Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Corvin']That's not really the complaint though, is it?

My complaint is that it doesn't support it. Period. It's freaking Mario. The second screen does nothing. Give me the ergonomic 80 hour controller over the bulky 3 hour one that serves no purpose in this game.

I'm only a few worlds in but so far there's no excuse as to why they couldn't support it. I assume there is some lame motion later on that the Pro Controller can't do.[/QUOTE]

I haven't finished the game, but NSMBW had the tilt platforms that required the accelerometer in the controller to operate, so I assume it's the same situation as that.

[quote name='jkam']Forgot to mention if anyone is looking for one Toys R Us in Times Square NYC had mountains of these:

photo12312123405pm1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Gamers get the consoles, flippers get nothing! :D

[quote name='007']This. If anything, I don't think that Nintendo did quite enough to make people realize that the Pro controllers are an OPTION, not an across-the-board supported accessory. I'm happy I picked one up for games that don't really use the second screen (Black Ops is the big one), but I was aware of the limitations going in.

I mean, I'm glad the Pro controller exists, but... honestly, it doesn't have a huge need to right now. Outside of local multiplayer for something like Black Ops, it's really not all that 'OH MAN I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THIS' useful. Especially for $50.

I also think that as time passes, you'll actually find less uses for it, as many developers will begin to use the second screen for other things to make it 'worthwhile', as it were. Having only owned the system for 2 weeks, I already find it weird when a game like Black Ops doesn't really *use* the screen for anything other than a basic list of objectives. It's a trend that, really, I don't think will continue... I feel like we'll get to the point where, sure, you can play the games with the Pro, but you'll be missing out on something. I think a decent example is AC3... yes, it's totally playable with the Pro controller, but just freeing up a spot by putting the horse whistle on the touch screen is helpful. To me, that's where the difference will come in.

So, that was a lot longer than I intended it to be, but the Pro controller is kind of a bizarre thing. It really is. My gut would tell me that if the GamePad was cheaper and able to connect more than one at a time to the system, the Pro wouldn't even exist. It's a strange inbetween kind of solution.[/QUOTE]

If I have read your comment earlier I would have skipped the Pro controllers completely! Black OP is not the kind of games I would play on the Wii U. I have Xbox and PS3 for that, the online community is a lot more established than the Wii U.

Wii U Pro controllers are stupid, PERIOD. I regret my purchases 100% :bomb:

[quote name='KingBroly']Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed supports the Pro Controller even though it doesn't mention it on the back of the box.[/QUOTE]
That's the sort of thing I was hoping to happen with Mario U... Man, it's so frustrating that you can't use that curvy Pro controller to play Mario U in multi-player mode. My friends were like, why can't I use that? It got the D-pad and buttons, what's the problem? They were thinking I'm being cheap for flaunting the shinny toy in front of them... Well, until they realized they couldn't use them either.

Personally, I'm sick of reading flipper posts. I think we should just let the topic die, we shouldn't even give them the comfort of "profit analysis."

Anyhow, I think the Wii U is cool, but any accessories marked with "Wii U" on them are WASTE OF MONEY! The only thing you might need is Nintendo point cards, don't buy anything else (unless you don't have Wiimotes).

The second screen is very gimmicky IMO. It doesn't really add anything exciting to game plays. The mini-games in Nintendo Land are tested in PS Vita's Little Deviants. Perhaps I'm already exposed to the experience? Anyhow, the "second screen" experience doesn't equal to the Wii's motion experience at all. With the Wii, the controls are intuitive and the occasional mishaps in the controlling mechanic is forgivable. However, with the Wii U, the tablet/camera/motion tricks don't bold well. For example, using the camera and moving around the tablet controller to create a virtual shooting experience sounds cool. However, when you actual play it, it's not very cool at all. Partly because people can't pick up the "right" way to make it work (even though the instructions are on the screen). For such reasons, Little Deviants is a forgettable game. Nintendo Land is only better because of the Mii feature.

Overall, buy the Wii U just for Nintendo exclusives. The other two consoles are so cheap now, I don't see any reasons to play Batman, AC, CoD on the Wii U.

Lastly, Nintendo can screw themselves, no achievements/trophies? WTF?! I know it's not a requirement, but come on! I don't see any reasons to cut that out. It's not like there's a huge overhead cost to implement this! STUPID times 1000...

