Windows 7 Upgrade vs. Retail

hydro033

CAGiversary!
Ok, I'm confused. If you want to upgrade XP to Windows 7, you still need to do a clean install but apparently it still needs to be on the same partition. My question is do you get a new key code? Or do you use your XP one? Are OEM people screwed? Are you screwed if you lost your key?

Second, what if you have the Release candidate? Can I just upgrade from that for $50?

In the Windows 7 install process, if it's an upgrade, you're gonna be prompted "Put in the disc of your previous Windows version" or something like that, and it's gonna make sure it's a full version of XP or Vista, then it's gonna ask you to be back in Windows 7 and it's gonna install.

So this means different things for the two of you.

For hydro, sounds like you don't have the XP disc because it came preinstalled, and for you I'm pretty sure you'll need to get a disc. Not sure what the solution is for this, if MSFT has some sort of process for it, maybe they can authorize you online like they did with some Vista people. Perhaps your computer manufacturer is responsible for it (they might be able to sell you an OEM XP disc). Not sure. Personally, if I were you, I'd just download an XP .iso and burn it.

HowStern, you'd have no problems upgrading to Windows 7 with that (an OEM disc), but I'd suggest passing on it and getting the $50 upgrade, just use some other OS in the interim (Windows 7 RC or Linux if you want free, or some other Windows you have hanging around)... saving $60 for just an hour or two's worth of trouble (that is, reinstalling an OS in a couple months) is worth it, imo.

Wouldn't HowStern need that anyways, as it will check for a previous verison of Windows on the upgrade, so he can't just go from the RC or Linux to using the upgrade, he would need to come from either XP or Vista.

Well, yeah, it assumes he has (or can easily obtain) a disc of full XP or Vista... but I figured that's true of pretty much everyone. If he doesn't have a XP or Vista disc and cannot easily obtain either then it isn't a good option.

Ahh. I don't think I have either. I might have one of XP buried under a billion things. Oh well $100 for both vista and 7 isn't too bad.

That sucks, I don't have the windows dvd, they didn't give me any dvds when I bought my laptop. There is a reset feature on my laptop though.

You probably have the option of making discs. In the start menu search for "recovery disc creator" or something like that. Different brands call it different things.

Here's a question I have, if anyone can answer it.

I currently have an OEM copy of XP installed on my machine and I know OEM OSes are tied to the motherboard (meaning I can't upgrade my mobo to a different model unless I buy another copy of the OS).

But if I get the W7 upgrade disc, could I put in a new and completely different motherboard, then install W7 using the upgrade disc... would that work?

[quote name='Jest']You probably have the option of making discs. In the start menu search for "recovery disc creator" or something like that. Different brands call it different things.[/QUOTE]

Hmm thanks for that, nothing came up in the search start menu.

I also read that if you have Vista Business or Vista Ultimate and you want to upgrade to 7 Premium, it is technically a DOWNGRADE and you have to do a clean install. I personally would recommend a clean install anyways, as that is what I plan on doing. I have some free copies of Vista Business that my college let us have....they have a nice program where they offer free Microsoft software for students. So, they let you download the ISO with a key. I plan on using that to upgrade, but I know I have to do a clean install anyways.....ordering now from Best Buy (use my RZ points)

bread's done
Back