Wii U - General Discussion Thread

hey CAGs,

sorry for the noob question (i've scanned +10pgs of threads in the 'wii u, wii, ...' forum, but don't wanna scan the +140pgs of posts in this one):

will 'wii u' games play on a wii? will just the non-touchpad content be missing, or will none of the game work at all? 'wii u' games look very tempting, but i dunno if i'm ready to buy another console right now. TIA.

Similar question: Is there a list of Wii titles that WON'T play on Wii U?
Actually there is, but it was released by Nintendo on the Wii support site to document games that wont work with the newer Wii units that lack Gamecube ports.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/gi_system.jsp

The system does not support Wii titles or accessories that require the use of the Nintendo GameCube controller ports. Because they require Nintendo GameCube controller ports to work, the following Wii titles are not compatible with model RVL-101:

Active Life: Explorer
Active Life: Extreme Challenge
Active Life: Magical Carnival
Active Life: Outdoor Challenge
Ultimate Party Challenge

The following titles will have limited functionality when used with model RVL-101:

Dance Dance Revolution
DanceDanceRevolution II
Dance Dance Revolution: Disney Grooves
DanceDanceRevolution Hottest Party
DanceDanceRevolution Hottest Party 2
DanceDanceRevolution Hottest Party 3
Walk It Out

would be sweet if that means a price drop on the nintendoland bundle
Not necessarily - I would assume the WW one wouldn't have NintendoLand so it would just be swapping the games out. Having said that, I can't see anyone not choosing the Zelda-themed one, especially if it has a unique color. So in that sense it might make sense to drop the NintendoLand bundle $25 or something. But Nintendo doesn't seem to do that sort of thing so we'll have to wait and see.

So do the "doom and gloom" crowd think this bundle will do anything for sales? I'm not sure it will be a success with the masses but I have a feeling a lot of Nintendo fans who have been on the fence will pick up the Zelda bundle if the console itself is unique in some way. That could provide a small surge for Nintendo in the face of the PS4/X1 launches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't think there is actually a problem with Nintendo's current state. They are in a transition period, but their current position isn't nearly as precarious as most people seem to think.

Selling massive quantities of the Wii U right now would not actually be to Nintendo's advantage. The production costs for the system have not lowered to the point where Nintendo can sell it for a profit. Nintendo's strategy has always involved selling its hardware for a profit. It wouldn't surprise me if they are holding off on spending a lot on Wii U marketing until the production costs have dropped to that point. I don't think they want to start selling the Wii U in massive quantities until they can do so without accruing a massive loss.

Microsoft and Sony took huge losses on their hardware from the previous cycle, and are only just now starting to balance things out through software licensing. It took them the better part of six years to make up for their initial hardware losses. Nintendo sold the original Wii for a profit from day one, and are sitting on a mountain of cash reserves even now.

And at the end of the day, Nintendo has never needed 3rd-party support to the same degree that its competitors has. They weren't forced to lean on 3rd parties for the Wii, and can handle the Wii U well enough without sweeping 3rd party support as well.

So do the "doom and gloom" crowd think this bundle will do anything for sales? I'm not sure it will be a success with the masses but I have a feeling a lot of Nintendo fans who have been on the fence will pick up the Zelda bundle if the console itself is unique in some way. That could provide a small surge for Nintendo in the face of the PS4/X1 launches.
I guess I'm somewhere near the top of the "Doom and Gloom" crowd list? Here's my answer: I don't know but probably not a lot. Here's my thinking, most people that want a Wii U at it's current price already bought one. Some people are waiting for specific games. Those folks that are waiting for Zelda will come and buy this console and be happy as hell that don't don't have to buy the Nintendoland bundle AND a Zelda game. I already played Wind Waker when I had a GameCube so the game hold little to no value for me. I wonder how many people that already played the game will buy the remake of it?

So yeah there's going to be a bump in sales when this comes out but will it be bigger than if this special console wasn't out and if so how much? Those we won't be able to answer. My guess is that the sales aren't going to bump as much as they're hoping for.

I honestly don't think there is actually a problem with Nintendo's current state. They are in a transition period, but their current position isn't nearly as precarious as most people seem to think.

