Wiis At Bestbuy On June 24

[quote name='TomoyoN']I got one in NYC, the Best Buy on Broadway by Prince St. Got there about 15min. before opening and was 4th in line. From what the sales rep said they were shipped 90 on Thurs. but since they guaranteed atleast 9 on Sunday they sold some to "lucky" (probably friends of other sales reps) passerbys. As for the stock they had this morning I have no clue but there were atleast 10 people behind me waiting/buying Wiis...[/quote]

I'm still amazed by this, 7 months and still a shortage. I figured when I saw a couple stay on WalMart and costco shelves for a couple days the shortage would be over, this is just crazy.

My local store must have been lucky, they had about 50 this morning to giveaway. My friend was lucky enough to get one and he went there just 10 minutes before they opened.

I'll say it again: shortage through all of 2007, and probably well into March of '08. And that is ridiculous. It's 65% demand of bratty kids and trendy 'young professionals', 70% manufactured shortage to continue to fuel hype.

I know...I can do basic math, but I just felt like using those numbers anyway. It's like the actual 35% of the latter just weighs twice as heavily as the 65% of the former.

So 7 months later and we STILL have people lining up??? Good lord...

I was at WalMart here on Saturday afternoon and noticed they had 3 Wii's. I then went back in that evening and they were all gone. If you can find them on the shelf here, it's by accident and they are gone within hours, if not minutes.

[quote name='jollydwarf']I'll say it again: shortage through all of 2007, and probably well into March of '08. And that is ridiculous. It's 65% demand of bratty kids and trendy 'young professionals', 70% manufactured shortage to continue to fuel hype.

I know...I can do basic math, but I just felt like using those numbers anyway. It's like the actual 35% of the latter just weighs twice as heavily as the 65% of the former.[/QUOTE]

...or there's just a lot of people out there that want a light, fun gaming experience that reminds them of the days of the NES and it's 4 button controller.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']...or there's just a lot of people out there that want a light, fun gaming experience that reminds them of the days of the NES and it's 4 button controller.[/quote]
As a Wii owner I can honestly say that the best way to achieve those glory days is to plunk down the full $20 bucks for a used NES.

The Wii and it's overrated controller have yet to impress this gamer. I use it mainly to play old Gamecube games.......

Don't you mean NEW old GameCube games (*cough* Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition *cough*)?

Sarcasm aside, I'm really enjoying the Wii. I didn't expect too much out of it to begin with (I have my 360 and PS3 for the cutting-edge stuff), so its ability to play GameCube games, Virtual Console titles, and the odd Nintendo must-have (Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros. Brawl, etc.) makes it totally worthwhile for me.

[quote name='mj1108']So 7 months later and we STILL have people lining up??? Good lord...

I was at WalMart here on Saturday afternoon and noticed they had 3 Wii's. I then went back in that evening and they were all gone. If you can find them on the shelf here, it's by accident and they are gone within hours, if not minutes.[/QUOTE]

your absolutely correct. i have been looking since day one and have refused to stand in line after the new year. i did finally get one by luck/accident 2 weeks ago i just walked into a walmart, and there was one just sitting there. i had to look around to make sure nobody else saw it grabbed an associate and it was finally mine.

i called the wife after to make sure it was ok

by the time they are available on the shelf it will be Christmas shopping time again which means standing in line hoping to get one. they won't be available until next year it is getting ridiculous but i am glad to see that Nintendo has managed quite a come back!

good luck to all those still looking

Stores won't hold them for you, you have to get to store ASAP after confirmation. I saw customers getting pissed off for out of stock when they arrived at store after calling because some other dudes just happened to pick them up in store while in stock.

...or there's just a lot of people out there that want a light, fun gaming experience that reminds them of the days of the NES and it's 4 button controller.

No, at this point it's mostly easily-hypnotized suburbanites who feel that they have to have a Wii to keep up with Where They Should Be Right Now. They people could give a fuck about the NES, they just want to be able to talk about how fun Wii Sports tennis and bowling are, and they just want their brats to shut the fuck up.

Oh, and like I keep saying, Nintendo is only too happy to fuel the hype by any means necessary. With each passing month that the shortages don't diminish, my 'tin foil' thinking becomes that much more credible...unless one is in 'Lalala, I'm not listening!' denial, which makes up, oh, about 75% of the people here.

P.S. Also, the eBay fuckwad hoarders will keep doin' their thing until the profit becomes less than is needed to secure their latest dimebag or buy a few more minutes for their prepaid cellie.

