Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Of course, it couldn't be "The Android gane controller is selling really well, we want a piece of that!"
No, they've been working on this for longer than that... Just like Samsung's watch, Apple isn't copying that. Samsung knew about the watch rumors as they've been around for years and tried to pump theirs out first. Of course it's pretty mediocre. Once Apple makes theirs, Samsung can steal the features and make theirs more desirable (this is the reason Apple had to stop using Samsung as a manufacturer) though they're going to have to make it NOT look like a calculator watch. Also, those Android consoles aren't selling that well.

It was announced in one of the recent Nintendo Directs.
It was delayed. All their big releases have been delayed. Donkey Kong games have always been really hard. I'm not even sure those games AAA anyway - at least not like Mario. Maybe just single A.

As far as the Wii U goes, the 249.99 Buy.com eBay sale that I read about on the deals page is highly desirable. I think that's going to have to be the new regular price.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, they've been working on this for longer than that...
It's a first step, certainly. And a good one as well. A standard API in the iOS SDK for game controllers is a necessary step in promoting more console-centric controls for the platform. But it isn't enough. To really promote a controller interface, Apple must produce and sell their own controller. It doesn't have to sell big, and they don't have to price it to be competitive. They just need to put it out on the market as a guidepost for developers and third-party manufacturers. If there is an "official" Apple controller, the rest of the community will take controller-based game experiences more seriously on Apple platforms. Apple can charge $100 for their branded controller, it won't matter whether or not they sell a lot. It just has to be stylish and serve as a template.

The only alternative is for Apple to make a big marketing push for games on the Apple TV. Public perception is crucial for positioning products like this. It's part of the reason why the Wii U is struggling so badly. Nintendo failed to address the confusion and public perception of the Wii U. Half the people I've talked to assumed the Wii U was a tablet peripheral for the Wii. Nintendo failed to properly pitch it as a new system. Apple could position the next Apple TV as a game machine. But it will require the necessary advertising and promotion. If Apple really wanted to do this, they could. Their clout in the development community is substantial. They could easily persuade developers large and small to attempt developing and porting controller-focused titles to the Apple TV.

In the meantime Nintendo's real problem with the Wii U continues to be how they are presenting it to consumers.

It's a first step, certainly. And a good one as well. A standard API in the iOS SDK for game controllers is a necessary step in promoting more console-centric controls for the platform. But it isn't enough. To really promote a controller interface, Apple must produce and sell their own controller. It doesn't have to sell big, and they don't have to price it to be competitive. They just need to put it out on the market as a guidepost for developers and third-party manufacturers. If there is an "official" Apple controller, the rest of the community will take controller-based game experiences more seriously on Apple platforms. Apple can charge $100 for their branded controller, it won't matter whether or not they sell a lot. It just has to be stylish and serve as a template.

The only alternative is for Apple to make a big marketing push for games on the Apple TV. Public perception is crucial for positioning products like this. It's part of the reason why the Wii U is struggling so badly. Nintendo failed to address the confusion and public perception of the Wii U. Half the people I've talked to assumed the Wii U was a tablet peripheral for the Wii. Nintendo failed to properly pitch it as a new system. Apple could position the next Apple TV as a game machine. But it will require the necessary advertising and promotion. If Apple really wanted to do this, they could. Their clout in the development community is substantial. They could easily persuade developers large and small to attempt developing and porting controller-focused titles to the Apple TV.

In the meantime Nintendo's real problem with the Wii U continues to be how they are presenting it to consumers.
About the Apple stuff, a lot of that is speculation based on rumors and what they've been doing. They're not going to put out a 4k Apple TV that's 65" for $2,500 next year without some way to make money on it. Now I have no idea what 4k TV's are going to cost next year but you can bet that if Apple's planning on putting them out for 2,500 then everyone will because they'll have no choice. Now if Apple can sell that TV with the idea of making profits on the back end with iTunes then that's something that most manufacturers can't do and they'll really hurt the other guys that need profits (even if they're razor thin). Again, just speculation. One thing is certain, Apple will be putting something out next year that's not in a "product category" they currently have. Tim Cook outright said that.

so should we change this from "WIi U General Discussion" to "Blaster Man's personal stock report?"
I didn't buy Twitter, my limit was way below the price they sold for. I still plan on getting some, I think the price will sink over the next few months.