Selling massive quantities of the Wii U right now would not actually be to Nintendo's advantage. The production costs for the system have not lowered to the point where Nintendo can sell it for a profit. Nintendo's strategy has always involved selling its hardware for a profit. It wouldn't surprise me if they are holding off on spending a lot on Wii U marketing until the production costs have dropped to that point. I don't think they want to start selling the Wii U in massive quantities until they can do so without accruing a massive loss.

Microsoft and Sony took huge losses on their hardware from the previous cycle, and are only just now starting to balance things out through software licensing. It took them the better part of six years to make up for their initial hardware losses. Nintendo sold the original Wii for a profit from day one, and are sitting on a mountain of cash reserves even now.

And at the end of the day, Nintendo has never needed 3rd-party support to the same degree that its competitors has. They weren't forced to lean on 3rd parties for the Wii, and can handle the Wii U well enough without sweeping 3rd party support as well.
Alright, I have issues with several things here so I'll take them one at a time:

- Alright for this, no one thinks Nintendo is in a precarious state...in fact I haven't seen a single person so much as suggest that. It's the Wii U that's in the precarious state. Nintendo won't fail if the Wii U fails but that shouldn't be what matters. What should matter to gamers is if they bought a Wii U and it's support is aborted abruptly.

I don't think they want to start selling the Wii U in massive quantities until they can do so without accruing a massive loss.

- Nintendo is a business and they are there to make money. They never would have sold the Wii U at a loss if they didn't think they could make that up. With console sales in the toilet, they won't be able to sell enough software to break even for the console losses as well as cover the cost of development. Keep in mind that development has a high break even cost in the HD era. If you can only sell say 500,000 or 1,000,000 copies of Zelda for instance, you might not even break even on the game - let alone the hardware.

Nintendo sold the original Wii for a profit from day one, and are sitting on a mountain of cash reserves even now.

- I'm not quite sure what the point is here. MS is sitting on WAYYYYY more money than Nintendo. Sony isn't in great shape but they have a decent amount of cash none-the-less.

In fact, I just went back and checked the up to date info, Nintendo has 11 billion cash on hand while Microsoft has 76 billion.

- I don't know about this. I used to own an N64 and not a PS1. In those "dark days" there were a shitload of games I wanted to play including many JRPG's that never showed up on the N64 (in fact, only one shitty JRPG showed up "Quest 64" and it wasn't even Japanese it was THQ made). I'm sure PLENTY of Nintendo fans want to play 3rd party games. In this day and age, there's a reason why Nintendo is losing so much of it's fanbase and that's because many adults want to play their 3rd party games so they buy the consoles that do that and then their kids play games on those consoles also. Most "normal" people don't buy a shit ton of consoles like we do.

I don't know about this. I used to own an N64 and not a PS1. In those "dark days" there were a shitload of games I wanted to play including many JRPG's that never showed up on the N64 (in fact, only one shitty JRPG showed up "Quest 64" and it wasn't even Japanese it was THQ made). I'm sure PLENTY of Nintendo fans want to play 3rd party games. In this day and age, there's a reason why Nintendo is losing so much of it's fanbase and that's because many adults want to play their 3rd party games so they buy the consoles that do that and then their kids play games on those consoles also. Most "normal" people don't buy a shit ton of consoles like we do.
Yeeesh. You really need to learn the quote tools, that post is a hot mess, structurally.

You are right about the general consumer. There is no way Nintendo is going to replicate the success of the Wii with their current approach. But it is important to remember that Nintendo survived the "dark days" you mention, and they did it while turning a tidy profit. The current situation is far from ideal from a consumer perspective. It WOULD be a lot better if you could get plenty of high-quality 3rd-party developed titles on Nintendo consoles, in addition to their 1st-party titles.

The point is that Nintendo doesn't need that 3rd party licensing to survive. Microsoft and Sony have other divisions to lean back on when their games business is flagging. Nintendo has merchandising they can utilize, but it only works so long as their brands are strong and popular. Nintendo's core business is games, and they can't employ a strategy of throwing money at their hardware until it succeeds. If there's one lesson to be learned from the original Wii, it's that even an enormous install base is not enough to convince 3rd party developers to support Nintendo hardware. 3rd party support for the Wii was tepid, despite the 100 million install base and stellar marketing that Nintendo put in place for the system. Even if Nintendo cut the price on the Wii U now and took a larger loss on the hardware, there is no guarantee that a larger install base would actually draw more 3rd party developers.

