Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Javery']Finally, the hardware itself is just going to be inferior after a couple of years and maybe sooner. No way around it. This is also troubling and will lead to waning 3rd party support when they can't just do a WiiU port. [/QUOTE]

Barring an unexpected development from the other two camps, Wii U will be supporting a standard rendering pipeline. Basically Wii versions of third party games had to be built 'from scratch' while Wii U games can be 'downgraded' in the visuals department.

So basically what this means is we should expect to see pretty solid third party support from Japanese studios with established franchises. We are already looking at MH4, Bayonetta 2, and DQX. I am expecting nothing but scraps from Western devs though. The days of a Nintendo (or any other company) machine being an 'end-all, be-all' like the SNES era are over for good though.

Saw this on another message board and found it an excerpt of it interesting. http://www.gamekult.com/actu/miyamoto-la-wii-u-et-le-secret-de-la-triforce-A105550.html

Translated:
Interviewer: After a quick survey on Twitter, one of the game French gamers miss the most is F Zero. Nobody really understands why Nintendo hasn't made a new one since 2004. Is there a chance we can see it back on Wii U?

Miyamoto: :eyes open wide: I am really pleased to hear Twitter's opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has little evolved.
I thought people had grown weary of it. I'd like to say: Thank you very much and try to wait by playing Nintendo Land's F-Zero minigame.
I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people: Why F-Zero? What do you want that we haven't done before?

Miyamoto doesn't know why it'd make sense to do an unimaginative or uninspired F-Zero and apparently doesn't know how to avoid that, but the Mario Karts continue to be doled out on a regular basis. :p Just give me F-Zero GX HD with online racing.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Miyamoto doesn't know why it'd make sense to do an unimaginative or uninspired F-Zero and apparently doesn't know how to avoid that, but the Mario Karts continue to be doled out on a regular basis. :p Just give me F-Zero GX HD with online racing.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, if Mario was driving one of those F-Zero cars we would be balls deep in sequels by now. I certainly don't need another F-Zero - what are they going to do better than the Wipeout series?

If Mario was driving an F-Zero car, he'd have to hold on to his hat, because those things go faaaasssst.

I'd suggest a change in headgear, but what do I know? I'm not a plumber.

I'm also waiting for the new Nintendo and everyones seems to yack about but there arn't any real informative sources? Paul says he heard from Peter, Peter says he heard from Paul however both dorks can't provide a source!......Dogma Man

[quote name='Javery']Believe me, if Mario was driving one of those F-Zero cars we would be balls deep in sequels by now. I certainly don't need another F-Zero - what are they going to do better than the Wipeout series?[/QUOTE]
Uh, gee, I don't know, show a map of the track on the controller while racing?

DAY 1!!

[quote name='dothog']If Mario was driving an F-Zero car, he'd have to hold on to his hat, because those things go faaaasssst.

I'd suggest a change in headgear, but what do I know? I'm not a plumber.[/QUOTE]

Mario wore a racing helmet in 3D Hot Rally for the Famicom Disc System (with 3D glasses)...

[quote name='madcatz1999']I think a lot of the multi-platform games/franchises will find their way onto the Wii U, at least until the next "next-gen" platforms come out (see Assassin's Creed, Black Ops, Batman, Mass Effect, etc.) .[/QUOTE]

Jury's out on who's actually going to buy a $60 version of a game that is under $20 on other consoles(and with superior online functionality).

I'm going out on a limb and going to say they all(at least the ones you mentioned) perform disastrously on WiiU. Black Ops and Assassin's Creed less so since they are still new, but I still think they'll sell miserably compared to their PS3/360 counterparts.

[quote name='elessar123']Technically, Xenoblade Chronicles is a first party title.[/QUOTE]

First party published but not first party developed.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']First party published but not first party developed.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo own 96% of Monolith now. Probably safe to call it first party.

[quote name='foltzie']Nintendo own 96% of Monolith now. Probably safe to call it first party.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, but at the time it was developed they weren't. It's basically the flip-side of saying Halo 1-3 aren't first party titles anymore because Bungie isn't owned by Microsoft anymore.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well yeah, but at the time it was developed they weren't. It's basically the flip-side of saying Halo 1-3 aren't first party titles anymore because Bungie isn't owned by Microsoft anymore.[/QUOTE]

Well Nintendo bought 80% in 2007. So...

