Windows Media Player

greenbags125

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Why does everyone think WMP is horrible? I personally think its the best video player on the market for free. Are there any other worthy players that I just don't know about? Quicktime is only good for MP4 files and Real Player is horrible. For music, nothing beats iTunes. Which players do you guys prefer. I know my iTunes preference is skewed since I have an iPod.

[quote name='greenbags125']Why is WMP not good or not as good?[/QUOTE]

I prefer the simplicity of the other players. Not to mention they come preloaded with codecs to play various filetypes.

I also like the skins. :)

I wouldn't say it's bad, I just don't like how much of a resource hog WMP is... WMP Classic is great, I just use that instread.

WMP isn't free in any way. It's a proprietary component of the Windows operating system, and one of the media players that enable content holders to use DRM on their content.

It also doesn't know how to handle subtitle files (.sub, .srt). Personally, I like mplayer, BSPlayer, and VLC.

For music, it's all about foobar2000. Its tweakability is unrivaled.

[quote name='Moxio']I prefer the simplicity of the other players. Not to mention they come preloaded with codecs to play various filetypes.[/QUOTE]

Most will come with the various filters needed to play container files (Matroska, Ogg Vorbis). However, from what I can tell, most of the players still use direct show filters.

[quote name='P0ldy']WMP isn't free in any way. It's a proprietary component of the Windows operating system, and one of the media players that enable content holders to use DRM on their content.[/QUOTE]
Just means you can't download it for Linux of Mac.

[quote name='Moxio'] It also doesn't know how to handle subtitle files (.sub, .srt). Personally, I like mplayer, BSPlayer, and VLC.[/QUOTE]
With the proper Directshow filters, it can handle subtitles just fine, whether they're part of an Ogg or Matroska file or sitting right next to the file in the same directory with the same name. I used to use one program which I can't remember the name of anymore, but I'm using FFDshow nowadays to handle all my subtitle needs.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Most will come with the various filters needed to play container files (Matroska, Ogg Vorbis). However, from what I can tell, most of the players still use direct show filters.

Just means you can't download it for Linux of Mac.

With the proper Directshow filters, it can handle subtitles just fine, whether they're part of an Ogg or Matroska file or sitting right next to the file in the same directory with the same name. I used to use one program which I can't remember the name of anymore, but I'm using FFDshow nowadays to handle all my subtitle needs.[/QUOTE]

:( I didn't say the last quote. :lol:

But I've never tried adding ds filters... sounds interesting.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Just means you can't download it for Linux of Mac.[/quote]
No, that's not all it means, but that's important. It also means you can't play DRM'd files with ANY player--Windows or not--besides WMP. And I am opposed to any kind of DRM, so it's also a philosophical issue.

With the proper Directshow filters, it can handle subtitles just fine, whether they're part of an Ogg or Matroska file or sitting right next to the file in the same directory with the same name. I used to use one program which I can't remember the name of anymore, but I'm using FFDshow nowadays to handle all my subtitle needs.
I'm not interested in WMP's [probably proprietary] filters.

I use many different players. Winamp is still great, JetAudio, quitessential player is really nice, VLC, etc.

They're pretty good in their own ways, but WMP is just the worst IMO. I will never touch it again.

[quote name='Moxio']But I've never tried adding ds filters... sounds interesting.[/QUOTE]
Adding directshow filters is essentially just installing DivX, or FFDshow. I use FFDshow for most of my VIdeo and AUdio needs. I use WMP 6.4, WMP 10 and MPC. WMP is by far the best at running WMV and ASF files. MPC has the best features for regular use for OGM, MKV and AVI files. WMP 6.4 is by far the most compatible player around.

[quote name='P0ldy']No, that's not all it means, but that's important. It also means you can't play DRM'd files with ANY player--Windows or not--besides WMP. And I am opposed to any kind of DRM, so it's also a philosophical issue.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what the argument is. You're saying you dislike WMP (regardless of whether it's old 6.4 version or 8-10) solely because the possibility for DRM wrapped content could exist for it? I find that to be a pretty poor argument. Sure, I dislike DRM as well, but I'm not going to hate a player that runs the DRM just because it can run the DRM file.

[quote name='P0ldy'] I'm not interested in WMP's [probably proprietary] filters.[/QUOTE]Plenty exist through third parties...but something tells me you're not the most knoweledgeable about this sort of thing. Most (if not all) windows-based media players use Directshow filters for running the video and many times audio (the Codec will almost always need directshow, short of possibly mpeg-1, whereas the container sometimes may need it, and other times not. I know that MPC doesn't need directshow filters for OGM, MKV and MP4, but will need Directshow filters for DivX, mp3, etc).

[quote name='capitalist_mao']You're saying you dislike WMP (regardless of whether it's old 6.4 version or 8-10) solely because the possibility for DRM wrapped content could exist for it?[/quote]
Solely? No, I never said that. Clear?

Sure, I dislike DRM as well, but I'm not going to hate a player that runs the DRM just because it can run the DRM file.
Where did I say I 'hate[d]' it for any reason? I don't like it and don't use it for various reasons, and DRM's one of them. It's representative of the IP conglomerates, practices, and laws which I do hate.

Plenty exist through third parties...but something tells me you're not the most knoweledgeable about this sort of thing.
So 'a lot of software is 3rd party'. Great insight. I don't mind installing codecs; generally, that's to be expected. However, as I said you incorrectly inferred that DRM is "solely" my reason for disliking WMP, you seem to think I expect everything to be bundled with the player. I don't. Please stop trolling my posts.

