Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='ZForce915']The only way this would change is if the VC games increase in size by a lot.[/QUOTE]

It seems like Gamecube games will eventually hit the Wii U VC. Those can max out at 1.5GB each. Given Sega's support for the VC hopefully we'll end up seeing some Dreamcast games at some point.

The only thing that concerns me is Nintendo's rather steep prices when it comes to VC. If they're asking $8 for SNES games and $10 for N64 games, then they might be asking $15 or more for Gamecube games.

[quote name='foltzie']But there isnt an industry standard, the 360 and DS3 controllers each have differently placed analog sticks on the left side.

As for which layout is best, it would depend on the games being played, but I think reaching down for the button cluster is easier than reaching up and my experience with the Wii U Gamepad feels much more intuitive than when I use the 360 controller.

Of course, this all assumes you think you need dual analog sticks of the same size. The Gamecube controller didn't have them and worked well enough, but it had a lot of decisions that have since been abandoned...[/QUOTE]

The face buttons on the right side are specifically what I'm talking about. It's not a huge deal. The main pad does feel a bit spread out though. It just feels like there is a real stretch when trying to use the R triggers and A & B. I don't think everyone should be forced into the same mold. The 64/cube controls were awesome, I just expected after 2 iterations of the classic controller that they shared the same design philosophy as Sony and Microsoft.

ZombiU even uses the upper-most face button for a lot of its actions, and I can't help but think its because of the layout.

[quote name='ZForce915']I'm not sure why everyone is rushing to put huge HDDs on their WiiU. My Wii was supported by a 2GB SD card for the life of the system. Having 32GB when I know damn well I'm not buying full retail games digitally seems like enough. We are CAG, and we know the best deal will come from buying at retail.

The only way this would change is if the VC games increase in size by a lot.[/QUOTE]

I think that games downloaded on the Wii U will only run off of powered HDDs or if you're lucky, a low power drawing HDD or thumb drive. I don't think Virtual Console games will run off an SD card, except those downloaded and played through the Wii emulator.

I bought the Basic model because the Wii U won't be my primary system, but if i do end up liking/buying full games or Virtual console titles, it's nice to know what options are available to save and play them.

I don't see the need to buy more storage now unless you want to download full retail games. Then you're going to need to get an HDD. Are full retail games available via the eshop yet? I don't know as our Wii U is for Xmas. Though I'll probably fire it up and update a week before Xmas or so.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't see the need to buy more storage now unless you want to download full retail games. Then you're going to need to get an HDD. Are full retail games available via the eshop yet? I don't know as our Wii U is for Xmas. Though I'll probably fire it up and update a week before Xmas or so.[/QUOTE]

Yes quite a few retail games are available digitally. Honesty right now is the best time to buy an external HDD since you have the Black Firday/Cyber Monday deals going on and a few places have external HDDs on sale for that or this week.

I am enjoying having the 1 terabyte HDD that I got for $20, just in case I ever do need that much memory but for $20 why wait to get it later. Of course I do only have a 8gb system though.

[quote name='clonesniper666']
I am enjoying having the 1 terabyte HDD that I got for $20[/QUOTE]

Still available? Link? Did you mug someone? It's cool if you did, I won't tell. I don't know if I'd trust other people in this thread though.

[quote name='Strell']Still available? Link? Did you mug someone? It's cool if you did, I won't tell. I don't know if I'd trust other people in this thread though.[/QUOTE]

Nah bought mine from a friend but Walmart does have a 1 terabyte HDD for $59 Black Friday. Target also has a 750 gigabyte for $39 this week.

[quote name='Thrinn']It seems like Gamecube games will eventually hit the Wii U VC. Those can max out at 1.5GB each. Given Sega's support for the VC hopefully we'll end up seeing some Dreamcast games at some point.

The only thing that concerns me is Nintendo's rather steep prices when it comes to VC. If they're asking $8 for SNES games and $10 for N64 games, then they might be asking $15 or more for Gamecube games.[/QUOTE]

15$ isn't too much depending on the game. First party games for 15 $ might not be too bad when you look how much the price for them being inflated is. I am mostly talking about Mario and Fire Emblem.

