Wii U - General Discussion Thread

So is the Game Cube Controller adapter for allowing the GC Controller just on Smash Brothers or ALL Wii U games? That hasn't been overly clear to me, though I might have missed it.

Saw this news posted over the weekend:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/05/31/wii-u-outsells-playstation-4-in-japan.aspx

That's pretty cool. Seeing them outsell the PS4 gives me hope for a good E3 Nintendo showing.

I also read this article today with UK sales:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mario-kart-8-helps-wii-u-hardware-sales-climb-666-percent-in-the-uk/1100-6420019/

Is the US next?
I think Japan is just an anamoly. They're a finicky bunch over there. Sony has clearly taken aim at the US market with the PS4 and so far it's working. I think the One will catch up eventually but I don't think they have to worry about Nintendo nipping at their heels over here. Without the casual market this time out, the WiiU is just another 'tweener console between generations. Better than last gen but not quite up to par with the competition. The CoD's, Madden's, Halo's, & GTA's of the world drive console sales and the WiiU will forever lag behind on those types of games.

Ok is it just me, I have tried every control method for mario kart 8 and by far the best is the pro controller. I am playing through single player and was able to do significantly better with the pro controller than any other option. The joysticks on the other controllers are just completely unresponsive in this game , it's a night and day difference. I have the classic controller and the classic controller pro, and the Wii remote and the joysticks on them all just seem so unresponsive in this game compared to the pro controller. There must be a huge difference in the way these joysticks respond in this game and how they are built. The ccp was not too bad but I was still understeering or over steering horribly with it, and the nunchuck was the least responsive of them all and was nearly unplayable. Same with the wheel, pretty useless after trying the pro controller.

I've used the gamepad, pro controller and wiimote/nunchuck all in the last couple days.  I noticed no difference in any of them.

The gamepad is the same as the pro controller since it uses identical joysticks I believe. So either option would be the most desirable. The remote plus nunchuck was the worst one due to the sloppy stick on the nunchuck. The classic controller pro was pretty good but didn't feel the same as the pro controller. Perhaps some people are just more sensitive to the nuances of different controllers than others.

The wheel is mostly useless, unless you are playing local with each player using the wheel. . Glad I didn't opt for one of the free wheel offers with my copy (already have some wheels).

I tried the classic controller pro last night and liked a lot. I don't have a Wii U Pro controller so can't compare, but I thought the CCP worked great with this game and it's pretty comfortable too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the Wiimote and nunchuck since another CAG mentioned it as a relaxed alternative and was pleasantly impressed. The stick to me was very responsive and the setup was very comfortable to hold with my hands loosely at my sides. Only small gripe I had was the back camera option is mapped to the c button on the nunchuck which can be a little uncomfortable to access while simultaneously holding the Z button for items. Still going with the Pro controller because of the battery life and traditional feel but the Wiimite plus nunchuck is a great alternative in my opinion.

was the wii u mario kart bundle a one time deal? i want to pick one up and trade my 3ds and games for one and zero gamestop's in my area have the bundle heck not many even have a wii u bundle in stock. Starting to think either nintendo is going to announcing new major wii u bundles this week or some form of price drop with a new bundle.

was the wii u mario kart bundle a one time deal? i want to pick one up and trade my 3ds and games for one and zero gamestop's in my area have the bundle heck not many even have a wii u bundle in stock. Starting to think either nintendo is going to announcing new major wii u bundles this week or some form of price drop with a new bundle.
Looks like it's still around:

http://tinyurl.com/p5ycnqm

Same here, with the mario kart bundle that is, doesn't seem like anyone got them in, GS has been out of stock and I haven't seen them in stores.

Either this bundle was super popular or no store even got them in.

I tried the classic controller pro last night and liked a lot. I don't have a Wii U Pro controller so can't compare, but I thought the CCP worked great with this game and it's pretty comfortable too.
The classic controller pro feels a lot like the Wii U Pro controller, but the Wii U Pro has more weight to it and doesn't feel as cheap as a result. Don't get me wrong, the CCP is sturdy is a nice controller, but the Pro is just nicer. Also, battery life on the Pro is so good that the idea of tethering a CCP to a Wiimote using AA batteries is, by comparison, ridiculous.

