Wii U Gamepad-Cradle set Free @ Best Buy YMMV

doc_j88

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
Was in Best Buy today and found the Wii U cradles that are usually $5.99 are absolutely free this week at Best Buy.

I grabbed one for me and my brother because we bought our Wii U's second hand. I personally don't know if the charging cradle is included in a brand new Wii U box.

Not a 100 page thread deal, but you can't beat free

EDIT: Marking this as YMMV. This rung up as free at my BB no problem, but I'm getting reports at other stores an override is needed. YMMV.

If you see the free tag, take it with you to the register when you check out, to make the process easier

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this free with purchase, or with a coupon, or can I just walk in and run out with it?

I guess you could run out lol but I guess it's good to let the cashier ring you out so you don't get tackled lol

I'll upload a picture

The shelf tag says free.

No purchase , coupon , or anything

I wonder if I could run out with a free game as well as I grab a cradle  
obamahmmw.png

PM'd at Target. Let me walk right out, even gave me a Rosalina preorder for my troubles!

But fr I think I remember buying this from Kmart for like $2 what a waste

Was in Best Buy today and found the Wii U cradles that are usually $5.99 are absolutely free this week at Best Buy.

I grabbed one for me and my brother because we bought our Wii U's second hand. I personally don't know if the charging cradle is included in a brand new Wii U box.

Not a 100 page thread deal, but you can't beat free
Does it ring up free on the register? I think I remember something like a price tag that said free ouya's a couple months ago.

A "FREE" tag at a store? Add one more to my retail bucket list...

Thanks, OP!

O I see using it just as a stand.... I never play the thing sitting down at home, I'm on the go or in bed. So I never considered using a stand.

Good for u guys though.

Be warned, this is a semi-long post and I edited it for length...

Went to my store, they had one. I was there to pre-order Dying Light. I showed them the sign...I was in the store for over an hour due to this. I didn't care so much about the stand, I don't own a WiiU after all, I just wanted it for my Vita/phone. The main reason I stayed was the manager (who always has an attitude) was said the following

Manager: OH it's free if you buy Lego Batman 3....
Me: Where does it say this?
Manager: It doesn't but it is a pack in deal

(at this point I know that isn't true but I play along)
Me: Can I get a copy of the game to try it out?
Manager: Sure

(go look for the game, they are totally out of stock)
Me: You do not have any more in stock, but I had another employee just enter the SKU for both the WiiU and Vita versions and neither one made the stand free...
Manager: that's because I will need to override it, it won't happen by itself
Me: Well, I just bought Lego Batman 3 for Vita on Monday. In fact it just arrived in the mail today, I haven't even taken it out of the package.
Manager: No I said it was the console versions, Vita doesn't count. Look
Me: It says Vita/3DS right there....
Manager: Oh....Ok well...ok
Me: So...can we just do a fake return rebuy since I do not want to go home just so you can hold a game for 5 seconds? You can see in my account history I just ordered it.
Manager: Well you paid $8 when it should have been $20
Me: I paid $8 because I have GCU for 20%
Manager: You can't stack both GCU and another promo
Me: Yes you can, I pay for it, it stacks with everything Best Buy does besides COMPETITOR price matches
Manager: Well the game was $20 so that would be $16, you only paid $8
Me: Because for some reason, I do not know why, all the Lego Batman 3 games are $10 less then the sale is advertising. You can check yourself they all ring up at the lower price, even the Vita version rings up at $10 instead of $20.
Manager: Oh........um ok.

She then does a simple override to make it free.

Again I just detested the fact that she kept making BS excuses as to why it was not free and every time I countered her asinine reason she came up with another one until she finally gave up because I had a proper answer for everything.

She was never rude to me nor was I rude to her, but it took way too long to get a $6 item for free.

The plus side was the normal CS rep was extremely attractive and we just chatted while we waited for the manager to make up more excuses.

I went yesterday and it wasn't free, but it did ring up for $3. Don't have one for my basic model Wii U so still grabbed it. Whatever.