And for those of you indifferent to achievements/trophies, please don't start... There are tons of use for such thing. For starter, the descriptions for some achievements/trophies are hilarious! It's like free hidden jokes... In Cabela's hunt games, there's a trophy called "Metal Deer Solid," come on, it's pretty funny :) Even if you don't collect them, you can still enjoy some hidden Easter eggs.

[quote name='Serpentor']Lastly, Nintendo can screw themselves, no achievements/trophies? WTF?! I know it's not a requirement, but come on! I don't see any reasons to cut that out. It's not like there's a huge overhead cost to implement this! STUPID times 1000...

And for those of you indifferent to achievements/trophies, please don't start... There are tons of use for such thing. For starter, the descriptions for some achievements/trophies are hilarious! It's like free hidden jokes... In Cabela's hunt games, there's a trophy called "Metal Deer Solid," come on, it's pretty funny :) Even if you don't collect them, you can still enjoy some hidden Easter eggs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I chiefly use trophy lists as a way to gauge how far along my friends are in a particular game, so it works as a nice discussion aid. I hope they eventually patch them in. Just seems like a sensible thing to do to make them more competitive with third parties.

[quote name='maximumzero']I haven't finished the game, but NSMBW had the tilt platforms that required the accelerometer in the controller to operate, so I assume it's the same situation as that.[/QUOTE]

The question, then, is why didn't they include motion sensing in the Pro controller? Like the PS3 has motion control in theirs? Then the thing would be usable in more games. They could even put in the pointing bit by having the sensor on the front of it.

[quote name='crunchewy']The question, then, is why didn't they include motion sensing in the Pro controller? Like the PS3 has motion control in theirs? Then the thing would be usable in more games. They could even put in the pointing bit by having the sensor on the front of it.[/QUOTE]

I have a question along those lines + cheapness. Why the hell is he controler so expensive if it doesn't have that much stuff in it?

[quote name='Blaster man']I have a question along those lines + cheapness. Why the hell is he controler so expensive if it doesn't have that much stuff in it?[/QUOTE]

I'll up that: why the hell are video game controllers ALWAYS so expensive? I fail to see how controllers for any system warrant being more expensive than many digital cameras.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I'll up that: why the hell are video game controllers ALWAYS so expensive? I fail to see how controllers for any system warrant being more expensive than many digital cameras.[/QUOTE]
There's a difference between controller being expensive vs. controllers actually CAN play games! The issue of "expensive" controller only arise because the Wii U Pro controllers can't even play some basic games! AND to add to injuries, we're not even talking about some crappy 3rd party controllers. The Pro controllers are quality first Nintendo party stuff!

As I've posted the 3rd party "pro" equivalent controllers link earlier, even they're listed as Wiimote compatible!

Again, it's not the issue of why controllers are expensive. It's the question of why they don't work or won't work?!

[quote name='Serpentor']It's the question of why they don't work or won't work?![/QUOTE]

Developers have to support them. There's no more or less than that.

Nintendo doesn't even support the Pro controller. There's no question that the Pro controller is pretty badly ill-conceived and now there are so many controller options that may or may not be supported in games that the back of the box looks ridiculous in some cases. See Sega Racing Transformed. They even forgot to include the Pro controller in their list of supported controllers.

[quote name='Serpentor']Anyhow, I think the Wii U is cool, but any accessories marked with "Wii U" on them are WASTE OF MONEY! The only thing you might need is Nintendo point cards, don't buy anything else (unless you don't have Wiimotes).[/QUOTE]

Wii U accessories are only a waste of money if you don't have a use for them. If you're using them, why would they be a waste of money? If you're not using them, why did you buy them?

[quote name='Serpentor']The second screen is very gimmicky IMO.[/QUOTE]

Did I just time travel to 2004?

[quote name='crunchewy']The question, then, is why didn't they include motion sensing in the Pro controller? Like the PS3 has motion control in theirs? Then the thing would be usable in more games. They could even put in the pointing bit by having the sensor on the front of it.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a solid answer for this one, but a logical guess is that that group of folks out there that call themselves "TRUE GAMERZ" wouldn't be interested in their controllers having motion controls. They're called "Pro" controllers for a reason.

But then I don't see that group buying the Wii U anyway, so your guess is as good as mine.

well, i got my pro controller for Monster Hunter Ultimate, Bayonetta 2, and the eventual wiiu virtual console. Those are 3 pretty good reasons, IMO.

