Wii U - General Discussion Thread

I don't remember anything sounding like that on mine.

While you have it out though, I really think you should plug it in and update the thing...especially since it's for your kids. You'll have the initial 5GB patch that will take quite a while to download, and, respective patches for most of the games you bought.

You'll save your kids an hour or more of time on initial setup if you get it out of the way now.

[quote name='Rig'] You'll have the initial 5GB patch [/QUOTE]

Just want to point out that other people have since done the update and watched their bandwidth, and found that it's actually around 1GB. This is still pretty inexcusable but it's at least a massive reduction.

[quote name='Strell']Just want to point out that other people have since done the update and watched their bandwidth, and found that it's actually around 1GB. This is still pretty inexcusable but it's at least a massive reduction.[/QUOTE]

Ah, hadn't heard that. Interesting.

I suppose their servers must have been getting slammed when I was downloading it. 1GB taking an hour and change is kinda crazy.

Thanks for the advice, Rig. I will have to discuss that with my wife - one key is that this is a gift coming from the big guy, so I don't want it to be obviously-unapackaged.

Any other thoughts on the oily-looking appearance of parts of the screen?

[quote name='PlayableMoogle']Thanks for the advice, Rig. I will have to discuss that with my wife - one key is that this is a gift coming from the big guy, so I don't want it to be obviously-unapackaged.

Any other thoughts on the oily-looking appearance of parts of the screen?[/QUOTE]

I'm going through setup and unboxing right now. There's nothing like what you describe on my controller. There's a very tiny pixel/blemish, but I'm not going to return it based just on that.

Even if you don't want to make the system seem 'unboxed', I would still encourage you to do the setup ahead of time. There's nothing fun about sitting here waiting for the download to finish so I can continue with the initial setup and wrap it back up.
It's definitely slower than any x360 or ps3 patch/update that I've ever done.

[quote name='PlayableMoogle']Thanks for the advice, Rig. I will have to discuss that with my wife - one key is that this is a gift coming from the big guy, so I don't want it to be obviously-unapackaged.

Any other thoughts on the oily-looking appearance of parts of the screen?[/QUOTE]

No way! Gifts like this come from YOU. Don't let Santa get credit for a WiiU.

Yeah there was a lot of confusion over the update, I think it's around 1GB and the OS itself takes up almost 5GB on the system's storage. I think the update was slow due to the traffic that was hammering Nintendo's servers more than anything else.

[quote name='cgarb84']Yeah there was a lot of confusion over the update, I think it's around 1GB and the OS itself takes up almost 5GB on the system's storage. I think the update was slow due to the traffic that was hammering Nintendo's servers more than anything else.[/QUOTE]

The update will almost certainly be very slow/difficult to download Christmas day, too. Another reason to consider updating early!

[quote name='ZForce915']No way! Gifts like this come from YOU. Don't let Santa get credit for a WiiU.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Santa's workshop can't produce a Wii U. Maybe a few toys or something, but nothing that big.

[quote name='advanced']Exactly. Santa's workshop can't produce a Wii U. Maybe a few toys or something, but nothing that big.[/QUOTE]
I plan on telling my kids that Santa buys these from Nintendo because he can't afford the licensing fees.

[quote name='blaster man']i plan on telling my kids that santa buys these from nintendo because he can't afford the licensing fees.[/quote]

:lol:

Have had no problem with the Wii You until today, picked up my daughter, is my weekend. She wanted to play Mario u, which I have played a lot since launch day. So I put the disc in, select Start game and now it keeps getting stuck on the initial loading screen with Mario and all the characters. Cannot get past th
at screen. I had to unplug from outlet to restart.

Then I try all my other games' Nintendoland, Black Ops 2, and Arkham City. None of these have that problem and load and play just fine.

I feel like the flippers (who are making $0.00 by the way :D) would make more money if they opened up those consoles and sold the game pads alone on ebay. I wouldnt be surprised to see the first gamepad only auctions ending

[quote name='jerdi83']Have had no problem with the Wii You until today, picked up my daughter, is my weekend. She wanted to play Mario u, which I have played a lot since launch day. So I put the disc in, select Start game and now it keeps getting stuck on the initial loading screen with Mario and all the characters. Cannot get past th
at screen. I had to unplug from outlet to restart.

Then I try all my other games' Nintendoland, Black Ops 2, and Arkham City. None of these have that problem and load and play just fine.[/QUOTE]

:applause::rofl:

Anyway, try cleaning the disc. If you clean it and it still doesn't work, return it and get a new copy.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I scored a new one at Target today, and returned my other. I'm sure it was fine, but I'm OC, so I wanted to the peace of mind.

