Wii Video Tearing/Speckles?

Im just wondering how long those of you have had your Wii's that have been having this issue, and do you turn it off when you are done(red light) or leave it on stand by (yellow/orange)?

Hey guys,

I've got this problem on my unit. I'd assumed it was because of the low res nature of the Wii, and the large size of my screen (56" 16:9). I see it on most games, ittermitantly. It looks like a "rip" in the video -- typically on static backgrounds.

Can someone explain what the problem is, what Nintendo does to fix it, and how I should explain the problem to Nintendo? I'm in Korea on business now -- my trip was extended a week -- and my girlfriend's son is playing it while I'm away.

My Wii was a Christmas present from my girlfriend -- she isn't going to believe there is something wrong with it -- she thinks I am a video snob.

Thanks,

Joe

You just call Nintendo and describe the problem.
You'll need the serial number of the unit.

They'll email you a FedEx Shipping thing and you just mail it to them free of charge.
They should send it back to you via 2 day shipping.

I'm sending my Wii back tomorrow for this problem.
I just took a video, it might be different from what you get but same principles:

Well that sucks, youtube is down for maintenance so my video will have to wait.

dallow,

Please post the link when you get the video up on you tube. I'd like to see.

Does anyone know what the problem is caused by? Was there a defect in manufacturing?

Thanks,

Joe

mine had the exact same problem, i believe it was caused by leaving wii connect 24 on (had a launch Wii), luckily nintendo headquarters is a 30 min trip from my place so i just headed over and they replaced it right when they booted it up

[quote name='DrJoe']dallow,

Please post the link when you get the video up on you tube. I'd like to see.

Does anyone know what the problem is caused by? Was there a defect in manufacturing?

Thanks,

Joe[/quote]My Wii suffers from a rash as you can see.
Especially at the midway point, you'll the dots just popping in.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg33i_tirVM[/MEDIA]

In Wii disc games, like SMG, it becomes flickering pixels of different colors. Always in the same spot on the screen.

How long did you have yours? Thankfully mine hasn't done this, though I am suspicious about my disc drive (made some weird noises during Super Mario Galaxy, and I think may have quit reading once).

It's a launch Wii.

And it only first developed the problem around the time Sin & Punishment came out on the Wii.
I sent it to Nintendo and now the problem is back again.

[quote name='dallow']It's a launch Wii.

And it only first developed the problem around the time Sin & Punishment came out on the Wii.
I sent it to Nintendo and now the problem is back again.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it's an artifact problem. Since you already sent it to Nintendo, I think they give you a new warranty from when you send it in for any repairs or replacements. Sad to say, you have to send it in again most likely...

[quote name='Wolfpup']How long did you have yours? Thankfully mine hasn't done this, though I am suspicious about my disc drive (made some weird noises during Super Mario Galaxy, and I think may have quit reading once).[/QUOTE]

That's funny... mine does the same thing during SMG but the game never shows any signs of a problem. It runs perfectly fine.:whistle2:k

I'll have to look and see if it is always in the same place.

My Wii was purchased in mid-December and has been lightly used since Christmas -- I noticed the problem a after a few weeks when I moved the Wii from our bedroom 32" LCD HDTV down to the 56" hometheater set in the basement. I did get a warranty extension by registering online -- how long is the extended warranty good for?

Joe

[quote name='Vinny']...
That's funny... mine does the same thing during SMG but the game never shows any signs of a problem. It runs perfectly fine.:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Well, I *think* it only had a real problem once. It's been a while so I don't remember for sure. But it was (always?) making a lot of seeking/grinding/disc adjustment type noises between levels. I think after ejecting it one time and putting it back in carefully it kind of went away got awhile. Still makes me nervous though. I've noticed the load time can be slightly longer when it's making noises the worst (which isn't to say the load time is bad at all...just that SOMETHING is going on with the disc).

I finally got around to calling Nintendo about my system.

I mentioned that while this pixellation problem had occurred on my system from the start, I first heard about it as a potential video card program on an online forum-- BOOM! her attitude changed. An online game forum begame a "propoaganda site" in her words multiple times.

She suggested the following:

1) The video system can be reset by setting the system to 480i using the composite cables that came with the system and switching back to the component cables.

2) This is a common problem with un-licensed component video cables and that IU should try it with licensed video cables (stamped with the Nintendo logo) before submitting the system for a repair.

3) There really could be a problem with the video card.

