Will any Torx T8 screwdriver open a Wireless Xbox 360 Controller?...

SEGA128DC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Hmm, my little cousin really needs to open his Wireless Xbox 360 Controller to clean it because the analog sticks are not responding correctly. I'm guessing the controller is really dirty inside? Anyway, will any Torx T8 screwdriver open the controller or will only a specialized 'Tamper Proof' (hole in the tip) Torx T8 security bit screwdriver work?...

It is to my understanding only the tamperproof one will work. I have tried using one of my own T8 bits and was unsuccessful in getting the bit to fit. So yes, your best bet would be to get the special bit.

You will need a security T8 screwdriver (the one with the hole in the middle). Ebay would work in finding one, but since you are in the chicagoland area, I would check Microcenter or Fry's if you don't want to wait for shipping. Also, I don't believe you buy the T8 by itself at those stores though, but a set of the screwdrivers should be around $6-$20 depending on how nice you want them to be and the amount of screwdrivers in the set.

You can also open them up with a small precision flat tip (I forget the exact size.) I didn't have a security bit, and couldn't find one ANYWHERE in town when I needed to open mine for cleaning, and used a precision instead. Works just fine, albeit tough to break the screws loose initially. Also, the security pin can be popped off pretty easily, allowing you to use any T8 bit you get your hands on.

bread's done
Back