Awesome, but I'm still waiting for IGN's unboxing today to solve the final mystery... does NintendoLand get a case or not?

I won't lie, this week has really hyped me up for the 18th. Fingers crossed for no problems.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't understand what the point is of the 2nd stand that doesn't charge the gamepad. Why not just play it on the charging stand?[/QUOTE]

May not have an outlet near your coffee table, plus the cord could be an issue.

But, if that isnt an issue for you, no worries, just use the charge cradle.

I think they are making a HUGE mistake with the branding and marketing of this thing. No one outside of us nerds knows that this is an entirely new console. It's just not easy to tell.

[quote name='Javery']I think they are making a HUGE mistake with the branding and marketing of this thing. No one outside of us nerds knows that this is an entirely new console. It's just not easy to tell.[/QUOTE]

I think there's a strategy here, but it hinges on a lot of luck. It basically boils down to:
  • The initial rounds of hardware will sell out given the holiday season and the cyclical nature of the industry relying on a hardware refresh every 5-6 years. This is also helped by fanboys/gamers/people who actually know it's a new (I said "good" here originally but that's the wrong word) console.
  • The above is bolstered by word-of-mouth where those initial consumers will show friends and family. This is almost EXACTLY what happened with the Wii, as I have clear memories of playing it with family at Thanksgiving a week after launch.
  • By the time Christmas hits, there will be a mad rush for it from kids and families scrambling to get one. The fervor continues until at least March 2013.
  • Notice also that Nintendo is NOT selling Gamepads individually right now, and haven't given a time when they will. This is to drive home that this is a new console, because there absolutely will be people "just gimme one of the new Wii controllers." It's strange that some games offer two pad support, but Nintendo isn't selling entirely because they can't afford the confusion. This has been quietly downplayed, but is arguably the cornerstone of the launch in terms of education.
  • There will probably be a big title announcement early next year, either from Retro or Monolith. I also suspect rumblings about Brawl will show up at E3. By that time, the public SHOULD understand the entire platform.

Any one of those things goes wrong, and/or the promotional materials aren't effective, and Nintendo is going to have another 3DS type launch on their hands. Unless the next commercials specifically point out this is a new console (since for some stupid reason the first one doesn't outright state this), they are obviously relying entirely on social networking type advertisement, hardware tours, and kiosks.

[quote name='Javery']I think they are making a HUGE mistake with the branding and marketing of this thing. No one outside of us nerds knows that this is an entirely new console. It's just not easy to tell.[/QUOTE]

2-3x price jump will make it pretty obvious.

Wii U account system and Nintendo Network ID detailed

November 7th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Austin, Posted by Valay, Wii U Satoru Iwata outlined how the Wii U’s account system will work during today’s Japanese Nintendo Direct.
One of the first things you’ll do on the console is make a user account. Up to twelve users with the own Miis can be registered per system.
Once created, you can tie-in game settings, save data, browser bookmarks, and play history to your account.
To get involved with features such as video chat, you’ll need a Nintendo Network ID. This is made up of a username, password, email, date of birth info, and gender. Downloadable purchases made by one Nintendo Network user can be played by other users on the same console.

[quote name='Strell']I think there's a strategy here, but it hinges on a lot of luck. It basically boils down to:
  • The initial rounds of hardware will sell out given the holiday season and the cyclical nature of the industry relying on a hardware refresh every 5-6 years. This is also helped by fanboys/gamers/people who actually know it's a new (I said "good" here originally but that's the wrong word) console.
  • The above is bolstered by word-of-mouth where those initial consumers will show friends and family. This is almost EXACTLY what happened with the Wii, as I have clear memories of playing it with family at Thanksgiving a week after launch.
  • By the time Christmas hits, there will be a mad rush for it from kids and families scrambling to get one. The fervor continues until at least March 2013.
  • Notice also that Nintendo is NOT selling Gamepads individually right now, and haven't given a time when they will. This is to drive home that this is a new console, because there absolutely will be people "just gimme one of the new Wii controllers." It's strange that some games offer two pad support, but Nintendo isn't selling entirely because they can't afford the confusion. This has been quietly downplayed, but is arguably the cornerstone of the launch in terms of education.
  • There will probably be a big title announcement early next year, either from Retro or Monolith. I also suspect rumblings about Brawl will show up at E3. By that time, the public SHOULD understand the entire platform.