So for the time being, it looks like Nintendo might be content to let Sony and Microsoft have the next year or so, and hold back on really pushing the Wii U until it is more affordable to do so. In the interim they can easily lean on their safe-bet 1st-party titles to keep the system from disappearing. But the Wii U won't start shifting real unit numbers until it has a major price drop.

Not necessarily - I would assume the WW one wouldn't have NintendoLand so it would just be swapping the games out.
Actually I read that the WW bundle may still include a download code for NintendoLand (or pre-installed), so retailers are going to have to make selling the standard bundle more attractive. Or maybe the WW bundle will end up costing more than the projected $349, which would be a bad move...

What should matter to gamers is if they bought a Wii U and it's support is aborted abruptly.
Are we talking 3rd party or are you saying dropping support all together? I actually like reading your devil's advocate counterpoint posts, but if you are saying that Nintendo will stop short on supporting their own console (presumably to launch another console), that is pretty ludicrous. At worst case scenario the Wii U will be another N64, but as Richard pointed out, even that console was still a profitable venture, despite its alienating cartridge format (which was one of the main reasons it lost so much 3rd party support).

If they cut any support for the Wii U prematurely it will severely hurt their IP branding and would cause much more harm than good. As I've said elsewhere, Nintendo is more than likely content with a profitable 3rd place position, and the console's strength will come in time along with its reliable 1st party efforts.

Are we talking 3rd party or are you saying dropping support all together? I actually like reading your devil's advocate counterpoint posts, but if you are saying that Nintendo will stop short on supporting their own console (presumably to launch another console), that is pretty ludicrous. At worst case scenario the Wii U will be another N64, but as Richard pointed out, even that console was still a profitable venture, despite its alienating cartridge format (which was one of the main reasons it lost so much 3rd party support).

If they cut any support for the Wii U prematurely it will severely hurt their IP branding and would cause much more harm than good. As I've said elsewhere, Nintendo is more than likely content with a profitable 3rd place position, and the console's strength will come in time along with its reliable 1st party efforts.
Alright so here's the thing, read the first quoted post above this, he's talking about the precarious state people think Nintendo is in. So in that context, I was replying that no one thinks that they're in a precarious state and that no one should be worried about Nintendo going under or anything like that. The only thing in a precarious state is the Wii U so if people were to worry it would be regarding Wii U sales being so low Nintendo gives up support of the platform.

I'm by no means suggesting that it would happen and I think they'd make a go at supporting the console for at least a few years even if it was really unprofitable that entire time but I don't think they would support it nearly as long as they did the original Wii if it was extremely unprofitable. Nintendo really cut back support on the Wii the last year or two and that's probably what would happen if they were giving up on the Wii U. They'd still put stuff out but it wouldn't be in rapid fire succession though admittidly that isn't even happening now.

Nintendo seems to have a rather stuburn corporate culture and I don't think they'd easily abandon the Wii U. As an example, they'd never do what MS has done the last few weeks. That said, do you think that they would support the Wii U for 5, 6, or 7 years if their console is unprofitable to sell and the games they're selling don't sell enough to break even on development cost? My guess is they'd replace it after 4 years.

edit:
Side note, most developers need to sell 2 million copies of a game to break even these days. Now with Nintendo it would be lower because they don't have to pay anyone else the $10 console licensing fee which is roughly 17%. If we round up to make the math easy to 20%, that means that Nintendo would need to sell about 1.6 million copies of a game to break even. That's almost half the current install base so they'd need 1 out of every 2 Wii U owners to buy any given game just to break even - not even turn a profit.

Edit 2:
BTW I didn't pull that 4 years out of my ass either. Imagine if the Wii U and its software are both unprofitable for 4 years or maybe the software is just eking out a profit at that point. I can see them looking at the original Xbox and the fact that no one held that against MS and use that point as the exit. That would be the earliest conceivable exit strategy for them outside of newanagement taking over the company.

