Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='ZForce915']I think that is the reason it's taking a while to come out.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. I hadn't been following the matter too closely, but that's cool news.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']Gotcha. I hadn't been following the matter too closely, but that's cool news.[/QUOTE]

The ones released thus far display on both screens without any need to activate for off-tv play.

There is one drawback to the current emulator, the Rz button brings up the emulator window for controller and restore point tweaks. That button is extremely easy to hit.

Well with Lego City Undercover if people buy digital then Nintendo also promotes the sale of another external hard drive since it is required for the game if you buy it digital.

By intentionally limiting the supply of games they are making sure games never hit the clearance racks or the bargain bin because they have too many copies in stock at each store, on the minus side they are losing an impulse sale on someone who will buy a copy they see sitting on store shelves. I guess if the person can't find the game at the store they are hoping that they will go home and buy the digital version, but I don't think that is happening as much as we think it is.

If they continue with poor distribution and limited supplies of games I will not be buying a Wii U, I buy my systems to perhaps buy cheaper games down the line, not to have to preorder a game and hope I get a copy because they didn't make enough.

[quote name='foltzie']The ones released thus far display on both screens without any need to activate for off-tv play.

There is one drawback to the current emulator, the Rz button brings up the emulator window for controller and restore point tweaks. That button is extremely easy to hit.[/QUOTE]

You can remap the buttons to avoid this problem. I was having the same issue so I moved this button to one of the other shoulder buttons.

Crap - did I miss a 30 cent VC game? What was before Punch-Out? If so, that month went by super fast. It seems like I just bought Balloon Fight.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It was F-Zero. It still seems to be on sale if you want to hurry, io.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - got it. After updating the system, that is...

I got the Need for Speed game. I thought it looked cool but the cars are really ugly and driving is hard since you have to keep tapping the gas to maintain a speed. Also the touchscreen controls are really weirdly implemented. If you play one-player it's just a mirror of the screen, so to enable maps or anything you have to play two-player and set "dual controls" on.

Nintendo's booth at PAX East was the best. Lots of games to play, 3DS and WiiU, including Wonderful 101. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try out W101 myself.

[quote name='crunchewy']Nintendo's booth at PAX East was the best. Lots of games to play, 3DS and WiiU, including Wonderful 101. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try out W101 myself.[/QUOTE]

Overhear anything about a release date? I still the most likely schedule for the next few months is Virtual Console and Game & Wario in April, The Wonderful 101 in May, and Pikmin 3 in June.

I really wish Nintendo would release mad content for the eShop. They could make some decent money releasing old classics. (praying for Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Super Mario World for my son).

Virtual Console should be starting up again for Wii U in the next few months, though I don't know if that's not happening until after the sales are over.

[quote name='coolz481']Overhear anything about a release date? I still the most likely schedule for the next few months is Virtual Console and Game & Wario in April, The Wonderful 101 in May, and Pikmin 3 in June.[/QUOTE]

No, but that reminds me that Pikmin 3 was also there and playable. Sony's booth was pathetic (the only thing they were showing was The Last of Us. That's it) and Microsoft's, while better, wasn't really showing anything new.

[quote name='frostybroc']I really wish Nintendo would release mad content for the eShop. They could make some decent money releasing old classics. (praying for Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Super Mario World for my son).[/QUOTE]

I'm really hoping they will just release everything from Wii in one go (since they said upgrade discounts are automatic), but I bet they'll do the slow drip thing again.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I'm really hoping they will just release everything from Wii in one go (since they said upgrade discounts are automatic), but I bet they'll do the slow drip thing again.[/QUOTE]

Depends on if there are any rights issues and/or if the emulator update is just an API change or something that requires a new round of testing on each game. Alas I don't know which.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Virtual Console should be starting up again for Wii U in the next few months, though I don't know if that's not happening until after the sales are over.[/QUOTE]

They said "Spring" and I think Donkey Kong won't be available til July and that's a pretty solid summer month.

[quote name='sp00ge']Now they just need a patch to streamline Loadscreen City Undercover. Awesome game, but ugh...[/QUOTE]

Is it slower than LEGO Batman 2? I know the load screens were long there too...

