Will any of TRU/BB/CC/Target take game exchange without receipt?

yuckfou

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So i just got this Blue Dragon game from ebay, into 30 mins of the game, the game froze on the loading screen. Right after you go up from the crash site.
The eBay guy doesnt reply any of my emails.

So i am wondering, if i can go to any of the store (cc/bb/target/tru etc) and ask for an exchange without receipt, the game is still new, its not even 30 days since its release (right ? cmiiw)

Anybody tried this before? ask for an exchange without receipt ? will it work ?

You could try to take it to Wal-Mart, say you got it as a gift (you did, and you gave the guy you bought it from a gift in return ;)) and it doesn't work so you want to exchange it.

You might want to try to contact the publisher. They may issue a replacement disk after you send it the one you have. I did that with a DVD box set I bought once, the video playback would freeze/corrupt (depending on what I played it on) and they told me to send them the disc and they would send a replacement.

@Jedi1979:
I have the same cats as the two in your sig, except my are blue (grey) instead of black. Right down to the weights.

it is opened
i just called Microsoft, and they said they can't process my request since the xbox im using is actually my roommate's so they need my roommate the actual owner to call, and they also said since its bought on eBay, there will be a problem for exchange. Anyway, i just need my roommate to call them.

Will also try wal mart

thanks for the tips

[quote name='yuckfou']it is opened
i just called Microsoft, and they said they can't process my request since the xbox im using is actually my roommate's so they need my roommate the actual owner to call, and they also said since its bought on eBay, there will be a problem for exchange. Anyway, i just need my roommate to call them.

Will also try wal mart

thanks for the tips[/quote]

Why'd you mention eBay? :D

you could buy a new copy, use the recipt to exchange your ebay copy. Later on sell the new copy on ebay.

[quote name='Tsukento']Take it up with the person you bought it from. Exchanging it at a store you didn't buy it from is a form of fraud.[/quote]

Yup he speaks the truth. Those other two posters could end you up in trouble. It's scum like that which makes item returns to stores impossible w/o a receipt now a days.

The seller hasn't reply to any of my email, its getting frustrating..... it takes 2 whole week for the item to arrive to my hand, and now this problem.

Anyway thanks for the advice, i am thinking to rent a copy from blockbuster or any other rental store just to past that freeze point, hopefully after that point the game will run smoothly

[quote name='yuckfou']The seller hasn't reply to any of my email, its getting frustrating..... it takes 2 whole week for the item to arrive to my hand, and now this problem.[/quote]

Did you pay using Paypal? File a claim if you did. The seller probably knew it froze up at that point and decided to sell it, not mentioning it's screwed up.

[quote name='Dhuk']Yup he speaks the truth. Those other two posters could end you up in trouble. It's scum like that which makes item returns to stores impossible w/o a receipt now a days.[/QUOTE]
Of course, what legitimate reason do you have to return without a receipt?

I wasn't telling him to do it, I have just had to return something without a receipt at Walmart (I did purchase it from there). I also don't think he was switching his disc with the rental copy, I think he was saying he was going to play past the point his disc is freezing at and then try using his again.

By the way lanleague, having a product that worked fine at first, a lot of people don't keep receipts (though I learned my lesson). It is later on they find out something is wrong with it and no longer have the receipt since they thought it worked.

[quote name='Dhuk']Yup he speaks the truth. Those other two posters could end you up in trouble. It's scum like that which makes item returns to stores impossible w/o a receipt now a days.[/quote]

And people like me, who back in the day had a whole dresser drawer full of Geoffrey Bucks and credit slips from EB Games. I loved that EB always had varying prices between stores in the same district and as long as the game was still sealed, you could take it back to another store with a higher price.

Yes, I was naughty, but that was back in the day. But, maybe I am partially to blame for the 'no return' policy, since I noticed that EB went from 'full refund without receipt' to 'taking it in as a used trade in' to 'no deal at all' after a while of me flipping games from one store of theirs to another with the no receipt returns.

And, TRU just recently stopped the no receipt returns, though I hadn't done any of those at their stores in YEARS now, probably since the PS1 era.

And OP, why the hell did ya mention getting it from Ebay? Oh and IN BEFORE THE LOCK!!

[quote name='soonersfan60']Tell them your name is yuckfou on CAG and the stores will do anything you want.[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='soonersfan60']Tell them your name is yuckfou on CAG and the stores will do anything you want.[/QUOTE]

/end thread

[quote name='IAmTheBiggestInuyashaFan']I wasn't telling him to do it, I have just had to return something without a receipt at Walmart (I did purchase it from there). I also don't think he was switching his disc with the rental copy, I think he was saying he was going to play past the point his disc is freezing at and then try using his again.

By the way lanleague, having a product that worked fine at first, a lot of people don't keep receipts (though I learned my lesson). It is later on they find out something is wrong with it and no longer have the receipt since they thought it worked.[/quote]

Which is why they keep copies of reciepts in their database. Its pretty easy to get a copy of your reciept with 1 call, especially if you paid via credit card

I'd try the game on a different 360 if possible, its just odd that it would freeze with no scratches on the disc.

