Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Corvin']For everyone else, the launch lineup could have been stronger.[/quote]

I hear this with every launch. What the reality is that a launch lineup will never compare well with

I think there would have been zero complaints if Pikmin and Rayman made the launch. (and no a 3-4 month launch "window" doesn't count).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Corvin']Before you jump to the reply/flame button, I really like the WiiU, but there's nothing wrong with calling a spade for what it is. The WiiU definitely has a killer launch lineup... because it's the PS3/360 greatest hits of the past few years(albeit with a price markup on every game). Assuming you never owned either system, then yeah, definitely nothing to complain about. For everyone else, the launch lineup could have been stronger.[/quote]

You know, people seem to say this with all launch lineups, but a launch lineup, no matter how good, will never compare with a mature system.

I think there would have been zero complaints if Pikmin and Rayman made the launch. (and no a 3-4 month launch "window" doesn't count).

Zero complaints? I don't believe it. There will always be complaints. Hell, there have been enough complaints about no Zelda in the launch lineup. The launch lineup for the WiiU is solid.

[quote name='coolz481']
I completely understand someone being underwhelmed by the lineup and choosing not to buy the system now, but spending the $350+ and then claiming disappointment just doesn't make much sense.
[/QUOTE]

That's fair. I bought it knowing that it will be a Mario machine until Pikmin/Rayman hit. I knew that going in, so no complaints from me.

*edit - scratch that. Rayman was still on track when I pre-ordered. I just let it ride and bought anyway.

[quote name='TheLongshot']
Zero complaints? I don't believe it. There will always be complaints. Hell, there have been enough complaints about no Zelda in the launch lineup. The launch lineup for the WiiU is solid.[/QUOTE]

Alright, zero is a stretch, but two completely new games for the hardcore crowd? It would definitely silenced a few people.

[quote name='Corvin']ZombieU, by all accounts, seems to be a great exclusive. [/QUOTE]
ALL accounts? It's pulling a 77 on Metacritic. A "great" exclusive is a game that compels non-system owners to actually buy the same for the sake of playing that title. Meaning the exclusivity sells the system.

Nobody is buying a WIIU so they can set everything up and play ZombiU as soon as the TV's on and the console is plugged in the wall. It's not the fuckup Red Steel was, so it's good in that sense, and it's also good in that it's not necessarily dead weight. But unless an exclusive pulls people to a platform, the point of exclusivity mainly works for Ubisoft and not Nintendo. So in that sense, it's a push at best.

Critics aren't the end-all, be-all though. It's been nearly unanimous on the forums I visit, in favor of. That's solid word of mouth, IMO. Has me considering it(and I'd buy if I didn't have a pile going already). Metacritic means nothing to me. Regular forum goers mean far more when deciding on a purchase.

A great exclusive doesn't always have to stand on its own. It's part of a larger library. Come for Mario, stay for ZombieU. Exclusives also benefit the console in ways that showcase the system. One other thing going for it is that it has been widely praised as the best use of the tablet.

And for comparison, Condemned (also a launch title centered on the horror genre) pulled a 78, and I'd still put that in my top 10 this gen.

LTTP and I think I've said it before but the launch was really good. The only issue that I (and presumably others) ran into was I already had the good third party games on other systems by the time the Wii U came out. Specifically Batman AC, ME 3, Darksiders 2, AC 3, and Blops 2. If I was jumping directly from the Wii to the Wii U, I'd have tons of stuff to play just from those those titles alone. Throw in NSMBU and Nintendoland and boom, seven good to great games right off the bat. Obviously different strokes for different folks but I think the criticisms against the library are pretty baseless.

Now, the fact that the system struggles mightily to connect effectively to my wireless network that supports my laptop, 360, PS3, PSP, 3DS, DSi, Ipod, and phone without any issues or tweaking is a serious issue. I still haven't been able to transfer all my VC games onto my Wii U. I wish I wouldn't have done the transfer right off the bat because if I could put all the games back on the Wii and play them there, I would.

