Wii U eShop - Toki Tori 2 - $14.99 - Open-World 2D Puzzle Platformer - 9/17: $8.99 until 9/26! Big Update Out Now!

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
373x246_banner-373x246.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0da275MSb24

Toki Tori 2 is a puzzle adventure game in which you explore a lush forest island inhabited by strange creatures. Whistle and stomp to influence their behavior, and solve the puzzles. But what's up with that black goo? It's threatening your home world!

Our unlikely yellow hero may be the star of the show, but he won’t get anywhere without the creatures he meets along the way. You can whistle and stomp to influence them, and use their abilities in your advantage. As you play, the storyline unfolds. Your goal is to get to the core of the corruption and save the island!

Features

• Explore a beautiful, Metroidvania style open world.
  • Follow the path, or stray off-road and tackle the expert puzzles.
  • Play on the Wii U GamePad, or use the second screen for extra info.
  • Use the GamePad as a camera and collect photographs.
  • Toki Tori 2 is huge. We dare you to find all it has to offer!
Toki Tori 2 is released on the Wii U eShop on April 4th 2013 and will be released on Steam later this year.
http://twotribes.com/message/toki-tori-2/

Toki Tori 2+

List of Improvements

• New song which shows you exactly where you are on the world map.
  • In-level warp system to reduce backtracking
  • Additional and remixed puzzles based on Miiverse feedback. Thanks!
  • More graphics and scenes that support the story.
  • World map now automatically tracks where you've been
  • Graphical overhaul of every single level
  • New landmarks and themes (dragon skeletons, windmill park and more!)
  • Expanded soundtrack, now comes with dubstep and happy hardcore disco tracks!
  • Drawings from our Miiverse contest are now inside the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81YhBfhWrEg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Multicron']Silly question - does the launch discount stack with the Deluxe Discount program?[/QUOTE]
Do you mean the Deluxe Digital Program? It doesn't give you discounts at all, as you get points for buying games on the eShop that can accumulate into $5 in eShop money that you can spend on whatever you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnXIWkWyQiI

The stream is done and the upload to Youtube should be done in a bit over two hours from now.

For being about 2.5 hours into the game so far, it's an absolutely fantastic game. Despite not being quite so open world as they suggested, the game seems to mix parts of the original Toki Tori, Super Metroid, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time into this game that makes it the best Wii U game I've played so far. The game features just two moves, chirping and stomping, and it's the superb level design that really fleshes them out into more of a full suite of moves based on how you use them in different situations with different creatures, which is what I'm really liking about it so far. The puzzles are well-crafted to fit that need so it's just a matter of thinking about where you need to go and how your abilities can be used to get there, which results in a few situations where I'm confused as to how I solve a puzzle before I figure it out.

To be a bit more clear about the Super Metroid and Ocarina of Time aspects of the game, the level design is generally done to offer these big levels that you only see one path through at first before you figure out new things that you can do with them to open up new paths through these levels like you expect from something like Super Metroid. I also invoke Super Metroid because the game doesn't hold your hand or tutorialize you on how to do each new thing that you come across, as it's introduced in more of a subtle manner that makes the realization much more rewarding. The Ocarina of Time aspect comes into play with the chirps, as you can do something like seven chirps in a string, so certain patterns cause certain things to happen and that's mainly the reason that I mentioned Ocarina of Time. The other minor influence from Ocarina of Time is that discovery of certain hidden paths causes a little jingle to play that's similar to the "puzzle solved" or "treasure chest opening" jingles in Zelda games.

I definitely urge you guys to check out the video above when it's done to see what I'm talking about because the game has done a great job of pulling me in with the first two hours. If you like what you see, go buy it right away on the eShop while it's on sale until the 19th.

Right now, I'm basically in the part of the game where I know where I need to go, but I'm exploring and figuring out how to get there since I don't have a direct path at the moment.

Bumping this up since the big new update to turn this into Toki Tori 2+ is out now and it's on sale on the eShop for $8.99 until 9/26.

List of Improvements

• New song which shows you exactly where you are on the world map.
  • In-level warp system to reduce backtracking
  • Additional and remixed puzzles based on Miiverse feedback. Thanks!
  • More graphics and scenes that support the story.
  • World map now automatically tracks where you've been
  • Graphical overhaul of every single level
  • New landmarks and themes (dragon skeletons, windmill park and more!)
  • Expanded soundtrack, now comes with dubstep and happy hardcore disco tracks!
  • Drawings from our Miiverse contest are now inside the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81YhBfhWrEg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably going to regret not getting this, if I don't get it today, this is pseudo metroidvania, right?

A puzzle platformer metroid-style game. No combat. Look up a few posts for a big write-up that I wrote around launch along with a video of it in action.

bread's done
Back