Wiiware titles worth owning?

zander1123

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So i am thinking about starting to buy originally wii ware titles. I am looking at titles like world of goo. Are there any other games that worth while?
Note, i am really not interested in older games like Legend of Zelda or Mario stuff.

I'm not going to be the biggest help here since I don't really buy much wiiware but I will say that I had a lot of fun with Bomberman Blast and Dr. Mario Online RX. Bomberman Blast is tons of fun with a couple of friends or playing online (though I'm not sure if people still play online since it was released nearly a year ago [september 2008 to be exact]). Though I have only played the PC version of World of Goo i'm pretty sure its a safe bet. Other notable games, that I have only heard were good and never tried myself, would be: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals: My Life as King as well as LostWinds.

LostWinds
FFIV: The After Years
Onslaught
Strong Bad games
Art Style games
Bit.Trip Beat
Mega Man 9
LIT
Swords & Soldiers
Let's Catch

Ive yet to come across a single wiiware game worth actual money. I hear that muscle game is awesome in a ridiculous way tho. Chances of it hitting the US are slim to none tho, id sure like to try it.

[quote name='EXStrike']LostWinds
Onslaught
Strong Bad games
Art Style games
Bit.Trip Beat
Mega Man 9
LIT
Swords & Soldiers
Let's Catch[/QUOTE]
lost winds sucked such a waste fo money

the art style games are good, orbient is solid
swords and soldiers is great
I really enjoyed lost winds
the upcoming icarian/nyx quest game has gotten high praise
tiki towers and toki tori are underrated

check nintendolife.com to get an idea of what wiiware games are out and good

Lost winds was a good game just too short for the amount of points it cost
Strongbad games were real good, but only if you like point and click games
Megaman 9 was what you would expect from a megaman game
World of Goo was really good
Bomberman Blast is a great party game
Those are the only games that I would recommend to anybody

LostWinds is one of the best games on Wii.
Bomberman Blast is one of the best versions of Bomberman ever created.
Onslaught is an absolutely fascinating FPS, if you invest time to understand it in depth. It is NOT the dumbed-down, simple run-and-gun that critics (and many players) make it out to be.
Bit Trip Beat is really cool.
And Mega Man 9 is, well, frikkin Mega Man 9.

Also, My Aquarium is really relaxing. I've spent many hours with it running on my TV in the background while I sit at my PC.

[quote name='EXStrike']LostWinds
Onslaught
Strong Bad games
Art Style games
Bit.Trip Beat
Mega Man 9
LIT
Swords & Soldiers
Let's Catch[/QUOTE]

Good list. There are a few more that could be added to it:
World of Goo
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
Neves Plus
Bubble Bobble Plus!
Dr. Mario Online RX
Tetris Party
Bomberman Blast
Toki Tori
Bansai Barber
Maboshi’s Arcade

Upcoming notables:
And Yet It Moves
Bit.Trip Core
Bit Boy
Chronos Twin DX
Cave Story
Contra Rebirth
Mecho Wars
Night Game
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
Overturn
Super Meat Boy
Toribash
Tales of Monkey Island
Water Warfare
You, Me, and the Cubes

World of Goo is your first priority. Following that, LostWinds. Both are innovative, a word thrown around so much these days it loses meaning.

World of Goo, Tetris, and Dr. Mario were all worth the investment to me. While I rarely play those games, they are great games that I could pick up at any time. Granted, I was a big fan of Tetris and Dr. Mario prior to their release on WiiWare, so there was nostalgic value, and being able to play them online was a bonus. World of Goo was a game that really took me by surprise. I have found myself many a night playing into the early hours of the morning trying to figure out how to get those goo's in that pipe.

[quote name='steveovig']Can I throw in my vote for Star Soldier R? Great, deep game that's pretty cheap too.[/QUOTE]

A game that forces you to play in a maximum of 5-minute bursts isn't fun. Especially not in a Pac-Man CE kind of fun.

You're better off buying the ACTUAL Star Soldier for the NES VC.

Also:

CAVE STORY

CAVE STORY

CAVE STORY

CAVE STORY

CAVE STORY

CAVE STORY

CAVE STORY

Set aside money for to buy it because it's the best shit ever and it's going to rival or better World of Goo.

I like the strongbad games a lot. Funny stuff and it's fun trying to figure out what to do with the stuff you find.

You can't go wrong with Dr. Mario Online RX. Was happy when this came out. I still remember the days of playing Dr. Mario for the original Nintendo System at my grandparents house with my cousin.

The older Super Mario Bros. games are pretty good. If you like mario games for the nintendo entertainment system.

Good topic. Most WiiWare games seem like crap so I'm also curious what games people recomend. I might pick up Lost Winds now.

