Wii U - General Discussion Thread

I walked into a Toys R us and got a deluxe no problem. I bought ME3, Mario, FIFA 13 and Zombi. However I am waiting for the reviews before I open them up. I have a paid off deluxe at gamestop as well so I will have 2

3rd attempt on the update. Started it once, got in bed. Before falling asleep checked on it - errored. Started it a 2nd time, and went to bed. Woke up to it errored. Just resumed again (thank god it resumes), and am about 1/3rd of the way done with the download. Blergh. I have pretty fast internet too, so it's not me.

I can't figure out how to access my $20 I have on my 3DS Shop on my Wii U. I thought this was transferable? Am I missing something or am I wrong all together?

Just finished setting up my black Wii U. Everything's going smooth so far. It's a pretty nice system. I'll explore it further after taking a nap...the blasted system updates wore me out.

Is there going to be a separate thread for us to share our Nintendo Network IDs?

Forty minutes into the system update... WTF Nintendo. Other than that, console flippers were out in force, including one supreme jackwad who had over 15 deluxe sets preordered to flip. Ran into a couple more flippers at best buy. These guys suck.

[quote name='Scobie']Forty minutes into the system update... WTF Nintendo. Other than that, console flippers were out in force, including one supreme jackwad who had over 15 deluxe sets preordered to flip. Ran into a couple more flippers at best buy. These guys suck.[/QUOTE]

Meh. Next time people who show up at 5 minutes before opening should show up earlier. I did and I pre-ordered.

Got through the update, transferred my Mii over from my 3DS, and got my Nintendo Network name down (Almost changed the We in my name to Wii for fun, but decided against it lol)

[quote name='KingBroly']Hey guys, Nintendo is charging $0.50 to register a minor on Nintendo Network. Mad. Geniuses.[/QUOTE]

That way they can prove they have parental consent.

Genius.

[quote name='Scobie']Forty minutes into the system update... WTF Nintendo. Other than that, console flippers were out in force, including one supreme jackwad who had over 15 deluxe sets preordered to flip. Ran into a couple more flippers at best buy. These guys suck.[/QUOTE]

Yea but the joke is on them. I'm not seeing an ebay auction go over $500. After fees and shipping they are making probably

Cant figure out how to transfer stuff.

I downloaded the app rom the "wii" in the Wii U put when I put my card in my old Wii that app does not show up.

What if Nintendo released a console and nobody noticed?

I can't even find a substantial amount of gameplay videos on YouTube. I'm trying to find fan-uploaded Assassin's Creed III footage but no luck. Are videos still being taken down or do people just not care? The damn thing is out.

I don't care if the games aren't a huge step up graphically, but I do want to see if the games have more AA, AF and a longer LOD distance than the versions on current consoles. One thing that really bothers me about current games is how LOD distances are abused. In AC3 on Xbox 360/PS3, the "fade-in" is atrocious.

I temporarily moved my Wii U to my bedroom tv (which is closer to my router), and my download is going much faster. Kind of annoying it's having issues out in my living room. I don't really have the option of moving the router there, I'm stuck in my current configuration. I may have to look into an ethernet/USB converter, and just switch the one cable I have run out there for my PS3 (which was to speed up Media serving from my computer). We'll see how it goes after I update everything and get it up and running though.

Also I think my bedroom TV is too old to properly recognize this newer spec'd HDMI cable. My picture's all wonky. My other HDMI cables work, and the nintendo one works fine out on my newer bigger living room tv.

Download is going very slow for me as well. I just assumed it was due to the massive number of people trying to download on the first day so I'm just letting it go.

Has anyone downloaded a retail game from the eStore yet? Really curious if a game like NSMBU loads up faster on Download vs Disc. It should, but I'm wondering by how much.

As slow as the firmware/system updates are, I really fear what a game download would be like.

Enjoying Nintendoland thus far. I got Scribblenauts & Mario as well. I'm not sure how friend requests work with this console but my Nintendo Network id is Bezerker

I'm going to get some sleep

NN: KingBroly

I'll have to add you to. It's sorta like Friend Codes in that respect, but it's a lot easier to remember ;)

+ TV remote stuff is genius in my opinion
+ Nintendoland seems fun
- 2.5 hours of updates
- Lack of Sleep

[quote name='Spokker']What if Nintendo released a console and nobody noticed?

I can't even find a substantial amount of gameplay videos on YouTube. I'm trying to find fan-uploaded Assassin's Creed III footage but no luck. Are videos still being taken down or do people just not care? The damn thing is out.