I agree that a lot of Nintendo's problem with Wii U is how it's presented. I still can't get over talking to a family member a few months ago who knew all about the Wii but didn't own one (not a gamer). I was told "I heard that Nintendo is putting out an iPad and it's got Internet". Even my brother who is a PC gamer didn't know WTF the Wii U was. I asked him about it and he literally hadn't heard of it.

If 'don't feed the trolls' was a real life term, Blaster man would be stuffed and ready to POP!!!!!!!!!!!! from all the responses ya'll keep giving. I found Ignore much easier. 

Really wish this section of the consoles would pick up so I don't have to go checking some Wii U forum.

<snip>

I disagree. A lot of people say Nintendo's problem is marketing, but all the marketing in the world can't change the product itself into something different; and in this case, the product falls short.

I dont think you have ever used a Wii U nor owned one so frankly, you're opinion doesnt have much merit.
I have used a Wii U, but thanks for your opinion on that anyway. You shouldn't automatically assume that everyone who tries a Wii U will love it, because that's just not the case.

I disagree. A lot of people say Nintendo's problem is marketing, but all the marketing in the world can't change the product itself into something different; and in this case, the product falls short.
The product in question is a video game system. It plays games just fine. It has a decent number of quality titles now. Games that are developed specifically for the hardware run great and play even better. There's no real problem with the product itself.

It's a combination of the mistakes in marketing, and the competition that the Wii U is facing. If the Wii U had been released in a vacuum, no one would have reason to complain. Taken on its own it is a fine video game console. But this is reality. And in its current context the Wii U had to launch against serious, entrenched, successful competition.

The PS3 and XBox 360 are a primary cause for the Wii U's distress. And why not? Both systems are comparable in general performance, have much larger and more robust catalogs, have substantial existing user bases, (important for multi-player focused titles) and are broadly supported by third party developers. And all of that is on top of the fact that they are also cheaper. And then you also have their successor systems on the near horizon. Anyone who expected the Wii U to make serious headway in this environment was deluding themselves.

Nintendo has a severe uphill battle ahead of them. It isn't because of their product, which is acceptable in its current state and can be constantly improved through firmware updates and software releases. It's because of the circumstances they find their product in.

The xbox 360 and ps3 are a good point but then again people almost exclusively buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo software. While you say that there is a lot out there, I actually disagree. What I see are a lot of niche titles and a new version of NSMB, Zelda WW remake, and a new version of the 3DS Mario. As far as I can tell, there is no Mario Galaxy game for Wii U.

The xbox 360 and ps3 are a good point but then again people almost exclusively buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo software.
And a lot of those consumers will be quite happy to pick up a Wii U, when the price lowers and the games they really want arrive. For many Nintendo systems have become the Mario Kart box, or the Smash Bros box. We'll see a sharp uptick in hardware sales when those titles arrive.

And I do agree that we have yet to see a title that really "sells" the Wii U. There have been several titles that use the hardware effectively. But Nintendo themselves have yet to release a game that defines the system. The new 3D Mario World title will likely be excellent, but still may not be the game to convince people that they must have a Wii U.

At the same time, I would say that there are plenty of solid experiences to be had on the Wii U at this point. Thanks to the poor initial sales, a lot of these games can be had for less. I wouldn't try to pitch the Wii U as someone's primary system. But it is still quite deserving, and well worth having.

And a lot of those consumers will be quite happy to pick up a Wii U, when the price lowers and the games they really want arrive. For many Nintendo systems have become the Mario Kart box, or the Smash Bros box. We'll see a sharp uptick in hardware sales when those titles arrive.

And I do agree that we have yet to see a title that really "sells" the Wii U. There have been several titles that use the hardware effectively. But Nintendo themselves have yet to release a game that defines the system. The new 3D Mario World title will likely be excellent, but still may not be the game to convince people that they must have a Wii U.

At the same time, I would say that there are plenty of solid experiences to be had on the Wii U at this point. Thanks to the poor initial sales, a lot of these games can be had for less. I wouldn't try to pitch the Wii U as someone's primary system. But it is still quite deserving, and well worth having.
I've always been a big fan of Mario Kart but the idea of the Gamepad is kind of a turn off. Mario Kart is a multiplayer game I play with friends and family. If someone get an advantage because of the screen on the gamepad such as a rear view mirror then that's going to be pretty lame. Mario Kart is NOT an asymmetrical multiplayer game.

I have used a Wii U, but thanks for your opinion on that anyway. You shouldn't automatically assume that everyone who tries a Wii U will love it, because that's just not the case.

