Wii U - General Discussion Thread

I really like how smooth the disc feed on the system is (and the white light to indicate a disc is in the drive is a nice touch).

MY biggest concern about the system is the long load times on menues and some of the reports of textures not loading properly on some of the port games. I was expecting this thing to rocket around like a boss with it's SSD and the amount of ram it has.

Other than that- i'm still puzzled by the strange control layout sticks and buttons inverted from industry standard (why reinvent the wheel?).

Other than that, i'm enjoying it.

[quote name='bykfiend42']Oh no I just noticed $60 is the Wii U game price point.[/QUOTE]

Yep, though there are exceptions like the Sega Racing game ($39.99) and some others. Newegg had deals on Wii U game pre-orders, but those are over and I see nothing Wii U for BF.

[quote name='crunchewy']Newegg had deals on Wii U game pre-orders, but those are over and I see nothing Wii U for BF.[/QUOTE]

At the moment, one of the best deals on Wii U games is at Toys'R'Us, who are running a buy 1, get 1 40% off deal on all Wii and Wii U titles. 40% off of $60 is $36. Averaged between two $60 games comes to a price of less than $50 each. (not unreasonable for brand-new titles)

So far so good for my black Wii U. Phew.

Too bad Toys R Us doesn't offer a FULL selection of Wii U games. No Orochi. I'd have liked to take advantage of their B1G1 sale for such titles.

I'll keep my Wii available for PAL/JP games that don't have US counterparts so it's still of some use.

[quote name='nbballard']
Other than that- i'm still puzzled by the strange control layout sticks and buttons inverted from industry standard (why reinvent the wheel?).
[/QUOTE]

A, B, X and Y? They had this layout on the SNES.

Plus, this makes VC games from that era the same layout as they were/should be.

Just got my pre-order from Gamestop.com and got it hooked up. Downloading the update right now. In case anyone was wondering: I have a 3rd party USB ethernet adapter that came out for the Wii before Nintendo released their own and it works perfectly on the Wii U. I don't remember the brand though and it isn't labeled.

Also, while the update is downloading you can change video sources and it will still download and show the status on the Gamepad screen. So, you don't have to stare at the information screen on the TV for an hour+. I have a plasma, so I didn't want to leave it sitting up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pjarvi']Just got my pre-order from Gamestop.com and got it hooked up. Downloading the update right now. In case anyone was wondering: I have a 3rd party USB ethernet adapter that came out for the Wii before Nintendo released their own and it works perfectly on the Wii U. I don't remember the brand though and it isn't labeled.

Also, while the update is downloading you can change video sources and it will still download and show the status on the Gamepad screen. So, you don't have to stare at the information screen on the TV for an hour+. I have a plasma, so I didn't want to leave it sitting up.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to every console this gen? :?:

Picked up a pro-controller from TRU (only one left) with their 20% off coupon. Don't have any games for it right now, but in the future...

No accessories/covers/screen protectors that looked good at TRU. That Nerf one looks hideous to me. Gamestop only had that one, and the 'hard cover' which is only for non-use. But WalmArt had a ton of accessories. So I picked up one of the silicone sleeves. Looks and fits nice. We'll see if it lasts, or if I grow tired of it, as I do like the way the pad feels by itself, but it does get pretty unsightly. Also got the screen protector and applied it as best as I could.

Also, looking at the demo units at stores, those white pads don't necessarily hide the dirt or fingerprints, so I know people knock the black ones, and I was even considering trying to trade the pad at some point in the future.. but.. meh.

Here's a question, and it could be pretty dumb and I should probably know the answer, but the feature to play games solely on the controller.. is that really a FEATURE? Or is it a - you turn the TV off, or change input, and there you go? I.e. ONLY if the game duplicates the screen? meaning games that use both the pad screen AND TV are actually not playable solely on the controller? I'm getting the sense this is how it is, but I feel like I always saw in the trailers, the kid hitting some button on the screen to switch to wii-pad ONLY mode.. and that doesn't seem to exist, unless I'm blind.

Otherwise in love with the system. Had to hold myself back from buying more games, when Nintendoland, Sonic & Mario have plenty of hours to be spent. But i just want MORE MORE MORE!

[quote name='pjb16']Welcome to every console this gen? :?:[/QUOTE]

I've had devices go to sleep and/or lose their HDCP handshake when changing inputs. :booty:

I was thinking of picking up a pro controller at Best Buy today and had it in my hand. Then I realized that none of the 3 games I've picked up even use it (Scribblenauts, Mario, and Nintendo Land).

Also, my tracking updated earlier this afternoon and my deluxe is in a town about 2 hours away scheduled for delivery tomorrow. This wait sucks!