Any one of those things goes wrong, and/or the promotional materials aren't effective, and Nintendo is going to have another 3DS type launch on their hands. Unless the next commercials specifically point out this is a new console (since for some stupid reason the first one doesn't outright state this), they are obviously relying entirely on social networking type advertisement, hardware tours, and kiosks.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with your points - especially the first three which HAVE to happen for this thing to take off. Risky if you ask me.

The fourth bullet point is telling though - and worrisome. If this is truly what Nintendo is thinking then shouldn't they have gone a different direction with the name? Even the part of the box that we can see in that unboxing video says:

..................U
Wii

Confusing!

Also, the design of the console itself looks exactly like the Wii which, in theory, is great because it looks slick and compact but in all of the commercials and promotional materials it would be easy to mistake the WiiU for the Wii - especially since the gamepad is always up front and more prominent. It really looks like an add-on.

How many people are going to be curious about one of the games they see and then go to the store expecting to spend $100 or so on the add-on only to find out they have to spend $350 on something entirely new. I want this to work - I really do - but I am just so skeptical and not because of the actual console itself but rather the way they have handled the publicity and launch.

[quote name='Strell']
[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting hypothesis, but I don't think it's the primary cause for this. It doesn't feel genuine, what kind of business entity says, "I've got it! We'll NOT sell them what they want!"

Granted, the effect of tying the tablet to the NEW console is an incidental educational benefit, but when did Nintendo ever balk at the opportunity to sell an accessory they've invested this much R&D in? If they had enough handhelds to sell to everyone who wanted 15 of them, they'd do it. But they're not doing that. Which leads to the conclusion that they're waiting on tablets, and they're not about to cannibalize console sales for the sake of accessory sales.

And none of that takes away from the strategy you've otherwise detailed. The only distinction I would make would be to call it "last-minute tactics" instead of strategy. I think it's clear they're not where they thought they would be in terms of unit production and title development, and as a result we have a "launch window" instead of a "launch date."

I've had my head patted in this thread that I should take it easy, that Nintendo knows what they're doing, but I think based on the tenor of the E3 announcements and the launch announcement, it's clear enough that Nintendo hasn't had a solid foothold on what to do with this console. That ties in with the Launch Window concept. The 3DS affair gave them a wake-up, and now they're feeling very uncertain. The strategy doesn't seem so much strategic as it does hopeful for a lucky break in both popularity and production.

[quote name='Strell']It's strange that some games offer two pad support, but Nintendo isn't selling entirely because they can't afford the confusion.[/QUOTE]
While the console itself offers support for two gamepads, I don't think there's been any games announced that are planning to support two, and Nintendo has said they don't expect any to until some time next year.

But yes, I do recall them saying that they're not selling them right now in order to avoid confusion -- not necessarily about it being a new console, though, but just because they don't want people buying two expecting to be able to use two.

[quote name='madcatz1999']But yes, I do recall them saying that they're not selling them right now in order to avoid confusion -- not necessarily about it being a new console, though, but just because they don't want people buying two expecting to be able to use two.[/QUOTE]

I just replied on this topic. The fact that there aren't any games that use 2 tablets as a reason to withhold tablet-as-accessory sales makes more sense than doing that as a kind of educational effort. I had forgotten that games that can use +1 tablet are still in the pipeline. It's a good point.

I'm still torn a little, because it's unlike any company, let alone Nintendo, to turn down accessory sales. But I can see how it might backfire on them if they're not supporting 2+ tablet use out of the gate.

[quote name='dothog']I'm still torn a little, because it's unlike any company, let alone Nintendo, to turn down accessory sales. But I can see how it might backfire on them if they're not supporting 2+ tablet use out of the gate.[/QUOTE]

With this system, Nintendo isn't treating the tablet controller as though it were an accessory. They consider it to be a part of the console itself.

The Wii U will still be a smorgasbord of accessory sales, just like the Wii before it. I'm sure most of you have noticed all the Wii U-branded Wiimotes that are showing up on store shelves already. Those are still being sold for $40 a pop, six years after the Wii launched. And the nun-chuck is still $20. No, the Wii U isn't going to be hurting for accessory sales.

