Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Waiting to see what Sony fires with at e3, and if it all seems good, then depending on what they price it at.... but I'll probably be springing for a Wii-U very soon if Sony doesn't completely wow me. I've pretty much already counted Microsoft out. The Wii U seems like it has everything I want, backwards compatibility, and no bullshit... and ability to use external hard drives....and Mario and Zelda of course. Whats the big difference between basic Wii U and the deluxe one? just the hard drive size right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully by this time next week we are all very giddy for the future of Wii-U
I hope you temper those expectations at least a bit. I expect them to say 'everything announced so far? Here it is, and all of it comes out between now and next June worldwide.'
I'm hoping that Mario kart feels like a new entry and not a rehash of MK7. I hope that the new 3D Mario makes me excited. And I hope that Retro shows off their new game and it blows my mind.
I don't think many will be satisfied with them by just showing it off.

And we get a Smash Bros. trailer.

Already, my expectations have been exceeded.

It's pretty odd that it looks like Nintendo may end up having the most progressive 8th gen console with the Wii U. Hopefully Sony doesn't pull a Microsoft because I'd still like to get a PS4. If they do, then it looks like I'll be a one console household for the first time since the SNES.

Waiting to see what Sony fires with at e3, and if it all seems good, then depending on what they price it at.... but I'll probably be springing for a Wii-U very soon if Sony doesn't completely wow me. I've pretty much already counted Microsoft out. The Wii U seems like it has everything I want, backwards compatibility, and no bullshit... and ability to use external hard drives....and Mario and Zelda of course. Whats the big difference between basic Wii U and the deluxe one? just the hard drive size right?
Yeah. The Deluxe Model also comes with the charging cradle, the console stand, Nintendo Land and has a rewards program for online games purchased.

The cradle is really quite nice to have, but you can pick it up at Target for $5-6 if you can find it on clearance.

It's pretty odd that it looks like Nintendo may end up having the most progressive 8th gen console with the Wii U. Hopefully Sony doesn't pull a Microsoft because I'd still like to get a PS4. If they do, then it looks like I'll be a one console household for the first time since the SNES.

Yeah. The Deluxe Model also comes with the charging cradle, the console stand, Nintendo Land and has a rewards program for online games purchased.

The cradle is really quite nice to have, but you can pick it up at Target for $5-6 if you can find it on clearance.
Assuming PS4 doesn't require an internet connection, if it had an anti-used games policy like Microsoft (even if it were up to publishers), I imagine it would be worse than Microsoft because there'd be no real way to control it.

And yeah, the charging cradle is nice. The gamepad stand however, is completely pointless.

I never liked smash bros. Always too much going on on the screen. Also I dont get why Link et al are in Smash Bros but not Mario Kart.

I never liked smash bros. Always too much going on on the screen. Also I dont get why Link et al are in Smash Bros but not Mario Kart.
Because Mario Kart is just Mario characters?

DK was totally in Mario games before you say it!
I think Nintendo needs a more casual friendly version of Smash Bros. I.E. a game to get people who love Mario/Zelda/Pokemon to recognize and get interested in other Nintendo franchises. If Mario Kart can do that, so be it.

Yeah, buy why is it just mario characters? It's not like there's a licensing issue. They could really expand the appeal by introducing non mario characters and tracks, and if one series is getting repetitive, it's mario kart.

Yeah, buy why is it just mario characters? It's not like there's a licensing issue. They could really expand the appeal by introducing non mario characters and tracks, and if one series is getting repetitive, it's mario kart.
I agree, Mario Kart needs to innovate. Especially after Mario Kart 7, which lacked so much content compared to previous entries.

And...I guess you could say I'm back on the hype train.

