Windows 7 Beta Discussion

Anyone know if there's a native way to format in FAT32 in Windows 7? And if there isn't, can any of you recommend me a third party formatter?

I don't give a shit about exFAT since nothing else supports it, even if it's technically better.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Question, the upgrade for Win 7. If I have XP Home, will the upgrade copy still work? There is no way in hell I am buying Vista.[/QUOTE]

No, you have to do a clean install from xp

MS announced their pricing structure:

for upgrades:
Windows 7 Home Premium, $119.99.
Windows 7 Professional, $199.99.
Windows 7 Ultimate, $219.99.

for the full versions:
Home Premium: $199.99.
Professional: $299.99.
Ultimate: $319.99.

Pre-order a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for $49** or a Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for $99.** The offer begins on June 26, 2009 and will continue while supplies last, or until July 11, 2009, whichever comes first.

I'd like to know how the Upgrade version works as well. I have the full Vista Home Premium, does Win7 Upgrade install OVER that? It would suck to have to install Vista fully just to install Win7.

Or you can you still do a fresh install of Win7 without Vista being installed, as long as you have the DVD/cdkey or something?

[quote name='Dezuria']I'd like to know how the Upgrade version works as well. I have the full Vista Home Premium, does Win7 Upgrade install OVER that? It would suck to have to install Vista fully just to install Win7.

Or you can you still do a fresh install of Win7 without Vista being installed, as long as you have the DVD/cdkey or something?[/QUOTE]

I would imagine if all you have is a Vista license (like most users since PC makers don't give the physical media) you would have to install Vista and install the 7 upgrade over it. Otherwise how would they verify you own a prior version?

If it works like my XP disc then it will prompt you to insert a disc from a prior version when you do a format install. I would throw my Win 98 CD in the drive and that would do the trick.

I've been using the RC since it came out.

My god, this is fantastic. Peek is the best thing to happen to the Windows UI since the Start menu. Being able to open additional instances of apps by middle clicking them in the taskbar is awesome. Shake is a hell of a lot more useful than I would have ever guessed it'd be. Love it. And good lord, per-application recent document lists, with pinnable items. This is the innovation that has finally made me willing to use and love the new start menu layout (I've been using the classic design, all the way up to Vista. I was quite the diehard).

There are so many little new details that I love. Calculator now shows recent operations, so I'm not constantly second-guessing if I put in the right numbers or not. Also, I love the way that Wordpad now has a button to launch Paint to insert a picture. I'm pretty sure that that's supposed to be a little wink to us folks who remember Windows 3.1.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best, most useful, most functional GUI ever designed thus far (linuxtards can take their compiz and shove it). At least, it sure is for me.

I'm also pleased that I've managed to turn off pretty much all the useless crap and clutter and stuff that I don't like and don't use (for example, you're able to make the taskbar pretty much old style, the way I like it, and disable all that MacOS-dock-like bullshit; I don't like the big icons style, and I don't EVER want to launch programs from the taskbar!), with the exception of not being able to make it not list Libraries in the left-side Explorer panes (libraries suck). My only real complaint is a tiny little cosmetic detail...and that is that the taskbar graphics look awfully flat and 2D compared to Vista. I really liked the deep, blue-and-orange theme in Vista. I hope that there is eventually an option to make it look a bit more like Vista Aero, but for now, I'm set.

This thing is awesome. Bravo, Microsoft.

Last edited by a moderator:
It feels very similar to Vista, but with some very nice new features. Feels more like a patched version of Vista than a new OS though.

I do like the RC version so far. My only complains would be the Libraries thing. I'm not sure I understand the idea behind it. And of course, that I can't pin the Games Explorer to the taskbar.

I kinda wish we could change the scrollbars color still, when not highlighted, it's white, and so is the background behind it..

[quote name='Dezuria']My only complains would be the Libraries thing. I'm not sure I understand the idea behind it.[/QUOTE]

Basically you can for example have you pictures in 20 different places on your computer, but view them as if they are all in one with the library. Kind of a way to make access easier

The upgrade package usually allows you to do a clean installation as long as you have a valid license of a prior version of Windows (most likely XP & Vista in this instance) by providing the CD or CD key during installation. For sure, 7 can online be installed over XP with a clean installation without having to "upgrade" to Vista. I'm pretty sure you can similarly do this with Vista as well.

bread's done
Back