Will females have a better chance of getting hired...

[quote name='Sigma']As a former manager of Gamestop I can tell you with much confidence, YES. But there is a catch, they will only hire females who are attractive unless the manager is a female. I've seen and worked with many women who had no clue when it came to video games, but they were hot and they sold a lot.

So basically if you are an attractive female and you walk into a Gamestop and ask for an application and turn it in, expect a phone call within the week if the store is actually hiring. Also expect to be poorly trained (if at all), get awful hours, close to minimum wage pay, and you will be hit on by every nerd that comes into the store.

Gamestop has gotten progressively worse as a company ever since the merger. A lot of shady activity goes on in the company and they have one of the highest turn over rates in the U.S. for employment. I worked there for 5 years and saw my staff change 4 times, district mangers change 2 times, and three different store managers. As well as a couple of managers in training that left before they got moved up (probably because they were being trained for the better part of a year!).

The company is ass backwards in almost everything they do, outside of ripping customers off on a daily basis and making sure customers continue to shop and trade in there.

The discount there is merely alright and isn't great, you get 15% off new games and 25% off used (you need an EDGE card for that extra 10%). The discount does not apply towards NEW consoles.

Of course that is only my experience working in the Indiana area Gamestop stores, but from what I have heard other employees tell me and read about online, my district wasn't the only awful one.

This is true, they will find a way to fire someone with video game knowledge. I am vastly knowledgeable about video games and I could sell like crazy and they got rid of me, same with a couple of my friends I used to work with. I've always thought the store manager looked at me as a threat to his job because I out sold him on a weekly basis for 3 years and was vocal about wanting to move up from assistant to store manager.

Oh btw, Gamestop has the policy. You can have 0% knowledge of the product they sell and a little sales experience or a cute face and a nice rack. Either way it's a hard sell when the only controller you know how to use looks like a toy guitar.[/QUOTE]
To comment on Sigma's 2nd post, that makes sense about the 60/40

I know that if I were hired for Geek Squad...I'd be fired. I wouldn't be able to maintain lies and half-truths. While I have worked plenty of retail jobs in my days...I've always felt bad about lying to customers. And I've seen some of the prices geek squad charges. And I know how EASY some of the stuff is (IE: installing ram)

I'd rather tell them where to find the product in store and give them simple instructions on how to install it themselves or run the programs to clean their computers than rack up my sales goals with pointless shit. Or try to upsell them shit they don't need. And this is why I'm actively pursuing a non-public pc tech job!

BUT...if I were a shareholder, I'd actually want 70/30 sales to knowledge. Few people actually know what these people are doing and even worse, some people don't want to know what these people are doing. They just like the way the geek squad member (or any sales associate for that matter) looks or speaks or carries him/herself. If they really wanted information, they'd easily hop on google and find out.

So you might as well have people who can sell...

[quote name='Chuplayer']Girl? Yes. Asian girl? Hell yes.[/QUOTE]

When I applied at Gamestop and I couldn't track the manager down because he literally opened and then called someone into cover for him and then took three days off, I finally found him and the guy said he was in an interview, so I waited. An hour and a half. Nobody could figure out what was taking so long until he walked out with the person he was interviewing; an 18-year-old Asian girl in a skirt.

Suddenly it all made sense.

[quote name='Survivalism']When I applied at Gamestop and I couldn't track the manager down because he literally opened and then called someone into cover for him and then took three days off, I finally found him and the guy said he was in an interview, so I waited. An hour and a half. Nobody could figure out what was taking so long until he walked out with the person he was interviewing; an 18-year-old Asian girl in a skirt.

Suddenly it all made sense.[/QUOTE]
No surprise there. The DM when I was still with the company was messing around with this little goth chick from our neighboring district forever and before that DM I had another one who was fired for hooking up with female employees.

My district also had a chick who was a store manager and fairly attractive also had no video game knowledge, but at the conference a few years back she slept with the lead singer from Alien Ant Farm and hilarity ensued.

It's kind of sad that they'd hire people for looks over knowledge. I suppose most of the customers already know what they want when they shop there though. If I applied there I'd have more than enough knowledge to 'pass'. They need those who collect and play games, not just someone to push the buttons on the register.

Come to think of it one of my local stores must have done this. There was one girl who appeared to be trying too hard (maybe she was told to?). I mean who would wear heels and too much eye makeup to work at GS? It seemed odd and she's no longer there.

Attractive girls have a better chance of getting hired anywhere. Attractive girls are familiar with this phenomenon and need not inquire.

Conclusion: Attention-whoring OP is an attention whore.

If any of you guys ran GameStop it would be run to the ground. Their goal is not to have a bunch of neckbeards with vast knowledge of Final Fantasy who will scream at you and talk down to you whenever you buy a bad game but people who sell fucking games, you don't really need any gaming knowledge to do that just be a good salesman. I think an attractive girl would sell games better than all of you.

Oh, ouch. What if you don't shop there to begin with because it's against your morals and I can find much better deals anywhere else?

No offense OP.

[quote name='Koggit']Attractive girls have a better chance of getting hired anywhere. Attractive girls are familiar with this phenomenon and need not inquire.

Conclusion: Attention-whoring OP is an attention whore.[/QUOTE]

Hey now. I never said ATTRACTIVE girls, just girls in general! I've never had a job at Gamestop so I was just wondering whether they value knowledgable over superficial workers. That is all.