[quote name='maximumzero']False, I use the Classic Controller Pro with Sonic Racing All-Stars Transformed.[/QUOTE]

Huh. So is the Classic Controller a possible substitute anytime I would otherwise use the Pro Controller? Or must the title specifically support the Classic Controller? (i.e., a Wii U title could feasibly have support for (a) Classic Controller only, (b) Pro Controller only, (c) both, or (d) none at all?)

Pardon the barrage of questions, but I want to make the right purchases (or avoid the wrong ones) when I decide to pick up a Wii U.

Well, good news and bad news. The good news is Scribblenauts was a big hit with my kids. Even my 360 fanboy son who wanted nothing to do with the Wii U took a turn at it. The bad news is that despite using a fully charged gamepad (it sits in the charging cradle all the time) we got, at best 2 hours of gameplay out of it before it died. Then it kept disconnecting over and over and finally we had to quit. That is not good. I didn't time it exactly, but I don't even think it was a full 2 hours. The frustrating thing is that it showed 2 bars on the battery when we put it on the cradle, but then using it again it would only work for a couple minutes (and the battery light was flashing on it so it was definitely that and not a general connection issue).

And yeah, I'll have to look into this Controller Pro business. I preordered one at Newegg (hey, where is thay anyway - no shipping notice or delay notice or anything). But if it seems pretty useless I might see if I can cancel it.

[quote name='mykevermin']Can you use the gamepad while it's plugged in?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can. Although I probably wouldn't try using it while it was connected to the charging dock. Much better to just plug the power cord directly into the top of the controller.

The obvious disadvantage of this is that it makes your controller no longer truly wireless. The upside is that the controller does not need to be tethered to the console itself, any wall outlet will do. This is why Nintendo opted for a separate power adapter instead of just charging the Wii U's gamepad via USB.

I'm a couple days into opening mine and I'm pretty tempid on the whole thing. Nintendo Land is pretty cool and has its purpose but this isn't going to be much different from what drew me away from the Wii...mini games based on gimmick.

I've got New Super Mario on the way, but really the only way I don't return this to Best Buy is based on a system update by years end. If they show support by fixing system slowness and get some other enhancements up then I can have confidence, otherwise I doubt this will have legs.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Yes, you can. Although I probably wouldn't try using it while it was connected to the charging dock. Much better to just plug the power cord directly into the top of the controller.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that's clear, thanks. I live in a rather tiny (narrow) home, so depending on the length of the cord (or the availability of longer cords), I won't have any concerns about short battery life. Sweet.

[quote name='io']Well, good news and bad news. The good news is Scribblenauts was a big hit with my kids. Even my 360 fanboy son who wanted nothing to do with the Wii U took a turn at it. The bad news is that despite using a fully charged gamepad (it sits in the charging cradle all the time) we got, at best 2 hours of gameplay out of it before it died. Then it kept disconnecting over and over and finally we had to quit. That is not good. I didn't time it exactly, but I don't even think it was a full 2 hours. The frustrating thing is that it showed 2 bars on the battery when we put it on the cradle, but then using it again it would only work for a couple minutes (and the battery light was flashing on it so it was definitely that and not a general connection issue).

And yeah, I'll have to look into this Controller Pro business. I preordered one at Newegg (hey, where is thay anyway - no shipping notice or delay notice or anything). But if it seems pretty useless I might see if I can cancel it.[/QUOTE]
Maybe it's intentional. Now they don't have to ask those questions, "Aren't you tired of playing video games? Get your lazy ass out into the fresh air and sun you fat ass!". They force you to stop playing. :D

[quote name='maximumzero']Wii U accessories are only a waste of money if you don't have a use for them. If you're using them, why would they be a waste of money? If you're not using them, why did you buy them?

Did I just time travel to 2004?[/QUOTE]

Because why won't a PRO CONTROLLER play Mario U?!?! It's a freaking given... If I had do my homework, then yeah, I save myself the heartache. BUT alas, no, I just assume it would. Yeah, blaming me for my ignorance, I know.... I'm just putting this out there for other people with the same assumption.

You don't get the frustration apparently. It's not that I'm not using them, I can't freaking use them! Why I buy them? Because it looks cool, it's like playing with the Xbox controller. However, it doesn't work like I envision it would... AND that's the problem!