[quote name='TheLongshot']Is it slower than LEGO Batman 2? I know the load screens were long there too...[/QUOTE]

I actually never got around LBM2. All I know is it's about 30-45 seconds to load the title screen (after the opening sequences), and once you choose to load or start the game, it's about another minute of loading. In game is so-so, still alot longer than most loadscreens, especially nowadays.

I just found this video on Youtube. Skip ahead to the 2:00 mark, that's when he actually starts the game from the Wii U menu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su5YAl68pmY

Damn, that is slow. I also don't know why they didn't include the gameplay text like they do in Batman 2. Just having a blank loading screen kinda sucks.

So I just read the news about Battlefield 4 skipping the WiiU. How many times are we going to see these stories over and over again? It appears this is the gamecube all over again. I bought the WiiU at launch because of the pro controller and the promise from Nintendo about core gamers and 3rd party support, mainly so I wouldn't get stuck with 1 -2 good games per year like previous Nintendo consoles. I have held out hope until today, this news pushed me over the edge of being pissed off now. I really wish I wouldn't have bought the console now sadly. On top of it, the one good game I have, Super Mario WiiU had also recently made me realize that I am really starting to hate Nintendo, which is a first for me. I can't stand the fact that you can only use a WiiMote sideways if you are playing coop, no Pro Controller support or even Wii Classic support, I mean really???

I am sorry to rant in the WiiU forum, if all of you are still happy with the system and Nintendo, then I am happy for you. Unfortunately I am finally admitting to myself how disappointed I am, and that this will be my last Nintendo console period. I just can't stand being lied to, especially more than once. :cry:

[quote name='crunchewy']Nintendo's booth at PAX East was the best. Lots of games to play, 3DS and WiiU, including Wonderful 101. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try out W101 myself.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crunchewy']No, but that reminds me that Pikmin 3 was also there and playable. Sony's booth was pathetic (the only thing they were showing was The Last of Us. That's it) and Microsoft's, while better, wasn't really showing anything new.[/QUOTE]

While it's great you got to see these games, it is a little disappointing in that those are the exact same things they were showing at PAX Prime in Seattle last September. I played them way back then :bomb:. I'm thinking now I'll still be playing Pikmin 3 as a demo at the next PAX Prime...

[quote name='lifesun2001']So I just read the news about Battlefield 4 skipping the WiiU. How many times are we going to see these stories over and over again? It appears this is the gamecube all over again. I bought the WiiU at launch because of the pro controller and the promise from Nintendo about core gamers and 3rd party support, mainly so I wouldn't get stuck with 1 -2 good games per year like previous Nintendo consoles. I have held out hope until today, this news pushed me over the edge of being pissed off now. I really wish I wouldn't have bought the console now sadly. On top of it, the one good game I have, Super Mario WiiU had also recently made me realize that I am really starting to hate Nintendo, which is a first for me. I can't stand the fact that you can only use a WiiMote sideways if you are playing coop, no Pro Controller support or even Wii Classic support, I mean really???

I am sorry to rant in the WiiU forum, if all of you are still happy with the system and Nintendo, then I am happy for you. Unfortunately I am finally admitting to myself how disappointed I am, and that this will be my last Nintendo console period. I just can't stand being lied to, especially more than once. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't understand why these titles are skipping WiiU... It can't be small installed user base since these will come out on the other new systems. There's something else going on here, and I'm not sure I blame Nintendo 100% for this, but I do think Nintendo needs to address this... and get it fixed!

As far as the lack of options on NSMBU, I will speculate that this title is probably based on the original Wii game and so didn't have those options readily available. I'd rather see them spend time on updating the game itself rather than the controls. Give them another shot to see if they address your concerns in a "native" WiiU game, and not what was essentially an enhanced version of the prior game that they rushed a bit to have it ready for launch.

lifesun's right about the controls. There's no reason why devs should need to add pro controller support. The buttons are the same as the gamepad - it should be automatic.