I'm sure you guys that already bought a Wii U and now have an interest in it doing well are more fair and balanced than an analyst that has no such need to feel that the console is successful.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/03/wii...sales-at-gamestop-below-expectations-analyst/

Thu, Jan 03, 2013 | 17:33 GMT
Wii U holiday hardware and software sales at GameStop “below expectations” – analyst

Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia has said in his latest investor note that sales of Wii U hardware and software at GameStop were below expectations over the holiday period.
wii-u-121112.jpg

According to Bhatia, the console and its subsequent software remained “abundant,” in quantity despite suggestions from various sectors citing a possible shortage.
Bhatia also noted the $350 Wii U Deluxe model is moving off GameStop shelves faster than the basic $300 model, due to being a “better value.”
“Our conclusion is the Nintendo Wii U launch has been slightly disappointing,” he said.
The analyst also claimed the attach rate for Wii U software at GameStop was “low,” without revealing any actual figures.

[quote name='dothog']ALL accounts? It's pulling a 77 on Metacritic. A "great" exclusive is a game that compels non-system owners to actually buy the same for the sake of playing that title. Meaning the exclusivity sells the system.

Nobody is buying a WIIU so they can set everything up and play ZombiU as soon as the TV's on and the console is plugged in the wall. It's not the fuckup Red Steel was, so it's good in that sense, and it's also good in that it's not necessarily dead weight. But unless an exclusive pulls people to a platform, the point of exclusivity mainly works for Ubisoft and not Nintendo. So in that sense, it's a push at best.[/QUOTE]

Well maybe if they had in-store demos of games that were actually available, people might be interested

[quote name='dothog']ALL accounts? It's pulling a 77 on Metacritic. A "great" exclusive is a game that compels non-system owners to actually buy the same for the sake of playing that title. Meaning the exclusivity sells the system.
[/QUOTE]
The Original smash brothers got a 79, who gives a fuck what the average critics say, they are always down on new games.

[quote name='Corvin']jI think there would have been zero complaints if Pikmin and Rayman made the launch. (and no a 3-4 month launch "window" doesn't count).[/QUOTE]

I see what your point is but I have two counter points...

1. Putting a bunch of games right away at launch doesn't help long term momentum. There is alot of big games coming out in the spring for other consoles. Releasing two killer games (Rayman and Pikmin) surely will help keep the momentum for the Wii-U. Trust me I'd love to play these now if I could but I think that holding these games back a little longer will work out great.

2. We just spent $300-350 on a new console, most of us also spent money on controllers and other accessories. That doesn't leave alot of cash left over for too many games.

[quote name='Josh5890']I see what your point is but I have two counter points...

1. Putting a bunch of games right away at launch doesn't help long term momentum. There is alot of big games coming out in the spring for other consoles. Releasing two killer games (Rayman and Pikmin) surely will help keep the momentum for the Wii-U. Trust me I'd love to play these now if I could but I think that holding these games back a little longer will work out great.

2. We just spent $300-350 on a new console, most of us also spent money on controllers and other accessories. That doesn't leave alot of cash left over for too many games.[/QUOTE]

I got mine at launch and the only thing I bought outside of the deluxe console is NSMBU. The old lady and I play NSMBU together quite often, and haven't even opened Nintendoland yet.

But the best thing about it is my daughter being able to watch her cartoons on Netflix on the gamepad while we're watching something else on TV. She doesn't have to go to her room to watch what she wants, which is what she used to do. That right there is worth the price of the console.

[quote name='Josh5890']I see what your point is but I have two counter points...

1. Putting a bunch of games right away at launch doesn't help long term momentum. [/QUOTE]

Plus I thought Nintendo intentionally bumped Pikmin 3 to later precisely so they wouldn't dominate the launch games with first-party titles to give third party games a chance.