[quote name="johnnypark" post="11824681" timestamp="1402266376"]The classic controller pro feels a lot like the Wii U Pro controller, but the Wii U Pro has more weight to it and doesn't feel as cheap as a result. Don't get me wrong, the CCP is sturdy is a nice controller, but the Pro is just nicer. Also, battery life on the Pro is so good that the idea of tethering a CCP to a Wiimote using AA batteries is, by comparison, ridiculous.[/quote]

I use eneloop rechargeables and greatly prefer that to a proprietary battery pack. They last forever and I always have a charged set to swap in so there's never any significant down time.

Eneloops are great and I have many but I don't think we have to worry about Nintendo installed lithium batteries. I have a GBASP and and original DS and both work fine. I haven't charged my pro controller since it's initial charge when I got it for Xmas and it only has one bar of battery gone. I am sure these pro controllers will last at least 10 years on the original battery. Also the battery did not flat out die, unlike my PS3 controller which depleats itself in a month if left unused. I can leave my GBA SP unused for a year and it will still turn on and have some charge left.

It is my experience that Nintendo puts very high quality lithium batteries in their products.

^ Completely agree with the above posts. My GBA SP & Gameboy Micro were left alone for three years & all turned on & played for awhile before needing a charge. :)

But anyway, I see a lot of people are preferring the pro controller to the CPC. I will need to try my CPC today. I like the gamepad, but I find it harder to make tight turns. I enjoy my wheel & wii mote more, but the drift button is killing my index finger...I need something that's more comfortable & allows me to make the same turns.

I use eneloop rechargeables and greatly prefer that to a proprietary battery pack. They last forever and I always have a charged set to swap in so there's never any significant down time.
Eneloops have their place, but in place of the Pro Controller? No fucking way. The controller feels great and it has an estimated 80 hour battery life. I think I've charged it once since launch. This is one area where Sony & MS could learn something.

Yeah, the pro controller is awesome, we all agree on that. I am sure that in 2-3 years when everybody has a dead ps4 controller or play & charge from MS our pro controllers will be going strong. Nintendo really knocked it out of the park with battery life on this one. It also looks like you can change the battery yourself if you need to.

80 hours is enough to finish 2 full games at 40 hours each!

Eneloops last forever for me in the 360 controller at least but wii remotes have the problem where they deplete the batteries when not in use no matter what kind of batteries you put in, even properly charged eneloops that normally don't deplete on their own. The balance board also has this problem. Leave alkalines in these devices and they will drain down so far they will leak then your balance board or wii remote is dead. Eneloops are a must for these controllers.

Its amazing that for as good as the they made the pro controller's battery, Nintendo really dropped the ball with the gamepad's battery. I know that they are different controllers and different ball games, but still they could've made that controller better.

The battery life and the range of operation are my biggest gripes with the Gamepad.  I actually love the Gamepad for what it does.  Super comfortable and the screen is just right for displaying retail Wii U games while at the same time making old school retro titles look even better than on the HDTV.  I use it everywhere around the house from couch play in the living room or streaming videos in the kitchen.  I use a kickstand/battery life extender accessory to help extend battery life, but it is a pain in the ass when I see that damn blinking red light or the losing connection message pop up on screen. 

One thing that really puzzles me is why the Gamepad requires a specific cable to charge.  Why on earth they didn't use the same charger as the 3DS or even the nice long micro usb cable that the Pro controller uses?  Might eventually buckle down and buy one of these http://www.amazon.com/Charge-Link-Wii-U-Nintendo/dp/B009S2XL9I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top to use with my cell phone charger when I'm using the Gamepad away from the charging dock. 

