windows 7 upgrade or buy separately? Suggestions?

Snake2715

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
I bought the wife a netbook. Windows 7 starter. She likes Windows 7 so far.

I am curious if we upgrade to the full windows 7 is that upgrade tied to that netbook forever? I dont want that situation, I would prefer to be able to move that to a new pc in the future if the situation arrives.

Also what is the best price to get windows 7, is that through student discounts?

I realize you are only supposed to have 1 copy (;icense) of the software on a machine at a time and that is not my concern.

Thanks

For a netbook all you really need is Ubuntu, its free and faster than windows. As with most netbook users, if all you are just going to do is surf the web and maybe do some light word processing, then you will be throwing your money away on windows.

Since some poeple apparently can't read i'll answer your question. No, it won't be tied to that one machine, you can get 7 home/pro for $60 with a student discount i believe.

[quote name='JolietJake']Since some poeple apparently can't read i'll answer your question. No, it won't be tied to that one machine, you can get 7 home/pro for $60 with a student discount i believe.[/QUOTE]

I'll amend this by saying that the website is win471.com you'll need a .edu email to be eligible.

When you buy a windows license, you're buying it to use on one machine at a time. Should you decide to erase it from the laptop and install it on a different computer, you should be ok and if there's any trouble registering, all you have to do is call in and explain.

I'll further amend by saying that I just recently moved up to 7 from xp and I love it and have zero complaints.

[quote name='JolietJake']
you can get 7 home/pro for $60 with a student discount i believe.[/QUOTE]

You can get Windows 2008 R2 for $0 with a student discount.

Windows 2008 R2 is a superset of Windows 7 pro. Why people who qualify for a student discount continue to choose the $60 Windows 7 over $0 Windows 2008 R2 blows my mind.

I'm not sure if it's a release candidate, but it is Windows Server 2008 R2. It's the server edition of Windows 7, basically. I don't know what differences there would be for a regular user.

interesting guys thanks.

She likes the netbook but given our location I am stuck on a usb dongle for internet access. We live pretty close to a tower and I game online with that connection all the time.

My newfound irritation is that my usb router that I used as an access point does not work with windows 7. Connectify is only for the full version of windows 7, not the starter.

I actually enabled a mifi access point for windows 7 but cant get the sharing tab to become available on my internet connection. I have basically spent 4-5 hours at this point and am giving up for the time.

I want my wife to be able to use her new netbook and if I want to jump on the net on the ps3/wii I can without interupting her. We have been doing this for 2-3 years now on our other laptop, but its a bitch on Windows 7 so far.

[quote name='QiG']I'll amend this by saying that the website is win471.com you'll need a .edu email to be eligible.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. I clicked on one of those links they had for people who don't have a .edu e-mail, filled out some info and scanned in a picture of my college student ID. I did however need to use a hotmail or msn address to sign up. I think this took a lot longer than those who had a .edu addy but just wanna throw out that it isn't a requirement.

bread's done
Back