Wow, so I haven't really followed the availability of these at retail. But I was just in Fred Meyer and they had at least 8 of the regular ones. I found that somewhat surprising.

They also do not carry any sort of USB network adapter so I can't get my Wii transfer done and the system hooked up in the living room tonight. Yet another day where the Wii U sits unplayed in my office...

[quote name='strawyleader997']I don't know why people want to buy a Wii U when it will be worthless once the xbox 720 or the PS4 comes out.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why anyone would want a ps360 when a pc plays most of the same games and looks much better.

[quote name='Octopod']I don't know why anyone would want a ps360 when a pc plays most of the same games and looks much better.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I actually see more use for the Wii U than the marginally better PS4/720. We finally get Nintendo stuff in HD which is reason enough to buy one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm going to get that on the next Sony/MS systems. On the other hand, I can live with the current HD quality of the PS3/360 for a while - see no need for a new one of those any time soon.

[quote name='io']Indeed, I actually see more use for the Wii U than the marginally better PS4/720. We finally get Nintendo stuff in HD which is reason enough to buy one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm going to get that on the next Sony/MS systems. On the other hand, I can live with the current HD quality of the PS3/360 for a while - see no need for a new one of those any time soon.[/QUOTE]

I was just having this conversation with a friend. We both couldn't see what the point of the next gen for Sony/MS right now, as the current games look and play fantastic. Maybe consoles that can play in 1080P instead of being upscaled, with better textures and physics, but I'm content with what I have right now and don't see the next consoles as "must haves" on day one especially when first model PS360's were shit (RROD and then latter on YLOD).

The Wii U, on the other hand, fills a need: High Definition Nintendo games. That's all I need. The wants, like the GamePad and other stuff, only make it better. The GamePad TV remote function is f*cking genius, I didn't even know I needed something like that, but I absolutely do.

I'm curious about the transfer from wii to wiiu. Do you get to select the games you transfer over? I believe I had that option from the dsi to 3ds. Just curious even though I'm going to try to hold off on any new consoles for a few years.

I believe it's an all or nothing process. I didn't do it as I don't own any VC or WiiWare titles and I'd rather be able to use GameCube pads for the games that support them and have locked saves.

[quote name='mikemgmve']Here's a question, and it could be pretty dumb and I should probably know the answer, but the feature to play games solely on the controller.. is that really a FEATURE? Or is it a - you turn the TV off, or change input, and there you go? I.e. ONLY if the game duplicates the screen? meaning games that use both the pad screen AND TV are actually not playable solely on the controller? I'm getting the sense this is how it is, but I feel like I always saw in the trailers, the kid hitting some button on the screen to switch to wii-pad ONLY mode.. and that doesn't seem to exist, unless I'm blind.[/QUOTE]

Its a feature if the game developer decides to make it a feature. So its not a universal standard Wii U feature with a button you can push to switch between screens, its just one of the many ways that a developer can decide to use the Game Pad. If they want to make a button that lets you switch screens, then that's their decision. If they want to use the Game Pad to do other things but still require your TV to be used, then they can do that as well. Maybe both. All developer chosen options.

I have a deluxe model sitting unopened while I wait for the information to roll in.

I want to know if VC/Wii Ware games that previously supported classic controller input will be updated for the new game pad. I like the wii content transfer, I'm really glad they did that right.

One of the reasons I stopped playing my wii was because of the lack of HDMI and the goofy controller setup(s). I hated the teathered classic controller and most all games that used wiimote and nunchuck. They fixed one of those and I'd like to see older games given the option to use this cool game pad.

[quote name='hack']Its a feature if the game developer decides to make it a feature. So its not a universal standard Wii U feature with a button you can push to switch between screens, its just one of the many ways that a developer can decide to use the Game Pad. If they want to make a button that lets you switch screens, then that's their decision. If they want to use the Game Pad to do other things but still require your TV to be used, then they can do that as well. Maybe both. All developer chosen options.[/QUOTE]

I saw the kid hitting a button commercial too. I'm pretty sure, now that I know how it works, that he hit the TV button and used the gamepad as a remote to change input, and then kept playing on the gamepad screen.

They didn't show all of that in the commercial, but it would make sense if that is what they were trying to depict.

It's also possible the commercial's director and the actors assumed a button would e used to switch so that's what they did for the commercial, as usually in commercials the screen images are simulated.

[quote name='Octopod']I don't know why anyone would want a ps360 when a pc plays most of the same games and looks much better.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone is able to build a top of the line PC for $200.

[quote name='ZForce915']I have a deluxe model sitting unopened while I wait for the information to roll in.

I want to know if VC/Wii Ware games that previously supported classic controller input will be updated for the new game pad. I like the wii content transfer, I'm really glad they did that right.

