Wikipost Feature Now on CAG

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]21949[/IMG-R]Wikiposts are just like regular posts, except they can be edited by anyone with a CAG account. This can come in handy when chronicling a ever-changing sale or when making any post that requires frequent updating.

All previous versions of the post are saved and can be restored at any time.

Make your threads editable by the CAG community by clicking the "wikify thread" button at the top of your existing thread or checking the "Is Wiki Editable" box during thread creation. CAG Newbies and CAGs in Training must have edits approved by a CAG Veteran or senior user before changes go live. Those with CAG Veteran status or higher will see pending wikipost edit alerts at the top of applicable threads.

Wikiposts are identified with yellow
[IMG-L=5838]21952[/IMG-L]

Wikipost icon viewable on threads
[IMG-L=5838]21954[/IMG-L]

Version history comparison:
[IMG-L=5838]21951[/IMG-L]

Version history listing
[IMG-L=5838]21955[/IMG-L]

Looking forward to reading your feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapy,

Have you thought of making this mandatory for all threads? (at least in the video games deals forums) Great idea btw. I know you had mentioned it on the cagcast.

[quote name='drsuper23']Cheapy,

Have you thought of making this mandatory for all threads? Great idea btw. I know you had mentioned it on the cagcast.[/QUOTE]

What about the trading forum >_> I think making it mandatory for all threads would be a bit much. This is cool though, thanks Cheapy.

[quote name='drsuper23']Cheapy,

Have you thought of making this mandatory for all threads? Great idea btw. I know you had mentioned it on the cagcast.[/QUOTE]

I have, but I can see many situations where posters would like to update their threads themselves. If they need help (or want to abandon), they can wikify. Also, the temptation to troll other people's OPs might be too great for some to resist.

[quote name='Zaku77']What about the trading forum >_> I think making it mandatory for all threads would be a bit much. This is cool though, thanks Cheapy.[/QUOTE]

You're right. At least for the video game deals forum.

[quote name='reddjoey']What about beefy threads where a single post doesn't make for a good OP?[/QUOTE]

Just PM the poster (or reply in his thread) asking him to wikify. If he doesn't respond and you think it's important his thread be a wiki, you can PM me or a Moderator.

What do you think?

[quote name='CheapyD']I have, but I can see many situations where posters would like to update their threads themselves. If they need help (or want to abandon), they can wikify. Also, the temptation to troll other people's OPs might be too great for some to resist.[/QUOTE]
This. 1,000,000x THIS.

[quote name='CheapyD']Just PM the poster (or reply in his thread) asking him to wikify. If he doesn't respond and you think it's important his thread be a wiki, you can PM me or a Moderator.

What do you think?[/QUOTE]
I think it's going to be a cause for arguments among some posters, as some folks will never be happy with what the OP of a deal thread does to update. I've seen this firsthand in the reduced price guide thread, where people make 'suggestions'(more like demands) for stuff to be added, but then don't want to take the reins and actually update/maintain the post themselves when given the chance to.

Moreover, what if someone goes in and while editing the wikified post slips up and deletes a good portion of the other information in an OP for a thread? Is that information lost for good or can it be undone EASILY?

I can already see where this will cause some arguments. There should be an option to make a secondary wiki post that users can maintain that would be between the first and second posts of a thread but be it's own wholly SEPERATE post.
[quote name='Excast']Sounds like a good idea. It should help to keep the more popular deal threads updated regularly.[/QUOTE]
Most of them are, but some of the threads for the main deals(Kmart, Target, etc) are run by people who update when they get time and some threads require that you actually keep up with them and not just expect the information in a central location.

I kinda prefer those type of threads myself, since at least then that's part of the hunt for a deal and you have less competition that way and there's less chance of someone from SD/FW simply cut/pasting an entire threads OP to those sites.
[quote name='Josh5890']If used the right way, this could work wonders for threads like the Target Clearence thread.[/QUOTE]
I see nothing wrong with the Target thread myself. By reading back a page or two and/or skimming posts I'm able to quickly figure out what else is on clearance and it keeps the deal vultures from swooping in and clearing out my local stores when there may be limited stock.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']what if someone goes in and while editing the wikified post slips up and deletes a good portion of the other information in an OP for a thread? Is that information lost for good or can it be undone EASILY?[/QUOTE]
It can be undone easily.

[quote name='Curufinwe']This should make the videogame deals forum a lot better.[/QUOTE]
I'm still of the mindset on this that the old adage 'too many cooks spoil the soup' fits perfectly here.