Here are the games from Capcom on the release schedule for the Wii U Virtual Console for the rest of 2014:

• Breath of Fire
  • Demon's Crest
  • Gargoyle's Quest II
  • Mega Man 5
  • Mega Man 6
  • Mega Man 7
  • Mega Man X3
  • Mega Man Zero
  • Mega Man Battle Network
  • Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge
  • Mighty Final Fight
  • Street Fighter 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first time Mega Mans 6, 7, and X3 have been available digitally. IIRC, only 1-5, X, and X2 made it to the Wii VC.

Its amazing that for as good as the they made the pro controller's battery, Nintendo really dropped the ball with the gamepad's battery. I know that they are different controllers and different ball games, but still they could've made that controller better.
I think a big part of the problem is that they put in a smaller battery to save money. The one on top is the "extended battery" that they sell separately and the one on the bottom is the standard battery.

battery.jpg

If there's one thing about Nintendo that I realized watching other presentations today, it's that they aren't ashamed to make video games. For that I will always appreciate them as a company. I also appreciate that they are resisting making mobile games.

[quote name="KillerRamen" post="11828269" timestamp="1402358452"]I think a big part of the problem is that they put in a smaller battery to save money. The one on top is the "extended battery" that they sell separately and the one on the bottom is the standard battery.

battery.jpg
[/quote]

Battery life is a very important feature to me, a product doesn't work if the battery is bad.

I am surprised Nintendo is so bad with batteries these days especially since they created the pro controller with awesome battery life. the 3DS has awful battery life as well. I am not sure if the Gamepad is such an issue, I think they figure that people are playing it at home so they will be near an outlet so they can just plug it in. But it's clear they cut corners on the battery on purpose for the sole reason of selling us the bigger, proper battery at a later date so they can get our money again. With a portable system there is no excuse though.... It needs to run for 5 hours solid at least before it starts displaying warnings about battery....with actual use battery life, not with wifi off.. Lowest brightness etc..

The original 3ds is kind of bad but I have no problem with my 3DS XL. There were some times last year I'd play the thing hours on end for Animal Crossing and I barely ran into any issues.  The Gamepad on the other hand could use a few more hours of battery life in my opinion. 

If there's one thing about Nintendo that I realized watching other presentations today, it's that they aren't ashamed to make video games. For that I will always appreciate them as a company. I also appreciate that they are resisting making mobile games.
Agreed. I don't care about a CD/DVD/Blu Ray attachment. I want games and that's what Nintendo delivers on.

Microsoft and Sony had some damn good shows today. I'll be so happy if Nintendo 1ups them tomorrow.

Honestly I think it wont be that hard for Nintendo to 1-up them, for me at least. I mean most of both their presentations were games that I already knew were coming and are sequels or did not look wildly different than the norm.

Not that they were bad or anything, but I am tired of brown shooter 7,000,000, lol.

Here is hoping we see something new.

What does this even mean? :lol: Both conferences were all about games. Sony had a YouTube twitch moment but if you hadn't noticed YT is a pretty big feature in Mario Kart. Sony also had Morpheus and PStv which aren't games per se but new ways to experience games. Both showed an insane amount of games Nintendo could only hope to match on the WiiU.

Honestly I think it wont be that hard for Nintendo to 1-up them, for me at least. I mean most of both their presentations were games that I already knew were coming and are sequels or did not look wildly different than the norm.

Not that they were bad or anything, but I am tired of brown shooter 7,000,000, lol.

Here is hoping we see something new.
Wait... what? MS & Sony's conferences showed more new IPs than in recent years that I can remember and you're rooting for the company that in the last year has pumped out Mario Kart 8, two Smash Bros games, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong County TF, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Yoshi's Island 2, Mario Golf, Kirby, etc. along with NSMB&L and 2 Zelda games in the works (coupled with Wind Waker)... need I go on. Sorry, but that's the funniest thing I've read on the internet the past few days. Nintendo hasn't been a source for new IPs in at least a decade if not longer. Pikmin is the newest IP on that list and that came out on the Gamecube in 2001, nearly 15 years ago.

Yeah, I love Nintendo and haven't missed a launch since the NES but you're delusional if you think the Mario & Zelda factory is going to bring you something new let alone a suite of new games we haven't seen/played before.