[quote name='Halo05']Now, the fact that the system struggles mightily to connect effectively to my wireless network that supports my laptop, 360, PS3, PSP, 3DS, DSi, Ipod, and phone without any issues or tweaking is a serious issue. I still haven't been able to transfer all my VC games onto my Wii U. I wish I wouldn't have done the transfer right off the bat because if I could put all the games back on the Wii and play them there, I would.[/QUOTE]

I had exactly the same problem. I could get it to connect a little which was odd - but not enough to do anything major like transfer VC games. I bought the Rocketfish LAN adapter and the difference was incredible. This is assuming you have a wired connection. I just happen to have a switch with some open ports right where the Wii U is sitting (since I hardwired the PS3 and 360 in for better performance).

I wanted to post this here anyway, but Best Buy has the Rocketfish adapter on sale right now for $10. I got it for $16 from Amazon back when the Wii U launched. $10 is a great price. I might even get one for the old (GC-compatible) Wii that I kept even though I'll probably rarely if ever need to get that one online.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...88611.p?id=1218051663723&skuId=9188611&st=wii rocketfish lan&cp=1&lp=1

This also got my Wii to connect for the first time in years (though granted we didn't try to connect it that often since the early days). A few years back I upgraded my wireless router and that's probably when the Wii stopped working reliably. I have a NetGear Wireless-N 300 (model WNR2000v2). By chance, is that what you have as well? Just like you, every other device (Netbook, Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Vita, PS3, 360, DS and 3DS) works just fine but not the Wii and Wii U.

[quote name='io']Plus I thought Nintendo intentionally bumped Pikmin 3 to later precisely so they wouldn't dominate the launch games with first-party titles to give third party games a chance.[/QUOTE]

I believe that was their stated reasoning behind backing off the 3DS launch, so I'd be surprised if they officially revisited it for the Wii U launch after the criticism of that move. I mean, let's be fair... if the 3DS had launched with a strong first-party title (NSMB, 3D Land, Mario Kart, etc.), I think it would've done much better out of the gate, even with the $250 price point. I think NSMBU was almost a direct response to that. I love the game and all, but I'm willing to bet that Nintendo can churn a NSMB game out faster than, say, something like Galaxy or Pikmin, which is why it hit launch. It's the only way I can explain the sort of baffling move of releasing two NSMB games within 3-4 months of one another. I admit that NSMBU would've been way more exciting had I not just gotten done with another NSMB game, you know?

Anyway, those are just guesses, and I'm willing to be wrong, but I don't think Pikmin was pushed for that reason. Honestly, I think Nintendo came up with and promoted the 'launch window' simply because a lot of games just weren't going to hit the Nov. 18th deadline.

[quote name='Blaster man']I'm sure you guys that already bought a Wii U and now have an interest in it doing well are more fair and balanced than an analyst that has no such need to feel that the console is successful.[/QUOTE]

Ehhh, "fair and balanced" or not, I've found that a number of industry analysts speak out of both sides of their mouth. Michael Pachter is well paid and well-respected, but he's spoken out of both sides of his mouth on nearly every issue facing the gaming market. He's the Mitt Romney of video game analysts. He's the Bill Kristol of video games - he never gets called out when he's spectacularly wrong in his analysis, and he continues to be exalted as an "expert" in the field.

(I realize that the article you quote isn't Pachter, but since Pachter is not called out on anything, it makes me suspect of anyone the industry deems to be an "expert.")

That said, if anecdotal evidence is any indication, I've seen dozens of WiiU consoles at every store I've been at since launch. Except Target and Gamestop, since they keep all but a few stock in the back. But Best Buy, TRU, Wal-Mart have all had 50+ easy on the shelves. GS has always had them in stock when I walk into the store. I applaud Nintendo for not shorting the market as they seem to have done each and every launch dating all the way back to Zelda II. But, yeah, I've seen WiiU consoles readily available, so that lends some credence to the idea that it's not selling gangbusters. Also, the secondary market prices are at or slightly below retail, which is another indicator of market demand.

