Will PS3 overheat?

I've had my ps3 on for quite some time (about a day) and didn't, and haven't, had any problems-- its extremely well-built.

The fan adjusts it's speed (and noise) depending on how hot the system is running. If the system is particularly loud from the minute you turn it on, it's probably due to the weather (it's been pretty hot here in San Diego the last week). If it's extremely loud I wouldn't play more than a few hours at a time.

When I forget to open the cabinent doors where my PS3 is located, it'll "overheat" and start running very loud. A message even appears on screen telling me the system is running too hot. Like espy605 said, its the fan running faster.

And even so, if your PS3 starts running too hot to the point that it's dangerous to the system, it will automatically shut down just like your computer would.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']And even so, if your PS3 starts running too hot to the point that it's dangerous to the system, it will automatically shut down just like your computer would.[/quote]

That, and the computer shutdown point, are cutoff points that are there to prevent permanent damage. While both the PS3 and PCs can run in hot temperatures, doing so constantly and for long hours will reduce the life of components, especially fragile parts like the hard drive.

[quote name='Raymond']That actually made me feel better. I don't want to spend another $30 to get a cooler.[/quote]

Don't the intercoolers actually hurt more than they help in the case of the PS3? Or am I just making that up...

[quote name='espywork']That, and the computer shutdown point, are cutoff points that are there to prevent permanent damage. [/quote]That's good to know. I haven't had mine shut-off yet, but I have moved it to a more ventilated area just in case since it folds for 8+ hours a day when I'm at school.

[quote name='Milkyman']some website ran the ps3 in a sauna and it came out fine[/quote]

Sweet. I was looking for a gaming system to go in my sauna.

when you put some ps2 disks into the machine and play for hours the fan will drive you up the wall as it whirr's around and around you will need a fan if you like me use your ps3 for regular 2/3 hour usage.

bread's done
Back