[quote name='coolz481']well, i got my pro controller for Monster Hunter Ultimate, Bayonetta 2, and the eventual wiiu virtual console. Those are 3 pretty good reasons, IMO.[/QUOTE]
Okay, those titles do make me feel better. However, at the moment? No, still pissed. Oh wait, if those titles are not exclusives, I will not be getting for the Wii U. Why? I simply prefer achievements/trophies, I get a lot from "nothing."

[quote name='maximumzero']
Did I just time travel to 2004?[/QUOTE]

The difference is that in 2004, the Wii U is just all talk. Right now, from actual experience? The second screen is gimmicky, it doesn't enhance gaming experience like the motion controllers do. The only cool thing is that you can play the games on the little screen (portable within the house). The gamepad is value added, I agree with that, but the game plays are already "experimented" on the Vita.

[quote name='mykevermin']Huh. So is the Classic Controller a possible substitute anytime I would otherwise use the Pro Controller? Or must the title specifically support the Classic Controller? (i.e., a Wii U title could feasibly have support for (a) Classic Controller only, (b) Pro Controller only, (c) both, or (d) none at all?)

Pardon the barrage of questions, but I want to make the right purchases (or avoid the wrong ones) when I decide to pick up a Wii U.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how to answer your question because I'm confused as well. I have the Wii and Wii U, the truth is, it was never that hard to figure out Wiimote or classic controller. However, the Pro controller confused the crap out of me.

To me, the logical answer is (C) both classic controller and Pro controller. I don't see the difference in the buttons, just the layout. But the classic controller goes through the Wiimote and Pro controller is already wireless. So there goes the confusion...

[quote name='mykevermin']Ah, that's clear, thanks. I live in a rather tiny (narrow) home, so depending on the length of the cord (or the availability of longer cords), I won't have any concerns about short battery life. Sweet.[/QUOTE]

I set up the power cord and charging cradle way up on the mantle (out of reach of the little ones). So it is pretty inconvenient to yank that all down to plug in the gamepad somewhere closer to the couch when it runs low. I suppose I could get another AC adapter to use in those circumstances, but that is sort of a pain. Plus I'd probably have to run an extension cord from the wall to where we normally sit to use it. Yeah, that really makes it no longer wireless!

[quote name='Rig']You really need to multi-quote...[/QUOTE]
It depends on the individual really... I hate lengthy posts and then there's the fastidious issue of replying to the quote on top or bottom. Then you run into issues where people don't really read the whole darn thing and you end up repeating yourself, which leads to unnecessary heated debates ultimately result in name calling...

Of course, the worse thing about multi-quote is when you to reply to it, especially the multi-quote contains quotes from multiple users with different topics. So much editing that sometimes I just give up, it's not the internet still need my opinion anyway...

I normally don't even bother waste my time with my feedback, I figure I've made a bad assumption and I just want people to be aware of the pitfalls of the Wii U Pro controller.

Nope. 5 posts in a row by someone is much more obnoxious than a lengthy post. There's no reason not to multi-quote unless you're on the phone theme.

I tested out the original Wii channel and backwards compatibility yesterday.

The bad news is, the Wii U does not render any of the original Wii content at higher resolutions. The actual rendering is at the native 480p that the original Wii was capable of. So no emulation-supported higher resolutions. Nintendo had confirmed that this is the way it would work before hand, but it is still a bit disappointing. After seeing how good some of the Wii games are able to look on PC emulators, it would have been nice to have some more visual options.

The good news is that the Wii U DOES handle the upscaling itself. The output that comes from the Wii U for original Wii content is at 1080p. So even though the rendering is at standard 480p, the upscaling is handled by the Wii U hardware, instead of relying on the television's upscaling. Most flat-screen televisions don't have very good upscaling. It's almost always better to have the console hardware handle the upscaling, rather than relying on the screen. Thanks to this, the Wii U is still a better option for playing original Wii games. (since the original Wii does NOT handle upscaling)

The performance for original Wii games on the Wii U was quite good. The controls were smooth and accurate, the controller syncing worked well, and the visuals were solid. (even if they weren't high-definition)

Thanks for the info Richard, I know that HDTV input lag is always a concern for me, so that would be something to consider when I do upgrade to the Wii U in the future (originally I was just planning on keeping both Wii and Wii U set up simultaneously, not transferring the data over).