So maybe the analyst is right. That's cool, the system is 1.5 months old, the sky isn't falling yet. I would like to pick up a WiiU, but the sooner the pricepoint gets to $200 or storage size gets much larger on the consoles, the sooner I'll pick one up. I'm patient, I can wait. It's not doom and gloom for Nintendo - jesus, they're enormously successful with the Wii and DS.

Now, if you wanna talk doom and gloom, we can go visit the Vita. Christ on a crutch, what a magnificent letdown of a system - and I say that as someone who owns it and sees the promise in the hardware. Maybe getting burned on Sony's N-Gage is what makes me have cold feet when it comes to the WiiU.

Shouldn't everyone in this thread have *some* interest in the console? If not, yeesh. But, sure. New console warz. Sweet.

I haven't touched my Wii U console in weeks, aside from showing a friend. Tempted to sell it, but I don't want to lose my NNID info.

[quote name='mykevermin']So maybe the analyst is right. That's cool, the system is 1.5 months old, the sky isn't falling yet. I would like to pick up a WiiU, but the sooner the pricepoint gets to $200 or storage size gets much larger on the consoles, the sooner I'll pick one up. I'm patient, I can wait. It's not doom and gloom for Nintendo - jesus, they're enormously successful with the Wii and DS.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I think ANY new console is going to face a challenge in this market. I think we've reached the point where the current generation is good enough for a lot of gamers, and that console makers have to do something different to attract people. That is going to be the challenge not only for Nintendo, but for all the players.

So, no, it wouldn't shock me that there is a lot of supply and that the console isn't selling like gangbusters. That being said, all console makers play the long game and it is what it does over the next two years that is important, not how it does at launch.

This will be the slowest time for Wii U games for it's entire lifecycle. I remember getting the 360 at launch and around january - march there was not a lot to play on it. I'm trying to remember when Oblivon or Gears of War came out for it.

I've owned the Wii U since launch and I don't regret getting it at all. NSMBU is an awesome game and I've been playing Scribblenauts here and there.

I believe Rayman Legends and Pikmin 3 are not that far off so there's a lot to look forward too. Plus the fact Bayonetta 2 will be on the system at some point makes it EPIC!!

[quote name='mykevermin']Now, if you wanna talk doom and gloom, we can go visit the Vita. Christ on a crutch, what a magnificent letdown of a system - and I say that as someone who owns it and sees the promise in the hardware. Maybe getting burned on Sony's N-Gage is what makes me have cold feet when it comes to the WiiU.[/QUOTE]

This bums me out.

Nintendo pushed back Pikmin 3 and Luigi's Mansion 2 because they had to many titles out in a short amount of time and didn't want to force their fan base to pick and choose.

In a short amount of time they had Mario U, Paper Mario, Nintendo Land, New Mario 2.

Gotta say, I was getting a little tired of just playing NSMB U and NintendoLand for the past few weeks, but my girlfriend just bought me ZombieU and I am LOVING it. The controls take a little while to get used to, but I am really digging the mood. Plus the game is PUNISHINGLY difficult (little ammo, only takes a few hits to kill you, dark dark dark dark atmosphere), and I feel like it's a real throwback to old school survival horror.

To anyone on the fence about ZombieU, my recommendation is to give it a shot (or at least a rental).

Also played Scribblenaughts at a friend's house the other day, and that was a blast.

I totally recognize that there's kind of a lull in new WiiU game releases right now, but the fun ones are out there.

The 3DS got a slow start but Nintendo was able to turn that around with price drop and release must have games like Mario Kart and Mario 3d Land. They can do the same thing once Smash Brothers and Zelda comes out. The DS also got a slow start and Nintendo was also able to turn that around.

As for Vita, likely the same path as PSP. Slow start, but developing for next gen will be so expensive that many will make PS3/Xbox 360 level of games on Vita.