With the WiiU failing that's not going to change anytime soon either. They'll double down on the Mario & Zelda's before they bring us new games.

Wait... what? MS & Sony's conferences showed more new IPs than in recent years that I can remember and you're rooting for the company that in the last year has pumped out Mario Kart 8, two Smash Bros games, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong County TF, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Yoshi's Island 2, Mario Golf, Kirby, etc. along with NSMB&L and 2 Zelda games in the works (coupled with Wind Waker)... need I go on. Sorry, but that's the funniest thing I've read on the internet the past few days. Nintendo hasn't been a source for new IPs in at least a decade if not longer. Pikmin is the newest IP on that list and that came out on the Gamecube in 2001, nearly 15 years ago.
Imo the differences between between COD 48, Halo HD remaster rehash from 10+ years ago, MK X, YouTube on the PS are very black and white compared to what Nintendo is doing.
They rehash just as the other two companies, but the huge difference is it is never the same experience. The core elements will always be there, you'll see new characters but also old ones, yet you won't feel like this is nothing but a game with updated looks, & the same story.
I could pick up any COD/Mortal Kombat 1 player campaign & not care about the story because there is none. It's just the same old violence & gore. Nothing more. I could play Halo multiplayer on all Halo's & feel like barely anything was changed. Pop in a zelda, & I may turn into a wolf, sail around the world on a boat, fly through the sky on a bird, and have a wholly different world to explore. Put in MK, & instead of the same old roads I can drive on the walls and post videos I edit to YouTube if I want or ignore the feature all together because it's simply just an add on. It's not completelty in my face about making me share my game.

Simply put, Nintendo is not afraid to wait 4+ years actually working on new worlds & new storylines for their rehashes. They may pump out games consistently, but you can always bet it will not be "shoot up everyone & get to the checkpoint". It will be something different even if it's familiar.
They make games, not new maps & better graphic upgrades.
(Not saying they never do anything wrong, they're certainly not perfect, but at least they haven't really strayed from what video game consoles are meant to be for).

Can't wait. :)

Been watching most of e3 via the Wii U gamepad. Works great and is nice to have a mobile stream around the house.

They rehash just as the other two companies, but the huge difference is it is never the same experience. The core elements will always be there, you'll see new characters but also old ones, yet you won't feel like this is nothing but a game with updated looks, & the same story.
So Mario rescuing Peach and Link rescuing Zelda is a new story? Come on man. These are not new experiences no matter how much you rationalize it. Outside of Activision whoring out CoD, Guitar Hero and before those, Tony Hawk, Nintendo is the worst offender in the industry. Yes their games are a blast but they are hardly new experiences every time out. Playing as a wolf or wearing a cat suit are not new experiences, they are new mechanics inside the same old experience. A better analogy to being a wolf or wearing a cat suit is new weapons or armor sets in CoD or jetpacks Halo. I've said it before but want to give me a new Zelda experience? Make Zelda the protagonist. That would be a new experience. As it stands the Mario & Zelda games are no different that CoD or Halo. The only difference is the timeframe in which they are released.

Look, I get it, people love Mario, Zelda & Metroid... I do too. I bought the Zelda 3DS just to play ALBW (which was the freshest Zelda since Ocarina, and one of the best games of last year, IMO), but to criticize MS for Halo but praise Nintendo for the same exact practices is absurd. Mario is a bigger whore than all of them.

They make games, not new maps & better graphic upgrades.
:lol: You just described every Mario Kart and every Mario game (Galaxy aside) in existence. Mario Kart 8 is Mario Kart 64 with wall driving. Other than that it's simply better visuals and new maps. Super Mario 3D World? A 3D-ish version of NSMB.

They had a strong showing but it was over before it even really started. This years E3 should have been called 2015 come see what we have to offer next year.

rsfqks.gif

With Wii U in the toilet, they missed an opportunity by not showing Metroid or Star Fox. Are these titles even in development? They could save this failing console.

Oh wait, blurry Star Fox is on Miyamoto's screen. Could that be a new game?

bread's done
Back