Wii won't update and causes router to crash! Ahh!

JSK414

CAGiversary!
Hi, I just got a Wii last night. I am trying to connect it to the internet via a wireless router. Its a Actiontec router (the standard router issued by Verizon FIOS). It finds the access point and connects and tells me I need to get a update before I can do anything. I click ok. It gets to about half way and then hangs, but whats really weird is my router also hangs (i.e. my laptop and other things using the internet connection, lose the internet) This goes on until I turn off the router and then turn it on. My questions are does anyone know why my Wii causes my router to 'crash'? And how can I get my Wii to work online so I can get some Virtual Console games? Thanks!

[quote name='JSK414']Hi, I just got a Wii last night. I am trying to connect it to the internet via a wireless router. Its a Actiontec router (the standard router issued by Verizon FIOS). It finds the access point and connects and tells me I need to get a update before I can do anything. I click ok. It gets to about half way and then hangs, but whats really weird is my router also hangs (i.e. my laptop and other things using the internet connection, lose the internet) This goes on until I turn off the router and then turn it on. My questions are does anyone know why my Wii causes my router to 'crash'? And how can I get my Wii to work online so I can get some Virtual Console games? Thanks![/QUOTE]

you know I am having a LOT of problems with the internet ever since I added the Wii to my network. Yes I too have FIOS and Actiontec, both of them assured me the Wii had no issues with the router...however it's like anytime I play with the Wii it tends to fuck up my 360's attempt to log into live. We have a discussion going on over at
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157701
about this problem. I really don't get how the Wii can be fucking up things when it's not doing anything important and updates for the Wii happen every few weeks not everyday which would cause issues for the 360.

Thanks ITDEFX. But I didn't really get an answer from that thread (I think). I am going to see if my 360 will connect to live right now, but when I try to connect the wii to get an update it pretty much crashes my router. It kills the connection until the router is reset. How can the wii do that? I thought maybe it was an overload of wireless connections and the wii was just putting it over the edge. But I shut down my 2 laptops and the wii was the ONLY thing using the router, but the router still went down when I tried to connect the wii. I really want virtual Console games, damnit! Haha.

[quote name='Strell']Change the wireless channel to 1 or 11 on the router and try again.[/QUOTE]

I tried that, lol. :( Stupid wii!

[quote name='JSK414']I tried that, lol. :( Stupid wii![/QUOTE]

Try removing security if you have it.

Try checking the firmware on the router.

Any firewalls or anything running on the computer?

I don't have a firewall, and I put the router to the lowest possible security level. I just updated my firmware but still had no effect. Wii makes me sad! haha.

At this point I see no point in having the Wii attached to my network, so when I get a chance, I will disable wireless network and leave the Wii in red mode. I don't have any wireless devices (other then the Wii and DS). My PC and 360 should have more priority to the network and internet then the wii.

bread's done
Back