[quote name='clonesniper666']Nah bought mine from a friend but Walmart does have a 1 terabyte HDD for $59 Black Friday. Target also has a 750 gigabyte for $39 this week.[/QUOTE]

Is the Target one a BF deal? I don't see any $39 USB HDDs of any size at Target.com right now.

[quote name='nbballard']The face buttons on the right side are specifically what I'm talking about. It's not a huge deal. The main pad does feel a bit spread out though. It just feels like there is a real stretch when trying to use the R triggers and A & B. I don't think everyone should be forced into the same mold. The 64/cube controls were awesome, I just expected after 2 iterations of the classic controller that they shared the same design philosophy as Sony and Microsoft.

ZombiU even uses the upper-most face button for a lot of its actions, and I can't help but think its because of the layout.[/QUOTE]

Agreed completely, I assume that for FPS games that using the shoulder buttons for primary actions is call most devs will make and reserve the cluster for secondary actions.

I know the old Wiimotes with motion plus built in works with the Wii U, but I haven't really seen anyone talk about Wii-Motes with the Motion-Plus dongle, do those work as well? I have about 3 Wii-motes with the dongle, and just dropped $25 at TRU for my second FlingSmash box, but if the other ones work, I might save the $25 for something else..

[quote name='token2k6']I know the old Wiimotes with motion plus built in works with the Wii U, but I haven't really seen anyone talk about Wii-Motes with the Motion-Plus dongle, do those work as well?[/QUOTE]The old-school Wii-Motes work without issue.

[quote name='ZForce915']I'm not sure why everyone is rushing to put huge HDDs on their WiiU. My Wii was supported by a 2GB SD card for the life of the system. Having 32GB when I know damn well I'm not buying full retail games digitally seems like enough. We are CAG, and we know the best deal will come from buying at retail.

The only way this would change is if the VC games increase in size by a lot.[/QUOTE]Damn good point. I did not play my Wii that much at all even though I got it at launch. I might have gotten 8 games for it total and I had a 2gb SD card in mine and it was more than enough. Good thinking bro as I was sure going to get a HDD on BF but I will wait as I have the system but no games as simply put I do not know which one game I would want to start with. I know everyone loves Nintendo for the exclusives, but I am a MP guy and I like to go online with my games so I was looking for something to play online with like maybe Madden or Fifa or something of that nature.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Question!

How do I temporarily shut down my GamePad while playing Tekken via my Pro Controller?[/QUOTE]

Home button -> Controller Settings

From there you can turn the screen off and put it in power saver mode. I don't know how to turn it off completely, but I usually just put the GamePad in its cradle when not in use.

This got lost yesterday- but I have a ton of wii points on my wii u (emulator) that I want to gift to friends that just have a wii. Is that still possible? It appears that you can't have friends in the emulator ($20 in gifted games to the first person that figures it out how to do it!)

Anyone setup the WiiU with a TiVo? Supposedly DVR streaming is coming, and TiVo was named specifically so I know it's possible, I'm just not having any luck setting it up as the second screen tv feature.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Home button -> Controller Settings

From there you can turn the screen off and put it in power saver mode. I don't know how to turn it off completely, but I usually just put the GamePad in its cradle when not in use.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Used the "Display Off" option and your answer also helped me locate my Friend List. Didn't know where it went after it disappeared from the plaza when popular game icons took over.

Every one of those Miiverse messages on the plaza screen are drawn so nicely. After Christmas I expect the illustration quality to drop significantly.

[quote name='Lyth']Anyone want to do me a favour?

It's pretty tricky to pick up a Wii U in China. I've tried a website called "Taobao" which is like eBay, but all of the sellers on there speak Chinese, and mine is quite limited. Plus, all Wii U's are about $400-$500 for the Basic Model.

If someone could pick me up a Wii U 8GB White model (US version) and ship it to me, I'd be thankful. Obviously, I'd pay. I have paypal, and everything.

If this is against the rules to ask, let me know. I plan on sticking around these forums, so I hope to not get in trouble.
[/QUOTE]

Stating this: If someone is interested in doing this favor for me, we could estimate shipping to China. If it's too expensive, then we could have it sent to my house in Canada instead. That way, it'd be there for when I return.

Just received my walmart wii U deluxe preorder today and got it all set up (minus wii transfer).

Did some Super Mario Bros U. Other games that I got are.