I don't care if the games aren't a huge step up graphically, but I do want to see if the games have more AA, AF and a longer LOD distance than the versions on current consoles. One thing that really bothers me about current games is how LOD distances are abused. In AC3 on Xbox 360/PS3, the "fade-in" is atrocious.[/QUOTE]

I would not expect better, I would expect parity. Not at launch, at least. Just think of it as basically the same game but with game pad add ons.

is anyone playing Tank Tank Tank or Assassin's Creed 3?

I think Tank Tank Tank would be pretty light on content - at $30 I would buy it.
Just wondering if AC3 runs without major problems..

So really, how big is this day one update? Rumors say it's like 4.7 GB which A) I can't fathom seeing the PS3 never had anything that big and B) will basically ruin any plans I had on tuesday to do anything productive.

Actually wait, I lied. It will ruin my whole week because Tuesday I will spend all night downloading the thing. Wednesday I will not be home. Thursday-Sun no fucking clue what I am doing or in other words how much time will I be with my GF and not with the Wii-U, lol.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I didn't see a code in my box, and I only got 160 coins for registration. The Club Nintendo site shows 160 coins for both the base model and deluxe model, so looks like there is no additional points earned for buying the deluxe model.[/QUOTE]

I think if you buy Nintendoland seperately you get the Club Nintendo code. I'm guessing nothing for us that have the pack-in game.

Anyway, just finished updating. Took about an hour on a fast 4G LTE connection. So wasn't too bad. I made sure to connect it to my phone once I heard it was a 5 gig download. Miiverse keeps failing on me though. Says there is an issue with it and it won't start.

Set up my Nintendo Network ID as well and it all went fine. Confirmation e-mail and everything.

Nintendo Network ID: prjkthack

Thank Iwata for usernames. So happy I'm not giving out random digits.

[quote name='Bezerker']As slow as the firmware/system updates are, I really fear what a game download would be like.[/QUOTE]
I averaged about 5mbps during my download starting at about 11AM EST. Considering it's the first day, and they're probably getting swamped, that seems fairly reasonable to me.

it's a big update - they probably left it out of the system on purpose because a lot of systems won't ever be connected to the internet and that space can be used for saves instead.

Is there a way to set up a Nintendo Network ID without going through the Wii U?

Reason being, I'd like to get the ID I want but my Wii U is supposed to be a Christmas present.

[quote name='SteveGo']Is there a way to set up a Nintendo Network ID without going through the Wii U?

Reason being, I'd like to get the ID I want but my Wii U is supposed to be a Christmas present.[/QUOTE]

42 people suddenly rush to reserve "Dunedude" to screw you over.

My console updated in less than an hour. I went to work, got the small job done before tomorrow and came back all in 58 minutes and it was sitting there waiting for me.

It's a lot of fun. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Enjoying it so far. I picked up the cheap $39 external 750GB hard drive Target had in the ad and it is working fine so far on my WiiU. It doesn't have an external power source, but it seems to be getting plenty of power through the USB port.

Took over an hour for the update...and now each game is about 5 or so minutes. Oh well.

Pretty slick so far. Gonna play NintendoLand with the wife in a few.

Updating system took roughly an hour. My 8 year old boy loves nintendoland. The Mario chase mini-game is pretty fun. Impressed with nsmbu graphics and game play. Can't wait to play that more. The game pad is pretty slick. I'm impressed so far

[quote name='mikemgmve']I temporarily moved my Wii U to my bedroom tv (which is closer to my router), and my download is going much faster. Kind of annoying it's having issues out in my living room. I don't really have the option of moving the router there, I'm stuck in my current configuration. I may have to look into an ethernet/USB converter, and just switch the one cable I have run out there for my PS3 (which was to speed up Media serving from my computer). We'll see how it goes after I update everything and get it up and running though.

Also I think my bedroom TV is too old to properly recognize this newer spec'd HDMI cable. My picture's all wonky. My other HDMI cables work, and the nintendo one works fine out on my newer bigger living room tv.[/QUOTE]

You might consider one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315112

Receives the signal from your router and produces another hotspot. I share a router with my downstairs neighbors, and the signal to my PS3 was atrocious. Netflix couldn't do HD, and Mass Effect 3 kept kicking me out of online games because there wasn't a strong enough signal for EA's servers.

After setting up that device, I went from less than 1MB DL to almost 5MB on the PS3 connection test. I've connected my phone, Vita, and laptop to the hotspot, too, and it works fantastically. I scored it for $20 on sale, but honestly, it works so well that I'd have spent $40-50 on it.

i was wondering if anyone could help me out:

i set up netflix, but when i tried to turn off the gamepad, i couldn't get the wiimotes to work (i.e. sync, press play, etc.) anyone have this problem or know what to do?