If Nintendo wanted to do a really in-Nintendo and unconventional thing, they could put out an SD version of first party titles for the Wii and have a Wii U copy packed in with a big explanation of how much better that version is. That would help sell more copies as well as promote interest in the Wii U which they are inadvertently buying a copy for also. Disney is doing that kind of strategy with Blu Ray and its working. Nintendo would probably be too worried people would sell the extra disk or something and people do break up the Disney sets and sell the DVD's by themselves but I don't think it's that common for the number of people actually buying the movies.

Nintendo seems to have a rather stuburn corporate culture and I don't think they'd easily abandon the Wii U. As an example, they'd never do what MS has done the last few weeks. That said, do you think that they would support the Wii U for 5, 6, or 7 years if their console is unprofitable to sell and the games they're selling don't sell enough to break even on development cost? My guess is they'd replace it after 4 years.
I'd say at that worst case scenario described, they would still support the Wii U for another 4 years at least. I think 5-6 years total would be the minimum life that most fans would be ok with in this current generation cycle, which matched the Wii console's lifetime. Its hard to say if this next generation of consoles will drag on longer than the last, as the PS3 / 360 has already shown, so 4 years is a very conservative number in a very bleak scenario.

edit:

Side note, most developers need to sell 2 million copies of a game to break even these days. Now with Nintendo it would be lower because they don't have to pay anyone else the $10 console licensing fee which is roughly 17%. If we round up to make the math easy to 20%, that means that Nintendo would need to sell about 1.6 million copies of a game to break even. That's almost half the current install base so they'd need 1 out of every 2 Wii U owners to buy any given game just to break even - not even turn a profit.
I also don't think Nintendo has quite the same developing costs as other studios do, but with the HD transition it is a good point. If you look at it historically, most all of their main titles on the Wii sold at least a million, so I don't think 1.6 million is much of a stretch, especially for games like Wii Fit U and Mario Kart, which will sell much more than that.

Yes, they do have a stubborn corporate culture. Their corporate culture is also extremely conservative and risk-averse. The problem with your theory is that the Wii U isn't unprofitable because it isn't selling strongly. It's unprofitable because it's too expensive to produce at the moment. If the system started selling like gangbusters tomorrow, Nintendo would lose money. Nintendo's business model doesn't rely on subsidized hardware or massive licensing fees. Nintendo's stubborn, cautious culture would never gamble the future of their company on this one hardware platform. And selling the Wii U at a massive loss is far too risky in the current environment.

This largely depends on the title in question. Wii Sports cost very, very little to develop. Brain Age is another prime example of a high-selling Nintendo game whose production costs were extremely low. Nintendo is known for producing appealing titles that don't break the bank on development costs. They don't have nearly as much to lose from their first party development, because they don't have to spend as much. Nintendo has never really chased the cinematic aspirations of other developers. This has helped them to maintain much more realistic budgets.

That said, there is some reason for concern given the upgrade to a high-definition console. While Nintendo is still not going to be dropping the kind of money on development that most other developers do, they are still going to see a bump in costs. High-definition art assets are simply more time-consuming and costly to produce, and there isn't any way around that. At the same time, Nintendo can probably turn a profit off of much lower unit sales than most other developers. If the Wii U can garner a 10-15 million unit install base in the next three to four years, Nintendo will have the audience it needs for its first party software.

Yes, they do have a stubborn corporate culture. Their corporate culture is also extremely conservative and risk-averse. The problem with your theory is that the Wii U isn't unprofitable because it isn't selling strongly. It's unprofitable because it's too expensive to produce at the moment. If the system started selling like gangbusters tomorrow, Nintendo would lose money. Nintendo's business model doesn't rely on subsidized hardware or massive licensing fees. Nintendo's stubborn, cautious culture would never gamble the future of their company on this one hardware platform. And selling the Wii U at a massive loss is far too risky in the current environment.
I don't understand the logic here. Do they want to sell software or not? Why would they have created a console if they don't want to sell it? If they're waiting for it to become profitable before making a big push then why even bother with it? They're going to have to constantly lower prices to keep up with the competition after all.

The point is, in the past when manufacturers sold consoles at a loss, they expected to make up those losses with software. To some extent you're going to need momentum on your side to sell stacks of consoles in a few years from now for the same price as the other guys. I can almost guarantee that ms and Sony will be aggressively lowering prices. MS is going to want to be competitive and Sony will want to keep their edge with a lower price.

