Win a free Nintendo Wii from HonestGamers

honestgamer

CAGiversary!
Like a dork, I posted this on the wrong forum first, so now I'm posting it here to make ammends. I just thought you'd all want to know that my site (HonestGamers) is giving away one free Nintendo Wii.

You can find contest details here:

http://www.honestgamers.com/contests.php

Basically, you sign up for a free site account, then contribute. Users get points for every forum or blog post (and lose points for spamming worthless content), and also for contributing reviews and cheats and other content. Then they spend those points on virtual tickets for the drawing, which will be held on December 10. People can purchase as many tickets as they like, and tickets are good for other prize drawings held during the next 6 months. Anyone who wants to win will need to have a US address in queue, as that's the only place the Wii will be shipped once a winner is announced.

I will be promoting this contest wherever I can, because I think it's a really sweet deal. I was fortunate to be at Wal-Mart at the right time--my wife was picking up her paycheck--and I paid for this out of pocket. It's not been taken out of the box or anything, so you're totally going to love life if you win. Consider trying for it even if you already have a Wii, just to give it to a lucky friend or relative!

Good luck to you for sure, but remember that to win anything, you actually have to participate on the site!

[quote name='honestgamer'] to win anything, you actually have to participate on the site![/quote]
That my friend, is not cool. It should be a contest, not a trick to make users come on the site for a contest. I understand if you only have to register but particiipate? Count me out, i'm on to many sites already. =(

Its to keep out the lazy people.

*points and laughs*

Anyways, HG be careful of people spamming stupid entries, I've seen some of the stuff on your site and felt "Is this serious?" like seeing a list of achievements copy/pasted from GameFAQS under codes/cheats on a game. Think I saw that googling Oneechanbara Vortex actually.

[quote name='SanjiX']That my friend, is not cool. It should be a contest, not a trick to make users come on the site for a contest. I understand if you only have to register but particiipate? Count me out, i'm on to many sites already. =([/quote]

Why would he want people to register that aren't going to do anything on the site and are only there to win a wii?

Your site violates copyrights. If you check the FAQS, some say they are to be only on GameFAQS and IGN and yet you violate that anyway.

you have to register to this site just to enter the comp?? i really don't want all the fuss of stopping the e-mail spamming afterwards, i know a nintendo wii for free, but seriously there is no reason for anyone to give a wii for free to anyone, therefore there must be some type of...advertising scam.

[quote name='nailz_jaggzy']you have to register to this site just to enter the comp?? i really don't want all the fuss of stopping the e-mail spamming afterwards, i know a nintendo wii for free, but seriously there is no reason for anyone to give a wii for free to anyone, therefore there must be some type of...advertising scam.[/quote]

Did you get spam for signing up here? Do you get spam for being a member on IGN? It's hard to get a new gaming site off the ground, the Wii is just a way to get in new members, and the ticket system wich gets you entries into the Wii drawing is just a way to get people to participate, not just sign up, be innactive, and still walk awayy with a prize.

[quote name='help1']Your site violates copyrights. If you check the FAQS, some say they are to be only on GameFAQS and IGN and yet you violate that anyway.[/quote]

I feel the need to defend my site's honor in that case, and to respond to other comments in this thread.

Awhile back, I went on a FAQ hunt. I went through GameFAQs contacting numerous authors about their FAQ material. I did that personally, by hand, and kept a spread sheet with the info to avoid contacting them twice. It took me a few hundred hours, since I looked through the FAQs personally rather than using a script.

Around 70% of the more than 2000 authors never responded. Most of the other 30% or so wrote back to say that I could use their FAQs. Many of those FAQs had notes like the one you saw. Most people granted permission but said they wouldn't update their notes, or that they would on the next update. I keep copies of all e-mails granting permission to host FAQs in special folders, in case I ever need them.

My site has an excellent reputation on GameFAQs and on other sites precisely because we take copyright concerns VERY seriously. Rest assured that the content is hosted with approval from the original author(s).

As for the giveaway being an advertising scam, I'm not really sure what to say. It's a promotion. That means I spent money on a system, and now I'm giving it away to one contributor in hopes that many will be inspired to participate for a chance to win the prize. I never pretended to do anything else. If you consider that a scam, I guess it is.

You don't get spam for signing up on my site. On the submission form, there's a box to check if you want the site's newsletter, which doesn't come out more than a few times a year. If you don't want it, you don't get it. You also get one e-mail confirming your account details. Most contributors never get anything more than that, and the e-mail addresses aren't sold to outside advertisers.

HonestGamers is a smaller site looking to grow larger through high-quality content. I can't afford to buy and give away systems just because users sign up and forget about the site. We're looking for skilled users who enjoy contributing to a dynamic community. The Wii giveaway is a way to let people know about the site and to give them a chance to learn about the many other things it offers (and it offers a LOT). Someone will win this Wii, without spending a dime, without doing anything more than write about games they love or otherwise participate on the HonestGamers site. I think that's pretty cool.

I wanted to point out that your site is now bad to me, as it doesn't like my generic password since its too short :( BOO!

Other than that though... password limitations mumble mumble...

An awfully bitchy crowd in here, it seems. Hopefully this contest will actually get some people with creative talent to write stuff rather than attract a lot of people who just bring a lot of piss-poor efforts to the table to win the Wii.

[quote name='Chacrana']An awfully bitchy crowd in here, it seems. Hopefully this contest will actually get some people with creative talent to write stuff rather than attract a lot of people who just bring a lot of piss-poor efforts to the table to win the Wii.[/quote]

I do my best to hassle him since his avatar on a certain awesome game magazine site is.. A FROG! So I've made it my point to complain about stupid things that bug me or odd things he should add =P

My avatar there is a frog because it was one of the initial options and I was too lazy to post a new one of my own. Although, to be fair, I did use a frog avatar back in the early days of Yahoo! Chat. It was the one from that one old Warner Bros. cartoon that dances around with a top hat.

We're wandering from the real topic here, though, which is the fact that good writers have a real chance at a Nintendo Wii!

bread's done
Back