Nintendo's problem with Wii U right now is a few fold:
- Optimize the OS, make it faster
- Unlock user accounts from the system
- Show us GAMES, not just first party stuff, but third party stuff as well

With Vita though, it seems like Sony has lost Japanese developers, while everyone else just doesn't trust Nintendo on the console front, even though I think we're heading towards a major home console crash if developers/publishers don't wise up to their impending financial problems.

The problem is, a lot of big games coming out (Bioshock, Metal Gear Rising, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider) were in development way before the Wii U was even a dev kit. Its not so easy to just port over something on a new system. Some of them we could still see ported over later.

The only thing I don't like about third party devs with the Wii U is they give this line of "yeah, we could port over Metal Gear Rising, but we wouldnt be able to do anything unique with the tablet"

They either need to

A) Stop being so fucking lazy and do something with the tablet or
B) Just port the damn game over and just let people use a pro controller, hell you can just put the map, etc on the tablet. Doesn't have to have some fancy Wii U only thing going on.

I work as a vendor in Walmart. Everyone I visit has tons of basic and deluxe Wii Us in stock. Being that Christmas just passed, and they are still readily available, I think its safe to say the Wii U is a bust.

[quote name='screwkick']I work as a vendor in Walmart. Everyone I visit has tons of basic and deluxe Wii Us in stock. Being that Christmas just passed, and they are still readily available, I think its safe to say the Wii U is a bust.[/QUOTE]

With no sales numbers to back your claim, not its not safe to say.

In my area (south jersey) basics are easy to find but the Deluxe arent as much. Most places have 1-2 at most or none at all.

[quote name='screwkick']I work as a vendor in Walmart. Everyone I visit has tons of basic and deluxe Wii Us in stock. Being that Christmas just passed, and they are still readily available, I think its safe to say the Wii U is a bust.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, from a pure sales POV, it's not looking like Nintendo made their internal sales target for the holiday. That's really the only legitimate measure of the system's success right now, and while it's known to N only, we can guess at it. Judging from what's on the shelves, it looks like they likely missed that internal number. (Especially given all the cautioning N did about pre-orders and demand -- the system isn't hard to come by at all.)

I haven't given up on the system's chances because it's been clear since last summer that N knew they had to do this one differently due to internal issues, most notably game development delays. The first-party titles will come out, maybe the MSRP will see some tweaking (you never know). That will move WIIUs. They know that to succeed, they've got to make moves post-launch, and they're at least working at it.

What would make things really interesting is if they could just get that *one* game, something that isn't identified chiefly by their run-of-the-mill first-party IP but instead a new play mechanic or a "hot" IP. As curious as I am about Pikmin 3 or another LoZ, neither of those are going to pull atypical gamers to WIIU the way Wii Sports or Nintendogs did their systems.

[quote name='sp00ge']I got mine at launch and the only thing I bought outside of the deluxe console is NSMBU. The old lady and I play NSMBU together quite often, and haven't even opened Nintendoland yet.

But the best thing about it is my daughter being able to watch her cartoons on Netflix on the gamepad while we're watching something else on TV. She doesn't have to go to her room to watch what she wants, which is what she used to do. That right there is worth the price of the console.[/QUOTE]

Not hating or anything, and its great that you feel you got your monies worth. That said, I really dont see how being able to watch Netflix on the controller is "worth the price of the console". Any recent $100-$150 Android tablet is going to give you a larger screen and run Netflix. I don't see how paying 3x as much is worth it.

[quote name='Deader2818']Prob because it can do a lot more then a tablet on its own.[/QUOTE]

With a tablet, you can take it with you when you travel. Wii U controller?

I think the tablets can do more on it own.

So, the WiiU tablet can play every movie file in existence, play ROMS, be used as a media center control, operate as a GPS, work as an MP3 player, etc...?

Look, I'm all for Nintendos new system doing well and eventually being home for some great games, but your statement that the WiiU tablet can do more than a true Android or Apple tablet is completely delusional.

[quote name='SEH']So, the WiiU tablet can play every movie file in existence, play ROMS, be used as a media center control, operate as a GPS, work as an MP3 player, etc...?

