Wii U or PS Vita? If you could only pick one.

ThirdFall

CAGiversary!
I'm debating on the Wii U or getting a Vita. They both have good points, I know the vita has PS+ now. What you think?

Write a list of the games CURRENTLY out for each system. Buy the system with the biggest list.

Full disclosure: I own a VITA, and not a WiiU.

I was kind of in the same boat, but went with the Wii U. I already own a PS3 and PSP, so I feel like I have the Sony angle covered. I never owned a Wii and have been wanting to play Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Smash Bros. Brawl, Xenoblade, etc, so I went with the Wii U.

Both seem like they have their ups and downs. It really depends on which games you're most interested in playing as both systems have very different titles.

If there are times in your daily routine where having portable entertainment would be a real convenience, get the Vita. Or get a PSP or DS on the cheap and enjoy a lot of missed titles. The key here is that you aren't buying a portable system to play on the couch.

If you're utterly starved of console games to play and a Wii U is your only hope, then get a Wii U. But I highly doubt you've exhausted your PS3 or 360's pool of games.

In either case I think it's important to consider that neither system has particularly strong libraries, and pale in comparison to all the shit you haven't played on current gen or even past gen systems. You can save a lot of money by waiting for big price drops while still playing the best games that are already available to you.

But if money or utility aren't really an issue, and you just want these things, get them.

I love the tech behind it but Vita doesn't have much of a future it's selling terribly and the games made for it are pretty half-assed (just look at the new COD which is a whopping 60 minutes long at best). It's too early to judge the success of the Wii U but you know Nintendo will support it with awesome first party software and it's certainly more portable than a 360 or PS3.

If I could afford an additional console , I'd snatch a 3DS, considering the fact that Both the PS Vita and the Wii U have disappointed me a great deal.

Nintendo's inclination to halt technological progress is killing me.
While the Wii U will probably have some amazing first party gems, I Simply refuse to pay 300$ for outdated hardware. I Want my first "next gen" console to be.... next gen.

As for the Vita- If I'd wanted to replay PS2 goldies , I'd get a PS2.

For gods sake.... I want to feel the sheer joy of being overwhelmed by a new console at least one more time before I die.

I want neither. If I had to buy another console (have a 360, PS3 and Wii) right now, I'd do like the above and get a 3DS as there are a few games I'd like to play there.

But as is, I have a decent backlog on the three I have and don't have much need/interest in a portable.

Wii U I don't think is worth buying right now--like most consoles there just aren't enough games at launch to bother buying a system right now. Always better to wait until the first price drop or good sale/bundle when there are more games out. Personally though, I am pretty burned out on the Nintendo franchises and doubt I'll ever get a Wii U.

If I buy a next gen console, it will be between the Sony and MS offering. Definitely only one console. I only had a 360 for most of this gen (had a Wii first--then Wii and 360 for a bit, bu 360 only for most of this gen until rebuying a Wii and getting a PS3 when my Xbox Live account got hacked last fall) and that worked best for me as I don't really have time/interest to keep up on games on more than one console. I have more friends who game on Xbox, so I'd most likely go that way. But I lean more toward just bowing out of gaming after this gen.

Both the Vita and Wii U are glorified port machines. Most of the best games on each system are ports of per-exisiting games. Sure, they might be better but it hardly justifies buying a console.

I would wait another year before making a decision.

[quote name='ThirdFall']I'm debating on the Wii U or getting a Vita. They both have good points, I know the vita has PS+ now. What you think?[/QUOTE]
I'd say the Vita is a better purchase right now, but only because the Wii U hasn't had enough time to establish a library. Not that the Vita's current library is anything stellar.

Personally the whole tablet/controller thing does not appeal to me at all. Only a really unique and amazing looking Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game would make me even consider a Wii U, and who knows when that will happen.

I picked up a Vita on BF, haven't had much time to play it yet. But IMO Persona 4 Golden, even as a port of a 4 year old game, is a better reason to buy a console than anything going on on the Wii U.

Buy a VITA with a plus subscription. You'll get 6 great games and continue to get games for the initial $50 investment. You don't need a 32GB memory card either you can just add everything to your cart and buy them so they appear on your download list and add\delete them as needed.

Nintendo can't match that deal. The Wii U is selling fine now, but in 6 months no one will care.