[quote name='Koggit']Attractive girls have a better chance of getting hired anywhere. Attractive girls are familiar with this phenomenon and need not inquire.

Conclusion: Attention-whoring OP is an attention whore.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I don't think feminists are looking for those types.

[quote name='VertigoMotel']every girl is an attention whore eh?

lol canadian eh[/QUOTE]

nah just the ones on the internet lol

[quote name='5of9']And check out the totally related video.

[]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR3ndy0e-k[][/QUOTE]

if you look anything like teh O-Munn then yes.

but in all seriousness, to echo most of the other comments, if you are qualified and they need the position filled, then you're in. you being of the female persuasion is just icing.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']Seriously OP, post a pic of yourself so that we can assess your ummm... 'competence.'[/QUOTE]

image.php

[quote name='2DMention']
image.php
[/QUOTE]
OP is a very pretty girl. You'd get the job, but if I were you I would go for a management/key holder spot otherwise your hours will be sparse, especially during the Summer.

Submitted an application today. The manager told me they aren't hiring, so it's very unlikely I will get the job. *shrugs*

I don't think they discriminate for any reasons (sex, race, sexual orientation etc). If they did that, and you knew (and could prove it) you could sue them. I live close to 2 gamestops and each of them have 2-3 girls working (at each) one of which is a manager. sorry you didn't get the job, but most of the time it matters who you know ;) (where i live anyways)

[quote name='nicoleee']Submitted an application today. The manager told me they aren't hiring, so it's very unlikely I will get the job. *shrugs*[/QUOTE]

guess you didnt wear your i need a job outfit lol
( low cut top short skirt)
its the only outfit endorsed by the qualified universal employment empowerment femnation.

Apply for a real job. That pays real money. And has a union so you can be a moderate fuckup and never get fired.

Watch the movie Glengary Glen Ross if you want an idea of what it's like to really work for Gamestop.

I have a couple of positions you might be interested in Op...ah sorry I couldn't help myself.

Sucks you didn't get the job at GS but honestly I don't think it's that great a place to work, I remember those vids that dude posted on Youtube about working there and it sounded a bit shitty.

[quote name='benjamouth']I have a couple of positions you might be interested in Op...ah sorry I couldn't help myself.

Sucks you didn't get the job at GS but honestly I don't think it's that great a place to work, I remember those vids that dude posted on Youtube about working there and it sounded a bit shitty.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Yeah, I've heard some mixed reviews about working at Gamestop, but my friends, who happen to be Gamestop fanboys, made the job seem amazing. Oh well, I got a job up in New York instead.

just got back from paying off alan wake and the new girl at my local gamestop is SMOKING....i walked in expecting to see hippie dude, asian manager guy, happy fat man or goth chick who would look good if she wore normal make up and removed all the piercings and I got Natalie Portman's younger sister. SCORE!

[quote name='BigPopov']It's not bad but it's not a real career. No real future or pay there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, cause they dont have district or regional managers, vp's or any other career level other than in-store bitch or customer service center. The whole company is run at the store level and company wide decisions are made by voting on a numbered box like on America's Funniest Videos

:roll:

I was making reference to the retail level of a Gamestop position, which is what most of this thread is referring to. Way to take things out of context.

[quote name='Malik112099']just got back from paying off alan wake and the new girl at my local gamestop is SMOKING....i walked in expecting to see hippie dude, asian manager guy, happy fat man or goth chick who would look good if she wore normal make up and removed all the piercings and I got Natalie Portman's younger sister. SCORE![/QUOTE]

Did you stick it in her pooper?

[quote name='BigPopov']I was making reference to the retail level of a Gamestop position, which is what most of this thread is referring to. Way to take things out of context.[/QUOTE]

I didnt take anything out of context. If you go into an entry level position and do well and work your way up there is plenty of room expand into the company starting from an in-store position. I have a friend that started out working in Best Buy and he stuck with it. 10 years later he is like a manager of regional strategic marketing.

[quote name='Malik112099']just got back from paying off alan wake and the new girl at my local gamestop is SMOKING....i walked in expecting to see hippie dude, asian manager guy, happy fat man or goth chick who would look good if she wore normal make up and removed all the piercings and I got Natalie Portman's younger sister. SCORE![/QUOTE]
....so did you get that number???

Because if you didn't, it didn't matter if it was some fat bald man or ugly hideous woman...

[quote name='strongpimphand']....so did you get that number???

Because if you didn't, it didn't matter if it was some fat bald man or ugly hideous woman...[/QUOTE]

im married....but I did make it a point to tell my wife how hot the new girl at Gamestop is

pimphand is right, it doesn't really make a difference if you didn't act on it. I see hot chicks working at stores all the time, it doesn't make them hotter if they work at GS. And I wouldn't call it a score.

[quote name='tcrash247']pimphand is right, it doesn't really make a difference if you didn't act on it. I see hot chicks working at stores all the time, it doesn't make them hotter if they work at GS. And I wouldn't call it a score.[/QUOTE]

true but if shes actually good at games then that would mae a hot chick even hotter.......and if she can cook ..........and has female "friends" who come over for tickle fights...........

[quote name='tcrash247']Did you stick it in her pooper?[/QUOTE]

No, but she stuck in in his when he traded in Madden 09 for $0.50...in store credit.

bread's done
Back