Look, I'm all for Nintendos new system doing well and eventually being home for some great games, but your statement that the WiiU tablet can do more than a true Android or Apple tablet is completely delusional.[/QUOTE]

Agree. Others need to be realistic. It's not even as good as the most basic of tablets out there (single touch :roll:).

I would like this thing to succeed, but based on today's software, and what has been announced (so far), I'm not holding my breath. If it had not been a requested Christmas gift from my son, I would be on the sidelines with Strell, and others...

Not the most profound thought, but I'm just happy to play Nintendo games with regular buttons and control inputs again. Plus, the games are in HD so they look presentable on my television.

That being said, I think it's perfectly reasonable to hold out until next Christmas, where there will likely be at least a $50 price drop and (hopefully) at least 2 new AAA Nintendo-developed titles available.

So I got a Wii U today and attempting to sign up for a Nintendo Network account was quite a hassle because the word "crash" is a no-no for name choices and since that's kind of a focus of my usernames across the internet, it was hard to figure out a new name. I did get the idea for the alternate from an alternate PSN account I made to access the Japanese PS Store with a play off of my CAG username that is also a dig at "crash" being some forbidden word/name: FriendlyTanuki

Outside of that and the hour-long firmware update, the set-up was really easy since it does most of the work automatically for video settings, TV controls, and internet settings.

[quote name='Deader2818']Nintendo pushed back Pikmin 3 and Luigi's Mansion 2 because they had to many titles out in a short amount of time and didn't want to force their fan base to pick and choose.

In a short amount of time they had Mario U, Paper Mario, Nintendo Land, New Mario 2.[/QUOTE]

That's a silly stance to take though. Lets look at that lineup. 2 Platformers, an RPG and mini-games. I'm not picking and choosing anything. First you're mixing two platforms. I don't own a 3DS. I hate RPGs and minigames. That leaves me a single game. Not everyone buys every first party title just because it's a Nintendo game or has "Mario" somewhere in the title.

And the fact that Luigi's Mansion 2 is on the 3DS instead of using the Wiimote is still a travesty. Doesn't get anymore fucked up than that.

[quote name='Deader2818']The problem is, a lot of big games coming out (Bioshock, Metal Gear Rising, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider) [/QUOTE]

That's even larger problem looming for Rayman and Pikmin. Two shaky franchises(clearly not AAA titles) that need all the help they can get. Releasing them amid those titles(as well as new entries into the God of War and Gears of War franchises) is a huge mistake. They are two franchises aimed squarely at the core crowd but execs are idiots if they think Bioshock Inifinite or either GoW game are going to take a backseat to a Pikmin or Rayman purchase. Rayman will be a failure like the first and the price drop like a stone within weeks.

Even with a crowded launch lineup I think both would have fared much better than amid a half dozen AAA titles in Feb-March. Why not spread out the ports instead of the new games? As crowded as the WiiU launch is perceived, it's still 90% rereleases of 360/PS3 games. Two totally new games mixed in with all the ports would have done fine.

Armchair analyst... done. lol

So uhhh... we getting any decent games in the next 3-6 months? My Wii U has become a very expensive Wii. I mean, can't Nintendo get a Wind Waker HD out to keep us held over until some proper Wii U games are developed? Also, what are the chances of getting a proper Wii U Virtual Console? Are we really going to have to forever go into "Wii mode" to play all those games? Does Nintendo not want my money?

I don't get how in 2013, when you look at Apple's app store how any company doesn't try and emulate that. Nintendo could easily be selling me NES/SNES/GBA/N64/GCN games for $1-$20 a pop and if they had proper Wii U menu and tablet integration I'd be buying them up! Especially right now when there's nothing to play since I've beat Mario and Zombi U(which I didn't really care for).