I'll definitely be doing the update before Christmas, based on the many wisdoms afforded me here.

Now I've just gotta make it through most of a month having held the thing in my own hands. No big deal. *twitch*

[quote name='soonersfan60']I don't mind the flippers trying to sell these things for a profit, but they're just so stupid and arrogant... that's what irritates me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. But the picture of a buttload of them in the back of a car just reeks of arrogance. And it isn't a great marketing tool either - don't know what that person was thinking. It seems like some sort of fishy back-alley sale ;).

[quote name='io']...the picture of a buttload of them in the back of a car just reeks of arrogance. And it isn't a great marketing tool either - don't know what that person was thinking. It seems like some sort of fishy back-alley sale ;).[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. It just puts a smile on my face knowing that this particular person raped her own wallet. :applause:

Considering the battery compartment is much bigger than the battery, they probably planned on having a bigger battery but had to reduce it to cut costs. The compartment being bigger leaves a lot of room open for 3rd party solutions, which is great.

[quote name='KingBroly']Considering the battery compartment is much bigger than the battery, they probably planned on having a bigger battery but had to reduce it to cut costs. The compartment being bigger leaves a lot of room open for 3rd party solutions, which is great.[/QUOTE]

Or they plan on selling you a better battery in the future for some stupid high price. They probably have some dumbass microchip on it so 3rd parties can't put theirs in it. :p

[quote name='io']Yeah, same here. But the picture of a buttload of them in the back of a car just reeks of arrogance. And it isn't a great marketing tool either - don't know what that person was thinking. It seems like some sort of fishy back-alley sale ;).[/QUOTE]

I feel like we should all spam her account and ask her how much money she estimates she will end up losing...

[quote name='Tronny']I feel like we should all spam her account and ask her how much money she estimates she will end up losing...[/QUOTE]

There might be an opportunity after Christmas to buy consoles out of this lot super cheap (at a loss for her). Hahaha.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but most stores have a default "christmas returns" program that means anything purchased between November 1st (give or take) and Christmas Day can be returned by mid January as long as you have a receipt.

Worst case scenario, she loses shipping costs, but if she bought them all locally, she is guaranteed to break even.

(My brother's daughter has a heart problem and he horded Wii U's as a means of paying for a major unexpected surgery she had to have in the summer. I'm not a big fan of his methods, but his intentions weren't based in greed. That said, i have a hard time judging someone on eBay right now without knowing her story).

I was at Best Buy today and I saw what looked liked a grandpa buying a deluxe set for his grandson's Christmas present. It makes me happy that scalpers are losing their money trying to resell the Wii U.

Ugh. Now on my 11th survivor on ZombiU. The game is pretty damn tough.

Anyway, anyone picked up Nano Assault Neo? I keep watching videos and wanting to play it, but I'm a bit hesitant to bite the bullet.

Any longevity or replayability?

I just noticed Miiverse prevents us from using certain words. When I tried to post a reply in the TTT2 community forum, I got a message saying there are inappropriate words. Ah, it's "God" that's not allowed. I typed "True Tekken God" (highest rank in the game) but the big N goes nuh-uh. Kind of silly, if you ask me.

So I was in the Nintendo Store today in NYC and played the Wii U for the first time (well, I watched my son play it) and it was pretty neat. Mario in full HD was really a treat and brought a smile to my face. We didn't play anything else but we got to see people playing Nintendo Land (the Zelda minigame looked fun) and the Rayman demo which was absolutely stunning - probably the best looking game 2D game I've ever seen. I mean, there is almost no discernible difference between it and a cartoon. I'm still not buying a system for a while but I'm pretty sure someone will be asking Santa for one - maybe grammie will be able to find one? hahaha...

[quote name='therealdanhill']I don't believe Mario is full HD.[/QUOTE]

Well good for you. Myself, I don't really care too much. it looks as good or better than anything this gen to me, but it's still a blast to play.

[quote name='PieterMc']I need to send it in for repair. They said it will take 1 - 2 weeks to get it back from the date I mail it. Totally sucks. I've barely even used the thing. He said I was not the only person who has had this problem, not that it makes me feel any better. I would have just tried taking it back to Walmart, but my copy of Mario Bros is stuck inside :cry:[/QUOTE]
HOLY **** I didn't know Nintendo is following the RRoD or Yellow light of death trend. It better not be the case, I'm crossing my fingers, I didn't buy any warranty!!!