Wii U easily. As long as you find it for retail price. Much better games on it. Vita has been out for a while and it still has no games. That plus the ridiculously overpriced memory sticks you need for it are just reason not to bother.

The only reason I would pick the Vita is if you are ALWAYS out and about and never able to sit in front of a tv for enough time to play a game.

[quote name='chakan']Write a list of the games CURRENTLY out for each system. Buy the system with the biggest list.
[/QUOTE]

This.

Personally I don't think either is worth the money at this time.

The game libraries don't justify the price tag compared to other console offerings out there.

For console i recommend a PS3 and for handheld I recommend the 3DS XL or even a PSP. Just my opinion.

[quote name='ThirdFall']I'm debating on the Wii U or getting a Vita. They both have good points, I know the vita has PS+ now. What you think?[/QUOTE]
I don't know if you can actually get the Vita stuff through PS+ right now without owning a Vita but if you can get the Vita stuff through PS+ (as of the usual check out with them on your account while they are free, and assuming you own a PS3), get a PS+ sub, and then buy a Wii-U.

I feel the PS Vita is only going to have better and better deals and if you can actually get the PS+ stuff now, then later on you will have a collection. Wii-U wont drop in price for a long while, but PS Vita might take another big price drop next year.

Yes, you can get the Vita stuff from PS+ without owning a Vita. I've downloaded everything so that, when I eventually do get the Vita, I can play those PS+ games on it.

That being said, I would (did) choose the Wii U over the Vita at this point. Then again, I'm a huge Nintendo nerd.

I have a Vita and have no inclination to buy a WiiU, I think it really depends on where you do the bulk of your gaming. I play my vita at work during lunch, or at home when I'm in bed, so the portability makes it more valuable to me.

I think it's crucial to remember that the Wii U has a larger library due to backwards compatibility with the Wii. Of course, if one has no interest in those older Wii titles - or has already played them, then it isn't much of a selling point.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']I think it's crucial to remember that the Wii U has a larger library due to backwards compatibility with the Wii. Of course, if one has no interest in those older Wii titles - or has already played them, then it isn't much of a selling point.[/QUOTE]

Everyone forgets the VITA can play not all but PSONE, PSP, Minis, and PS Mobile games as well.

People just now stopped saying PS3 has no games, I guess I should get used to people saying that about Vita for the next few years. :/

There's plenty of great games, not even half of them are ports, and there are a handful of promising titles coming out in the next year. C'mon people, name 5 great 3DS* games from top tier franchises that are coming out soon. I've got 3: Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing & Fire Emblem... Stop kidding yourselves with the "OMG teh vita gamez are no moarz". Killzone & Tearaway look great. If you're looking for more of an instant gratification type scenario, I definitely suggest the Vita.

I'm happy with my Wii U purchase, and I've only got NSMBU & Nintendo Land. The gamepad is very impressive, and it's already up there on my top controllers of all time list. It feels fresh, seeing Nintendo games in HD is great, & the benefit of being able to play on the gamepad without taking up the TV screen is nice. Plus, it's Nintendo... It's only a matter of time before we get Super Mario: Awesome Whatever & The Legend of Zelda: Enchanted Musical Instrument XI, and I'm sure they'll be great. If you want something that feels a bit more innovative, then go with the Wii U.

You really can't go wrong either way.

*not trying to pick on 3DS, I love mine to death and it's truly a great system as well, with games just as good as any of the others.

Depends on your daily routine and if you want to play on the go but I'd personally go with the Wii U.

Vita easily. Especially since you already have a PS3 and 360.

If you really need to play Nintendo Land or Zombie U or want to pay $60 for some old games that are already on the PS3/360 then go for the Wii U I guess.

I want to get a Wii U, but I just can't justify it when I look at current games out and the games that are coming out anytime soon for it. Rayman looks great, but it's not a system seller to me.

Vita... Trophies... Wii U is cool, but you can't carry the GamePad with you on the go. I just finished updating the Wii U last night and from that experience, I like it even less...

I got a great deal on a vita awhile back but I have Uncharted for it and that's it. I played through Resistance BS also. There aren't a lot of great games to be honest. Amazing machine though. I am interested in getting a Wii U but only eventually down the line when the inevitable gold Zelda edition will come out. Zelda in HD is a system seller to me!