Nintendo Land (from deluxe...)
Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper

So far everything seem pretty cool. Nintendo in HD! woohooo!

[quote name='KillerRamen']Amazon Instant Video is now live.[/QUOTE]

Looks like YouTube is as well. I wasn't expecting all these video apps so soon. Awesomeness.

I got, played and beat Little Inferno last night... It's a very strange game, but I think it's worth a look if you really liked World of Goo. The game itself isn't nearly as good as World of Goo, but it has a pretty interesting story. However, I do not think it's worth $15.

Loving Nintendoland and NSMB:U.

Still getting a little frustrated with my console. Seem to have at least one lock up per day. Today it was trying to go into the Shop Channel.

[quote name='KingBroly']The youtube app is TERRIBLE.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The controls are unresponsive and I can't even watch a video. Don't bother downloading yet, folks.

Prime Instant Video works fine, though. Briefly watched The Terminator.

[quote name='KingBroly']The youtube app is TERRIBLE.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='evergoo']Agreed. The controls are unresponsive and I can't even watch a video. Don't bother downloading yet, folks.

Prime Instant Video works fine, though. Briefly watched The Terminator.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, YouTube is far superior on the browser. I don't see the point of even putting the app out like this, besides just being able to say they have a YouTube app.

The WiiU is starting to feel like it is quickly becoming split between those that see the many faults and those that want to overlook them to enjoy their new purchase.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I didn't see a code in my box, and I only got 160 coins for registration. The Club Nintendo site shows 160 coins for both the base model and deluxe model, so looks like there is no additional points earned for buying the deluxe model.[/QUOTE]

I didn't check the last few pages if anyone commented but to clarify you get a survey for Nintendoland after a week of registering the system worth 50 points.

Finally sat down to play some NintendoLand(Mario hasn't arrived yet). Not too impressed yet. Gave the F-Zero, Octopus, Mario, Pikmin & Donkey Kong minigames a spin. Donkey Kong was the only fun one, IMO. Also kind pointless having a 120" screen when the whole game is played on the tablet.

All the motion is annoying and definitely not going to win over anyone that tired of it on the Wii.

[quote name='ZForce915']The WiiU is starting to feel like it is quickly becoming split between those that see the many faults and those that want to overlook them to enjoy their new purchase.[/QUOTE]

Finding faults is justified when you're dropping $400-$500 on a new system plus a game or two.

I managed to buy a Wii U 8GB white model from Futureshop.ca. Got some questions though:

1) I'm not getting NintendoLand (might try to pick it up later when it's cheaper, and used). Am I missing out on something big, revolutionary, etc? (People are comparing it to Mario 64 and such!)

2) What games would you suggest? I'm planning on getting The New Super Mario Bros Wii U, and ZombiU.

[quote name='Lyth']I managed to buy a Wii U 8GB white model from Futureshop.ca. Got some questions though:

1) I'm not getting NintendoLand (might try to pick it up later when it's cheaper, and used). Am I missing out on something big, revolutionary, etc? (People are comparing it to Mario 64 and such!)

2) What games would you suggest? I'm planning on getting The New Super Mario Bros Wii U, and ZombiU.[/QUOTE]

Scribblenauts is pretty good I head definitely in for it. :)

[quote name='Lyth']I managed to buy a Wii U 8GB white model from Futureshop.ca. Got some questions though:

2) What games would you suggest? I'm planning on getting The New Super Mario Bros Wii U, and ZombiU.[/QUOTE]

It's a fun game, but I don't think you're missing out on anything major. It's more of a Wii Sports type thing with lots of fun mini games that showcase the capabilities of the new controller. You'll probably be able to find it for cheap in the coming months once people start trading it in. It will be the most common Wii U game after all.

I got New Super Mario Bros U, Nintendo Land, Assassin's Creed III and Little Inferno. Assassin's Creed III is good, but from my understanding it's the same as the 360/PS3 versions except it uses the Game Pad as a map. Little Inferno is interesting, but it's pretty hard for me to recommend at the $15 price point.

Aside from that, I'm interested in Scribblenauts Unlimited. Also, Rayman Legends and Pikmin 3 may not have made launch day, but they're still scheduled to come sometime within the "launch window." I think those two are going to be the next must have games for the system.