The Thanksgiving angle is significant. This is part of the reason why I would consider picking one up at launch. The Wii was good fun for the whole family, and when I brought it to our families Thanksgiving and Christmas get-togethers, everyone had a good time playing it. Even my parents were able to enjoy Wii Bowling and Wii Golf. (who knew my mother would be such a deft hand at bowling?) The Wii U looks like it will also have a strong local multiplayer focus, which is perfect for family holidays. If I do splurge on a launch Wii U, that will be why.

[quote name='dothog']I just replied on this topic. The fact that there aren't any games that use 2 tablets as a reason to withhold tablet-as-accessory sales makes more sense than doing that as a kind of educational effort. I had forgotten that games that can use +1 tablet are still in the pipeline. It's a good point.

I'm still torn a little, because it's unlike any company, let alone Nintendo, to turn down accessory sales. But I can see how it might backfire on them if they're not supporting 2+ tablet use out of the gate.[/QUOTE]

I concur with that second statement, but I also believe Reggie has indicated that the Gamepad supply is a little constrained too.

So perhaps call it a happy coincidence, the current offerings mean there is no chance for someone to accidentally purchase just a gamepad and try to use it on a Wii, cant buy an extra gamepad and be unable to buy "two gamepad" games, and allows Nintendo to ship more complete Wii U systems.

[quote name='dothog']I've had my head patted in this thread that I should take it easy, that Nintendo knows what they're doing, but I think based on the tenor of the E3 announcements and the launch announcement, it's clear enough that Nintendo hasn't had a solid foothold on what to do with this console. That ties in with the Launch Window concept. The 3DS affair gave them a wake-up, and now they're feeling very uncertain. The strategy doesn't seem so much strategic as it does hopeful for a lucky break in both popularity and production.[/QUOTE]

I get a similar feeling at least with NOA, that they arent entirely certain how to pitch this system to a Western audience in love with iOS gaming and XBL/PSN gaming.

Nintendo clearly has been experimenting with asymmetric gameplay for years (GBA - Gamecube) (DS - Wii), but until now haven't been able to guarantee that experience in a way that didn't require two systems. However, they had also been playing with 3D systems for years and the resulting 3DS has had some stumblings.

Will be interesting.

Something I noticed in the unboxing of the Deluxe set: no game disc. So it would appear that Nintendoland is a download, presumably pre-installed. I don't have a problem with this, just noting it. Or maybe Iwata just forgot to show the disc.

@King Javery

The argument is that "Microsoft made the Xbox and Xbox 360 and no one was confused." But I generally view this as kind of weak for a number of reasons, mainly because A) the graphic leap was significant, B) it's marketing has always trended as more gamer-centric (although not so much the case since the release of the Kinect), and C) everything was redesigned aesthetically. I don't remember launch materials for it, so I don't know if it loudly talked about being a new console.

I also think the branding could have been changed a little. I posted this a while ago, but I think either "Wii 2U" or "Wii U2" would have worked, since they could focus on the "U" element while also up front declaring the system as a successor.

I also think there is a philosophical disagreement between Nintendo and everyone-else-at-large because Iwata/Miyamoto have repeatedly said that the system itself should be downplayed as part of the equation, which is why commercials and E3 materials don't showcase it directly. Hell, E3 2011 was crazy enough because they never SPECIFICALLY highlighted it. It wasn't until after that first video that everyone started trying to find out if it was a damn new console or not, especially when the first assets weren't a huge step above Wii level graphics (with all the focus on Wii Sports stuff).

@Dothoggamus

Fair enough. Strategy might be too strong. I think others gave some good points as well regarding the multiple Gamepad stuff.

There's also been some talk that there have been production issues arise in recent months, which is why Nintendo has said the system is now selling at a loss (which they've wavered on, but were adamant that this wouldn't be the case back in September).

I feel like I should be responding to more things but I'm a little tied up right now.

[quote name='Strell']There's also been some talk that there have been production issues arise in recent months, which is why Nintendo has said the system is now selling at a loss (which they've wavered on, but were adamant that this wouldn't be the case back in September).[/QUOTE]

Supply issues near launch isn't something that Nintendo is going to worry about. For them, it is much better to have too few consoles available initially than too many.

