Wild Arms 5 Thread !!

Derrick1979

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Well here I will start it and sorry if there already is one. So here it is and go nuts talking about anything Wild Arms 5 but please cool to let people know of any possible spoilers...

[quote name='refusedchaos']i like the cover of the box =P[/quote]

LoL just open it any play it already, those sealed launch copies are going to be around for awhile so just snag another one lol....

Why would anyone expect this to go up in value. Every other WA game as far as I have seen goes for about $10-20. I've only played 4 which I thought was only mediocre and then I stopped. The battle system was good, but I found movement in the world annoying.

If this one is an improvement I'll probably pick it up when it gets super cheap :)

[quote name='happy']Why would anyone expect this to go up in value. Every other WA game as far as I have seen goes for about $10-20. I've only played 4 which I thought was only mediocre and then I stopped. The battle system was good, but I found movement in the world annoying.

If this one is an improvement I'll probably pick it up when it gets super cheap :)[/quote]

This game is a huge improvement over 4 in my opinion but you are right that the Wild Arms games do not go up in value hell even the PSone WA games are not worth to much... The only thing that may make this one valuable in the future is the fact that the first print games came in a box with an artbook much like the Dragon Quest VIII box... other than that... well history will repeat itself especially when they flood the stores with the next print that does not come in the box....

[quote name='kiun']Well the DQ VIII 1st print did not go up in value.[/quote]

That is mainly because the Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior name is not as popular here as in Japan and also it did not help that Squre-Enix saturated the hell out of the market with them... lol they may have printed more copies of the game then it sold in dollars....

[quote name='Derrick1979']LoL just open it any play it already, those sealed launch copies are going to be around for awhile so just snag another one lol....[/QUOTE]
u sure? all the GSs and GCs around here only got 2 - 3 copies each on release date :roll:

i want to play it soo badly but the collector in me says nooo!:cry:

[quote name='thekeybladewars']I haven't even played wild arms 4 yet.... any good? :D[/QUOTE]

WA4 sux in my opinion.....though i heard WA5 was great!!

How's the 80pg hardbound artbook? Can anyone elaborate on the contents...like percentage of color illustrations vs. b/w sketches, any info or summary of the Wild Arms series, pics of characters from previous games, etc.? The collector in me wants to buy one asap... although my PS2 is crapping out.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']How's the 80pg hardbound artbook? Can anyone elaborate on the contents...like percentage of color illustrations vs. b/w sketches, any info or summary of the Wild Arms series, pics of characters from previous games, etc.? The collector in me wants to buy one asap... although my PS2 is crapping out.[/QUOTE]

First of all, the artbook is softcover not hardcover. The cover look like something you get from Jehovah witness, the cover is brown with a no frills design saying "the art of wild arms". The art work inside have some great looking color illustrations of all the characters from the previous wild arms series. The first half consists of variety of different pictures, and in second half of artbook displays a brief biography of each character.

Thanks, Fatbeer. Sounds like a great incentive to grab the game. I'm just a bit hesitant because I also wanted to grab Soul Nomad this month and the new PSP Slim N Lite, so money will be tight.

[quote name='refusedchaos']WA4 sux in my opinion.....though i heard WA5 was great!![/QUOTE]
I'd disagree. I loved WA4, and it's my favorite game in the series. I am enjoying WA5, but so far it's nowhere near as good as 4 was.

I'm loving Wild ARMs 5. I'm glad they improved the tool syster from 4 (although, I wish the original system from 1-3 was still around). I'm also glad they kept the dungeon purifying system from 4. World Map is back which is nice, and the search system is only used for finding treasure instead of towns and dungeons which is great.

I'm 30 hours in and about 2/3 of the way through the game. It's a great game, and some of the mechanics (like the ones that I've listed above) have been improved on from 4.

The one thing that upsets me about the game is that, like WA3, you get all your skills from the mediums. Each character can only equip one medium (unlike the 3 you could in WA3), and then the skills are learned similar to the WA4 system.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'd disagree. I loved WA4, and it's my favorite game in the series. I am enjoying WA5, but so far it's nowhere near as good as 4 was.[/quote]

I agree that WA4 was enjoyable. A few of the scenes were epic beyond comparison (Gawn at the end). But, I think they made both improvements and mistakes with the battle system. I love how they brought back character specific skills/spells that was lacking in WA3, but the whole hex thing wasn't that great. Especially considering how you had to stand on a special hex to cast a fire spell, or to summon. I think the original (or Alter Code F even more so) was the best. It embodied what I believe to be the best gameplay system in the series. The force point thing was a new concept that only Wild ARMs had at the time while the characters not only had their own special skills/spells, but also specific force abilities. And, the way that they were all learned was brilliant, especially Jack's Fast Draw techniques. It was a beautiful thing.

I love the Wild ARMs series; it and Suikoden are probably my two favorite RPG series, so I have nothing but love for all 6 of the games.

Quick question. In WA3, you couldn't buy healing items and that really screwed me over because I didn't know that. Yes, I know you can farm them but for some reason, I didn't do it (I had a decent one). So, is it like that in WA5?

[quote name='suko_32']Quick question. In WA3, you couldn't buy healing items and that really screwed me over because I didn't know that. Yes, I know you can farm them but for some reason, I didn't do it (I had a decent one). So, is it like that in WA5?[/quote]

Well, I'm only a couple hours in but I noticed on the world map there are berry trees that you can harvest berries from every so often. Other than that, I don't believe I've seen any in stores yet but I've only been to two towns and only one had a shop. Outside of that I picked up a few from chests along the way.

