary when it comes to risk right now. None of the big names want to throw extra development dollars at titles for a system with such a small install base.

The one area where Nintendo could start improving support for the Wii U is the indie crowd and downloadable titles. There are some signs that this is starting to change. But we need to see more. Smaller developers, indie developers, and self-publishing are a huge growth market, and the eShop could benefit significantly from having more of those titles available. Smaller developers are more likely to take a risk on Wii U exclusive development.

Well a ton of Kickstarter games have Wii U development stretch goals, which most have reached, theoretically those will bulk up the eshop library quite a bit if/when they come out.

Cloudberry Kingdom is one of the first in a line of indy games (though it was picked up by Ubisoft for publishing, so maybe not 100% indy) that reached the stretch goal, which came out today.  I actually think Nintendo may have solid indy support in this generation if they keep it up.

These indie titles hitting Wii U should help, but with the Wii U often a stretch goal, most of these titles are hitting the other consoles as well.

Well, I suppose there is merit in that. I won't complain.

And to play devil's advocate, there is plenty of reason for concern. The Wii U does not have much of a chance at the moment to mimic the break-away success of the original Wii. In that respect it could be touted as an abject failure already. And they do need to start building more of an install base if they ever expect to get third-parties behind the system. The AAA industry is extremely wary when it comes to risk right now. None of the big names want to throw extra development dollars at titles for a system with such a small install base.
The original Wii was lightning in a bottle, it would be silly for any company to try and chase that again.

The original Wii was lightning in a bottle, it would be silly for any company to try and chase that again.
Very true. A large part of the Wii's success was due to the circumstances of its release. It was the right product in the right place, at the right time.

While I don't think Nintendo was expecting to replicate the success of the Wii, they definitely have been wanting to trade on its branding. In some ways this may be one of the things holding the Wii U back, where they thought it might help to give it a leg up.

For the time being, Nintendo's handheld business and the shift in the yen should be more than enough to keep them developing games. But the Wii U will need to be addressed at some point.

I find the Wii U naming problem a funny one. I'm sure it's an issue, but I don't think it's a major one. The same thing was said about the 3DS name until, that is, the library improved. Sales improved and no one talks about that anymore. When the PS3 struggled out of the gate there were reports of "I heard this lady in this TRU I was in ask if she could play PS3 games on her PS2." Not really an issue anymore. When Sony brought out their successor to the PSP they gave it a brand new name and look at how swell that's going.

Anyway, my point is that it could be a contributing factor, but it seems to be a completely surmountable hurdle. I think the library is the real problem right now.

Anyway, my point is that it could be a contributing factor, but it seems to be a completely surmountable hurdle. I think the library is the real problem right now.
I don't think the name is the problem, I worry that the branding is the issue. While the Wii had very strong branding initially, despite having a rather strange name, the Wii U is suffering. Why? Both consoles have weird names, but one enjoyed overwhelming success while the other is lagging.

This is where the branding comes in. While the Wii was a success, it wasn't a lasting success. By the end of its cycle, its sales, popularity, and mind-share had tapered off. As a result, its branding wasn't nearly as strong as it originally was. By attaching the Wii U's branding to the Wii's, Nintendo has saddled their new effort to damaged, worn-down branding.

It's not the name itself, so much as it is the impressions associated with the name.

I find the Wii U naming problem a funny one. I'm sure it's an issue, but I don't think it's a major one.
I sold a copy of NSMBU on ebay which I clearly stated was for the WiiU only. The buyer complained that the game didn't work. When I sent him a message saying that it does not work on the original Wii, only on the WiiU, they didn't respond. They sent the game back and I gave them a refund. At least for that person (and me in this case), it's a problem. LOL!

Of course the naming is a problem. It sounds like a hardware revision like DSi, 360S, iPhone 4S, etc. if MS called the X1 the "Xbox 360U", it would be confusing as hell to the general public.

Honestly, I think even the 360 successor name was dumb when I first heard about it.  I guess it means all degrees of freedom, I just take it as spinning around in a circle and ending up exactly where you were before.

Wii U and Xbox One are both equally up for potential confusion on the name alone, only that Microsoft will spend much more advertising dollars to ensure the common folk will know the difference.  My parents were confused on NES and SNES formats all the time (they just called the systems "Nintendo" to keep it simple), but the difference is that they are now part of the target audience with this console generation.

Sony has been the only one so far to keep the home console names bland but consistent, and Sega name-jumped on the diametric opposite spectrum throughout its hardware career.  Were either of these companies more or less successful based on their naming scheme?  The power of the name doesn't really hold much value to its core users, just the base specs and game libraries.

Now to the masses, Richard probably has the best point, the Wii branding has just been worn out.  Most people associate "Wii" with that little, graphically underpowered white box that they grew tired of already (besides Netflix streaming, of course), and the Wii U name doesn't do much to change that.  The original Wii HD name people were kicking around would of been more successful in my opinion, kind of the "Super" counterpart of the current market.

Not that I wanted it to be called that though, just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought the wii was going to be such a huge success. It was the weakest system, it released a year later after a HD monster (360), and right on the heels of sony's hype machine (ps3), but Nintendo was clever in its marketing, everybody remembers the "wii would like to play".

Nintendo showed through its ads that anybody could have fun playing their console as opposed to Sony and Microsoft segregating their audience. To be honest Nintendo could have named the wiiU "the wii****u" and the damn thing could still be a huge seller, it just takes the right marketing for it to be so.

I find the Wii U naming problem a funny one. I'm sure it's an issue, but I don't think it's a major one. The same thing was said about the 3DS name until, that is, the library improved. Sales improved and no one talks about that anymore. When the PS3 struggled out of the gate there were reports of "I heard this lady in this TRU I was in ask if she could play PS3 games on her PS2." Not really an issue anymore. When Sony brought out their successor to the PSP they gave it a brand new name and look at how swell that's going.
To be fair, the PSP didn't do so well out of the gate either. I believe it was stricken with the same problem as the Vita. High buy in cost and memory prices were absurd back then as well. (1GB for $100 anyone?)

I never thought the wii was going to be such a huge success. It was the weakest system, it released a year later after a HD monster (360), and right on the heels of sony's hype machine (ps3), but Nintendo was clever in its marketing, everybody remembers the "wii would like to play".

Nintendo showed through its ads that anybody could have fun playing their console as opposed to Sony and Microsoft segregating their audience. To be honest Nintendo could have named the wiiU "the wii****u" and the damn thing could still be a huge seller, it just takes the right marketing for it to be so.
wii only sold like it did because of the gimmick it was people thinking omg look i can move my arms to play games. The wii never really had a legit 3rd party market and looks like that will be yet another issue on wii u unlike nintendo saying it would have major 3rd party support.

wii only sold like it did because of the gimmick it was people thinking omg look i can move my arms to play games. The wii never really had a legit 3rd party market and looks like that will be yet another issue on wii u unlike nintendo saying it would have major 3rd party support.
That gimmick actually improved the gameplay of a lot of games across all genres in my opinion. It was mostly fitness obsessed out of shape people that bought into all those exercise and rhythm games and to be honest, to those folks, the wii had a very legit third party support.

Nintendo seem to be trying to move away from that image with the wiiU actually but I think they are making a mistake, their console doesn't seem unique like the wii, it doesn't stand out and it offers the same kind of games that the ps4x1 are offering.

I guess its ok for so called "hardcore gamers" if the wiiU gets rid of their wii image. As far as I'm concerned as long as I get my share of oddball games and games with unique gameplay mechanics, I'm happy.

bread's done
Back