Windows 7 Pre order at best buy (good or bad)

Tdogg2k8

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Windows 7 Home will only be 49.99 if u pre order it
and Professional will be 79.99

is this worth it
or will it be easy to get Windows 7 by other means?

If my computer wasn't so old, I'd be all over this. I'm just going to wait til I get a new computer in time for Star Wars The Old Republic.

[quote name='Tdogg2k8']Windows 7 Home will only be 49.99 if u pre order it
and Professional will be 79.99

is this worth it
or will it be easy to get Windows 7 by other means?[/QUOTE]

Actually, Professional is 99. Amazon has same prices, but no sales tax. I already pre-ordered from them.

[quote name='crystalklear64']major differences between home and professional?[/QUOTE]

There are only two points for the home consumer. With professional you get remote desktop and windows xp mode.

is it really going to be neccessary for me to switch though?

Like i honestly dont see why people say vista is so bad?
except maybe the annoying updates and checking with me thing

[quote name='Tdogg2k8']is it really going to be neccessary for me to switch though?

Like i honestly dont see why people say vista is so bad?
except maybe the annoying updates and checking with me thing[/QUOTE]

The "checking with me thing" is known as user account control, and can be disabled fairly easy.

Here is a link with instructions:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...nt-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

And I suggest you do the Windows update...they should also automatically update video hardware drivers which will improve game performance.

And Vista is a good OS, granted you meet the specs.

On Windows 7, unless I get a free license from my University, I'll be waiting for a student deal on the Ultimate edition or just stick with the release candidate till early 2010.

Vista is a terrible OS

The $50 upgrade for Home (this is the MSFT price until July 11th, all retailers) is the best deal you're likely to (legally) get. I ordered it from Amazon (though I pay tax) just because I

Well i have the Toshiba A305-S6960

3gb Ram ddr2 (i just put upgraded to 4 gb, which i have another question about i'll put at t the end of this)

320 GB harddrive running Windows Vista Home Basic
Norton 360

I'm a light computer user... Itunes, VLC for videos, Websurfing, maybe play a low end game if i ever get time or money to buy a cpu one.

i think thats the toss up in my mind.. would it be worth me spending 50 bucks.

(although i almost feel like buying 2 or 3, since there is 3 limit at best buy then maybe selling the other 2 later make a profit. (Times are hard)

my other question after i put the extra gig of ram in my cpu.. my cpu still only registers it at 3 gigs in there?

is that because the other gig is being used with my graphics card perhaps
Its a run of the mill intel graphics media accerator one so nothing special

[quote name='Tdogg2k8']Well i have the Toshiba A305-S6960

3gb Ram ddr2 (i just put upgraded to 4 gb, which i have another question about i'll put at t the end of this)

320 GB harddrive running Windows Vista Home Basic
Norton 360

I'm a light computer user... Itunes, VLC for videos, Websurfing, maybe play a low end game if i ever get time or money to buy a cpu one.

i think thats the toss up in my mind.. would it be worth me spending 50 bucks.

(although i almost feel like buying 2 or 3, since there is 3 limit at best buy then maybe selling the other 2 later make a profit. (Times are hard)

my other question after i put the extra gig of ram in my cpu.. my cpu still only registers it at 3 gigs in there?

is that because the other gig is being used with my graphics card perhaps
Its a run of the mill intel graphics media accerator one so nothing special[/QUOTE]

You actually answered both of your own question here with your second question. You see the reason you are only seeing 3 GB of ram is that you are probably running 32 bit windows vista and 32 bit vista has a limit of ram it sees. 64 bit Vista or 64 bit windows 7 (which should come standard with the upgrade, look into it), will recognize all 4 gigs of ram.

oh ok.
Well since i have a native 32 bit laptop
'
if i updated it to 64 bit (my friend has a disc that i think updates home to ultimate or something) he got it free with something he brought) he was going to let me use it to up my laptop to 64 bit.

Should i even do that? like will that even matter for my computer with those specs?
and if i did do that
would i magically be able to expand my ram to like lets say 6 gbs if i got my self on a 4 gig ram stick?

bread's done
Back