Okay, the whole Wii U Pro controller is confusing as hell for me... I bought two of them from TRU's BOGO 50%, a decent deal. However, I realized those controllers don't work on the Mario U game. I assumed that the official Wii U controllers are "better" than the Wiimotes, so they should workl? Alas, no! I have Wiimotes from the Wii and I don't mind using them, but come on man, it's Wii U and I want to play with the new comfortable controller damn it!

If the game doesn't support the Pro controller, the controller just power itself off... It works on the Wii U main menu of course, but it blink itself off once the game started (like Mario U). Man, that's a turn off... I'm wondering what good is the Pro controllers are for. So far I can't play any of the games I got with Pro controllers :whistle2:(

It's damn $50 a pair too, come on, with that price, it should be able to play "horizontal" Wiimote kind of games, I don't see why not... Man, it really sucks! I don't want to use the damn Wiimotes, especially I got the shiny new controller that looks like a Xbox controller...

[quote name='Serpentor']Okay, the whole Wii U Pro controller is confusing as hell for me... I bought two of them from TRU's BOGO 50%, a decent deal. However, I realized those controllers don't work on the Mario U game. I assumed that the official Wii U controllers are "better" than the Wiimotes, so they should workl? Alas, no! I have Wiimotes from the Wii and I don't mind using them, but come on man, it's Wii U and I want to play with the new comfortable controller damn it!

If the game doesn't support the Pro controller, the controller just power itself off... It works on the Wii U main menu of course, but it blink itself off once the game started (like Mario U). Man, that's a turn off... I'm wondering what good is the Pro controllers are for. So far I can't play any of the games I got with Pro controllers :whistle2:(

It's damn $50 a pair too, come on, with that price, it should be able to play "horizontal" Wiimote kind of games, I don't see why not... Man, it really sucks! I don't want to use the damn Wiimotes, especially I got the shiny new controller that looks like a Xbox controller...[/QUOTE]

The back of the games list whether or not the Pro controller is compatible.

[quote name='sasukekun']The back of the games list whether or not the Pro controller is compatible.[/QUOTE]

This. If anything, I don't think that Nintendo did quite enough to make people realize that the Pro controllers are an OPTION, not an across-the-board supported accessory. I'm happy I picked one up for games that don't really use the second screen (Black Ops is the big one), but I was aware of the limitations going in.

I mean, I'm glad the Pro controller exists, but... honestly, it doesn't have a huge need to right now. Outside of local multiplayer for something like Black Ops, it's really not all that 'OH MAN I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THIS' useful. Especially for $50.

I also think that as time passes, you'll actually find less uses for it, as many developers will begin to use the second screen for other things to make it 'worthwhile', as it were. Having only owned the system for 2 weeks, I already find it weird when a game like Black Ops doesn't really *use* the screen for anything other than a basic list of objectives. It's a trend that, really, I don't think will continue... I feel like we'll get to the point where, sure, you can play the games with the Pro, but you'll be missing out on something. I think a decent example is AC3... yes, it's totally playable with the Pro controller, but just freeing up a spot by putting the horse whistle on the touch screen is helpful. To me, that's where the difference will come in.

So, that was a lot longer than I intended it to be, but the Pro controller is kind of a bizarre thing. It really is. My gut would tell me that if the GamePad was cheaper and able to connect more than one at a time to the system, the Pro wouldn't even exist. It's a strange inbetween kind of solution.

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed supports the Pro Controller even though it doesn't mention it on the back of the box.

[quote name='007']I think a decent example is AC3... yes, it's totally playable with the Pro controller, but just freeing up a spot by putting the horse whistle on the touch screen is helpful.[/QUOTE]
"Easily accessible horse whistle" is a decent example of touch screen use?

Yosemite-Sam.gif

So I'm clear, I'll need the wiimote and gamepad, the pro controller and classic controller/classic controller pro in order to play games on Wii U. Are there titles that require the Pro Controller at all? Or is it pretty much optional?

Additional things I'm unclear on, but think I have a handle on:
- Classic controller (pro) does not work on Wii U games.
- Wii U Pro Controller doesn't serve as a substitute for the classic controller for Wii games.
- Wiimotes are Wiimotes, so I can keep the ones I have for my Wii and use them just fine on any Wii U game (small followup: is the motionplus adapter necessary in all cases, b/c I only have old pre-motionplus Wiimotes?)
- All Wii digital content (VC) works on the Wii U (i.e., it's not like the PS Vita, which can only play a portion of PSN Store digital content for the PSP)
- The only thing the Wii U can't do that the Wii could is play GCN games (which is even disputable, since it was removed from the Wii 1-2 years back).
- external USB-powered HDD can be used for storage for the Wii U; the internal storage can not be replaced.