I don't understand the logic here. Do they want to sell software or not? Why would they have created a console if they don't want to sell it? If they're waiting for it to become profitable before making a big push then why even bother with it? They're going to have to constantly lower prices to keep up with the competition after all.
They launched it when they did to establish and maintain the branding. The Wii was all but dead, they needed a new system out to continue the branding. Slipping out of the public eye entirely for a few years would not have been acceptable. Better to have a slow selling system for a year or two than no system at all.

And as I already pointed out, they can still sell software without an enormous install base. Nintendo's own software sells better on their systems than any other developers. Nintendo can still endure just fine with their own software sales, even with a lower hardware install base.

And Nintendo CAN'T use a lowered hardware price right now. That strategy simply won't work in the current environment. They have pressure from above and below. The old hardware cycle is still relevant, and has much more leeway for price flexibility. Sony just released a $200 version of the PS3. Nintendo would need to wait for the current hardware cycle to decline before pushing the price advantage of the Wii U.

They launched it when they did to establish and maintain the branding. The Wii was all but dead, they needed a new system out to continue the branding. Slipping out of the public eye entirely for a few years would not have been acceptable. Better to have a slow selling system for a year or two than no system at all.

And as I already pointed out, they can still sell software without an enormous install base. Nintendo's own software sells better on their systems than any other developers. Nintendo can still endure just fine with their own software sales, even with a lower hardware install base.

And Nintendo CAN'T use a lowered hardware price right now. That strategy simply won't work in the current environment. They have pressure from above and below. The old hardware cycle is still relevant, and has much more leeway for price flexibility. Sony just released a $200 version of the PS3. Nintendo would need to wait for the current hardware cycle to decline before pushing the price advantage of the Wii U
My point is, if they are dead set on selling a console for a profit, then why did they create a console they have to take a loss on? Why did they include the Gamepad at all? If they want to make a profit, why didn't they just launch at $500 or sell it with just the WiiMotes?

The last quarter, Nintendo sold only 160,000 Wii U's. All their earnings from 3DS, 3DS games, Wii's, Wii games, and Wii U games were below costs in the last quarter despite only taking losses on 160k Wii U's. Clearly whatever amount of software they can sell isn't currently enough. If the US dollar wasn't recovering relative to the Yen they would have lost money for the quarter.

What you describe, I don't think that's Nintendo's strategy. I'm pretty sure they would have been quite pleased to have sold 10 million Wii U's by now.

The last quarter, Nintendo sold only 160,000 Wii U's. All their earnings from 3DS, 3DS games, Wii's, Wii games, and Wii U games were below costs in the last quarter despite only taking losses on 160k Wii U's. Clearly whatever amount of software they can sell isn't currently enough. If the US dollar wasn't recovering relative to the Yen they would have lost money for the quarter.
That's true, but you have to ask what their costs were. Sales of the 3DS are significantly up, as are sales of 1st and 3rd party software for the system. The expense of producing games for that system didn't suddenly spike. And Wii software no longer contributes any great expense to the bottom line. It's possible that the R&D budget for the Wii U is being figured into the costs for the most recent quarter. Different expenses get reported at different times of the year in order to make a company's financial reporting look better. It's possible Nintendo was using the shift in the exchange rate to mitigate the possible sticker shock of some major expenses accrued earlier.

There's only so much you can read from a company's monthly financial reporting without having access to all the details.

At the end of the day, selling 10 million Wii Us by this point could have easily translated into 100 million dollars of loss. Try covering THAT up in your monthly financial report. A lot of these decisions get made in order to keep shareholders happy and satisfied.

Little off topic but looks like I have a good excuse to upgrade to an XL now if it comes with free Pokemon.

At the end of the day, selling 10 million Wii Us by this point could have easily translated into 100 million dollars of loss. Try covering THAT up in your monthly financial report. A lot of these decisions get made in order to keep shareholders happy and satisfied.
I don't think investors would have been upset if they had a giant loss because of a massive spike in the install base. Usually when companies make investments like this, their stock prices spike because investors know that the future earnings of the company are going to be higher. Stock prices are typically forward looking. Nintendo has the cash reserves to take the losses.