I only own 3 WiiWare games:

Mega Man 9 - No explination needed, it's Mega Man
World of Goo - Fun and addicting puzzle game. Reminds me of Lemmings with pyshics
Bit Trip Beat - Think Pong meets Rez. Trippy & Unique.

Heres my list of the top 5 games

1. World of Goo
2. Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
3. Bit. Trip. Beat
4. Bit. Trip. Core
5. Lost Winds

Depends on what you like.
If you like puzzle games you have to go with World of Goo and DR Mario

If you like FPS games then Onslaught is underrated with cool online play.

If you like RTS try Swords and Soldiers.

If you like multiplayer games: Edwardo the Samari Toaster is not deep but a fun artsy contra clone - especially fun with more than one player. Tetris Party is also a blast with friends.

For single player retro platforming try the Adventure Island Remake, and Megaman 9.

So you know I am not just BSing you here is what I own: LostWinds, World of Goo, Dr. Mario RX, Onslaught, Edwardo the Samari Toaster, Adventure Island the Beginning.

My favorites so far have been:

1. World of Goo - Probably the most polished and interesting game available on WiiWare so far. Hard to go wrong here.

2. Mega Man 9 - Probably the best old-school Mega Man game I've played since... Mega Man 3? Yes, I think so. The achievements and bonus features are also a nice addition.

3. Swords & Soldiers - Gameplay is a bit simplistic, but still takes some skill to use your resources effectively. Who would've guessed that a 2D RTS could be so much fun?

4. Bit.Trip Beat/Core - Both awesome games, both at budget pricing. Beat is more interesting for me because of the control method, but Core has better graphics and is a better rhythm game.

5. Tetris Party - Do you like Tetris? This game has tons of features and a great price. The only downside is that the official tournaments are already done... but it's still worth buying for any Tetris fan.

6. Bonsai Barber - A game that encourages short, daily sessions to get the most out of it. Great character and production values, although the theme is completely wacky. Surprisingly good if you give it a chance.

Some games that are good, but not top notch:

1. Magnetica Twist - Controls were better than most reviews indicated, and this game ended up getting tremendous play time from my wife.

2. Art Style: Cubello - Oddly soothing. Not a lot of depth or complex strategy to this puzzle game, but still fun to play in short bursts.

3. Onslaught - FPS from WiiWare? Yes, and it's not a bad implementation. Complaints are that movement is slow and gameplay is quite straightforward... but a good choice as long as your expectations are reasonable going in. Online co-op and competitive multiplayer are a huge bonus, but no deathmatch mode. (For "deathmatch" FPS gameplay, maybe try Water Warfare instead.)

4. Final Fantasy: My Life as King - Personally, I prefer an actual RPG to the city management simulation this game provides... but this can be a pretty engrossing game if you get into it. The upcoming My Life as Darklord sequel looks more appealing for me. (For an actual RPG, check out FFIV: The After Years.)

5. LostWinds - Very very pretty game with interesting platforming mechanics. Slow pacing and lack of enemies make the game a bit easy, and it's also quite short. I'm happy to have it but don't think it would be everyone's cup of tea.

6. Toki Tori - Neat action/puzzler that can get fiendishly difficult in advanced levels. Production values are very nice, but I never quite enjoyed the game as much as some others.

Disappointments I had:

1. Bust-a-Move Plus - The local multiplayer is fun, but presentation is so-so and the single players "puzzles" are often impossible once you reach higher levels. Kind of makes the game feel a bit blargh if you ask me. Not worth buying.

2. Pool Revolution: Cue Sports - Not really bad, and at a great price point, but the motion controls just weren't as good as I wanted. Online play is a nice bonus though!

3. My Aquarium - Ok, I knew what I was buying and am really only disappointed that MP3 support wasn't included.

Regarding Star Soldier R, it's not bad at all but I think that getting the TG-16 game named Soldier Blade on the Virtual Console is a better deal. Very good game at a lower price, with both a score attack and campaign mode.

I'm itching to try Space Invaders Get Even, but the weird pricing model (with a need buy extra levels) has kept putting me off. One of these days, maybe.

If you have friends/family that will play with you and aren't a total retard, TV Show King is totally worth the $10. We have a lot of fun with it when company comes over.

Is Bit.Trip Core/Beat good? I'm thinking about getting them, they seem pretty cool for $5 each.

World of Goo is amazing. I definitely enjoyed that game, and I got it for $8, because someone here won a code and sold it to me.

I just bought Mega Man 9 last night, and I love it. I suck at it (I can't beat Galaxy Man lolz), but it's definitely a great game, and the challenges will keep you playing past when you beat the game once.

bread's done
Back