Windows 7 OEM vs Retail

MrPnut

CAG Veteran
Friends,
With Windows 7 approaching real soon I thought I'd outline a couple things about OEM pricing (original equipment manufacturer) if you any of you don't know what that means. If you're like me, and you missed out on the sweet windows 7 upgrade deal you have an option of getting an OEM copy significantly cheaper than the retail prices. I'm sure > 90% of you guys are aware of OEM but I'll elaborate on it a bit for any of you who do not.

What OEM is:

OEM copies of software are machine licensed meant to be preloaded onto a computer prior to sale. Machine licensed meaning the license is not transferable. The first copy you install is tied to the computer it was installed to. You may, however, upgrade your computer. Certain things won't work, a motherboard for example. When you buy a new motherboard, you really aren't upgrading your computer.

OEM copies of software do not include the fancy packaging. They do not include manuals. All you get is a copy of the software and a license to use it on the machine you install it on. When you activate windows you're sending microsoft a number that identifies the hardware in your computer.

Like I said, you can do basic upgrades like ram, new hard disks, new cards however a deep upgrade such as a motherboard will change the computers id basically telling microsoft that you've installed 7 on a machine that it was not licensed to.

With that said (figures taken from newegg.com)

Windows 7 Home Premium full retail - $199.99
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM - $99.99

Windows 7 Professional full retail - $299.99
Windows 7 Professional OEM - $139.99

So if you're a guy like me who wants two copies of Windows 7 (one for laptop and desktop) and doesn't want to install Vista first, then install a Windows 7 upgrade, You can get TWO licenses for Windows 7 Professional OEM for around $280, less than one copy of the full version.

bread's done
Back