Of course we should, because it's a great console. I have yet to see anyone IRL pick it up and not have fun with what the hardware offers. You just have terrible taste.

Of course we should, because it's a great console. I have yet to see anyone IRL pick it up and not have fun with what the hardware offers. You just have terrible taste.
Or maybe you just overlook the shortcomings of the console because you want those Nintendo games no matter what. That seems to be the general pattern for diehard fans; they automatically accept whatever Nintendo puts out because they just want more Mario, Zelda, DK, etc.

And pretty funny comment about me having "terrible taste", coming from someone with a godawful Billy Idol avatar, LOL! That is one ugly dude! :puke:

Or maybe you just overlook the shortcomings of the console because you want those Nintendo games no matter what. That seems to be the general pattern for diehard fans; they automatically accept whatever Nintendo puts out because they just want more Mario, Zelda, DK, etc.
I don't go to McDonalds for seafood, I go there for the fries. I don't go to Radio Shack for bed sheets, I go there for the transistors. I wouldn't buy a washing machine if I was trying to make toast. Of course I buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games. You don't buy a Microsoft system to AVOID Halo.

It makes no sense to try to hold this up as a negative. Nintendo is one of the most accomplished, veteran developers in existence. Their games and gaming hardware are known for exceptional design, quality and polish. Wanting Nintendo systems to enjoy Nintendo-developed games is perfectly rational.

As to the "shortcomings" of the system, the primary problem I've had is the slower-than-usual interface. I could do with a bit more polish in that department. Aside from that I haven't had any issues. The system itself is stable and quiet. The gamepad works well, and I've enjoyed several games that were designed with it in mind. I think most of the shortcomings you have in mind are simply comparative to it's competition.

Score! I just checked out the Wii Eshop as opposed to the WiiU one and noticed the previous owner downloaded F-Zero X, Mario Party 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario 3 and Sonic 2.

Score! I just checked out the Wii Eshop as opposed to the WiiU one and noticed the previous owner downloaded F-Zero X, Mario Party 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario 3 and Sonic 2.
Besides Sonic 2, all of those other titles were Club Nintendo rewards offered in the past. Could just be a coincidence, but I think that's funny.

Anyone play Wii Sports Club yet. I see potential in it but the lag online is tough sometimes.

I only played Bowling online so no lag issues for me.

This is what Nintendo should've filled the first half of the year with. Super fun.

:eek: it's amazing how the hipster trolls have any time at all to socialize or play games when they're online 24/7 just waiting for someone to post something about Wii U. :\ Then they bitch about the popular games on other consoles a few months after release. One day it's the bee's knees.. the next it's total mainstream garabe. e_e

I just picked up Earthbound on the Virtual Console and have been enjoying it. When my wife and I have company over, we often will play the "Sketch" multiplayer mode that's like Pictionary. We've also been slowly working our way through New Super Mario Bros. U. It's harder than the one on the Wii; if you could save (not just quick save) after each level instead of after every fortress or dungeon, we'd be playing that one more. 

I just picked up Earthbound on the Virtual Console and have been enjoying it. When my wife and I have company over, we often will play the "Sketch" multiplayer mode that's like Pictionary. We've also been slowly working our way through New Super Mario Bros. U. It's harder than the one on the Wii; if you could save (not just quick save) after each level instead of after every fortress or dungeon, we'd be playing that one more.
We had a friend over last night and played Sketch for about an hour. I FINALLY had a reason to draw a big dick for a clue, but I couldn't figure out how to draw the other clue to make "Shuttlecock" (yes, I know what a shuttlecock is but how can you get a prompt with -cock in it and NOT draw a giant penis?). My shuttle ended up looking like a malformed cinder block. We laughed our asses off when my wife got "Rodin's Thinker" as a prompt...well played Nintendo, well played.

I found NSMBU/NSLU much easier to play solo. The multiplayer is fun but it's too easy to mess up the other players and prevent making real progress.

Man... I was totally going to buy a Wii U last week but I missed out on that $250 Mario bundle deal and now I can't seem to be able to pull the trigger on it - I'm afraid once I do there will be another crazy sale I'll miss out on!  I have to get it before Christmas so there's no rush but I'd like to pay for it in November so it won't sting as much in December with all the other gift buying.