One of the reasons I stopped playing my wii was because of the lack of HDMI and the goofy controller setup(s). I hated the teathered classic controller and most all games that used wiimote and nunchuck. They fixed one of those and I'd like to see older games given the option to use this cool game pad.[/QUOTE]

Believe it's all with Wii stuff, no pro controller support.

i always wanted hd mii's, not
i'll stick with my ps3 for a few years and then upgrade to a pc, newer gen systems don't sound good at all

[quote name='advanced']Believe it's all with Wii stuff, no pro controller support.[/QUOTE]

And that's why I'm waiting, want to find out if that changes.

[quote name='GBH']i always wanted hd mii's, not
i'll stick with my ps3 for a few years and then upgrade to a pc, newer gen systems don't sound good at all[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you thought we'd care?

Scribblenauts is fun, but even though they say it's got multiplayer, it really doesn't. The second players don't really do anything like the GamePad player.

[quote name='advanced']Scribblenauts is fun, but even though they say it's got multiplayer, it really doesn't. The second players don't really do anything like the GamePad player.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards Sonic. Craving a decent casual racing game. Last decent ones I played were Blur / NFS The Run on 360.

Disappointed that the Wii on WiiU setup maintains the 512 system limit. Going to have to keep an SD card in the Wii U for just a few games.

Ugh ... I love this system but am starting to really regret getting in on the launch of another console.

Every single time I try to play the Donkey Kong game on Nintendoland my console freezes and starts making a loud buzzing noise. Tried it 5 times in a row with the same results.

Did not have any trouble with Mario U but I was actually enjoying Nintendoland more. My console is out in the open and is getting plenty or airflow so I know that is not the issue.

Seems like I am gonna get stuck with launch console issues just like I did with my launch 360 and 60Gb PS3 :(

[quote name='mikemgmve']

Otherwise in love with the system. Had to hold myself back from buying more games, when Nintendoland, Sonic & Mario have plenty of hours to be spent. But i just want MORE MORE MORE![/QUOTE]

Yeah I had to hold back on buying more games myself lol. I just wanna start building my Wii U library

Anyone want to do me a favour?

It's pretty tricky to pick up a Wii U in China. I've tried a website called "Taobao" which is like eBay, but all of the sellers on there speak Chinese, and mine is quite limited. Plus, all Wii U's are about $400-$500 for the Basic Model.

If someone could pick me up a Wii U 8GB White model (US version) and ship it to me, I'd be thankful. Obviously, I'd pay. I have paypal, and everything.

If this is against the rules to ask, let me know. I plan on sticking around these forums, so I hope to not get in trouble.

EDIT: Meant to ask - Is there a VPN setting in the Wii U's network options? Is there any game demo's on the store (or free games?)

Tried out BlOps2, definitely need the pro controller, the Gamepad is just too distracting to use with it. Fired up Netflix and watching a movie on the Gamepad now while using the TV for the PC. So glad I bought this rather than an iPad. The only downside so far has been the noise of the disc drive, I got so used to installing games to the hard drive on the 360 that I forgot how loud discs can be.

Christ they need to get this unable to find internet connection bullshit sorted. Or at least not make me sit and wait while it can't find the internet, then wants me to make a new connection.

No stupid, the connection is there, you just can't use it for whatever reason. The same connection works just fine for this computer, the 360, the PS3, the 3DS, and everything else that I throw at it... *sigh*

I'm kinda surprised there are no apps to take pics or video or listen to music. Not sure I'd ever use those features, but maybe they will come one day.

[quote name='EXStrike']There aren't any demos on the eShop atm[/QUOTE]

Alright. What about free games?

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Ugh ... I love this system but am starting to really regret getting in on the launch of another console.

Every single time I try to play the Donkey Kong game on Nintendoland my console freezes and starts making a loud buzzing noise. Tried it 5 times in a row with the same results.

Did not have any trouble with Mario U but I was actually enjoying Nintendoland more. My console is out in the open and is getting plenty or airflow so I know that is not the issue.

Seems like I am gonna get stuck with launch console issues just like I did with my launch 360 and 60Gb PS3 :([/QUOTE]

My console just did this while playing the F-Zero game. A few seconds before I had hit the "camera" button on the touch screen. Had to pull the power cord to shut it down. :/

Someone already managed to grab "Xscapist." Meanie. :whistle2:(

So when setting up the Wii U initially has anyone had it refuse to display when 1080p is selected as the option, only displaying in 1080i?