Hmm, I'll definitely check out some scribblenauts gameplay videos.

I've heard some people complaining about the launch price, as it's "too expensive", which I laugh at.

For us Canadian's, it's only $20 more expensive than the Wii launch. For American's, it's $50 more. That's not a lot of money. The 360, and PS3 were much more expensive than that at launch. The 360 was $300 in US, and $400 in Canada, at launch, and the PS3 was $500 in US and $550 in Canada.

It's nice to see a equal price launch with the Wii U. Meaning, it's the same price in the US as it is in Canada. Equality. :)

I think the price is justified too. It's the first console of the new generation of gaming, just like the 360 was.

EDIT: I see online that some people are complaining about the graphics of ZombiU and the New Mario game. I think it's somewhat appalling. ZombiU looks AMAZING (reminds me of condemned + left 4 dead). It's on par with PS3 and 360, and the atmosphere/lighting effects are far above the 2 aforementioned consoles as well. The new mario game looks great, and isn't meant to a graphics powerhouse. It's simply mario, in HD.

[quote name='evergoo']Gf and I are currently in line for Old Navy's NSMB U deal. There are 48 copies and we're in the top 15. 2.5 more hours to go! :)[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I decided not to try for that after hearing tales of previous video game promos where they only had 5 or 10 copies. Oh well... How many more people (roughly speaking of course) are behind you at this point?

My network adapter arrived from Amazon yesterday (the Nyko one for $16.xx). Man, is that night and day. I was finally able to finish my Wii transfer. Hooking that thing up to the Wii made it perform like I had never seen a Wii perform since launch. It didn't take 5 minutes to start up the Wii Shop channel. Downloading the Wii Transfer App took seconds instead of erroring out 5 or 6 times before finally working (as most other downloads have for me in the past). It was remarkable. I mena, I had pretty much stopped buying anything or using any Wii apps because of the crappy Wifi connection. And I'll add here (for the third or fourth time) that other devices hooked to my network in the same location work just fine.

Anyway, I then moved the network adapter over to the Wii U and wow, friend requests came in, the Mii Verse thing actually did something, and of course the Wii Transfer was then completed with only one hiccup. The first time I put the SD card in it told me it had a problem and to insert the correct card or some such nonsense. Since that was the one I used and my Wii was now erased that pretty much freaked me out. But I just ejected it and put it back in and it worked the second time. Whew...

I guess I have to redownload Wii games that were on my old SD card. I popped that in and it while it sees them there it won't play them. Kind of stupid but whatever - I can now redownload them without much hassle for the first time in a long time. My Wii Shop history and points (I had no idea I had 1600 sitting on there!) transfered no problem.

One strange thing - it told me that amongst other things (like the Metroid Preview Channel) that Lost WInds would not transfer over. That is kind of odd - I thought all WiiWare games would transfer. What's the deal with that one? I never finished it but I'd probably never play it again so no big deal I suppose.

Oh yeah, and I think I will try to pick up Scribblenauts. It is too bad none of the Wii games (besides NBA 2K13 and Darksiders II) were part of the BF deals. I want to pick it up but not for $50. I played the original DS game but never got too far. But I could just see my 2 and 5 year olds being amused to no end by that game and having the TV to display the results makes it much more accessible to them.

[quote name='io']Hmmm... I decided not to try for that after hearing tales of previous video game promos where they only had 5 or 10 copies. Oh well... How many more people (roughly speaking of course) are behind you at this point?

My network adapter arrived from Amazon yesterday (the Nyko one for $16.xx). Man, is that night and day. I was finally able to finish my Wii transfer. Hooking that thing up to the Wii made it perform like I had never seen a Wii perform since launch. It didn't take 5 minutes to start up the Wii Shop channel. Downloading the Wii Transfer App took seconds instead of erroring out 5 or 6 times before finally working (as most other downloads have for me in the past). It was remarkable. I mena, I had pretty much stopped buying anything or using any Wii apps because of the crappy Wifi connection. And I'll add here (for the third or fourth time) that other devices hooked to my network in the same location work just fine.

Anyway, I then moved the network adapter over to the Wii U and wow, friend requests came in, the Mii Verse thing actually did something, and of course the Wii Transfer was then completed with only one hiccup. The first time I put the SD card in it told me it had a problem and to insert the correct card or some such nonsense. Since that was the one I used and my Wii was now erased that pretty much freaked me out. But I just ejected it and put it back in and it worked the second time. Whew...