Updated the console, reboot...now when I try to create an ID, the console gets to a white screen and doesn't move. Wii U logo is in the corner. Can't power off the console. What the fuck?!

Just pulled the power cable and tried again; gets stuck at the same screen! :(

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Watching Giant Bomb Wii U livestream. They said the frame rate sucks in Batman AC, just a heads up.[/QUOTE]

yeah, rocksteady and lazy ports seem to be a habit. The PC versions of their games are quite shit as well.

Ninja Gaiden 3 seems better than reviews claimed so far, but also getting some pretty noticeable slowdown on the Wii U version. Shame that a lot of 3rd party ports seem to be struggling.

[quote name='jer7583']I would not expect better, I would expect parity. Not at launch, at least. Just think of it as basically the same game but with game pad add ons.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. I think it would be a good idea to wait for more information the inevitable Zelda and proper Mario game. People like me can shit on the Wii U now but when HD Zelda is out we will break down. Playing Skyward Sword, I wished it was running at a higher resolution.

That really sucks Rig :(

jer good to hear about NG overall. With the rumored Sigma version down the road i'm going to hold out either way. Looks like sticking to first party titles is the best bet once again.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']That really sucks Rig :(

jer good to hear about NG overall. With the rumored Sigma version down the road i'm going to hold out either way. Looks like sticking to first party titles is the best bet once again.[/QUOTE]

I will update as I continue to play and I should note i selected Hard mode so maybe there are more enemies causing the slowdown but it seems to happen quite often in the middle of battles with 6-7 enemies. Otherwise the game looks really nice.

The game feels like someone trying to make a ninja gaiden game that doesn't quite know what they're doing, which is probably exactly the case. Still fun basic gameplay and controls.

It can claim to be the best launch 3rd person action game of all time, I suppose? I can't think of a competitor.

Well scratch using non powered hard drives. It worked fine for saving games, but trying to run a game like Nintendo Land with the 223MB patch on the drive caused an error that made me to have to unplug the system so Nintendo was very accurate with the fact it has to be a powered drive. Not too big of a deal since I have one of those, but I was hoping the much smaller non powered drive would work.

Damn, I can't get the system to let me register for a Nintendo Network ID. I'm dying to do my Wii ----> Wii U transfer so I can put the little white cube away in favor of the slightly bigger black cube.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So really, how big is this day one update? Rumors say it's like 4.7 GB which A) I can't fathom seeing the PS3 never had anything that big and B) will basically ruin any plans I had on tuesday to do anything productive.

Actually wait, I lied. It will ruin my whole week because Tuesday I will spend all night downloading the thing. Wednesday I will not be home. Thursday-Sun no fucking clue what I am doing or in other words how much time will I be with my GF and not with the Wii-U, lol.[/QUOTE]

The update is actually a little bit under 1GB. I checked my logs from last night, and it's somewhere around 0.88GB.

[quote name='Rig']Updated the console, reboot...now when I try to create an ID, the console gets to a white screen and doesn't move. Wii U logo is in the corner. Can't power off the console. What the fuck?!

Just pulled the power cable and tried again; gets stuck at the same screen! :([/QUOTE]

Damn. I've seen some reports that the update is bricking Wii Us, but hopefully you didn't have the same fate.

Lol. The Wii to Wii U transfer process just shit the bed on my Wii U and now I can't turn it off.

The screen says, "An error has occurred. Please turn off your console and try again."

EDIT - If I just lost over $300 worth of VC games I'm going to kill Reggie in his sleep tonight.

So, I downloaded ZombiU.

Gamespot is full of fucking shit. IGN too. Those fuckers have been playing too many shooters, so they didn't know this game was gonna be hard.

Interesting thing, though. Survival mode was unlocked from the start.

Took four or so tries before it let me make the account. Then the controller had to update. When the console rebooted after that, it stayed black screen. Ugh!

Had to pull the power...again!

When it finally came up, I checked the settings and headed back to the Wii Menu....where my console lovingly froze up again.

:(

Needless to say, I'm not off to a good start!

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Watching Giant Bomb Wii U livestream. They said the frame rate sucks in Batman AC, just a heads up.[/QUOTE]

And it was even worse in Epic Mickey 2.

I guess there's something about people not being able to transfer their logins from one system to another (ie like moving your 360 profile between consoles). You are locked in on the console you create the account on. You can delete the account, but after you delete it you can't just go to another console and recover it. It's gone. People are going to try to call Nintendo customer service to get their accounts moved (and even that hasn't yielded definitive results yet - I don't think their CS line is open on Sunday, at least not for the full day).

Not that this is gonna impact a lot of people, but just a warning in case anyone is planning on getting one later and sets up an account on a friend's machine or whatever.

bread's done
Back