I have both, and the question is which games are you waiting to play the most, and which other systems you have. I am wrapped up in Virtue's Last Reward for the Vita right now, and I have Persona 4 waiting, in addition to all the stuff I have from PS+. The Wii U game I am waiting for is Lego City Undercover, but Super Mario and Nintendoland are both very fun.

I bought a Wii U but the Vita was never even on my radar. I already own a 3DS and don't see the need for another new handheld at that price point right now. The Vita is also lacking in games that interest me at all.

I had this debate with myself a while ago and chose the PS Vita. I don't regret it 1 bit.

In the end it depends on personal taste in games, but buying the Wii U right now really holds extremely low benefits, I mean nobody here can seriously say the Wii U is the best for games right now, nobody, it's dead last for consoles. While it's suppose to be more powerful than xbox 360 and ps3...its power is only slightly being touched right now, not really worth buying for 2-3 unique games...it would be better to just save that money to buy a xbox 360 or ps3 (if you don't have either)...or buying games for them.

PS Vita benefits over Wii U:
1. Mobile gaming device. (if you have 3ds obviously this point is null)
2. More games. Both in retail and for download the ps vita has much larger library.

The initial cost would be the same though, ps vita $250, memory card $60 (16gb) ps+ $50....so about $360, but you get 6 games initially and more will come throughout the year.

Well since this thread is over a month old, and the OP likely has made a decision, I'll throw in my 2 cents for anybody else thinking about this. I think the Wii U is far too early in its life to be a must own, and even though I bought a Vita, and don't regret it one bit, I wouldn't be devastated if I didn't own it either. However, I just recently decided to pick up the new iPod Touch 5th Gen and I must say that if you want to spend $300 right now, and don't have an iPad 2 or higher or an iPhone/iPod 4 or higher, then seriously consider this. It took me very little time to get used to the controls of not having buttons and there are literally dozens and dozens of great, addicting games, and many of them are either free or go on sale for .99 or free all the time. For those of you that say you can't get the same experience on an iPod/iPhone/iPad that you can on a dedicated gaming device, I agree. However, if you can find yourself playing a game for 2-3 hours at a time, (GTA 3, GTA Vice City, GTA Chinatown, Lego Harry Potter, Infinity Blade, Bastion, The Walking Dead, Mass Effect Infiltraitor, Need for Speed "Take your pick", Skylanders, Final Fantasy 1-4) and only ever spend between $0-2.99 per game, then I say you've got yourself a truely great device. The 5th Gen Touch has 32gb of space and that's a lot. It has the bigger screen and many games are updating for it and almost all new games are optimized for it, plus it has Siri which is always fun to screw around with.

Knowing everything I know about the devices, if I wanted to game, had ~$300 to spend and already had either a PS3 or a 360, the next thing I would be buying would be either iPod Touch 5th Gen or an iPad Mini.

I love my Vita. There are a handful of really good games out now, with a few more coming soon. Throw in the digital PSP library, PSOne support and PS+ deals, and you'll have enough to keep you busy for awhile.

There is an article on Gamesradar about how it's close to death and needs Sony to invest in it's own studios for more games or spend to get other devs on board. I guess Monster Hunter going to the DS was a huge loss in the Japanese market and really hurt the Vita over there.

I want a Vita to take further advantage of Playstation Plus (funny how that marketing works), but I'm waiting for a price drop. I'll pay the price for memory, but Sony really needs a killer pack in and bundle to get my attention. When the next MLB THe Show comes out and it's packed in for $200 I'll bite. Until then I see nothing that makes me have to run out and buy one.

After finishing Uncharted 3 on the big screen, playing a little bit of it in Target was painful...lots of loading!

I'd go vita I got mine for $100 off craigslist 3g/wifi model with 8gb memory card, and original box. So check there if looking for a deal. Also the wii U only has a few exclusives right now. If you NEED to play new Mario bros U then go for it. But ign had a article on the wii U with some developers and a lot of the games coming out for 360 and ps3 early next year (gta 5, tomb raider, South park stick of truth, DmC, bioshock infinite and a couple others) are not coming to wii U. If you don't have xbox or ps3 get one of them without a second thought. I'm waiting on Zelda for wii U by then hoping the price will drop

bread's done
Back