Man... I was totally going to buy a Wii U last week but I missed out on that $250 Mario bundle deal and now I can't seem to be able to pull the trigger on it - I'm afraid once I do there will be another crazy sale I'll miss out on! I have to get it before Christmas so there's no rush but I'd like to pay for it in November so it won't sting as much in December with all the other gift buying.
Wal-mart has a deal for the 32GB model with Nintendoland OR Wind Waker HD (pick one bundle or the other) and a $25 gift card currently.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Wii-U-32GB-Deluxe-Console-and-GamePad-w-Bonus-25-eGift-Card/31260509?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems?wmlspartner=FKSJxY2VJAk&sourceid=17536034764076956273&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

We've also been slowly working our way through New Super Mario Bros. U. It's harder than the one on the Wii; if you could save (not just quick save) after each level instead of after every fortress or dungeon, we'd be playing that one more.
I honestly have no clue why Nintendo kept the archaic save after Fortress / Dungeon from SMW in the new titles, it just doesn't make any sense. The Quick Save mostly keeps it functional, but it still is pretty asinine to not have the option after every level.

Of course in NSMB Wii you "unlock" the ability to save anywhere after you beat the game...

The product in question is a video game system. It plays games just fine. It has a decent number of quality titles now. Games that are developed specifically for the hardware run great and play even better. There's no real problem with the product itself.

It's a combination of the mistakes in marketing, and the competition that the Wii U is facing. If the Wii U had been released in a vacuum, no one would have reason to complain. Taken on its own it is a fine video game console. But this is reality. And in its current context the Wii U had to launch against serious, entrenched, successful competition.

The PS3 and XBox 360 are a primary cause for the Wii U's distress. And why not? Both systems are comparable in general performance, have much larger and more robust catalogs, have substantial existing user bases, (important for multi-player focused titles) and are broadly supported by third party developers. And all of that is on top of the fact that they are also cheaper. And then you also have their successor systems on the near horizon. Anyone who expected the Wii U to make serious headway in this environment was deluding themselves.

Nintendo has a severe uphill battle ahead of them. It isn't because of their product, which is acceptable in its current state and can be constantly improved through firmware updates and software releases. It's because of the circumstances they find their product in.
Is the Wii U a fine video game console though? I've been debating whether or not to pick one up since they sell for so cheap on craigslist but I fear the Wii U will be just like the 3DS. I bought a 3DS for $65 off craigslist earlier this year and I haven't turned it on since July. Nintendo IPs don't really interest me anymore and Nintendo IPs and some niche Japanese games are all the games the 3DS seems to get. The Wii U seems to be in the same boat and I think that's its biggest problem. Nintendo needs to branch out and make new IPs to try to appeal to a wider audience.

I don't even understand why Nintendo doesn't make new IPs anymore. They have plenty of money and they love wasting it on games no one is asking for. Seriously, why was Wario Land Shake it and Star Fox 64 3DS even made? The vita is selling pretty poorly but that hasn't stopped Sony from making both new IPs(PS All Stars, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway, etc) and established franchises(Uncharted, Wipeout, Resistance, Killzone, Little Big Planet, etc) for it. If Sony can do this for the Vita, I don't see why Nintendo can't do the same for their consoles.

Is the Wii U a fine video game console though? I've been debating whether or not to pick one up since they sell for so cheap on craigslist but I fear the Wii U will be just like the 3DS. I bought a 3DS for $65 off craigslist earlier this year and I haven't turned it on since July. Nintendo IPs don't really interest me anymore and Nintendo IPs and some niche Japanese games are all the games the 3DS seems to get. The Wii U seems to be in the same boat and I think that's its biggest problem. Nintendo needs to branch out and make new IPs to try to appeal to a wider audience.

I don't even understand why Nintendo doesn't make new IPs anymore. They have plenty of money and they love wasting it on games no one is asking for. Seriously, why was Wario Land Shake it and Star Fox 64 3DS even made? The vita is selling pretty poorly but that hasn't stopped Sony from making both new IPs(PS All Stars, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway, etc) and established franchises(Uncharted, Wipeout, Resistance, Killzone, Little Big Planet, etc) for it. If Sony can do this for the Vita, I don't see why Nintendo can't do the same for their consoles.

The Wii U is a fine system with some limitations that are very annoying in 2013 (see account system). Its biggest issue is that it offers little to nothing for the groups that love XBL and PSN and the games that leverage those platforms.

Regarding new IPs, there is a post that floats about highlighting that Nintendo has created over 50 new IPs since 2001. Recently they have created Crashmo/Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, and Steel Diver on the 3DS. Now, those may not be your cup of tea (I think I'm the only person who liked Steel Diver), but while its true that Nintendo keeps its stalwarts about, it isnt beyond making a new IP if the mechanics justify doing so or perhaps on a whim.

