Wiiware Pong Toss -- the Lowdown

DrMoze

CAGiversary!
After reading several negative reviews for Pong Toss (aka Beer Pong), I realized that many reviewers missed the point, and that the review scores were misleading. I'd like to provide a more insightful review.

Many people have reviewed PT as a regular game, and dinged it for stuff like lack of depth, only 2 modes, no web-based hi scores, poor graphics, etc. To start, PT is NOT meant to be a pure "video game."

What PT is, plain and simple, is a *simulation* of beer pong. And it is a very good one. It is not a game for underaged kids to play and expect exciting/deep gameplay, nor is it a game to fire up and play to get high scores. No.

PT is simply meant to be played with friends, beer (pitchers or bottles/cans) and cups. Instead of heading to a (usually skeevy) bar to play beer pong, you can do so in the comfort of your own home. No dirty pingpong balls in cups or rolling on the floor, no need to buy or use a table (with 20 cups to fill), no spilled beer everywhere. Just pour a splash in your own cup, drink it when your opponent makes a shot,and repeat. (This addresses the comment I've seen a few times: "Why not just play *real* beer pong?" Convenience!)

As a beer pong sim, this game is a lot of fun. I've played with friends, and it's like a beer pong game in your living room without the mess and hassle. The control is critical, and it works well. Your shot depends on both the range of motion (how far back you start and how much follow-through), and on the speed. After a while, you get used to giving it the right "touch" to make shots more consistently, just like in real life. It feels pretty darn close to the real thing, which is what this simple game is all about. You can use it to PLAY BEER PONG AT HOME!

Graphics are so-so and repetitive taunts are a bit annoying after a while. But the graphics are plenty good for the game, and the pong ball/cup sounds are quite good. Some reviews/comments I've seen complained about lack of explicit beer references (including the changed title). HUH? The game plays just like beer pong, looks like beer pong, and it's not like the players are telling you to drink water! There's nothing to indicate that it's *not* beer!

So, if you're underage, don't bother with this. There are better skill games out there with more variety. If you're a 20-something or older and want to play beer pong at home with friends, I highly recommend this game.

Simple as that.

Hmm.

You know, I could totally go for a more sanitary version of baseball. I've seen that ball fall onto the floor so damn many times. You'd have to hot-potato the remote in order to have full teams (I always see it played with two teams of four, but I guess it could be done with two teams of two), but at least it would mean no more dirt in the cups, and doing the flippy-cup with the remote to steal would be pretty neat.

Don't think I'd actually pay money for that, though.

I've been trying to tell people the same thing about the original "Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego?" for PC. It's not supposed to be a game, people, it is a USA geography and landmarks knowledge stimulator. It's not supposed to be fun, it's supposed to make you into a GENIUS.

[quote name='dothog']I've been trying to tell people the same thing about the original "Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego?" for PC. It's not supposed to be a game, people, it is a USA geography and landmarks knowledge stimulator. It's not supposed to be fun, it's supposed to make you into a GENIUS.[/quote]

Unlike Pong Toss, which is kinda the opposite. ;)

bread's done
Back