Wii's Virtual Console

CosmosTheMouse

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Well we all know about Wii's virtual console....

Virtual Console: Wii will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a "best of" selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets.

But what I havent heard much about it, is how the games will be downloaded and stored. I know that the option to buy a memory card is obvious.... but is that what the downloaded game will go on to? And what format will these "classic games" be after placed on a card.

I would imagine it's done by some code and the stuff is stored remotely and you're buying an access key to it or something like that.

I hate how they claim it will be a "best of" when Hudson has repeatedly stated that they want to get the rights to every Turbo game. And my gosh, I hope they do.

Also, the fact that they had to explain what the Turbo was is kind of disgusting.

Now we wait for details, and god willing some Saturn and Master System support.

The VC games will be downloaded onto the Wii's internal flash memory (currently 512 MB), which should be more then enough for a ton of games (and Wii gamesaves). Most N64 games are less then 10 MB, while NES and SNES games are less then 1 MB.
I'm sure the games will be in some kind of proprietary format.

Yep and I think the Wii will use SD cards which are really really cheap now. A 1GB card is now $30.

[quote name='David85']Yep and I think the Wii will use SD cards which are really really cheap now. A 1GB card is now $30.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping prices will go slightly down even more, which I think they will, once the Wii is released. I want at least a 4 gig card.

bread's done
Back