Went to my store, they had one. I was there to pre-order Dying Light. I showed them the sign...I was in the store for over an hour due to this. I didn't care so much about the stand, I don't own a WiiU after all, I just wanted it for my Vita/phone. The main reason I stayed was the manager (who always has an attitude) was said the following

Me: You do not have any more in stock, but I had another employee just enter the SKU for both the WiiU and Vita versions and neither one made the stand free...
Me: Well, I just bought Lego Batman 3 for Vita on Monday. In fact it just arrived in the mail today, I haven't even taken it out of the package.
Me: So...can we just do a fake return rebuy since I do not want to go home just so you can hold a game for 5 seconds? You can see in my account history I just ordered it.
Me: Yes you can, I pay for it, it stacks with everything Best Buy does besides COMPETITOR price matches
Me: Because for some reason, I do not know why, all the Lego Batman 3 games are $10 less then the sale is advertising. You can check yourself they all ring up at the lower price, even the Vita version rings up at $10 instead of $20.

Again I just detested the fact that she kept making BS excuses as to why it was not free and every time I countered her asinine reason she came up with another one until she finally gave up because I had a proper answer for everything.

She was never rude to me nor was I rude to her, but it took way too long to get a $6 item for free.

The plus side was the normal CS rep was extremely attractive and we just chatted while we waited for the manager to make up more excuses.
Where are you that people BS like that? At my store they would just say, "oh, the tag says free? Sure, we'll honor that." I hope I never get banned at best buy.

Me: Well, I just bought Lego Batman 3 for Vita on Monday. In fact it just arrived in the mail today, I haven't even taken it out of the package.

Lol wow, sounds like my local Toys R Us, luckily my best buy isn't like that...

You said that she said the bundle deal was not written anywhere, but then you later point her to something that says Vita/3DS like there was documentation of the bundle deal. What is this mysterious documentation you point her to, or am I missing something?

op should be tagged with YMMV. I was hoping it was free online =P maybe i'll pop into my store this weekend and see if its there. Might be nice for my vita as some people are saying

Where are you that people BS like that? At my store they would just say, "oh, the tag says free? Sure, we'll honor that." I hope I never get banned at best buy.
Lol wow, sounds like my local Toys R Us, luckily my best buy isn't like that...
I live in a semi-small town about 45 minutes south of Gainesville Florida (or about an hour and a half north of Orlando). This is pretty common for my store to be honest. They try to make up any reason to not do what they are supposed to do, usually in the end I get it done because I, along with most CAGs, are familiar with the terms and conditions with all the retailers I shop at. Being an informed consumer these days at my Best Buy is borderline criminal.

You said that she said the bundle deal was not written anywhere, but then you later point her to something that says Vita/3DS like there was documentation of the bundle deal. What is this mysterious documentation you point her to, or am I missing something?
I said I removed some stuff to make it shorter, so I can see why you are confused. In the computer she kept point to the "Save $10 on Lego Batman 3" which had NOTHING to do with this cradle...She just decided to magically make it part of it because "hey why not" OR "I bet this guy has no interest in this game so it will be easy to get him to drop it". Meanwhile she had no clue that I had already bought it 2 days prior, thus shutting down her pathetic attempts at not doing her job properly.

If she had simply said to me "I apologize sir, but this tag was put out in error and this item isn't really free, I am sorry for the confusion" I probably would have pressed a little and then just dropped it. But instead she decided to make nonsense reasons because she is a manager and has "power" (I've had issues with her in the past). The kicked that I forgot to mention was when she came out of the employee/back area of CS/Geek Squad, she was chewing gum with her mouth open and even blowing bubbles.

It had the same "FREE!" sign at my Best Buy.  Rang up as $5.99.  Took the cashier to the shelf to show them the sign.  They tried to price override, but I guess the system doesn't like them price-overriding something to free. :p  Called a manager over.  He price overrided, and then said something about going to the aisle to take down that "FREE!" sign...

Why put up a "Free" sign if it wasn't supposed to be free?