Nintendo IPs don't really interest me anymore and Nintendo IPs and some niche Japanese games are all the games the 3DS seems to get.
Heh. That's pretty much all I play.

Nintendo has made a bunch of new IPs. Problem is they are either Japan-only or download-only.

Nintendo IPs don't really interest me anymore and Nintendo IPs and some niche Japanese games are all the games the 3DS seems to get. The Wii U seems to be in the same boat and I think that's its biggest problem. Nintendo needs to branch out and make new IPs to try to appeal to a wider audience.
If the games that Nintendo is known for producing don't appeal to you, then no, you probably shouldn't acquire a Wii U. If their style of game isn't your cup of tea, there's nothing wrong with giving their current hardware iteration a pass. Different strokes for different folks.

It is important to differentiate this distinction from the quality of the system, or from "IP" as you put it.

Looking at a hardware platform separate from it's content offerings will tell you about the quality of it's design. In this regard the Wii U is at least above average. The biggest issues it has are in its on-line server and interface features, and some of the more annoying quirks of its firmware interface. All of those flaws can be fixed or at least refined post-launch through software updates. Expected improvements and refinements to its on-line services are both possible and likely. (though it could take them awhile) As a hardware platform for playing games, the Wii U is a very quality system. The design is stable and performs well. The gamepad behaves as expected, and offers numerous gameplay possibilities. It's a fine system. The issue at the moment is that it simply hasn't gotten very many games. (and only a few of those have used it's features properly)

The IP issue is also one to be cautious in defining. Nintendo's IP doesn't have to appeal in order for their games to work. Nintendo uses their powerful IP as a way of enticing players who are either young, or grew up with Nintendo when they were young. And in that regard it works quite well. But the real development strength of Nintendo has been in core gameplay experiences. They simply use their IP as a coat of paint for these excellent mechanics. We've seen numerous examples in the past. But it isn't the Mario/Zelda/Kirby veneer that makes these games exceptional. They stand just fine on their own. Give them a different IP and they would still be great games.

Most people who are clamoring for new IP are just looking for a new veneer more in keeping with their current tastes. This is a short-term solution, and not really worth pursuing.

As to the "shortcomings" of the system, the primary problem I've had is the slower-than-usual interface. I could do with a bit more polish in that department. Aside from that I haven't had any issues. The system itself is stable and quiet. The gamepad works well, and I've enjoyed several games that were designed with it in mind. I think most of the shortcomings you have in mind are simply comparative to it's competition.
Well, yeah. When competitors set standards that gamers expect out of their consoles, they tend to not like it when the Wii U ignores that stuff. The big thing is the lack of an account system to tie the 3DS and Wii U together into an actual ecosystem rather than two completely separate platforms and there are plenty of other smaller issues that add up to an experience that should be a much better experience if they paid attention to what worked with the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Well, yeah. When competitors set standards that gamers expect out of their consoles, they tend to not like it when the Wii U ignores that stuff. The big thing is the lack of an account system to tie the 3DS and Wii U together into an actual ecosystem rather than two completely separate platforms and there are plenty of other smaller issues that add up to an experience that should be a much better experience if they paid attention to what worked with the Xbox 360 and PS3.
Fair enough. But again, that doesn't make the Wii U a bad system, or a poorly designed system. It simply makes it a much different experience and a much harder sell than the PS3 or 360. And as I've stated numerous times, that's one of the primary issues that the Wii U is currently facing. It isn't a bad video game console. It's simply facing a staggering amount of highly polished competition. And Nintendo's behind-the-times view of on-line integration clearly isn't helping.

As it stands, Nintendo needs to drastically improve their marketing for the system, and they need a definitive title that they can use to push the hardware. If they can bring some of the games people want, consumers will buy the system just to enjoy those titles. At the same time, Nintendo needs to seriously scale back their sales projections. Given the circumstances, the Wii U has almost no chance of replicating the Wii's level of success. (not without some unforeseen windfall) The competition its facing is just far too aggressive.

On top of the expansion of the tablet market, and the entrenched competition from the 360 and PS3, you have to layer on the coming aggression of the PS4 and XBox One. Both Microsoft and Sony were careful not to price themselves out of competition, and have made some very careful decisions to help place their next-gen offerings well. Even with some of the reveal blunders, I would say that neither company has made any major mistakes leading up to launch. The PS4 and XBox One are both going to be decently strong competitors initially, and this trend will only continue through 2014.