Edit: Hell, give me a Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask HD bundle $40, and a Wind Waker/Twilight Princess bundle $40. Sony did it with the God of War games, why not Nintendo? I'd buy either of those in a heartbeat. Probably would pay $60 a piece even.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is getting a couple big multi-platform titles like Aliens: Colonial Marines & Injustice: Gods Among Us. Theoretically Rayman, Lego City Undercover, Pikmn 3 , Monster Hunter Ultimate & Wonderful 101 should all hit within the next 6 months, all core titles.

[quote name='Deader2818']I didn't mean the Tablet of the Wii U compared to a tablet, i meant the system as a whole.[/QUOTE]

Even still, aside from obviously playing higher quality games, I'd go out on a limb and say a tablet can do more.

[quote name='SEH']Even still, aside from obviously playing higher quality games, I'd go out on a limb and say a tablet can do more.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The very fact that its nonfunctional away from the Wii U means its a piss poor tablet. my iPad has a 3G antennae in it and I can buy a month of data on it on an ad hoc basis. Last summer I was driving in the car and my wife was playing some app on the iPad and surfing the web as well (during a many hour drive). Oh, let's stop at McDonald's with a play place for the kids, look up the closest one on the iPad. Navigate to the site, it picks up our location from the GPS and displays the closest restaurants. We find one with a play place and go there. What would the "gamepad" do in this situation? LOL

You do realize it's NOT a tablet, right? It never has been, Nintendo has never pushed it as such. It's a home console. More portable than most since you don't need a TV screen for many titles, but it's still pretty meant to be played at home just like any other home console. The gamepad is a way to play games differently, be it finally not having to fight over the TV (hence why I'm getting any mutli-platform titles on the Wii U in the future) or using the second screen for various things they mentioned, most importantly playing two different ways (asynchronous gameplay I believe it was called) at the same time which is shown off rather well in Nintendoland. It's a simple example for now, but you simply can't do games like that on the 360 or PS3, and odds are the next systems from those companies won't be capable of gameplay like that either because they mainly care about how shiny the graphics for next gen are, not what they can do gameplay wise.

[quote name='Erad30']You do realize it's NOT a tablet, right? It never has been, Nintendo has never pushed it as such. It's a home console. More portable than most since you don't need a TV screen for many titles, but it's still pretty meant to be played at home just like any other home console. The gamepad is a way to play games differently, be it finally not having to fight over the TV (hence why I'm getting any mutli-platform titles on the Wii U in the future) or using the second screen for various things they mentioned, most importantly playing two different ways (asynchronous gameplay I believe it was called) at the same time which is shown off rather well in Nintendoland. It's a simple example for now, but you simply can't do games like that on the 360 or PS3, and odds are the next systems from those companies won't be capable of gameplay like that either because they mainly care about how shiny the graphics for next gen are, not what they can do gameplay wise.[/QUOTE]
Umm, don't you have to be several feet from the television? How does that make it "more portable"?

[quote name='Rosterking']Umm, don't you have to be several feet from the television? How does that make it "more portable"?[/QUOTE]

I can play on the controller in my bedroom. The Wii u is in my living room. There you go.

[quote name='therealdanhill']I can play on the controller in my bedroom. The Wii u is in my living room. There you go.[/QUOTE]

i cant walk from my living room (where the wiiu is) without the gamepad disconnecting.

[quote name='therealdanhill']I can play on the controller in my bedroom. The Wii u is in my living room. There you go.[/QUOTE]
Does not make it more portable as he stated, and you still have to be in your house.

[quote name='Rosterking']Does not make it more portable as he stated, and you still have to be in your house.[/QUOTE]
So I can just take my 360 controller from my living room into the bathroom, shut the door and still play my 360 games just as well? Cause if not then the Wii U is in fact more portable.

Also worth pointing out that in Japan people have taken their Wii u's onto the bullet train with them and played them on their ride.

[quote name='Rosterking']Umm, don't you have to be several feet from the television? How does that make it "more portable"?[/QUOTE]

I was mainly talking about I could take it into any place with an outlet and play. I once took it to a mall and played it in a bookstore cafe, can't do that with a PS3 or Xbox.

bread's done
Back