Side story, a few years ago I went tv shopping and found what I thought was an amazing deal on a tv. A $1799 (I didn't know it was $1799 until later) tv was marked at $799. I didn't know it wasn't supposed to be $799 and it was a sony tv so there was some promotion where it came with a free PS3. Guy rang up the PS3 and the tv and it came out to $1799 plus tax (ps3 was still free). I told them the tag said $799. They called the store manager over and he immediately apologized and gave me the tv and PS3 at the listed price then took the tag down.
The best buy was in an affluent area, so I'm wondering if that makes a difference.

This is best buy, not a press on nail mall kiosk. Thats horribly unprofessional for a manager
Basically this. It is one thing to do it as a customer, or maybe even a new employee. but when you are a manager you are supposed to set an example for how other employees should act. Plus, since you are a manager you reflect the store in your attitude. This just showed me how much she did not care about her job, fellow employees, or customers.

None of the stores near me have it. Oh well. If there's another Kongregate $5 GameStop coupon in the future, I'll pick one up there.

Why put up a "Free" sign if it wasn't supposed to be free?

Side story, a few years ago I went tv shopping and found what I thought was an amazing deal on a tv. A $1799 (I didn't know it was $1799 until later) tv was marked at $799. I didn't know it wasn't supposed to be $799 and it was a sony tv so there was some promotion where it came with a free PS3. Guy rang up the PS3 and the tv and it came out to $1799 plus tax (ps3 was still free). I told them the tag said $799. They called the store manager over and he immediately apologized and gave me the tv and PS3 at the listed price then took the tag down.
The best buy was in an affluent area, so I'm wondering if that makes a difference.
My question is why does Best Buy even print a free! sign. Seems counterintuitive for a retailer to have a contingency to give stuff away for free when it would actually be cheaper ot throw them away.

Not going to take my chances. The Best Buy customer service rep at my store was a giant dick when I tried to get the free Nintendo Points on Black Friday despite the tag saying free. 

I know that those of you saying you're using this for your inferior Playstation Vita or some other gadget, are putting down the Wii U, but, it truly is an awesome system, with the best reviewed games.  In fact, the games on the Wii U have better reviews than either PS4 or XBox One games.  I am truly enjoying my Wii U, and have more games for it, that I play on a consistent basis, than any other system.  So, make fum of it all you want, I am a proud owner of the Nintendo Wii U!

I know that those of you saying you're using this for your inferior Playstation Vita or some other gadget, are putting down the Wii U, but, it truly is an awesome system, with the best reviewed games. In fact, the games on the Wii U have better reviews than either PS4 or XBox One games. I am truly enjoying my Wii U, and have more games for it, that I play on a consistent basis, than any other system. So, make fum of it all you want, I am a proud owner of the Nintendo Wii U!
how are people saying they want to use it for their vita or phone putting down the wii-u? Its shaped perfectly for that. I dont think anyone said the Wii-U sucks.

Aw hell, now you make me want to say it... Wii-u sucks and only babbies and nintendo fanboys, which are all babbies as well, like it!

I dont know if I am the only one but....

My BB is really cool and if I had a higher resolution picture of the tag I would give it a shot (for a PM). So...if any actually sees this tag, it would be much appreciated.

I know that those of you saying you're using this for your inferior Playstation Vita or some other gadget, are putting down the Wii U, but, it truly is an awesome system, with the best reviewed games. In fact, the games on the Wii U have better reviews than either PS4 or XBox One games. I am truly enjoying my Wii U, and have more games for it, that I play on a consistent basis, than any other system. So, make fum of it all you want, I am a proud owner of the Nintendo Wii U!
I think you may have some sort of complex... I dont think anyone was putting down the wii u, but rather pointing out the multiple uses for this.

how are people saying they want to use it for their vita or phone putting down the wii-u? Its shaped perfectly for that. I dont think anyone said the Wii-U sucks.

Aw hell, now you make me want to say it... Wii-u sucks and only babbies and nintendo fanboys, which are all babbies as well, like it!
Whatever.

It is possible to praise the Wii U for the fun games and awesome, awesome, awesome Off-TV play without needing to try to bring down the XB1 and PS4.  It's not an either/or situation. :p

On-topic:

It had the "FREE!" sign on the shelf at my BestBuy, too.  If you're in the area, drop in to see if your Best Buy has the same.  No need to price match, then. :)

bread's done
Back