[quote name='jollydwarf']
Oh, and like I keep saying, Nintendo is only too happy to fuel the hype by any means necessary. With each passing month that the shortages don't diminish, my 'tin foil' thinking becomes that much more credible...unless one is in 'Lalala, I'm not listening!' denial, which makes up, oh, about 75% of the people here.

P.S. Also, the eBay fuckwad hoarders will keep doin' their thing until the profit becomes less than is needed to secure their latest dimebag or buy a few more minutes for their prepaid cellie.[/quote]

You may be right about nintendo, they supposedly doubled production in May, yet it seems like there are less than there were in March, Target used to get them weekly or bi-weekly, and sometimes good amounts, now they don't get them for 2 months sometimes. About the profit, some people are using craigslist, and are making a lot more that $10 a unit. Just M.O.

Oh, and like I keep saying, Nintendo is only too happy to fuel the hype by any means necessary. With each passing month that the shortages don't diminish, my 'tin foil' thinking becomes that much more credible...unless one is in 'Lalala, I'm not listening!' denial, which makes up, oh, about 75% of the people here.[/quote]

Oh? When I look at the sale numbers and the number of units they sell each week, it's pretty impressive. Nintendo is doing it's best to make a supply available but the demand is just that much greater, I thought this would be pretty simple to understand yah? There's a world market, not just the USA, with the focus being on Japan. Shortage doesn't only mean low supply, it means high demand as well. Don't tell me I'm in denial, I just don't see you providing any facts to support your idea, besides saying ZOMG WHY IS THERE A SHORTAGE!

The Toys R Us I work at have been getting Wii shipments in every week for the past month, but they dont put it in the ad. So yeah, just learn when the shipments come in and you should be all set to get your hands on one.

Maybe the gaming industry/market (those not in the 12-21 male demographic) were ready for something different from sports retreads, FPSes with Online Functionality (=cursing incoherent juveniles), and hyperviolent sandbox games.
I consider myself a gamer, I've been gaming since Sears Telegames and Atari 2600. However, apart from some great RPGs on the PS2, I had gotten bored with gaming, nothing was really catching my eye. I followed the Wii a little bit and bought one when I found it in a store in February. Love it so far, BC is a bonus, there are some mature in content and tone games, and some that are great to play with my wife and four year old (they're playing MP8 right now). The big recent trend in multiplayer--online competitive--did not interest me at all, I am more interested in family, local multiplayer.
The Wii offers something more novel than PS3 and 360, at a more reasonable price. It is doing an amazing job at expanding the market to include people who are not 'traditional' gamers, including those whose closest experience with a game is Tumblebugs or Pogo games (and this casual market is huge), and to some who have drifted away from gaming or have become dissatisfied with it.
There's still a market for PS3 and 360, and much of the Wii installed base could still be interested in more games than just minigame collections, and for those who aren't, well, the other consoles always had the 'gamers' who only bought this year's regurgitation of Madden or one or two other franchises.
The Wii is not all things to all gamers (even with the expanded definition of 'gamer'). Neither is the Ps3 or 360. They all have their strengths and weaknesses (as much as I don't care about online FPSes etc, Nintendo does need to bump up their online offerings), and there's room enough for all in the market. Not everyone who buys and enjoys a Wii is some tinfoilhat-ed slackjawed yokel who has somehow succumbed to the mighty subliminal messaging of the all-powerful Nintendo.
I do agree, system hoarders/scalpers suck, whether they try it with a Wii six months in, or for PS2 or PS3 for the first month of release. A scalper couldn't do what he does if demand wasn't there, and the demand is most definitely there (what, Wii has sold almost as many units in 6 months as the 360 has in 18 months?)

My BB had 10 of em in a stack, no one was going near them. I was kind of confused because its the first time I have ever seen them in my area.

I was asking around at stores for one in the sacto area every time we left the hills for a shopping trip, but to no avail. Finally I asked at our local kmart in mid-may and was put on a list for one. I figured I'd never hear anything again. To my surprise the electronics dm called me on morn of june 2nd and told me to get there by 6pm, he was holding one for me.

Personally I love it, and my 60yo mom love playing it too. Of course she has always flailed her controller around playing the 2600 or snes ( her favorite game are on those systems).

[quote name='jollydwarf']...or there's just a lot of people out there that want a light, fun gaming experience that reminds them of the days of the NES and it's 4 button controller.

No, at this point it's mostly easily-hypnotized suburbanites who feel that they have to have a Wii to keep up with Where They Should Be Right Now. They people could give a fuck about the NES, they just want to be able to talk about how fun Wii Sports tennis and bowling are, and they just want their brats to shut the fuck up.