• Each store will use one existing Wii U demo station featuring four unreleased titles. Wait and gameplay times may vary according to store location. Best Buy and Nintendo will provide activities for consumers in line.
  • Game titles will be announced in the morning on Tuesday, June 11. Check back on Tuesday morning for the final list and to confirm the store closest to you.
  • Store exclusions are subject to change without notice. Luigi loot available while supplies last. Please visit a participating Best Buy store for complete details.
Source: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Games-Promotions/Nintendo+Experience/pcmcat303600050002.c?id=pcmcat303600050002
Best Buy updated the Nintendo Experience page with new information.

So I was listening to Gamertag radio today, they said they were hearing there would be 5 unannounced titles at the Nintendo direct. I don't know if this includes stuff like Mario Kart & 3D Mario that we know will be there but aren't officially announced but still should be one or two nice surprises.

Also:

1000071_468582766559515_2023311810_n.jpg

• Each store will use one existing Wii U demo station featuring four unreleased titles. Wait and gameplay times may vary according to store location. Best Buy and Nintendo will provide activities for consumers in line.
  • Game titles will be announced in the morning on Tuesday, June 11. Check back on Tuesday morning for the final list and to confirm the store closest to you.
  • Store exclusions are subject to change without notice. Luigi loot available while supplies last. Please visit a participating Best Buy store for complete details.
Source: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Games-Promotions/Nintendo+Experience/pcmcat303600050002.c?id=pcmcat303600050002
Dang, I was hoping they would add another store in Illinois closer to my house and instead they took out one of the Illinois stores.

Dang, I was hoping they would add another store in Illinois closer to my house and instead they took out one of the Illinois stores.
If it makes you feel better, they took a few stores in California away. There was one in Culver City, not too far from E3, and now there isn't. Bummer. Guess I'll forget about trying to make it out.

And they took the only one in Oregon away.  The rat bastards.  I was all set to head up there Wednesday afternoon with my son after he got out of school.

Wow, really?  I played Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 at PAX last August.  I already beat Wind Waker, and have little interest in NSLU (I haven't even beaten the regular game yet).

I thought for sure they'd have the new 3D Mario there.  This is not a good sign for that game coming this Fall.

Now my only regret is telling my son we'd go there - but if they really removed the one location within 200 miles of me there's not much I can do about it anyway.  So, yeah, in that sense I'm glad they took out my location!

Well the general public hasn't really played Pikmin and I think it's great that Wonderful 101 is getting a showcase.

Yeah, except that both were supposed to be out months ago, not just now getting demos to a select group of people ;).  So, yeah, for me that is a list full of fail.  Actually, NSLU makes the most sense of the 4.

If they don't put the Wonderful 101 demo on the eShop building up to the release of it, Nintendo is very, VERY dumb.

I am hoping they show the new 3D Mario Game, Fire Emblem X SMT and whatever Retro is doing.

That's all I care about. I am buying Smash Bros at launch, I will buy Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 no question pretty much.

Talk about a disappointing show. They basically just announced that if you liked Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, and Donkey Kong Country Returns, they've got a newer, prettier version coming for Wii U. There's a lot of stuff coming out in the fall, but the most promising thing is The Wonderful 101 since it's something new.

Yeah. It's not what I expected, but I'll still buy a lot of them because I'm a sucker for Nintendo.

Seeing as how I haven't played the 3DS versions yet (and now I won't really have to), I guess that's nice.

Talk about a disappointing show. They basically just announced that if you liked Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, and Donkey Kong Country Returns, they've got a newer, prettier version coming for Wii U. There's a lot of stuff coming out in the fall, but the most promising thing is The Wonderful 101 since it's something new.
I think that's my biggest gripe with the show. It was all if you liked our previous games, here it is in HD. Wonderful 101 looks interesting but it reminds me of Pikmin.

I'm pretty disappointed with the 3D Mario reveal. I was so hoping it was 64/Sunshine style, and now it's not even really Galaxy-style. Mario Kart 8 looks like a lot of fun.

I think Mario (it would be awesome if it had on-line MP but I seriously doubt it) looks great but yeah it was somewhat disappointing in terms of really new stuff. And where's Retro's game dammit?