It's nice hardware for sure. But if you're not into Nintendo games, and your 3DS has gathered dust (in 2013 when it's had a lot of highly reviewed games coming out), then it's clear your just not into their games. Thus no reason to buy one as the only reason to get a Wii U is to play Nintendo games since third party support is so sparse--particularly with exclusives.

Nothing wrong with that. As Richard noted, different strokes for different folks.

Yeah, the lack of an account system is a bummer. VC games should be cross purchase with 3DS, games should be tied to your account rather than hardware so you can get your games back easily if you break/lose/have your console/3DS stolen etc.

As is, I'm just very reluctant to buy games digitally on Wii U or 3DS.

If the games that Nintendo is known for producing don't appeal to you, then no, you probably shouldn't acquire a Wii U. If their style of game isn't your cup of tea, there's nothing wrong with giving their current hardware iteration a pass. Different strokes for different folks.

It is important to differentiate this distinction from the quality of the system, or from "IP" as you put it.

Looking at a hardware platform separate from it's content offerings will tell you about the quality of it's design. In this regard the Wii U is at least above average. The biggest issues it has are in its on-line server and interface features, and some of the more annoying quirks of its firmware interface. All of those flaws can be fixed or at least refined post-launch through software updates. Expected improvements and refinements to its on-line services are both possible and likely. (though it could take them awhile) As a hardware platform for playing games, the Wii U is a very quality system. The design is stable and performs well. The gamepad behaves as expected, and offers numerous gameplay possibilities. It's a fine system. The issue at the moment is that it simply hasn't gotten very many games. (and only a few of those have used it's features properly)

The IP issue is also one to be cautious in defining. Nintendo's IP doesn't have to appeal in order for their games to work. Nintendo uses their powerful IP as a way of enticing players who are either young, or grew up with Nintendo when they were young. And in that regard it works quite well. But the real development strength of Nintendo has been in core gameplay experiences. They simply use their IP as a coat of paint for these excellent mechanics. We've seen numerous examples in the past. But it isn't the Mario/Zelda/Kirby veneer that makes these games exceptional. They stand just fine on their own. Give them a different IP and they would still be great games.

Most people who are clamoring for new IP are just looking for a new veneer more in keeping with their current tastes. This is a short-term solution, and not really worth pursuing.
I don't think the Wii U appealing to just Nintendo fans affects the quality of the system. Its just a weird strategy for them to take because they tried this before with the gamecube which didn't turn out well for them. The Wii was a success because it was designed to appeal to a wide audience so its just really strange for Nintendo to move away from that philosophy.

To me the Wii U is like the Nvidia Shield. Its not a bad product, its just designed for a very niche audience. I wouldn't classify it as a fine video game console unless you included an asterisk that said "Only if you like Nintendo games". Maybe we have different definitions of what a fine video game console is but to me its just a console that anyone with the smallest interest in video games could buy and be satisfied. If I bought a Wii U for any of my brothers who game casually they would sell it immediately once they realized they can't play the latest Madden and NBA 2k games on it.

I disagree about Nintendo IPs being great games on their own. Honestly I don't even consider Nintendo a great developer which is why I have little interest in their games. All of the Nintendo games that generate great praise are based on beloved franchises. Nintendo has yet to make a new game that generates the same amount of praise a new Zelda or Mario game does. Something a great developer like Bioware or Naughty Dog always does with every new game they make. Until Nintendo can do that all I see them as is a developer that makes "great" games based on franchises people already love. When they aren't making games based on beloved franchises they are making games like Pikmin, Endless Ocean, Golden Sun, Baten Kaitos, Wii Play/Sports/Fit/Music, Nintendo Land, etc. Not bad games by any means but I wouldn't call any of them great.

For me personally I want new IPs because you can only play Pokemon or Mario Kart so many times before you get tired of it. I was playing Puppeteer not to long ago on PS3 and that game is what I envisioned new IPs from Nintendo to be like. A game that is completely unique yet follows Nintendo troupes of being family friendly and not being too difficult. I want to see Nintendo make stuff like that and not try to compete with the Halo's or Uncharted's of the other two platforms.

I feel like I'm being overly critical of Nintendo but I'm just trying to find interest in the console for myself. I just bought a Wii U last week for my parents for christmas and I have been messing around with it. The hardware is fine but if I bought one for myself I don't even know what game I'd get with it.

