Windows 8 for $15

CoachHines

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
EDIT: It seems people are still being able to get the exploit to work. Check the most recent posts to get caught up and good luck.

Not exactly gaming related but I'm sure people can appreciate a good deal when you see it.

Go to https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com and enter one of these details (if you bought a computer in the past year you could just enter your own details). The first one worked for me but I've posted extras just in case.

Windows 7 PC purchase information
Date of purchase *10/25.2012
Name of retailer * Best Buy
PC Brand *Dell
PC Model * Z14

PC Brand *Gateway
PC Model * NE56R12U

PC Brand *HP
PC Model * HP Butterfly Blossom

PC Brand *Acer
PC Model * AS5733-6838

You will get an email right away with the promo code and instructions.

EDIT: Microsoft has fixed the exploit now. You will be asked for a Windows 7 serial key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this is the typical way to do it, but I went to the upgrade site linked to by the OP, entered the computer details, and the website spit out a code for me. Downloaded and installed the Windows Upgrade Assistant; it checked my computer, and led me through the process of buying the upgrade to Pro. On the checkout screen, I entered the discount code they'd given me, paid (just under $16 w/ tax), and let the Assistant do its thing. They sent me a product key, and after a few minutes of downloading, analyzing, and checking compatibility with currently installed apps, it popped up w/ a dialog box that prompted me to install right away, or create install media (on a USB device or an .ISO that I could burn to disk). Pretty straightforward (although, I may have gotten the order of a couple of those steps wrong...). Disappointed that a few of my apps aren't Win8 compatible, but at least MS gave me a heads up, rather then just installing and leaving me to beat my head against a wall trying to figure out why they'd suddenly started working and sit around waiting for a compatibility patch/pay for an upgrade to the latest version...

**edit** I didn't have to enter my current product key, but I think you have to run the Assistant from a legit copy of Windows, and you obviously have to have a computer that's capable of running Win8 Pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Calinks']Yea I lost all my word, excel, stuff. Anyway to get that back?[/QUOTE]

You lost your documents? I still have my Office 2010 programs and files. While I didn't really check for lost files, it seems like everything is in order.

I have them but I can use them or anything because the programs are gone. I no longer have word or excel even though I still have my files. This is bad because I will be needing to use Excel in about a week.

I went to the link the TC posted and enter the computer details, but it's asking me for a Windows 7 Serial Key before I get to the actual last step?

[quote name='CoachHines']I think Microsoft has fixed the exploit hence why you are being asked for the serial key.[/QUOTE]

I see...follow up question then...does using the Windows 8 Pro upgrade invalidate the Windows 7 key I used to get the Windows 8 Pro key in the first place? I might not like Windows 8 and want to downgrade. I would appreciate it if anybody can help.

[quote name='TheHumanSpider']I see...follow up question then...does using the Windows 8 Pro upgrade invalidate the Windows 7 key I used to get the Windows 8 Pro key in the first place? I might not like Windows 8 and want to downgrade. I would appreciate it if anybody can help.[/QUOTE]

It does not. Worst case scenario you can always create a partition on your HDD/SSD and have both.

Anyone else has issues adjusting brightness?

I've already selected automated brightness off. Updates windows. Refreshed windows. Updated RADEON drives.

It's asking me for my existing serial. I enter one I had before but says its not valid. How are you guys getting this to work?

Sounds like it is dead. I never had to enter a serial number. They really should just make this for all copies of windows purchased in that time frame and not for computers bought.

Ever since I have gotten 8 I have been have issues with things running slowly. Youtube locks everything up and netflix is giving me problems.

Still works for people who legit bought a new PC this past year. I just got mine.

EDIT: You'll need to provide your Windows 7 product key that came with your PC. Usually, this is on the case somewhere (The OEM Sticker)

This has been dead for a bit now. They fixed the loophole. Wasn't planning on getting win 8, even for $15. But now regret I didn't just do this. Just in case I wanted it later on for some reason.

Glad that I grabbed this the night before the loophole was fixed. I'm a Mac user but occasionally boot into Windows to run certain programs plus I'm pretty sure this could be put on up to 5 computers so if I get another computer in the future it will be handy.

I'm pretty sure it's just one licence. Haven't tried but I sure hope I'm wrong.

I'm running it on my macbook as well, but I keep getting a BSD with Bad_Pool_Header error which is very annoying.

I got Windows 8 on day one and it is growing on me, but that does not excuse the fact my computer is running super slow since I installed it. I sort of figured the loophole was going to get fixed sooner or later, so I went on ahead a few days later after launch and got another code for my laptop which I had already put 7 on it when that first came out. I have not upgraded that yet, just not in a rush yet. I only upgraded my desktop as I was using XP on it and I will do the lap when I get a chance. Other than my computer running real slow I have no problem with 8 at all.