Really? I missed that it was retro with how much the feed stuttered. That is really disappointing. Oh well 2014 looks awesome.

Man, Nintendo is really trying to pull me back in with the Smash Bros and even Mario Kart looks pretty great to me.  I'm still gonna wait for a price drop but odds are I'll own a Wii U in 2014.

Also really gonna start looking for a good deal on the 3DS, maybe I'll find one out in the wild at Sears.

So, early projections on the Smash Bros. lineup?

Confirmed:
- Mario
- Link
- Pikachu
- Kirby
- Bowser
- Villager
- Mega Man
- WiiFit Trainer
- Fox
- Samus
- Donkey Kong
- Pit

Based on previous lineups, these are a pretty good bet to return:

- Luigi
- Yoshi
- Jigglypuff
- Ness
- Captain Falcon
- Zelda/Shiek
- Gannondorf
- Marth
- Wario
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Toon Link
- Princess Peach
- Diddy Kong
- King Dedede
- Captain Olimar
- Ice Climbers
- MetaKnight

I wonder if Jigglypuff would get some new specials to show off her new Fairy-type moves. I also believe there will be another Pokemon series character, whether it be an actual Pokemon (maybe Mewtwo with the ability to change into its new Forme?) or the return of Pokemon Trainer. Either way, it will be advertising X & Y.

I also expect somebody from Fire Emblem Awakening to replace Ike.

I really hope R.O.B. returns.

Zero Suit Samus will probably return for sex appeal alone.

Good news: We get Call of Duty Dog!

Call of Duty: Ghosts  

News & VideosGalleries

Activision confirms Call of Duty: Ghosts for Wii U
They 'wanted to keep it mysterious' - Um, what?
authorpoint.gif
60 minutes ago - 7:00 AM on 06.12.2013

2 2 0 0 Share2
When Activision didn't budge after being asked whether or not Call of Duty: Ghosts was going to be on the Wii U, people assumed the obvious -- it wasn't going to be. But during GameSpot's E3 live stream, all was revealed -- yes, there is a version for the Wii U, but it is "mysterious."

Um, yeah. Rather than just actually announce the game weeks ago and drum up hype, Activision wanted it to remain a mystery, for some unknown reason -- Call of Duty: Scooby Doo Edition confirmed? Producer Mark Rubin clarified the issue, saying, “That’s probably in the next-gen bin, but we’re not actually talking about Wii U yet. ‘Cause we want to keep it mysterious.” Let's keep it simple here Activision -- the next Call of Duty game is not actually a ghost, and probably isn't the most intriguing mystery in the world.

Regardless, after a number of third party Wii U release dropped completely from the radar, it's nice to hear that there's one major release on the way for those who want it.

E3 Live [GameSpot via Nintendo Everything]

There was a post over at Neogaf on the 10th saying that Villager, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Little Mac and Wii Fit Trainer were going to be in Smash Bros.  Considering they got Wii Fit Trainer, a character no one expected, I'd say he knows something.

Does anybody (a Best Buy employee?) know what the "Luigi Loot" is today at Best Buy?  Does it look super limited?

I plan on going...but I don't think I can go earlier than the start time (4:00).  I don't care much about the demos; I just really want the free goods.

Figures.  At 4pm we're supposed to be getting hit with that mega storm or whatever they're calling it, so I'm not taking the kids out in that...

Does anybody (a Best Buy employee?) know what the "Luigi Loot" is today at Best Buy? Does it look super limited?

I plan on going...but I don't think I can go earlier than the start time (4:00). I don't care much about the demos; I just really want the free goods.
According to my E3 BB, they're having people sign up on a list and then call you over for your block of time with the demo/s. I'm assuming the list is FCFS and they'll give the swag bag out when you get to the demo station. I'd go and sign up as early as you can if you want the swag.

bread's done
Back