I guess I have to redownload Wii games that were on my old SD card. I popped that in and it while it sees them there it won't play them. Kind of stupid but whatever - I can now redownload them without much hassle for the first time in a long time. My Wii Shop history and points (I had no idea I had 1600 sitting on there!) transfered no problem.

One strange thing - it told me that amongst other things (like the Metroid Preview Channel) that Lost WInds would not transfer over. That is kind of odd - I thought all WiiWare games would transfer. What's the deal with that one? I never finished it but I'd probably never play it again so no big deal I suppose.

Oh yeah, and I think I will try to pick up Scribblenauts. It is too bad none of the Wii games (besides NBA 2K13 and Darksiders II) were part of the BF deals. I want to pick it up but not for $50. I played the original DS game but never got too far. But I could just see my 2 and 5 year olds being amused to no end by that game and having the TV to display the results makes it much more accessible to them.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad it worked for you! I knew you were quite frustrated with the Wii U at launch, due to connectivity problems. It's nice to see that, the device solved that.

I'm also glad to hear that the adapter came so quickly for you. Would have been a shame to wait a week or two, while your Wii U is sitting offline.

If I was you, I'd contact Nintendo about the fact that some games won't transfer. They might have a solution.

Happy gaming!

I have to say Miiverse is quite possibly the BEST thing Nintendo could have done to help the their brand. I spent more time looking through the insane pictures than anything tonight. If they add contests to it Best picture/pictue of the week with voting etc. just wow. I am pretty suprised how well you can draw with it. Makes the UDraw look like an even more steaming pile of turd.

After seeing everyone complain in a few threads I was skeptical about the purchase but from the hr or so tonight of play I think I am solidified in how amazing and innovative this console really is and the graphics look.

+1 very satisfied customer.

[quote name='io']Hmmm... I decided not to try for that after hearing tales of previous video game promos where they only had 5 or 10 copies. Oh well... How many more people (roughly speaking of course) are behind you at this point?[/QUOTE]

Just counted and we're actually in the top 10. Roughly speaking, I would say more than 50 and less than 80? Looks like many in line knew about the deal. I doubt many actually own a Wii U, though.

All in all, everything is civil (wristbands) and we're going to take our time shopping. :D

*sigh*

I was playing the Balloon Fight game in Nintendoland and swiping away at my gamepad with my stylus to blow my guy around and grab the balloons when all the sudden the movement on the pad got really scratchy. I looked down in horror and saw that I was scratching the shit out of my gamepad screen. I always wash my hands before using touchscreen stuff but I think a bit of dirt got on the screen while I was playing and I proceeded to use the dirt to draw the picture of my people all over the screen. I fucking hate screen protectors because I always figured that they were for people who didn't take care of their stuff but now I'm the proud owner of a somewhat scratched up gamepad.

TL;DR - Even if you have no kids and are really meticulous with your electronics, you might want to get a screen protector for your gamepad.

[quote name='Halo05']*sigh*

I was playing the Balloon Fight game in Nintendoland and swiping away at my gamepad with my stylus to blow my guy around and grab the balloons when all the sudden the movement on the pad got really scratchy. I looked down in horror and saw that I was scratching the shit out of my gamepad screen. I always wash my hands before using touchscreen stuff but I think a bit of dirt got on the screen while I was playing and I proceeded to use the dirt to draw the picture of my people all over the screen. I fucking hate screen protectors because I always figured that they were for people who didn't take care of their stuff but now I'm the proud owner of a somewhat scratched up gamepad.

TL;DR - Even if you have no kids and are really meticulous with your electronics, you might want to get a screen protector for your gamepad.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty careful with all my various Nintendo touch screen devices and have yet to scratch any of them. I don't use screen protectors at all either. I certainly hope this isn't a sign of the durability of the Game Pad's screen.

[quote name='Lyth']

I highly recommend Sonic Racing. It is very fun and addictive. I haven't played any NSMBU since the first night I got the Wii U because I have been playing this instead. Best part is it is only $40. Tank Tank Tank is fun but only recommended if you like arcade game.

bread's done
Back