Guys, the promo still works if you go through the offer with internet explorer. I initially tried it with firefox and I got asked for the product key. I tried again in IE and it went through without asking for any key!

[quote name='daewoo']Guys, the promo still works if you go through the offer with internet explorer. I initially tried it with firefox and I got asked for the product key. I tried again in IE and it went through without asking for any key![/QUOTE]

^ Confirmed

Thanks man :applause:

Yup! Looks to be working.

Grabbed a discount code but have not entered it to see if it will accept it though.

So bizarre, I wonder why it went back to being "glitched" again. Makes me paranoid that its just a trap set by Microsoft...

[quote name='ZombieFever']Yup! Looks to be working.

Grabbed a discount code but have not entered it to see if it will accept it though.

So bizarre, I wonder why it went back to being "glitched" again. Makes me paranoid that its just a trap set by Microsoft...[/QUOTE]
Nah it's not a trick. I already cashed in a promo code from the first time they did this. Digital River is the one who is contracted by MS.

Once you get your promo code you're good to go. :)

[quote name='ZombieFever']Yup! Looks to be working.

So bizarre, I wonder why it went back to being "glitched" again. Makes me paranoid that its just a trap set by Microsoft...[/QUOTE]

Maybe the uptake on Win8 hasn't been as good as they had hoped. So the glitch is back for whatever reason. Maybe it only works on the 2nd Monday of every month ;)

Anyone that order the back up disc get there's yet?
It shipped on Nov. 2 via USPS without a tracking number and they keep saying it take 8 business which they consider to be Mon-Fri.
What company would ship a product via USPS without a tracking number!!!
I hope it didn't get lost in the mess called USPS. I want the discs because have Windows 2000's through Windows 7 on CD/DVD with Microsoft Checksums.

I don't know what some of you are talking about with Windows 7 product keys and whatnot.
I just got Windows 8 using this deal and my PC is several years old and running Vista.
The only hitch is that the upgrade advisor downloaded the 32bit version(my copy of Vista is 32bit) so I had to torrent the 64bit install image in order to get the 64bit version of Windows 8.

I don't know why, but I keep expecting the disc to be in a cheap sleeve and be something that I could have burned myself. Can someone post if it is the OEM and what type of case it came in. Maybe even post a pic when they get it. I'm holding out on this to see what the disc is like.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Well, after watching a handful of videos, I think I'll pass.

Windows 8 looks great for tablets, but I'm just not ready to have it as my main OS on my PC.[/QUOTE]

Disable Metro.. Win8 is faster and more efficient then win7

[quote name='sendme']I don't know why, but I keep expecting the disc to be in a cheap sleeve and be something that I could have burned myself. Can someone post if it is the OEM and what type of case it came in. Maybe even post a pic when they get it. I'm holding out on this to see what the disc is like.[/QUOTE]

I can almost guarantee you it will be in a cheap sleeve, with no case, and no manual.
Most likely look like this (Windows 7 cheap upgrade): http://images.tweaktown.com/news/1/3/13186_401.jpg

Anyone have problems watching netflix streaming since upgrading? Netflix will be fine for about 45 seconds then the audio starts going out of sync and my computer starts to lock up.

[quote name='ShocWave']I can almost guarantee you it will be in a cheap sleeve, with no case, and no manual.
Most likely look like this (Windows 7 cheap upgrade): http://images.tweaktown.com/news/1/3/13186_401.jpg[/QUOTE]

That would be fine for me then. I can just find a case. I might bight the bullet and pay the 15 for the download and then the 15 for the disc to put it on my laptop, unless I can find the retail upgrade for around the same price.

I only plan to run it on my laptop. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself to pay for it. I really want the disc and couldn't care less about downloading it.

[quote name='sendme']I only plan to run it on my laptop. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself to pay for it. I really want the disc and couldn't care less about downloading it.[/QUOTE]

Ahh!

Well, when you get the download, you get the option to make an ISO file that you can burn to disc or put on a bootable USB stick so you can install it wherever. No need to pay the extra for the disc, if you don't want! :)

Hey guys... I just got a laptop with Windows 8 (Core). What's the cheapest option to upgrade to Pro? The fuckin Windows 8 Pro Pack is $69.99!

PS: I have the code to buy the upgrade for $15, but I don't know (and don't think that) if the code will work for what I want to do.

Just get the promo code and run the upgrade assistant from a PC that has an older version of windows. and then use the key that it gives you to do a clean install on your system. You should see the discount before it asks you for payment info.

bread's done
Back