Again, I don't understand the logic at all. You say that they don't want to sell that much hardware because they don't want to take a loss on it. Well why did they put out a console that they have to sell at a loss then? I simply don't believe that Nintendo put out a game console then crossed their fingers and hoped that no one would buy it.

I took at closer look at their quarterly earnings statement and found some gems in it. As you can see by the quote below, they spent more money on advertising (I barely saw any!) and making video games and, at least according to them, that's where the losses originate from. I don't think development R&D is going to change that much month over month because they're going to keep their employees making games.

The operating loss was 4.9 billion yen because total selling, general and administrative expenses exceeded gross profit due to enhancement of advertising and promotion of “Nintendo 3DS” overseas to increase sales, and research and development for the “Wii U” software. As a result of exchange gains totaling 16.9 billion yen due to depreciation of the yen at the end of this quarter, ordinary income was 14.8 billion yen and net income was 8.6 billion yen.
Also, I took a look at their sales numbers and it's pretty interesting and I don't actually think we can extrapolate that 3DS sales are exploding despite the headlines.

3DS sales went from 1,860,000 in the April - June quarter of 2012 to 1,400,000 in the April - June quarter of 2013. 3DS XL sales went from 0 in the April - June quarter of 2012 to 990,000 in the April-June quarter of 2013. It seems that the 3DS XL is canabalizing 3DS sales and while the total 3DS/3DS XL sales went up (by roughly half a million units), I'm not sure that's sustainable since you can only put out Animal Crossing so many times in a console cycle (usually once) and it was released this previous quarter.

Have a look (if you're only interested in console/software sales it's on the last page):

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130731e.pdf

Not having any way to continue playing your purchased games on a new Wii U is a big issue if they're going to start doing these themed systems and bundles. Only those that don't know that or don't care would double dip.

Not having any way to continue playing your purchased games on a new Wii U is a big issue if they're going to start doing these themed systems and bundles. Only those that don't know that or don't care would double dip.

Isn't it just the Game Pad that's themed? Maybe you could swap someone and sync the Zelda-themed pad to your current system.

Had a really shitty-turned-awesome experience trying to pick up Luigi U yesterday.  The BB I preordered at apparently received their shipment of the game but someone lost the shipping box with all of the copies.  They looked around back for about half an hour before giving up and offering to refund my $5 preorder, give me $15 off and have me pick the game up at another store.  Went there, grabbed it with my $5 RZ cert.  End result?  Luigi U and a $5 bill on launch day for $11 after tax.

Yep, it's happening. The original version will likely get phased out, since no similar price drop for it seems to be in the works. Also, the Zelda collectors edition isn't going to come with a disc, but a pre-installed digital version of the game. This is the future of bundled console games. Nintendo clearly fears a weak holiday season enough to take the hit on the hardware loss. This price reduction places the Wii U at more of an in-between point straddling the current and coming console cycles. Very interesting.

Odd move on the digital version only of WW HD in the bundle.  Smart move in the sense that for those that really want to play it, the Wii U deluxe will only effectively cost new adopters $250, but yet collectors (who honestly the bundle is mostly marketed to) will still want a retail copy.  It's possible to sell the code to be used on another console, right?  That may be the middle ground approach for those (like me) that would like a physical copy instead.

In any case, its still a good move in dropping the price, they may take their losses now, but as is the hope of its competitors, make up the difference on their software, which the Wii U has a pretty decent line up in the coming months.

Odd move on the digital version only of WW HD in the bundle.
It's all about the costs. A physical copy costs something to produce and pack-in. And it can represent additional lost potential sales on the second-hand market. A digital sale, on the other hand, is risk-free for the publisher. It costs them next to nothing to include it with the system, and they don't have to worry about the pack-in getting traded to GameStop. It's a big win-win for them. Establishing a precedence of digital pack-ins will also help them to move the market in that direction.

For a collector like me, it means I am going to have to pass on this swanky Zelda-themed version for now. I already have a Wii U, and can't afford to be dropping $300 on this new version, not with two other new consoles launching this year.

It's possible to sell the code to be used on another console, right? That may be the middle ground approach for those (like me) that would like a physical copy instead.
For the Animal Crossing 3DS XL, the game was pre-installed on the system. No code was provided.

I'm interested in the possibility of picking up just the SE tablet down the road. That is the only thing exclusive, right? I didn't notice any deco on the system itself.