Hey chaos although your EB/GS may only have a few between two stores here they 10 and already a used one lol..

As for the Wild Arms Series I love the games period just because of the theme they use and so Far it took me a little while to warm up to the Hex Battle system in 4 but once
I got used to it the game is great and I think with 5 they just improved on what they had and the games get better and better... Will they ever be on the same calibur as FF no, but I don't think thats what the developers have in mind and that is why I love the series...

I just beat it couple hours ago. This game sure have abundant amount of secrets, bosses and not to mention tons of cheesy scenes. Actually, way too many boss fights. You will always fight against 3 or more bosses in every dungeon. It get boring really fast. Reusing the same strategy over and over again. Equip the same same 3 medium on every boss fight: sword, luck and water. Sword to take advantage of elemental weakness, luck for steal and water to heal.

Overall, it pretty decent game. Not really outstanding or memorable that stands out from any ordinary jrpg.

[quote name='fatbeer']It get boring really fast. Reusing the same strategy over and over again. [/QUOTE]
If it got boring reusing the same strategy over and over, can't you try using different strategies just to keep things interesting? Just because you CAN beat all the bosses using the same strategy doesn't mean you HAVE to do it that way.

[quote name='oremites']If it got boring reusing the same strategy over and over, can't you try using different strategies just to keep things interesting? Just because you CAN beat all the bosses using the same strategy doesn't mean you HAVE to do it that way.[/quote]

I think the idea is that there's no way to judge a new strategies effectiveness if the other one will still beat the same battle without trouble. Having recently begun FFXII I was happy to see that I've already died a few times by entering various areas poorly equipped and needed to go back and get different licenses. That was the beauty of FFTactics, you could go from being crushed to winning a battle easily by finding the right strategy, and the best strategy changed from battle to battle.

[quote name='oremites']If it got boring reusing the same strategy over and over, can't you try using different strategies just to keep things interesting? Just because you CAN beat all the bosses using the same strategy doesn't mean you HAVE to do it that way.[/QUOTE]

Not much strategy to begin with. You can equip 6 different medium in this game: sky, sea, water, moon, mountain, and luck. All of them give a unique a skill, magic, force skills (sort like limit break), open more accessory slots and stat boost. The more you level up, the better the abilities you get. The problem is each medium comes with fix skill tree, you can't mix and match a variety of skills like final fantasy. You can only equip one medium per character, and 3 party members per fight. You can switch your party members, but it will cost you one turn doing so. So, it's more effective to stick with your main party.

Certain mediums you will use more then others. Healing is essential in every rpg. But in this game, there is limited options. It is either using the sea medium or berries. Berries can't be purchase at shops, they can be acquired from berry trees, stealing or standing on right hex after wining in a battle). Stock these berries are very time consuming, it easier to use sea medium instead. A must have on boss fights.

Stealing medium is another must have medium in this game. Majority of boss fights carry rare items or stat enhancing items. These rare items are need to fusing powerful equipment.

That leaves with one medium to use, it's either moon, mountain, sword or sky. Moon and moutain is kinda useless since they carry pro or anti hex skills. And their stats boost increase defense capabilities not offensive, dragging battles long then they should. You probably use sword medium for it's physical stat bonus with magic attack. Or sea medium for it's magic bonus and magical attack. Very good when paired with proper equipment like dual cast with elder record or terrance tiara

Wow lol I might be one of the few people who likes all the boss fights... To me it keeps it interesting instead of running into 8 million random battles then hitting a boss at the end of a dungeon that turns out to suck and then you have to sometimes wait an hour to hit another one...

The thing I love to see is when your party gets a new combined attack just wish they were more powerful at times...

And one other thing is that a lot of the reviews this game got they harked the graphics which is funny because to a RPG gamer graphics are not everything and besides Tales of the Abyss did not have fantastic graphics for a late PS2 game and that did not stop people from snatching it up..

I'm interested in this game, buthHow's the story of this game and things like battling? The extra things you get with the game is just a art book right?

[quote name='meerkatgamer']I'm interested in this game, buthHow's the story of this game and things like battling? The extra things you get with the game is just a art book right?[/quote]

Yeah it is just an artbook as an extra and it all comes in a box like Dragon Quest VIII did when it was first released..

The story gets interesting the more you get into it and the battle system is great and moves pretty fast.

Over all great Wild Arms game if your a fan of the series

Finished the game. It was fairly enjoyable overall.

Only two things that kindof bothered me, it got kindof slow'ish (story wise) for a little bit and sometimes battles would happen way too often. Drove me insane when I happened to get 5 battles in like 15 steps total.

A couple of the cutscenes were over the top and I wasn't really expecting that kindof thing from anything besides Final Fantasy, lol. Was a nice little surprise that was amusing.

[quote name='Draekon']A couple of the cutscenes were over the top[/QUOTE]
I really enjoyed that, actually. It was pretty amusing.

Another thing I like about Wild ARMs 5 is that it uses the anime flair a lot better than most anime-inspired RPGs.

I just played final fantasy 12 and I got to say I beat the whole game using nothing but cure spells. As for wild arms it does get old fast.

bread's done
Back