MetalSlugger said:
Anyone planning on grabbing Wii Sports Club Bowling or Tennis tomorrow? I just did get a $5 credit from Digital Deluxe so I'll grab Bowling for sure.
Now this here points to Nintendo's lack of marketing. This post I several days old and I didn't even realize these games were available yet! I'll probably grab bowling.

Blaster man said:
I've always been a big fan of Mario Kart but the idea of the Gamepad is kind of a turn off. Mario Kart is a multiplayer game I play with friends and family. If someone get an advantage because of the screen on the gamepad such as a rear view mirror then that's going to be pretty lame. Mario Kart is NOT an asymmetrical multiplayer game.
You have the wrong idea here. Mario Kart will be awesome, if, as I expect, they allow one player to use the gamepad and another to use the TV full-screen. That is one of the best and most underappreciated advantages of the gamepad: two people can get full-screen views. Mario Kart on the GC and Wii was fun - but splitting up the view is always pretty annoying to me as I find it much harder to play that way. When I got around to unlocking everything in the GC version I had to do it solo since the expanded view is critically important for the harder races. Now on the Wii U I can play with my son and still enjoy the full view. And I wouldn't say the Gamepad user has the advantage in that case - it is the guy who gets the big screen TV to himself. Fortunately for me, my son prefers to use the pad, so I'll get the TV ;).

I don't think the Wii U appealing to just Nintendo fans affects the quality of the system. Its just a weird strategy for them to take because they tried this before with the gamecube which didn't turn out well for them. The Wii was a success because it was designed to appeal to a wide audience so its just really strange for Nintendo to move away from that philosophy.

I feel like I'm being overly critical of Nintendo but I'm just trying to find interest in the console for myself. I just bought a Wii U last week for my parents for christmas and I have been messing around with it. The hardware is fine but if I bought one for myself I don't even know what game I'd get with it.

To the first, they didn't intentionally do this (focus on only Nintendo fans). They though the gamepad, Nintendoland, the TVii feature etc. would appeal to a broad audience just like the Wii did, and that people who bought the Wii would snap up the Wii U. It just didn't pan out. A lot of that audience is still fine with the Wii, or doesn't care anymore as the Wii got stuck in a closet or given away ages ago.

To the second, you should have to try to find interest in a game console. If it's not there, it's not there and you'd regret the purchase. So time to just forget about it and focus on the consoles you enjoy.

Here's what I don't get, Nintendo makes "Nintendo games" which are typically thought of as games that are made for all ages.  They rarely make new IP's and even though they've put out a couple of them, most people would still consider that "no new IP's" as most companies have no problem pumping out new IP's until until one sticks.

The idea that Nintendo has to continue making Nintendo's typical cutesy games (Hey Mario that meanie head dragon kidnapped the princess again, put on your raccoon suit and fly to the creepy cookie caves and save her!) is just wrong.  Look at Disney, they have Touchstone, Marvel Studios, and some others that NEVER list Disney on them.  They're Disney movies but they're not "Disney".  Why can't Nintendo....oh...buy Take Two and publish their games as Take Two instead of splashing the Nintendo logo up there?

Nintendo tried that with Conker's Bad Fur Day.  It wasn't publish by Nintendo, but actually by Rare in US and THQ in Europe.  However just about everyone just associate as a Nintendo game.

Because Japan doesn't really do that?

Also, I disagree with Pokemon getting old. Each game in the main series gets better and better and the game play mechanics are deeper than about 95% of other games, console or handheld. That's not even getting into Conquest, Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, or Rumble, which all play very differently from one another.

Nintendo tried that with Conker's Bad Fur Day. It wasn't publish by Nintendo, but actually by Rare in US and THQ in Europe. However just about everyone just associate as a Nintendo game.
Don't worry, if Nintendo makes GTA 6 a Wii U2 exclusive, no one would think that's a Nintendo game so long as they don't put their logo on the splash screen.

Because Japan doesn't really do that?
Also, I disagree with Pokemon getting old. Each game in the main series gets better and better and the game play mechanics are deeper than about 95% of other games, console or handheld. That's not even getting into Conquest, Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, or Rumble, which all play very differently from one another.
Personally, I have no opinion on Pokemon, those games have never interested me. I do wonder how long any particular game series can last. Most of Nintendo's franchises are 30 years old. Most really old things like Dr Who at least don't have the same plot every time.

