Will Intel HD 4000 work for older or indie titles?

ECisMe

CAGiversary!
I'm getting a Lenovo ThinkPad for school with an Ivy Bridge i5, because I'm mainly going to be using the laptop for school work. But, I figure I may want to dabble in some older GOG titles or some indie stuff off the Humble Store. Will Intel HD 4000 work okay at this level? Will I be able to play games smoothly on TV via the laptop's HDMI out?

I've been using a Gateway laptop with an i5-3337u/HD4000 setup with 8GB of RAM, and while you're not going to be running new stuff real well, I've had no issue with games like Skyrim or ME3 on low settings and slightly lower than native resolution. TF2 runs great at native res, as do the few indie games I've tried (mostly, Rogue Legacy). I managed games like Oblivion, Modern Warfare 2, and a lot of classic D&D games, KoToR, etc. even on a pre-HD Intel chipset; I see no reason they'd be any worse now.

Most of the stuff you want to play will probably work fine, although with HDMI-out you might want to keep things at 720p or so. I haven't found Steam's big picture mode to be really well optimized either, but I'm also limited to 128MB of dedicated RAM for the HD4000 the way Gateway's locked my BIOS.

If there's anything specific you want me to test, let me know and I'll try to try it.

I have much older computers with 1/2 the power your machine has and it runs older and current indie games and many other games with no problem. Just check the specs to the game and you will be fine. Shit, I got a machine that is on it's 18th year of service in my basement that has a ton of games the most recent is SMRPG and it runs like water.

Will Intel HD 4000 work okay at this level? - For most of the games you plan to run, yes

Will I be able to play games smoothly on TV via the laptop's HDMI out? - That depends. You might be able to pull some 720p output, maybe. But if you are thinking about plugging into a 42" 1080p TV and using it like that then think again.

bread's done
Back