Then again I still like having the component audio output feed directly to my analog stereo system (no digital sound bar as of yet), so I'd be curious of someone's take on the Wii U HD output on the HDMI cables vs. the component cables (as both are still HD resolution).

[quote name='Richard Kain']I tested out the original Wii channel and backwards compatibility yesterday.

The bad news is, the Wii U does not render any of the original Wii content at higher resolutions. The actual rendering is at the native 480p that the original Wii was capable of. So no emulation-supported higher resolutions. Nintendo had confirmed that this is the way it would work before hand, but it is still a bit disappointing. After seeing how good some of the Wii games are able to look on PC emulators, it would have been nice to have some more visual options.

The good news is that the Wii U DOES handle the upscaling itself. The output that comes from the Wii U for original Wii content is at 1080p. So even though the rendering is at standard 480p, the upscaling is handled by the Wii U hardware, instead of relying on the television's upscaling. Most flat-screen televisions don't have very good upscaling. It's almost always better to have the console hardware handle the upscaling, rather than relying on the screen. Thanks to this, the Wii U is still a better option for playing original Wii games. (since the original Wii does NOT handle upscaling)

The performance for original Wii games on the Wii U was quite good. The controls were smooth and accurate, the controller syncing worked well, and the visuals were solid. (even if they weren't high-definition)[/QUOTE]

The problem with this is that it forces 16:9 on all games, so games originally meant for 4:3 will get stretched. Otherwise they definitely do look sharper/clearer on my setup (and I'm using the exact same component cables). If they would patch in a setup menu for the Wii software menu it would fix this but I don't expect it.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']originally I was just planning on keeping both Wii and Wii U set up simultaneously, not transferring the data over[/QUOTE]

Even though I consider the Wii U to be a superior option for playing Wii titles, I'm still going to hang onto my Wii, and I'm not going to use the transfer function. I hadn't over-invested in either Virtual console games, or save data for my original Wii. I'm fine with starting fresh for most Wii games on my Wii U.

I also still feel that the original Wii is one of the best methods for playing GameCube games. This is partially due to the Wii's superior 480p support, and the broad availability of component cables for the Wii. The only component cables for the GameCube were first-party, and are extremely rare. (and only work for earlier versions of the console)

I've mentioned before that I'm a collector, though. So it's not really surprising that I would hang onto old hardware.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Even though I consider the Wii U to be a superior option for playing Wii titles, I'm still going to hang onto my Wii, and I'm not going to use the transfer function. I hadn't over-invested in either Virtual console games, or save data for my original Wii. I'm fine with starting fresh for most Wii games on my Wii U.

I also still feel that the original Wii is one of the best methods for playing GameCube games. This is partially due to the Wii's superior 480p support, and the broad availability of component cables for the Wii. The only component cables for the GameCube were first-party, and are extremely rare. (and only work for earlier versions of the console)

I've mentioned before that I'm a collector, though. So it's not really surprising that I would hang onto old hardware.[/QUOTE]
Either way I would of held onto the Wii, as I agree its a lot easier using that for my GCN games. The fact that the games do look better / less HDTV lag by using the Wii U is swaying my decision if I want to transfer the files over or not. The 16:9 automatic stretch factor doesn't bother me, as the annoying black side bars are the greater evil, personally.

I won't be getting a Wii U anytime soon though (too much Wii backlog as it is), so this is all just future thinking.

New system updated out. 592 MB.

These are huge updates. Nintendo needs a new way to package these things so they aren't so big.

well they have 1gb of ram for the OS, so they're going to be big updates.

With 3 Nintendo Directs tomorrow, me thinks we're getting the Wii U Virtual Console tomorrow since it's a thursday.

For North America and Europe...Metroid Prime.

/faints

[quote name='hack']New system updated out. 592 MB.

These are huge updates. Nintendo needs a new way to package these things so they aren't so big.[/QUOTE]

It's December...any TVii features added, as little as I really care, I'd rather not have to open this thing for another update before Christmas.

The nice thing about this system update is that I was playing NSMBU for about an hour and during that time, the entire update had already downloaded. The installation process is still pretty damn slow, but background downloading of the patch was a nice feature.

I'm reading online that it addresses stability bugs, user interface tweaks and stuff like that.

[quote name='ZForce915']...If they show support by fixing system slowness and get some other enhancements up then I can have confidence, otherwise I doubt this will have legs.[/QUOTE]

Well today is encouraging!

bread's done
Back