Wild West Guns Wiiware = awesome

bmulligan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I got this last week after watching the movies on the Nintendo Channel and I have to say it's met all of my expectations and more. I'm really surprised there's not a thread about this game yet.

z7_Xk1NpMAPpZ0wY0thAt8L3K2uPMrs8.jpg

I've always been a big fan of games like Mad Dog McCree on the Sega CD and, of course, lLethal Enforcers on the Genesis. This game is all that and more. Although I've only completed 3 levels so far, this thing has really great graphics and smooth animations and a great variety of missions (6 levels, 3 missions each level). I'm an old man, so the difficulty is pretty hard for me - I can't seem to get enough to progress to level 4, but I'll get there someday soon. The interesting thing about the scoring system is that it's progressive- each shot multiplies on successive hits without missing

I've regretted selling my sega collection for a long time specifically because I missed the blue and pink Justifier, old west gunslinging action but having this is a more than worthy replacement. Absolutely worth $10, IMO. At least, it's more amusing than the Gyrostar I just purchased and erased.

Unfortunately, I had to delete some things off my WiiMemory to account for the 290 blocks it takes up. Hopefully WiiStorage isn't just a pretty rainbow in the sky.

I'm a sucker for good Lightgun games, and this is a very good Lightgun game :D I wish we could use the Zapper configuration without plugging in the nunchuk and that it kept high scores, but these are trivial matters... tons of fun :)

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']doh. For some reason I came in here thinking it was gonna be Sunset Riders. This is good too though.

sunsetriderssnesscreenswd8.gif
[/quote]

hah i love sunset riders. my cousin and i were playing it last week. snes ftw.

I was going to grab this and Star Parodier but Strong Bad left me with only three free blocks. Still, the Nintendo Channel videos totally sold me on it. The art style really helps it overcome the graphical limitations imposed by distributing through Wii Ware.

how accurate is the aim? i heard it was cursor based and not sight - after playing target terror i gotta admit i am a little hesitant about this one

It's cursor based, not 1:1 but it's really close. Close enough not to be frustrating, although as I said, I've only gotten through level 3.

This is a very good quality WiiWare release with great transitions, menus, and general presentation. It's worthy of a full release and is as good as Ghost Squad, IMO. I probably would have paid $20 for this on a disk.

[quote name='DrMoze']My new standard for Wii gun games: No calibration, no sale. :booty:[/quote]What's there to calibrate for an IR-based cursor on the screen?

[quote name='DrMoze']My new standard for Wii gun games: No calibration, no sale. :booty:[/quote]
I'm pretty sure you can calibrate it as much as is necessary just by moving the sensor bar. :drool:

[quote name='thesimplicity']I'm pretty sure you can calibrate it as much as is necessary just by moving the sensor bar. :drool:[/QUOTE]

This.

Wow I am glad I dont get my wii online (or my PS3 for that matter) right now... I need to finish other games before buying more.

[quote name='daroga']What's there to calibrate for an IR-based cursor on the screen?[/quote]

The aiming of the wiimote/gun,of course. (Check out Ghost Squad, HotD 2/3, etc.) If calibrated, you can use the gun sights (or have generally accurate aiming) when shooting. Without calibration, aiming near the corners in particular often gets flaky. Games play just like a real light gun game with calibration. Aiming response is flaky without it.

Moving the sensor bar simply doesn't work. First.location options are limited. (In fact, I don't have any viable alternatives--my bar sits right on the top middle of my 65" rptv--nowhere else to put it.) And shooting around a large screen needs calibration.

You simply can't get full-screen accuracy by relocating the sensor bar, sorry. It may be somewhat accurate at a certain distance from the screen, but that goes screwy if you sit to the side or at a different distance. I don't want to be stuck sitting in one sweet spot to get reasonable accuracy. A simple 2-corner calibration works wonders for the entire screen, any screen size, no matter where you sit. There's no excuse NOT to add a calibration option for any gun or fps game imo.

bread's done
Back