Wiimote Q&A

BlaqRenaissance

CAGiversary!
CVG.com

Pseudo:Whoa, hang on! Can we just have some clarification on Wii Tennis, here? Your report seems to suggest that the type of swing your character makes isn't actually related at all to the type of swing you make with the remote. The way I read it, you make a vague swing-like movement and the character makes an arbitrary predefined swing -- which sounds lame. I can do that (more easily) by pressing a button. What's the point in swinging your arm if it's not offering you any greater level of control?

CVG:
Visually, your tennis player doesn't accurately replicate your arm movements - he swings with pre-defined animations. That's VISUALLY. However, variations in your swinging of the Remote does indeed have an effect on the way the ball is played.

You can hit the ball left and right by timing your swing so that the bat meets the ball at the desired angle - that's very tricky. If you swing the Remote from low to high in a lobbing motion, the ball will be struck high. Similarly, turning your hand forward as you swing will put top-spin on the ball, which dips it just over the net. You can even put spin on the ball by pull the remote in more intricate directions as you swing.

The idea of this control system, apart from the enhanced visceral feel of it, is to get you concentrating more on your swing. So while it takes away control of the characters movements around the court, it pressures you to think more about whether you need to physically swing a backhand or forehand (which is handled automatically in all other tennis games), your swing timing, spin, and altitude.

Personally, I think that is cool. There's a lot to be said for how the controller is actually used in-game. Having it match your swing visually, but just performing a generic swing is nowhere near as cool or a clever use of the technology as having a generic looking swing with the ball traveling realistically to how you hit it.

Thanks for the info.

bread's done
Back