Strong sales out of the gate in the US would be bad for Nintendo, even if they had the supply necessary. With the strength of the yen against the dollar, the profits for Nintendo exporting their system to the US aren't nearly as high as selling the Wii U in Japan, or even Europe. (this disparity almost certainly figures into the whole selling at a loss angle)

If they over produce and the demand isn't as great as they anticipated, they get to eat the production costs of the unsold units. If they under produce, the worst case is that the demand becomes artificially inflated. This hurts them a from a PR standpoint, but only by a very small amount. This scenario involves lost potential sales, but is overall much less risky.

Your second point, about over- vs. under-producing, stands, I can see the sense in that. As for the first point, I'm by no means an economist, but this "strength of the yen" argument seems to me to be very exaggerated. Which is to say where's the USD to the JPY right now vs. time/point of manufacture? And if you're playing currency games, where do they manufacture the components, and what's the JPY doing relative to that local currency? I don't know, you may have a handle on this, but to me it seems like very touchy feeley, hand waving analysis.

If they had units to sell, they'd sell them. They're not offering up a boutique item, they want consoles in homes. Their sales are limited by production and not by some master strategy. They've underproduced for the reasons you mentioned (reinforced by the 3DS experience). They'd rather make people wait than eat a bunch of units they can't move, especially given that they don't have much of a sense of the market for this thing. The momentum from the Wii died off, and the 3DS response was tepid, so they're feeling in the dark on this one the way they were with the Wii. Let's hope the tablet catches on...

[quote name='dothog']
If they had units to sell, they'd sell them.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they would. However, they would very much prefer to sell them in Japan than they would in the US. Believe me, the whole yen vs. dollar issue is huge right now. Japan's economy is facing a pretty nasty economic crisis because of it. Japan as a nation exports a lot of products. While they are able to sell a lot of those products domestically, a lot more go overseas.

The US has become the biggest market worldwide for video game sales over the past decade and a half. Thanks to that, Nintendo can't afford to ignore the US, and has to commit a decent number of units to sell over here. At the same time, the US audience is considerably more price-shy than any other region when it comes to video games. As a general rule of thumb, we aren't willing to pay as much for our video game hardware. Nintendo can charge more for their hardware in Japan, and still maintain high sales. The same will not be true in the US.

The US is going to be a battleground for the video game industry in the upcoming console cycle. Japan already belongs to Nintendo, with Sony playing catch-up. Europe is a growing concern, but still doesn't account for as much market share as the US. With the uncertainty surrounding the Wii U, and the continued delay in Sony and Microsoft's next efforts, we're entering into a very turbulent time. This scenario could shake out in any number of ways.

Nintendo will attempt to produce and ship every Wii U unit they can. But if there are any hang-ups with manufacturing and supply is limited, the adverse effect will be quite mild. (and temporary) They are a bit uncertain of how this will work out, but then so is everyone else. If that wasn't the case, we would have already heard about the Playstation 4 and whatever Microsoft calls their next console.

Months ago I said No Friend Codes. Once again, I am justified. Unless you count Nintendo Network ID's as Friend Codes, which I'm sure you don't.

The Gamepad cradle makes the stand for the Gamepad seem really unnecessary after watching the unboxing video. I wish they would've spent their money on making a better stand for the console instead.

Really hope we get a case for Nintendo Land.

We do. Go check IGN for a US console unboxing video.

And I'm actually happy to have both. I won't be putting the charger near my bed/table, so it'll be nice to have a stand there too.

The problem with stands is that I know I'll probably want to get some kind of protective case for the Gamepad, which will almost assuredly not work with a stand. But oh well.

[quote name='Krate']Really hope we get a case for Nintendo Land.[/QUOTE]

Fairly sure US gets one of these; there are boxing videos out today that show Nintendo Land having a case.

Besides, wouldn't you rather have a crate? BWAH HAW HAW

[quote name='dothog']The internet needs to get in touch with N and explain the Yen situation to them. They're throwing away BILLIONS![/QUOTE]

I concur.

I'm certain Nintendo is very much looking to avoid a Saturn situation. Retailers are going to dedicate four to eight feet of space to Wii U, they had better have enough systems to help drive game and accessory sales. If this means allocating more systems to the US, so be it...

[quote name='dothog']The internet needs to get in touch with N and explain the Yen situation to them. They're throwing away BILLIONS![/QUOTE]

I think the reason is just that Japan cares more about handhelds.

bread's done
Back