[quote name='lifesun2001']So I just read the news about Battlefield 4 skipping the WiiU. How many times are we going to see these stories over and over again? It appears this is the gamecube all over again. I bought the WiiU at launch because of the pro controller and the promise from Nintendo about core gamers and 3rd party support, mainly so I wouldn't get stuck with 1 -2 good games per year like previous Nintendo consoles. I have held out hope until today, this news pushed me over the edge of being pissed off now. I really wish I wouldn't have bought the console now sadly. On top of it, the one good game I have, Super Mario WiiU had also recently made me realize that I am really starting to hate Nintendo, which is a first for me. I can't stand the fact that you can only use a WiiMote sideways if you are playing coop, no Pro Controller support or even Wii Classic support, I mean really???

I am sorry to rant in the WiiU forum, if all of you are still happy with the system and Nintendo, then I am happy for you. Unfortunately I am finally admitting to myself how disappointed I am, and that this will be my last Nintendo console period. I just can't stand being lied to, especially more than once. :cry:[/QUOTE]

How many more games is the Wii U going to miss, especially next gen games that will make me decide which system to get, sure Nintendo will have its exclusives but if its going to be the Wii all over again where every major game skips the Wii U then I do not want it since I will have to purchase at least 2 consoles in order to play the majority of games. Unless it becomes a $99 secondary console, and I don't think nintendo will drop the price that low this time around. It's clear that Nintendo does not excel at making console hardware, but their handhelds are good, and much better than their consoles. How many years have we heard the "we will have 3rd party support" line, and it never happens! Unless Nintendo's idea of 3rd party support is to rehash the entire Xbox 360/PS3 gen, in which case I can get that console cheaper than the Wii U and the games cheaper than $60 last gen releases.

[quote name='SaraAB']How many more games is the Wii U going to miss, especially next gen games that will make me decide which system to get, sure Nintendo will have its exclusives but if its going to be the Wii all over again where every major game skips the Wii U then I do not want it since I will have to purchase at least 2 consoles in order to play the majority of games. Unless it becomes a $99 secondary console, and I don't think nintendo will drop the price that low this time around. It's clear that Nintendo does not excel at making console hardware, but their handhelds are good, and much better than their consoles. How many years have we heard the "we will have 3rd party support" line, and it never happens! Unless Nintendo's idea of 3rd party support is to rehash the entire Xbox 360/PS3 gen, in which case I can get that console cheaper than the Wii U and the games cheaper than $60 last gen releases.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% with all of your comments. It really does appear that Nintendo does not play well with 3rd parties on their consoles for some reason. Heck, even the new Lego game was published by Nintendo, not a 3rd party. I am amazed and disappointed in the fact that Nintendo developed and then touted the Pro controller for "core" gamers, yet with no 3rd party support I can't see the benefit. The sad fact is that personally, I been disappointed since the N64 was launched, yet I keep hoping and buying more of their consoles.........shame on me I suppose. It is worth it for the 1st party titles, but not the price the WiiU is right now.

Meh, I long ago accepted the fact that you buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games (and the rare 3rd party exclusive) and at least one other console to play "multiplatform" releases. I'm someone who eventually will buy all consoles anyway (after significant price cuts) and buy Nintendo consoles at launch for Nintendo games (and thus would actually think it would be fine for them to go software only... Gasp!).

If you want multiplayer Battlefield, stick with Sony and Microsoft (or get a nice PC). If you want multiplayer Monster Hunter, go with Nintendo.

It would be nice to have everything on one system, but that's just not where things are headed. Listened to an interview with Patrick Klepek this week where he predicted some very big 3rd party franchises are going exclusive next gen. The only way to play everything is to own every system, unfortunately for our wallets.

I think most of the skipping of WiiU is probably because a lot has been invested in developing for PS3 and Xbox 360, and that's where all the money is. Developers aren't in the mindset of developing for a new console as off yet, and WiiU's slow start isn't helping.

That being said, not everything is skipping the WiiU. Just was reading today that Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is going to get a WiiU port. Granted, after everyone else, but it is coming.