Most (if not all) windows-based media players use Directshow filters for running the video and many times audio (the Codec will almost always need directshow, short of possibly mpeg-1, whereas the container sometimes may need it, and other times not. I know that MPC doesn't need directshow filters for OGM, MKV and MP4, but will need Directshow filters for DivX, mp3, etc).
DivX and MP3 are also patented technologies and, as such, "unfree." Since MS has paid the royalties, they can include support in them in DirectShow. That's why MPC doesn't have native support for them, nor do many Linux distributions. I don't particularly like DivX and always encode with XviD, but MP3 is 'fine' with me as a format except the attitude of its patent holders.

Why are you bringing this unrelated stuff up again? I did misinterpret you suggesting 'filters' to mean simply 'plugins' for WMP, not ffdshow.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Where's the function to play internet radio on WMP10? It used to be a tab on 9 I think, but I can't find it now.[/QUOTE]Anyone?

DivX is free. Check out the "free download"
http://www.divx.com/divx/

Unless, of course, you have a different defintion of what free is. And, no, I'm not refering to the coder part of "codec", but only the viewing part of the program, which is most certainly free. The only coders I can think of that have remotely cost money are many different mpeg-2 decoders (such as Intervideo's files).

But, that's beside the point. I preceded my point by saying I was confused with what your point was. The only reasons you listed dislike WMP for is that it has no native support for subtitles and that it can be used for DRM wrapped media. Meanwhile, if these are the only two reasons you list, don't expect me to be able to infer much else, nor call me a troll when I fail to read your mind and discover the several other (hidden) reasons on the matter. If you talk about how terrible a program WMP is, and only list two (rather obscure, might I add) reasons, it's hard not to just comment on those two. However, I assume you're just full of piss and vinegar during that bout on PSUs we had.

Whatever the case may be, functionality of WMP 6.4 is practically the same as most other media players out there. What 6.4 lacks are built in filters of any sort. WMP 10 has, essentially, the same functionality as WMP 6.4 with a few more options and things included (such as a playlist). Both are directly reliant on Directshow filters (whether built in or installed from third parties) for video playback, audio playback, menus, subtitles and container compatibility. Having little native support is most certainly not a downfall, considering how easily one can build DS filters for 6.4.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Anyone?[/QUOTE]
Um, I just drop the internet station's playlist into the media player. For instance, on shoutcast, there's an m3u you can download, which I use.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']DivX is free. Check out the "free download"
http://www.divx.com/divx/

Unless, of course, you have a different defintion of what free is. And, no, I'm not refering to the coder part of "codec", but only the viewing part of the program, which is most certainly free. The only coders I can think of that have remotely cost money are many different mpeg-2 decoders (such as Intervideo's files).[/quote]
Yes, I'm referring to the "free as in speech" free, not "free as in beer."

But, that's beside the point. I preceded my point by saying I was confused with what your point was. The only reasons you listed dislike WMP for is that it has no native support for subtitles and that it can be used for DRM wrapped media. Meanwhile, if these are the only two reasons you list, don't expect me to be able to infer much else, nor call me a troll when I fail to read your mind and discover the several other (hidden) reasons on the matter. If you talk about how terrible a program WMP is, and only list two (rather obscure, might I add) reasons, it's hard not to just comment on those two. However, I assume you're just full of piss and vinegar during that bout on PSUs we had.
I was in a rush when I made the post and debated whether or not to post it at all. Probably shouldn't have now, but anyway. You could just ask, you know.

Whatever the case may be, functionality of WMP 6.4 is practically the same as most other media players out there. What 6.4 lacks are built in filters of any sort. WMP 10 has, essentially, the same functionality as WMP 6.4 with a few more options and things included (such as a playlist). Both are directly reliant on Directshow filters (whether built in or installed from third parties) for video playback, audio playback, menus, subtitles and container compatibility. Having little native support is most certainly not a downfall, considering how easily one can build DS filters for 6.4.
I'm not really talking about some very old version of WMP. Ancient WMP isn't much different than MPC in way of features, and lack of bloat. Ancient WMP also didn't support DRM, one thing I did hasten to mention (so, obviously, how could I be talking about it?). But most people don't hang on to vintage programs, especially when Windows Update thinks the best idea is to upgrade to the latest version and often not giving you a choice otherwise.

[quote name='P0ldy']I'm not really talking about some very old version of WMP. Ancient WMP isn't much different than MPC in way of features, and lack of bloat. Ancient WMP also didn't support DRM, one thing I did hasten to mention (so, obviously, how could I be talking about it?). But most people don't hang on to vintage programs, especially when Windows Update thinks the best idea is to upgrade to the latest version and often not giving you a choice otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\

You'll find a copy of "mplayer2.exe" sitting in the directory. That is WMP 6.4. Regardless of which version of WMP is installed on your computer, a copy of mplayer2.exe will be sitting in the directory and will be able to be used. I know a link for 6.4 isn't included in the start menu, but it will always be on the computer.

Also, despite the fact that one can play DRM files on WMP 10, it still doesn't make it a terrible program. WMP 7 was pretty bad. WMP 8 and 9 were so-so, but 10 is quite fast, uses only a couple more megs of memory than MPC and WMP 6.4, and still has a lot of functionality for other purposes, like playing DVDs (however, I do tend to use MPC more for DVDs).

Interesting. Shame it's hidden away and isn't a default. Heh, and two files beside it is EULA.txt. Another good reason.

bread's done
Back