I think I got all that. I'm kinda sorta maybe interested in a Wii U, but willing to wait until the price drops on the console or I can score one on the cheap. It's not a terribly overpriced console in and of itself, but all the accessories are overwhelming and make me feel like the "real cost" is hidden. I got a deal on a PS Vita, but the damned expensive proprietary memory card cost make me hesitant to get into another scenario like that. Perhaps that's an apples to oranges comparison, though.

[quote name='dothog']"Easily accessible horse whistle" is a decent example of touch screen use?

Yosemite-Sam.gif
[/QUOTE]

A decent example of something that would drive me to use the GamePad instead of the Pro controller, yes.

Not necessarily a 'great use' in a general sense. Distinctions.

^Regarding the Wii Emulation - The system launches a wii emulator that accesses the Wii Shop, etc. So you have access to the store from the wii there. Wii discs, and these titles don't apear on the main Wii U menu. Also, from what i can tell, they stripped out the online functionality, like friends lists, etc., so I assume that you can't play games online anymore since they all required friend codes.

[quote name='mykevermin']

Additional things I'm unclear on, but think I have a handle on:
- Wii U Pro Controller doesn't serve as a substitute for the classic controller for Wii games.
- Wiimotes are Wiimotes, so I can keep the ones I have for my Wii and use them just fine on any Wii U game (small followup: is the motionplus adapter necessary in all cases, b/c I only have old pre-motionplus Wiimotes?)
- The only thing the Wii U can't do that the Wii could is play GCN games (which is even disputable, since it was removed from the Wii 1-2 years back).
- external USB-powered HDD can be used for storage for the Wii U; the internal storage can not be replaced.
[/QUOTE]

1. Correct
2. Correct, but some games (Nintendoland) specify Motion Plus as a necessity.
3. That and use the GCN controller for Wii games that support it (obviously). Read the post above mine too. I can't speak for the online portion.
4. That's kind of iffy. Nintendo has said that only some will work, and I think that it's been reported that games can't run off of a USB-powered HDD.

[quote name='sasukekun']The back of the games list whether or not the Pro controller is compatible.[/QUOTE]

That's not really the complaint though, is it?

My complaint is that it doesn't support it. Period. It's freaking Mario. The second screen does nothing. Give me the ergonomic 80 hour controller over the bulky 3 hour one that serves no purpose in this game.

I'm only a few worlds in but so far there's no excuse as to why they couldn't support it. I assume there is some lame motion later on that the Pro Controller can't do.

[quote name='Javery']So I was in the Nintendo Store today in NYC and played the Wii U for the first time (well, I watched my son play it) and it was pretty neat. Mario in full HD was really a treat and brought a smile to my face. We didn't play anything else but we got to see people playing Nintendo Land (the Zelda minigame looked fun) and the Rayman demo which was absolutely stunning - probably the best looking game 2D game I've ever seen. I mean, there is almost no discernible difference between it and a cartoon. I'm still not buying a system for a while but I'm pretty sure someone will be asking Santa for one - maybe grammie will be able to find one? hahaha...[/QUOTE]

Woah I was in there yesterday too. I agree Rayman looked sweet. No interest in buying a Wii U though.

[quote name='advanced']1. Correct
2. Correct, but some games (Nintendoland) specify Motion Plus as a necessity.
3. That and use the GCN controller for Wii games that support it (obviously). Read the post above mine too. I can't speak for the online portion.
4. That's kind of iffy. Nintendo has said that only some will work, and I think that it's been reported that games can't run off of a USB-powered HDD.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a bunch! Kinda odd about the HDD, since the internal storage is limited. I really don't want to juggle downloading and archiving digital content.

[quote name='advanced']4. That's kind of iffy. Nintendo has said that only some will work, and I think that it's been reported that games can't run off of a USB-powered HDD.[/QUOTE]

Apologies for barging in chaps, but I'd just like to add a point. Nintendo has a (rather brief) list of tested external HDD's up on their website. You'll have to click on the loader to the left. In addition to functioning perfectly, both drives match the aesthetics of the Wii U rather nicely.

[quote name='mykevermin']- Classic controller (pro) does not work on Wii U games.[/quote]

False, I use the Classic Controller Pro with Sonic Racing All-Stars Transformed.

[quote name='mykevermin']- Wiimotes are Wiimotes, so I can keep the ones I have for my Wii and use them just fine on any Wii U game (small followup: is the motionplus adapter necessary in all cases, b/c I only have old pre-motionplus Wiimotes?)[/quote]

Your existing remotes will work fine. Motion Plus is required only on a select few games, just like it was on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back