It's all about the costs. A physical copy costs something to produce and pack-in. And it can represent additional lost potential sales on the second-hand market. A digital sale, on the other hand, is risk-free for the publisher. It costs them next to nothing to include it with the system, and they don't have to worry about the pack-in getting traded to GameStop. It's a big win-win for them. Establishing a precedence of digital pack-ins will also help them to move the market in that direction.

For a collector like me, it means I am going to have to pass on this swanky Zelda-themed version for now. I already have a Wii U, and can't afford to be dropping $300 on this new version, not with two other new consoles launching this year.
Good points on cost savings, but again, I think collectors are going to want a physical copy anyways, so the target market for this will be lost. The Zombi U bundle (and the 3DS Zelda bundles) did not last long, so any available stock will dry up quickly anyways.

For the Animal Crossing 3DS XL, the game was pre-installed on the system. No code was provided.

I'm interested in the possibility of picking up just the SE tablet down the road. That is the only thing exclusive, right? I didn't notice any deco on the system itself.
Well, I was referring to what I read on Nintendo Life (and seen on other sites), where it mentions a download code. I'm not sure if that means the code is pre-installed to allow for an instant download to the system off the eShop, or an actual paper code you can enter in on any system.

And yes, the tablet is the only thing that is exclusive hardware wise, which is good news if you pass on the bundle. Not sure how easy it would be picking up the tablet second hand though, unless you knew someone who would do a swap with the standard tablet.

So Wii Party U comes with a Wii Remote+? Bad move Nintendo. It confuses things further with the mainstream public who would buy it, and you should be focusing on the GAMEPAD. This pretty much screams the opposite of that.

So Wii Party U comes with a Wii Remote+? Bad move Nintendo. It confuses things further with the mainstream public who would buy it, and you should be focusing on the GAMEPAD. This pretty much screams the opposite of that.
It also comes witih a stand so you can lay the Gamepad flat, so there is some focus, but still interesting to pack in the Wiimote+

Whelp Richard Kain, they lowered the price and will take a larger loss now.

On and concerning the games pre-installed...Nintendo doesn't allow those to be migrated to another system. I moved some games from my niece's DSi to her 3DS and it wouldn't allow me to move some game(s) that were already there. I don't remember what it was, Mario Mini's maybe? I forget exactly but the point is, this game will forever be locked to this Wii U even if a new SKU is released with an HDD and you want to upgrade.

From my understanding you can transfer pre-installed games such as Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 7, and Super Mario 3D Land to another 3DS console without any problems.

In regards to Wind Waker HD, I hope we get the Ganondorf special edition announced for Europe or something similar:

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/08/28/nintendo-europe-announces-limited-edition-wind-waker-hd-with-ganondorf-figure-trailer/
How is it done? It wasn't even on the list of available content for transfer.

Whelp Richard Kain, they lowered the price and will take a larger loss now.
I admitted as much. They are taking the hit in order to expand their user base faster. It WILL be a hit though. This is going to put a great big dent in their financial forecast for 2013.

Nintendo is finding other ways to cut costs. The move to put download-only versions of software bundled with their hardware is going to help them trim the fat going forward. It's also an effective strategy for them to get people using their eShop. The 2DS is also a clear cost-cutting strategy. The thing is designed from the ground up to be cheaper to produce.

OMG - it doesn't fold. That just seems... horrible ;). I could see it being a good thing for kids though. On the other hand, the folding nature of the DS/3DS protects it. I saw a kid drop her DS on the cement while I was at my son's soccer practice yesterday. Since it was closed, I think it was OK. This thing, though, I dunno... Anyway, not on topic here so I'll drop it. But man, just goes to show you can read gaming stuff every day and still miss things!

I rather like the 2DS design for myself to use around the house.  I love the clamshell design for it's easier transport/protection, but I think this will be much easier to handle to leave on the sofa for a sec while you answer a call, to use while lying on the sofa/bed sideway etc 

I am hoping the center of balance is also improved with this, making it easier to use for an extended period of time when I am at home (I use grip/cpp for grip currently)

I don't know why they felt a redesign is needed and add even more model, but I can definitely some advantage to have this design for some of my usage.  Not something I would ask for, but I can find a use for it.

bread's done
Back