You'll have people adding extraneous crap to OP's that are already informative enough and editing stuff they feel NEEDS to be in the OP of threads.

It just won't end well. I'm calling it right now.

You may be right Cheapest. I love this website, and most of the community, but there are some people on here that very much remind you it's the internet. Bickering for the sake of it, being dicks for 100% no reason, throw a couple of them into the mix and this could quickly become an enormous head ache.

At the same time though, it's an awesome idea, and hopefully certain people can up their dosage and chill the fuck out so we can enjoy it! ;)

[quote name='Zaku77']You may be right Cheapest. I love this website, and most of the community, but there are some people on here that very much remind you it's the internet. Bickering for the sake of it, being dicks for 100% no reason, throw a couple of them into the mix and this could quickly become an enormous head ache.

At the same time though, it's an awesome idea, and hopefully certain people can up their dosage and chill the fuck out so we can enjoy it! ;)[/QUOTE]
I'm sure a good percentage of CAG's would consider me to be one of the ones that does the highlighted stuff just for shits n giggles. Although I don't really do it for that purpose, but just that some shit on here irritates me to no end.:bomb:

But I'm trying to tone it down lately, namely so I don't get banned. Otherwise I'd still be my usual charming self.:razz:

I know I'm probably going to regret posting this, because it'll be something really stupid on my end, but I haven't and still don't see the edit post area on the threads tagged as wiki. I don't see the wikify button on threads I started either. I've logged out and cleared cache and tried 3 different browsers. Same results.

[quote name='JP']I know I'm probably going to regret posting this, because it'll be something really stupid on my end, but I haven't and still don't see the edit post area on the threads tagged as wiki. I don't see the wikify button on threads I started either. I've logged out and cleared cache and tried 3 different browsers. Same results.[/QUOTE]Should work now.

I understand the cheapest's concerns. However, to me this addresses the norm and not the exception. Too many OPs go untouched that it becomes annoying. Some may like to search a thread to find out whats new but personally I would rather get the meats and potatoes of what the deal is and not have to read a ton of posts that usually turn into flame wars.

Btw: I'm sure that there are enough people who will keep up with the a-holes that get out of line. I see it all the time when someone posts in the wrong thread or forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CheapyD']Just PM the poster (or reply in his thread) asking him to wikify. If he doesn't respond and you think it's important his thread be a wiki, you can PM me or a Moderator.

What do you think?[/QUOTE]

I'm on the fence as an OP and like CheapestGamer, I have some reservations. Pages like JP's GS thread are too big to be just one wiki post. Are we going to allow for multiple posts to be a wiki? I'm thinking about wiki'ing the XBLA Deal thread, but I'm not 100% on it.

That said, I went back and wiki'ed the old 360 marketplace thread so if anyone wanted to take it over they could.

When I click "Compare", I get an error:
Remote server or file not found

You tried to access the address http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/wikipost.php?do=compare&targetid=144, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the same connection are working.
Check that the setup of any Internet security software is correct and does not interfere with ordinary web browsing.
If you are behind a firewall on a Local Area Network and think this may be causing problems, talk to your systems administrator.
Try pressing the F12 key on your keyboard and disabling proxy servers, unless you know that you are required to use a proxy to connect to the Internet. Reload the page.

Need help?
Open the Opera Help.
Go to Opera's online support desk.

Windows Internet Explorer 8 says "HTTP 500".

Wiki history list:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/wikipost.php?do=history&t=223330

Compare example:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/wikipost.php?do=compare&targetid=144

Thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223330

[quote name='DIRASYAJ X']why not call them cheapypost?[/QUOTE]At least "wiki" fits the definition.

Why couldn't the wiki section be made separate from the original post, similar to how Slickdeals does it? That way the wiki could be included in every thread automatically without having to disrupt the 1st post.

Maybe this way is better; let's wait and see. I don't believe including the latest info in the OP "disrupts" the post.

[quote name='CheapyD']Maybe this way is better; let's wait and see. I don't believe including the latest info in the OP "disrupts" the post.[/QUOTE]Any response to my "Remote server or file not found" message from my post above?

Is there any chance that thread title editing could be added to the wiki feature? I think it would come in handy on the larger constantly updated threads like the steam thread, amazon credit thread, etc.

Are the wiki posts coming back to CAG 3.0? If so, is there an ETA?

This was possibly the most useful feature of this site as you didn't need to rely on the OP to keep things up to date!

bread's done
Back