P.S. Also, the eBay fuckwad hoarders will keep doin' their thing until the profit becomes less than is needed to secure their latest dimebag or buy a few more minutes for their prepaid cellie.[/quote]

Oh what a bunch of horseshit. You're so fucking holier than thou...then why don't you go and snatch up all the Wii's you can find and sell them to people who, in your fucked up opinion, deserve the wii that aren't easily hypnotized suburbanites at cost then?

As far as the hoarding is concerned, welcome to fucking capitalism. I'm sorry that you don't like what the country was founded on, but if I happen to be in walmart and see 3 wii's, I plunk down the cash for them, because I know people that want them, and if they don't, fuck it - straight to ebay. And I could care less what some internet chat board thinks about it, because none of you are paying my bills. At least I'd be rescuing those units from the easily hypnotized suburbanites who want to have a status symbol instead of a gaming system.

What a self-serving, bullshit post that was.

No, this country wasn't founded on scalping and hoarding. As a matter of fact, in some areas for certain items, it's kind of illegal. It's also why ads often state limits on sale items and say things like "No dealers, please." But it's pretty clear that a.) a lot of people are going to continue to call totally unnecessarily-created secondary markets "capitalism" no matter what one says, and 2.) you win, because you out "fucked" my post 4-3.

Also, you might want to "EDIT" in a warning for toxic levels of defensiveness. Kind of gave off a "Bender-ranting-about-his-father-putting-out-a-cig-on-his-arm" vibe.

(And this is where someone on the referential ball retorts by calling me a "Retarded, big mouth, know-it-all, asshole, jerk.")

[quote name='Ronin317']Oh what a bunch of horseshit. You're so fucking holier than thou...then why don't you go and snatch up all the Wii's you can find and sell them to people who, in your fucked up opinion, deserve the wii that aren't easily hypnotized suburbanites at cost then?

As far as the hoarding is concerned, welcome to fucking capitalism. I'm sorry that you don't like what the country was founded on, but if I happen to be in walmart and see 3 wii's, I plunk down the cash for them, because I know people that want them, and if they don't, fuck it - straight to ebay. And I could care less what some internet chat board thinks about it, because none of you are paying my bills. At least I'd be rescuing those units from the easily hypnotized suburbanites who want to have a status symbol instead of a gaming system.

What a self-serving, bullshit post that was.[/quote]

Spoken like a true slickdealer/ fat walleter...don't let the door hit you on the way outta this forum. :arrow:

My cousin was able to get two (one for himself and another for our other cousin's birthday) with the help of his friend. His friend worked at BestBuy and sold them to him 2 days earlier.....

All I know is that....I havent seen these things on shelves in my neck of the woods since I lined up on launch day to pick one up.

I disagree that Nintendo is artificially creating a shortage. They are supplying multiple markets, all of which have a strong demand for the system and are pushing out roughly a million units a month.
That is a ton of systems and far more than the gamecube was producing in its prime.
You'd have to show statistics where wii monthly worldwide sales were drastically trailing other systems at this stage in its life. And maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the the stats will show this.
And I don't know if you can generalize who these buyers are when roughly just 1% of all americans own a wii.

[quote name='lawdood']Spoken like a true slickdealer/ fat walleter...don't let the door hit you on the way outta this forum. :arrow:[/quote]
Uh, I'm neither, and I've been with this forum longer than you, so...but it's good to know that you have reading comprehension skills, or not...

I've NEVER seen a Wii in the wild. EVER. This is in LA...and I go to a LOT of stores. I've asked constantly.

I have the cash, but no way am I overpaying for one, especially to some douchenozzle craigslist or ebay hoarder/reseller.

But I got lucky today...my friend got one on Sunday from Best Buy, and doesn't want it. So boom I paid him the $250 + tax

There are 3 reasons demand for the Wii is high:
1) Not enough systems available. People want what they can't have. So people are buying them because they are not readily available. This is the biggest reason that these systems are sold so fast.
2) It's the only cheap "next gen" system. Now most gamers will tell you the Wii is not truely next gen and is way behind the 360 and PS3 in graphics. The reality is the average person is willing to spend about $200. $400 and $600 is too much for the average american.
3) People play the system at a friend's house or hear about how cool the motion controler is so they run out and want one because they've only played it for an hour or so at a friend's house.

The reality is that after christmas this year the system will become very available unless some killer apps come out. I expect a lot of the "non gamers" to start selling their systems once the hype is over.

[quote name='psincubus']I still haven't seen a Wii in store since launch.. wtf mate.[/QUOTE]

Same story here. I was EXTREMELY lucky and was able to nab on from JCPenney.com shortly after launch. Since then, I haven't seen a single one anywhere. Not Best Buy, not Target, not Wal-Mart, not Circuit City, not EB/GS, nowhere. I've seen a few PS3's here and there, but not a single Wii.

