Wii U-Pikmin 3

I got this free with MK8. I see that there are 3 DLC packs. Which are worth buying?
Depends on what you like doing in the game. Do you prefer collecting fruit or fighting enemies? Map pack 1 ($2) remixes the existing levels placing fruit in different places. Map pack 2 ($2) is the same except for enemies. Map pack 3($5) is 4 all new levels. I found them all worth it at the prices given. If you are into the challenge levels you'll get your money's worth going for Gold or Platinum. If you are looking for something fresh though, hop into Map Pack 3. Also there are 4 free maps.

More details here.

Depends on what you like doing in the game. Do you prefer collecting fruit or fighting enemies? Map pack 1 ($2) remixes the existing levels placing fruit in different places. Map pack 2 ($2) is the same except for enemies. Map pack 3($5) is 4 all new levels. I found them all worth it at the prices given. If you are into the challenge levels you'll get your money's worth going for Gold or Platinum. If you are looking for something fresh though, hop into Map Pack 3. Also there are 4 free maps.

More details here.
How do you download the 4 free maps? I actually haven't started it yet and don't know when I'll get around to playing it. I'm mostly concerned about the purchases before the digital deluxe promo ends so if they were good I wanted to buy them in time to claim it.

It's on the page I linked.  You'll have to boot up the game to trigger the title update.  The four maps are part of the update.

I went ahead and gave it a shot.  The game seemed fun at first then I lost all my pikmin when time ran out.  The game's time limit isn't fun for me.  I'm not sure if I'll continue it.  Not a fan of timers in games and not a fan of being stressed out.  I usually play games to relax.

btw, it's my first pikmin game.  In RTS games I usually like to relax, build up a base, then attack with overwhelming force.  Sometimes there will be time limits in them (speaking of campaign here obviously) but that isn't usually every single level.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really not that stressful.  You won't need to worry about the timer after a couple 'in game' days.  Once you get the hang of the game and start rolling the juice is easier to come by.  You have to get your Pikmin back to the Onion before time expires.  You just have to plan accordingly.  

Hang in there it's a fantastic series.  

I came in to this series in Pikmin 3, but after playing I went back and picked up Pikmin 1 and 2.  I think this game is pretty great.  There really isn't a rush even though there is a time limit.  I've picked up all the DLC.

I do kind of wish the multiplayer was more expanded.  This game could really benefit from Co-Op during story (there are 3 characters available in many missions, though some of the puzzles would need to be reworked) and online play.  Hopefully if we get a Pikmin 4 this generation it will take advantage of Nintendo's more online friendly direction.

So I'm at Captain Olimar and wow the difficulty suddenly spikes.  I've had to restart this day so many times now.  It's hard and very frustrating.  I've never thought that difficult games were fun.  Overcoming a challenge isn't enjoyable for me.  I like to relax and play games for the story or in the case of this game, exploration.  This area is frustrating.  I don't know why Nintendo insists on doing this kind of thing.

edit: Just found out, I'm at the final boss.  Wow, I thought I was only halfway through the game.  This seems short.  I guess I'll keep at it until I beat it.

Alright I beat the game.  It was a decent game but I guess I'm not a big fan of these mechanics driven games that are light on story.  I prefer story/narrative driven games.  I guess it's a good thing I didn't buy the DLC as I have no interest in those non-campaign time limited competition style levels.  Actually, I guess all of Nintendo's games are light on story and heavy on game mechanics.  I prefer Taletell's The Walking Dead to Pikmin for instance.  In terms of RTS's, I prefer Starcraft/Starcraft 2 which have more story as well.  So the game is fine but I can definitely see why Nintendo is falling behind.

To each their own.  Pikmin is the best "Nintendo" game on the system, IMO.  It's not just another yearly Mario/Zelda franchise game, nor just another platformer with someone from the Mushroom Kingdom.

I don't need story in a game like this.  I need tight mechanics and a fun & challenging game which the game definitely provides (esp. in the DLC).  

I think the only place it falls short is the length and graphics.  Sure the game is pretty, but with these powerful consoles I'd still like to see this series set in a hyper realistic garden like the promo pics and image on the box art.

To each their own. Pikmin is the best "Nintendo" game on the system, IMO. It's not just another yearly Mario/Zelda franchise game, nor just another platformer with someone from the Mushroom Kingdom.

I don't need story in a game like this. I need tight mechanics and a fun & challenging game which the game definitely provides (esp. in the DLC).

I think the only place it falls short is the length and graphics. Sure the game is pretty, but with these powerful consoles I'd still like to see this series set in a hyper realistic garden like the promo pics and image on the box art.
I liked the exploration and the puzzles and it's rare for me to like puzzles so that's saying something. As for the tight mechanics, I think it's flawed. The gamepad does a bad job in the 3d environment. I missed my throws by a longshot so many times because the glaciers angle and the gamepad screen conspire to get you to throw your guys a behind where you want.

Started Pikmin 3 last night, only done the first 2 days but I'm enjoying it so far.

Started off playing it with a pro controller which didn't really work.

I just found it hard to remember to always bring so many types of different Pikmin with you. To be fair, the last strategy game I played and beat was Starcraft 1, so they are clearly not really my thing, but I hate "Oh I'm at a brick wall and don't have that color because I dealt with a fire enemy who I also didn't have enough of the right color to deal with"

as a side note, wouldn't this game be an absolute b**** to play colorblind?

That last post makes me want to see a video of Ken Jeung in character as Leslie Chow, trying to play Pikmin. It could be incredible.

Just purchased a Pikmin 3 code from a fellow CAGer and wow...I love this game. I have quickly forgotten about Mario Kart 8.

I wonder if the DLC is worth it.

Just found this at a local store. Should I grab it for full retail? I probably won't open it. I would just keep it as a collectors item.

Damn, I sold my physical copy back in July for $38 because I got the digital copy from CN. I wish I would have held onto it. I also sold my sealed nintendo selects pikmin 2 for $16 back in August of 2013.. wish I would have held onto that as well.

I finally beat this game today. Took me 43 days, 23 hours and I lost just under 1000 pikmin. I had to restart a bunch of days near the end and even do some pikmin farming a couple of times to finally beat the last boss. I guess I suck compared to most of the other stats I have read online but I still had fun and really enjoyed the figuring everything out despite getting pretty frustrated at times. I also never looked anything up online. Its a lot more fun figuring things out myself. I cant say the same for sticker star, I basically follwed IGNs guide for that entire game. 

thanks to target 50% off clearance couple months ago. tried get 2 but happy with 1 copy for $30. still have my free digital copy with purchased mario kart 8. will keep sealed pikmin 3 sealed :)

Pikmin 3 is my favorite Wii U game. I bought the physical release when it launched. Would gladly pay 60 bucks for a sealed copy to keep for collection purposes. 

I just found a copy for 42.50 at Kmart. Every video game there is on clearance and it was completely disorganized, I found it under a stack of other random wii u games.

For anyone still looking I would wait and see if nintendo does a "nintendo selects" or something similar for wii u. This game has potential to be part of that line and it would definitely get a price drop.

When was the last time Nintendo did a "Nintendo Selects" line up. The end of the Wii generation didn't have it and the 3DS isn't looking to have one any time soon.

bread's done
Back