I'm fairly certain my cables are "unlicensed". I wonder if I can buy & return a set of licensed cables to verify this? I am skeptical that the cables could possibly matter.

Joe

[quote name='DrJoe']I finally got around to calling Nintendo about my system.

I mentioned that while this pixellation problem had occurred on my system from the start, I first heard about it as a potential video card program on an online forum-- BOOM! her attitude changed. An online game forum begame a "propoaganda site" in her words multiple times.

She suggested the following:

1) The video system can be reset by setting the system to 480i using the composite cables that came with the system and switching back to the component cables.

2) This is a common problem with un-licensed component video cables and that IU should try it with licensed video cables (stamped with the Nintendo logo) before submitting the system for a repair.

3) There really could be a problem with the video card.

I'm fairly certain my cables are "unlicensed". I wonder if I can buy & return a set of licensed cables to verify this? I am skeptical that the cables could possibly matter.

Joe[/quote]

Test with your composite cables, the one that came with the system.

Yeah, good idea. Personally I like buying licensed stuff, but that will rule out the cables. I love it, we're "propaganda" now. Geez, no one's even saying there's a widespread issue with the system!

I purchased my Wii in fall of 2007 and a few months ago started noticing this video artifacting problem. I inititally thought it was due to the cabling, so I purchased new cables... but no help. Put the original cables back on. The problem only got worse over time. Since I purchased my Wii at Costco (who have a 1-year no-hassle return policy), I just backed-up my game saves to SD and returned the Wii and got a new one. Video problems gone. But be warned, it is not the easiest thing to convince Nintendo to give you back your wiiware/vc downloads... but it is do-able... just make sure you keep a note of the serial number on the original system.

Nintendo support acted like they hadn't heard of this problem and that perhaps a small handfull of people have experienced it. Googling and looking on youtube I would think it slightly more than a handfull. Nintendo trying to do damage control?

I wonder if it's anything worse than normal for a GPU. Might actually be, since I don't remember any issues like this for the Gamecube. If anything, the Wii should be MORE robust, since it's using the same basic GPU, only manufactured 5 years later.

I also purchased my Wii in fall of 2007. I noticed this video artifacting problem after I got Wii Fit and initially thought it was a problem with the game. Once I started noticing it on the Wii menus I got worried. I was using component cables (official Mad Catz) so I tried swapping them out with the composite but the problem was still there. The 'tearing' got progressively worse over time.

I called Nintendo support and after a few minutes of walking through the problem (they suggested it might be a problem with my TV scaling the image) they said I'd have to return it for repair. I'll be out my Wii for a week or two, but overall not a big deal (so far).

I took some video of the problem;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SwrntlVdq0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sikeriHqcf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWR_JmXlmPo

Nice job with those videos! Should help people know what to look for. So far so good with mine (although I haven't used it really since Galaxy).

Excellent!

Oh hey, I see they've ALREADY done a gamer card thing for the Playstation 3. Good grief was that fast. I was sort of expecting a few months or SOMETHING to go buy, not like 24 hours :D

I almost care slightly more about trophies than about a gamerscore (don't really care about either) just because I'll have something to stick up in my room within Home once that launches. A pile of trophies on the floor...or something ;)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Excellent!

Oh hey, I see they've ALREADY done a gamer card thing for the Playstation 3. Good grief was that fast. I was sort of expecting a few months or SOMETHING to go buy, not like 24 hours :D

I almost care slightly more about trophies than about a gamerscore (don't really care about either) just because I'll have something to stick up in my room within Home once that launches. A pile of trophies on the floor...or something ;)[/quote]

well its not official sony, but its the first one i found and seems pretty good, you have to add your own trophys however since sony doesnt have any of it online yet like xbox.

Oh, gotcha. I quit posting my Xbox thing in my sig once I started getting negative comments about how I must be terrible to play with since I only have 3 stars. It's like "dude, I don't play online..."

Just to follow up... I received my repaired Wii yesterday. The repair order said the mainboard was replaced. Works great now, no problems with the picture. It took 9 days to ship it and get it back (sent it out on a Monday, received it back the next Wednesday). All my saves were intact, but all my downloaded/installed channels (like Wii Fit channel, Nintendo channel, etc) and purchased games were gone and had to be re-downloaded (at no charge). Wii Points were still there, too.

Overall an inconvenience but not a big deal.

bread's done
Back