Most of Nintendo's long runners have the same basic plot. The only differences are the game play mechanics, which in Pokemon changes drastically every generation.

Played Wii Sports Club bowling tonight - it is as fun as it ever was though I had a much harder time with it than I remember. I think that is due to the actual element of skill involved now that it is Wii Motion Plus enabled. I played the similar PS3 Sports Champions 2 bowling a few months ago and am able to rack up strikes in that pretty easily. The new Wii Sports is actually more challenging - though maybe I just need to get used to it. Now I have to decide if I want to buy one or both after my 24 hour trial is up. Even my 360-fanboy Nintendo-hating 13 year-old gave bowling a shot because of the nostalgia factor (he played the Wii a lot when we first got it when he was 6 or 7).

So, in other news, I got this hilarious package back from Nintendo. I had gotten an "order" notice from Nintendo and thought it must be my platinum club prize. I was wrong...  It was a box with a bunch of styrofoam peanuts, a packing slip, a note, and an empty CD case.  The case was the one I used to send my defective Pikmin 3 disc in.  The note said I would be receiving a "replacement component" from their corporate office.  So, yeah, they basically sent me an empty box via UPS with a note in it telling me they would send me the game later.  I just checked the email I got and it wasn't for this shipment - apparently it is for the Pikmin 3 replacement which should be here tomorrow.   Given that they are arriving justa day apart, that makes the box they sent today even more unncessary (if there had been a delay then the note at least would have had some value).  I got my 25 cent CD case back and a nice box I can use to ship something else later.  So it was OK with me I guess :lol:.

I took a picture of it but for whatever reason I can't figure out how to post it here.  I've done it before - not sure what the hell is going on with that...

Played Wii Sports Club bowling tonight - it is as fun as it ever was though I had a much harder time with it than I remember. I think that is due to the actual element of skill involved now that it is Wii Motion Plus enabled. I played the similar PS3 Sports Champions 2 bowling a few months ago and am able to rack up strikes in that pretty easily. The new Wii Sports is actually more challenging - though maybe I just need to get used to it. Now I have to decide if I want to buy one or both after my 24 hour trial is up. Even my 360-fanboy Nintendo-hating 13 year-old gave bowling a shot because of the nostalgia factor (he played the Wii a lot when we first got it when he was 6 or 7).
So, in other news, I got this hilarious package back from Nintendo. I had gotten an "order" notice from Nintendo and thought it must be my platinum club prize. I was wrong... It was a box with a bunch of styrofoam peanuts, a packing slip, a note, and an empty CD case. The case was the one I used to send my defective Pikmin 3 disc in. The note said I would be receiving a "replacement component" from their corporate office. So, yeah, they basically sent me an empty box via UPS with a note in it telling me they would send me the game later. I just checked the email I got and it wasn't for this shipment - apparently it is for the Pikmin 3 replacement which should be here tomorrow. Given that they are arriving justa day apart, that makes the box they sent today even more unncessary (if there had been a delay then the note at least would have had some value). I got my 25 cent CD case back and a nice box I can use to ship something else later. So it was OK with me I guess :lol:.

I took a picture of it but for whatever reason I can't figure out how to post it here. I've done it before - not sure what the hell is going on with that...
So...how exactly will try be sending the game disk...?

We had a friend over last night and played Sketch for about an hour. I FINALLY had a reason to draw a big dick for a clue, but I couldn't figure out how to draw the other clue to make "Shuttlecock" (yes, I know what a shuttlecock is but how can you get a prompt with -cock in it and NOT draw a giant penis?). My shuttle ended up looking like a malformed cinder block. We laughed our asses off when my wife got "Rodin's Thinker" as a prompt...well played Nintendo, well played.
Some of the words are pretty challenging. I got confetti once.

Ducktales physical disc is out at target now with the exclusive pin. I bought it with two other $20 games this morning with the b2g1 deal and returned the other two games this afternoon. I effectively got Ducktales for 13.50 on release day. Everyone is so tied up on the ps4 games at target right now that most stores around me still are showing stock. I know the ps3 physical versions sold out quickly.

Ducktales physical disc is out at target now with the exclusive pin. I bought it with two other $20 games this morning with the b2g1 deal and returned the other two games this afternoon. I effectively got Ducktales for 13.50 on release day. Everyone is so tied up on the ps4 games at target right now that most stores around me still are showing stock. I know the ps3 physical versions sold out quickly.
Forgot that was out today! You can play it on the gamepad, right?

bread's done
Back