[quote name='speedracer']If you're buying a WiiU for third party support, you're doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]

Sounds about right now.

Lets not forget that there is some bad blood between EA and Nintendo right now. Just how much that plays into decisions such as not porting Madden 25 and Battlefield 4 isnt clear, especially considering how EA was presented in the original Wii U announcements.

Again, I am in agreement with most comments here regarding the WiiU. I take full responsibility for being an early adopter and realizing that Nintendo consoles are mainly first party now. However, I had no plans on getting a WiiU right away because of this, but various interviews from Nintendo about 3rd party support and core gaming, plus the Pro Controller convinced and fooled me at the same time. I figured I would give it a shot if I could get ports of current gen games with slightly better visuals and touchpad integration and have the benefit of getting good 1st party Nintendo games as well. The launch games showed promise for this.

I also agree that Battlefield on the WiiU is not a game changer itself as it will most likely be better suited on other consoles, however, it was just another title added to a long list of games skipping the system. Any game skipping a system if it’s a multiplatform title is not a good scenario. Bottom line is that nobody can or should argue that the WiiU is not selling well right now, and the main reason is that there are not any games, 1st or 3rd party. The EA comment is troubling too, because even though it’s an entirely different console generation, lack of EA support on the Dreamcast is one of the many accepted reasons of the eventual failure of that console. Obviously Nintendo has money in the bank and won't fail from this, but at some point I think even hardcore Nintendo fans will stop supporting them. Sure, I understand the need to own several or all consoles to get exclusives, etc., I have been doing this since the SNES/Genesis days, the difference now is how much is a console worth owning if the only games worth playing are 1st party and are slow and far apart in being released. Even Gamecube had better 3rd party support and it wasn't great back then.

Multiplatform games for WiiU are not very good, and I can't imagine games like Bioshock 3 or Tomb Raider 11 would be any better. Gamepad features are tacked on, the games are buggy and crash. Every third post in Miiverse is "any chance of a patch" or "when is a patch coming." (even MH3)

The best port, by far, is Trine 2 (admittedly, post-patch). It uses the gamepad for all its menus, it has smart gamepad features that make sense in the game, it uses the built-in mic (and not for blowing on), and I've never had the thing crash.

Unless third party devs are going to do a Trine 2 experience, I'm not really interested. If they want to add zero features and let the game run poorly, I could play on the PS3.

I just buy my consoles 3-5 years after launch these days when they get price drops and upgraded models, I have so many games there is absolutely no need for me to own a system at day 1 for any reason. After getting burned on the original DS I wouldn't buy a launch console again.

Though that might not be a good idea for the Wii U as I can see them axing Wii support from it and dropping the price just like they did with the Wii.

Is it possible to move data between USB drives? I'm using a small flash drive at the moment, and I wouldn't mind upgrading to a larger drive.

I tried moving runner 2 back onto the WiiU disk (plenty of room) but it kept saying "data could not be moved"

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Is it possible to move data between USB drives? I'm using a small flash drive at the moment, and I wouldn't mind upgrading to a larger drive.

I tried moving runner 2 back onto the WiiU disk (plenty of room) but it kept saying "data could not be moved"[/QUOTE]

Probably could connect them both to a PC and transfer from one to the other this is what I did when I upgraded 3DS memory card from 4 gb to 16 gb. But have not tried on Wii U.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Is it possible to move data between USB drives? I'm using a small flash drive at the moment, and I wouldn't mind upgrading to a larger drive.

I tried moving runner 2 back onto the WiiU disk (plenty of room) but it kept saying "data could not be moved"[/QUOTE]

I think the only way is to move it back to the system memory. I believe a PC can not read the file system of the formatted drive ( I have never tried so I could be wrong).

I do know that you can not move from one external source to another using the Wii U, it will say that no external is connected if you have 2 usb devices connected.

Anyone else in the middle of a console update right now? Mine has been at it for like 4 hours. Every time I come back to check its progress, the estimated remaining time keeps ticking upwards.

Gotta say, so far this Wii U has been more trouble than fun. Really frustrated by the bugs, lack of games, etc.

bread's done
Back