I have to say for all the praise Nintendoland has gotten as being "the best launch game" it's easily my least favorite. I really don't like playing games that focus almost completely on the GamePad. I didn't buy a home console and 55" HDTV to play on a 480p poor contrast ratio screen in my controller. It's like why even have the TV on at that point? I much prefer ZombiU and NSMBU. I really hope the trend of games that play mostly on the pad doesn't continue... I have a 3DS & iPad if I want to play a handheld.

I like when the screen is used optionally or as a map, quick item select, ect. Not when I have to use it a gyroscopic camera control, or it's the main focus. Feels too gimmicky.

I'm finding myself only looking at the gamepad for Mario & Scribblenauts even though im 10 ft away from my 52" tv. For Scribblenauts, its kinda required to look at it for the menus unless you want to try and "feel it out" when it comes to finding all the icons on the tv.

The Pikmin game in Nintendoland is a lot of fun and the only "attraction" i've played almost to completion. I never got into the 2 Pikmin games that are already out but if the action is anything like the minigame, i'll be getting 3 for sure.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I have to say for all the praise Nintendoland has gotten as being "the best launch game" it's easily my least favorite. I really don't like playing games that focus almost completely on the GamePad. I didn't buy a home console and 55" HDTV to play on a 480p poor contrast ratio screen in my controller. It's like why even have the TV on at that point? I much prefer ZombiU and NSMBU. ...[/QUOTE]

It seems like the primary focus of NintendoLand is to show people what their new system and gamepad are capable of. ZombiU is a little too violent for a pack-in game and NSMBU is a strong enough title that Nintendo can easily get away with selling it for an additional $60.

[quote name='Rig']My console just did this while playing the F-Zero game. A few seconds before I had hit the "camera" button on the touch screen. Had to pull the power cord to shut it down. :/[/QUOTE]

Same here. You can't even shut down the system you actually have to pull the plug from the wall to reboot the machine. Seriously thinking about taking mine back if Nintendo does not acknowledge the issue soon and at least say they are working on a resolution.

Doesn't seem like an overly common problems but there are definitely enough people experiencing it that they should at least say if its something that can be addressed with an update or if it should be returned/sent in for repairs.

I won't be opening my Wii U until Christmas, but I'm trying to study up..have you guys already discussed transferring Wii content to the Wii U? I have watched a few videos and read a few articles. My only thoughts are: I have a majority of WiiWare stuff on the SD card already in the Wii, should I transfer all this back to the console and essentially have a blank SD card? also, the Wii is upstairs, and Wii U will be downstairs, it doesn't look like they have to be next to each other, just both be on the internet..is this true? I don't mind running back and forth a few times..

thanks for the advice, I had to tuck the box in a storage bin in my guest room and shut the door so I don't think about it! I wanted to plug it up to at least test it and box it back up, but got denied by the 'boss of the house'!

edit: this also great that you can do this b/c my launch day Wii has $500 worth of WiiWare on it, but a bum disc drive that crashes every game after 30 mins of play time. Its been a paperweight, and been using a second system I got from my father. Nice to know that some of the original stuff can be salvaged :)

[quote name='token2k6']I won't be opening my Wii U until Christmas, but I'm trying to study up..have you guys already discussed transferring Wii content to the Wii U? I have watched a few videos and read a few articles. My only thoughts are: I have a majority of WiiWare stuff on the SD card already in the Wii, should I transfer all this back to the console and essentially have a blank SD card? also, the Wii is upstairs, and Wii U will be downstairs, it doesn't look like they have to be next to each other, just both be on the internet..is this true? I don't mind running back and forth a few times..

thanks for the advice, I had to tuck the box in a storage bin in my guest room and shut the door so I don't think about it! I wanted to plug it up to at least test it and box it back up, but got denied by the 'boss of the house'!

edit: this also great that you can do this b/c my launch day Wii has $500 worth of WiiWare on it, but a bum disc drive that crashes every game after 30 mins of play time. Its been a paperweight, and been using a second system I got from my father. Nice to know that some of the original stuff can be salvaged :)[/QUOTE]

You won't have to run back and forth, you just prep the SD card on the Wii U, move it over to the Wii, and then once the data has been dumped to the card you walk back to the Wii U and put the card in there and it transfers the data.

Anybody have some good suggestions for external storage? I'm not looking for a giant 1TB HDD or anything like that, but something much smaller. Will a regular old USB Stick work? I don't have a ton of space for a HDD drive, so I was just looking at a USB stick to have plugged in at all times. Thanks.

I gotta say, now that the MiiVerse is open, it's really entertaining to see the comments and drawings peope are making. I spent an hour last night just browsing the different communities!

They don't recommend flash drives because of "flash media having a limited number of writes", but I don't think they actually stop you from using them. I find their concern about the "limited writes" sort of odd, though, seeing how the internal storage is flash. ???

bread's done
Back