[quote name='Brian9824']Which is why they keep copies of reciepts in their database. Its pretty easy to get a copy of your reciept with 1 call, especially if you paid via credit card

I'd try the game on a different 360 if possible, its just odd that it would freeze with no scratches on the disc.[/quote]

Bad presses do happen you know.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']is renting and switching the discs illegal? in that scenario[/quote]
Very much so. Plus they could easily pin the blam on you for bringing back a broken game when the next person to rent it complains. Whoever you rent it from could easily look up who the last person was to rent it.

[quote name='Tsukento']Very much so. Plus they could easily pin the blam on you for bringing back a broken game when the next person to rent it complains. Whoever you rent it from could easily look up who the last person was to rent it.[/QUOTE]
They have insurance on the discs. I once rented a copy of Tony Hawk's Project 8 for the PS3 and it simply would not play. BluRay discs don't scratch (This one was not an exception) so that was not the problem.

[quote name='lanleague']They have insurance on the discs. I once rented a copy of Tony Hawk's Project 8 for the PS3 and it simply would not play. BluRay discs don't scratch (This one was not an exception) so that was not the problem.[/quote]
The hell? Are Blu-Ray discs made out of rubber or something?

[quote name='Tsukento']The hell? Are Blu-Ray discs made out of rubber or something?[/quote]
Sort of... they have a anti-scratch polymer coating on them called Durabis. It's supposed to resist 50 grit sandpaper.

EDIT: Scratch that... Some have Durabis, others have various proprietary hard-coatings. All BDs have some form of scratch protection.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']is renting and switching the discs illegal? in that scenario[/quote]Yes it is. The store is giving you copy A to rent and use, and when you return copy B, which isn't the disc(s) they gave you, you've just violated your rental agreement.

[quote name='mguiddy']Sort of... they have a anti-scratch polymer coating on them called Durabis. It's supposed to resist 50 grit sandpaper.

EDIT: Scratch that... Some have Durabis, others have various proprietary hard-coatings. All BDs have some form of scratch protection.[/quote]
Well I'll be. Ya learn something new everyday.

Not only that shrike, but if I'm not mistaken, some places like Blockbuster slap a sticker on top of their game discs so that they know it's their copy. Swap discs and they'll know about it. :p

[quote name='Tsukento']Not only that shrike, but if I'm not mistaken, some places like Blockbuster slap a sticker on top of their game discs so that they know it's their copy. Swap discs and they'll know about it. :p[/quote]Yeah, forgot about that, now that you mention it. Shows how often I rent games, doesn't it?

I thought Blockbuster did away with those proprietary stickers, since they were horrid in the PS1/PS2 era, difficult to get off of PV games and I think that sticker unbalanced the one game inside my PS2, causing some major f ups.

I know the last time I bought PV games from them, NONE of them had the stickers on them, so it might be possible to swap them out. Still in the 'grey' area of 'naughty', but you don't think other people do that?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I thought Blockbuster did away with those proprietary stickers, since they were horrid in the PS1/PS2 era, difficult to get off of PV games and I think that sticker unbalanced the one game inside my PS2, causing some major f ups.

I know the last time I bought PV games from them, NONE of them had the stickers on them, so it might be possible to swap them out. Still in the 'grey' area of 'naughty', but you don't think other people do that?[/quote]
Yeah, I don't think my local Blockbuster does that with DVDs.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']is renting and switching the discs illegal? in that scenario[/quote]

remember, its not illegal if you dont get caught!:booty:

you should really take this up with the seller and ebay. He sold you a non working game. If you paid via paypal, then contact them and file a complaint. Scamming Walmart/Best Buy to get a working copy makes you no better than the guy that sold you the bummed copy.

[quote name='CheapAssAsian']remember, its not illegal if you dont get caught!:booty:[/quote]

LOL I thought I had that phrase copyrighted. Ahhhh well......eventually you'll get 'pinched' in some way, shape or form. Either the stores will change their return policy or limit the number of no receipt returns you can do. That's what happened with EB Games and TRU. Before they changed policies, they were great bout 'naughty' returns, but now they suck.

Then again, I knew someone who was such a klutz with receipts, you'd hand them a regular receipt with a game given to them as a gift and less than a week later, it disappeared in the black hole like qualities of their room.

My one buddy hadn't cleaned his room at his families house in over 4-5 years. I was afraid to go in there to play a game on the PS2 outta fear that if I sneezed, I'd be crushed by an avalanche of stuff. :whistle2:#

My closet isn't much better at my house though, since I have one little space to stand in my walk in closet. I have a stack of PS1 games right in the middle, a PS1/LCD combo still in the Kmart bag and just innumerable games and game cases all strewn throughout. I really gotta clean, one of these days. LOL

Sorry to go off on a tangent there, but I just wanted to clarify that SOME 'no receipt returns' are due to people being totally cluttered and not remembering where they put the receipt, as opposed to just being out and out return fraud.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']is renting and switching the discs illegal? in that scenario[/quote]Most rental places place a sticker or mark the disc.

bread's done
Back