Hey Indiana, where exactly do you live? I live on the southside. Wanna be my friend in real life? We can help eachother find deals locally. Ok friend? Give me your address.

leatherface_004

i know this was a while back but i was in shreveport visiting about a month ago and the wii shelf at target had six consoles just sitting there...and it was like mid day on sunday between 12 and 2 pm. go figure. i'm kicking myself now for not picking one up but when you're broke...you're broke!

I'm at the Target in Manhattan Beach and there are 4 wiis at the shelf. the dude said they've been here since Sunday.

[quote name='Ed_']I'm at the Target in Manhattan Beach and there are 4 wiis at the shelf. the dude said they've been here since Sunday.[/quote]
So are you actually saying that a siting of stock in one store means most other stores will have a wii instock?:roll:

I still say the shortage is all nintendo.. you cannot tell me that this thing is that hard to mass produce when they are using basically a little better hardware then the Gamecube.. sure they are selling to multiple markets but look at when Sony released the PS2 it was sold all over and had a shortage at first but by the first summer there was not a store you could not find it in.. plain and simple the Gamecube came out and on day one there was not a store you could go into and not find one... they had to many on the market and did not sell like they expected.... They don't want that to happen again and to keep the system hype going make it hard to find..... Im sure alot of people like myself after searching everywhere and finally finding one are real dissapointed when they actually play it... other than the Wii sports I was like this sucks.....

I was lucky enough to get a wii at the bestbuy in silver spring Md. I got there right when it opened, and I got the last wii they had.. after someone got out of line because they told us they were sold out prematurely. Sucks to be that guy, 'cause I got his wii!

They're not that hard to find. Over the past three weeks, I've managed to land like 8. I fully expect to get another few by next week.

[quote name='Zen Davis']They're not that hard to find. Over the past three weeks, I've managed to land like 8. I fully expect to get another few by next week.[/quote]

Wow do you really need like 10 Wii's ? Talk about a hoarder....................

Reselling Wiis for a profit isn't illegal. It's the very basis of Capitalism. Find a need, exploit it, and make a profit. I may not like the practice but I acknowledge it's perfectly within peoples' rights.

Where there is demand, there is profit to be made. Pure and simple.

I do find it funny that the Hoarders are the ones saying "I don't see a shortage." Of course you don't! If you are making the effort to track down, buy and resell Wiis en masse, of course you're not seeing a shortage! You're the one helping to create it!

:roll:

And not helping to create a very "cheapass" environment, I might add.

Look, hoarding these isn't illegal, but it is unethical, and boy, do I hope I still live in a world where ethics matter at least a little. Besides, somethin' tells me a lot of people bleating the "hoarding=capitalism" rhetoric wouldn't be so hot on it if every affluent person on the planet suddenly decided to collectively hoard just about anything they could want, holding items of basic need essentially hostage.

I almost can get with people buying a launch console--ONE--to turn around and pay for their own (you're only going to that well once, after all, for your love of gaming), but anything beyond that I cannot and will not respect. Ever. The only good news about console hoarding is that unlike event tickets and short-run collectibles, the companies keep crankin' 'em out. If only the idiots paying up would realize this and show some fucking restraint for a change.

Yeah, right, jolly.

[quote name='Starkraving']Reselling Wiis for a profit isn't illegal. It's the very basis of Capitalism. Find a need, exploit it, and make a profit. I may not like the practice but I acknowledge it's perfectly within peoples' rights.

Where there is demand, there is profit to be made. Pure and simple.

I do find it funny that the Hoarders are the ones saying "I don't see a shortage." Of course you don't! If you are making the effort to track down, buy and resell Wiis en masse, of course you're not seeing a shortage! You're the one helping to create it!

:roll:[/quote]
The problem is the demand is artificial, like you said, because of the hoarders (oh the demand is still there but hoarding ain't helping) and the profit is petty, get a job folks. It's not illegal but it sure ain't right screwing a gamer out of a wii and making them pay extra because some lazy good for nothing wants to make a few bucks. This isn't capitalism, this is bullshit from greedy bastards, reselling goods at a higher price only hurts the industry. Of course the hoarders won't care as long as they make some money. And why is this thread still up? C'mon Shrike, work your magic and make it disappear.

P.S. Look up capitalism in a dictionary, don't confuse it with being greedy, lazy, and pathetic.

edit: P.S.S. jollydwarf, you are so not jolly. It should be more like crankybitteroldgrandpadwarf ^_^

bread's done
Back